Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2017, 02:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser

Day 9: Jispa to Chandigarh

We took an early start that day hoping to make chandigarh for the night which we did. The Cruiser was feeling a bit sluggish for some reason since our departure from Pangong the previous day. Having passed through a small sandstorm in Nubra valley and Shyok we guessed that the airfilter had to be choked. So we stopped at Koksar at a fairly large tyre shop, removed the filter which must have been holding atleast half a kilo (if not more) of sand. The gentleman at the shop was shocked to see that as were we and after a tapping it off he spent 15 mins blowing pressurized air into it after which we fit it back. The difference was almost immediately noticeable with the car suddenly feeling a lot eager.

The approach to Rohtang was a mess as it usually is and we made slow progress. Nearing the top the road improved considerably and descent was quite smooth. Rohtang top was deserted being a weekday and we stopped for pics near the Rohtang Frog (a chubbier version of its Khardungla brother). After that we stopped for lunch at Johnson’s Café at Manali for lunch. By 2pm we were on the road and after the Aut tunnel we had nonstop rain all the way until Anand Sahib. Driving up the twisties thru Bilaspur was a nightmare with incessant rain hitting us compounded by super heavy truck traffic. We rolled into Chandigarh just after midnite.
Some pics from that day

At Tandi on the way back
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160804_082055.jpg

My favorite waterfall at Nimmu
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160804_091145.jpg

At Rohtang Top
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160804_104433.jpg

At the Gramphoo Bifurcation towards Spiti valley
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160804_100130.jpg

Pics of the Cruiser taking a break at the Top
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-dsc00795.jpg

Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-dsc00792.jpg

The Chubby Rohtang Frog
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-dsc00796.jpg
satan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:47   #32
BHPian

Satan, what a vehicle you have there! It really looks like it's right at home in it's natural habitat in the mountains.

I have done large tracts of your route in October '16 when a group of three of us did a Chandigarh to Chandigarh drive through the Pangi, Lahaul, Spiti and Lingti valleys of Himachal. We were in a Scorpio and on the road for 17 days.

Your travelogue brings back a lot of memories from our trip. Thanks for this.
Old 23rd May 2017, 23:25   #33
BHPian

Day 10: Chandigarh to Udaipur

We left Chandigerh around 7am with a view to hitting Gujarat for the night. The day was quite non eventful and we hotfooted it taking 2 hour turns driving and made good progress all the way upto Jaipur where we stopped for a quick bite. However we encountered a massive snarl outside Udaipur which held us up for an hour and a half, so we decided to break journey there and enter the city. Checked in at RJTDC Hotel Kajri by 9pm which had average value for money rooms but an excellent Rajasthani Thali that we polished off for dinner. Very few pics from that day

An accident enroute where a truck had nearly taken out defunct a Toll booth
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160805_171334.jpg

Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160805_171339.jpg

Hotel Kajri Udaipur. Definitely recommended for a night halt. Awesome thali and great hospitality with average rooms.
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160805_224734.jpg

Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160805_224852.jpg

Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160806_062222.jpg
satan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:50   #34
BHPian

That's one beautiful trip and excellent travelogue. Kudos
Alfa Romeo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 20:30   #35
BHPian

Final Day 11: Udaipur to Bombay

An early morning start at 6am from Udaipur had us in Bombay for 5pm. We stopped for lunch at the Parsi Da Dhaba before Charoti after which we drove straight to Gev’s workshop. Left the cruiser there unpacked everything into his Skoda and headed home. Over the next few days the car was serviced and the interior detail cleaned. The engine oil was changed and we placed away all spares from the trip for this year’s journey… Coming soon.

The trip meter reading at the end in Bombay
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160806_184905.jpg

The battle scarred Cruiser at the workshop that evening
Ladakh in a Toyota Landcruiser-20160806_185117.jpg

Signing off now. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed the video

Best,
Neville
satan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 22:10   #36
BHPian

Wonderful Travelogue and what a car to take to the Mountains! I remember seeing the HDJ101 on TBHP classifieds had even recommended a few friends to go for it. I think you have now decided to keep it for yourself.

I see that you also have a LC200. A few details about it would be great like performance, how you got it and how much you got it for ?(in a different thread that is.)
I owned a Qualis and currently own an Innova and Fortuner so the next step is the LC200 for me but preowned. So your inputs regarding the same would be great.

Last edited by dean5545 : 26th May 2017 at 22:12.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 02:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Wonderful Travelogue and what a car to take to the Mountains! I remember seeing the HDJ101 on TBHP classifieds had even recommended a few friends to go for it. I think you have now decided to keep it for yourself.

I see that you also have a LC200. A few details about it would be great like performance, how you got it and how much you got it for ?(in a different thread that is.)
I owned a Qualis and currently own an Innova and Fortuner so the next step is the LC200 for me but preowned. So your inputs regarding the same would be great.
Thanks. You are right when you say that I did put up the 101 for sale back in 2015 when i moved but then looking at the number of time wasters I encountered i decided to keep her. Yes i do have a pre-owned LC 200 in the UK which is a different beast in its own way (more power, quicker, newer,etc). Fortunately for TLC fans like me the UK is a great 2nd hand car market as these are looked down upon by our stiff upper lipped locals zooming around in their Range Rovers. So you can easily get a 200 here for the price of a new 2wd fortuner. Will start a thread on the 200 at some point.
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 16:18   #38
BHPian

Last year during Jul & Aug 2017, three of us TBHPians, Genesis, Jay Smokes Leaves and I did a trip to lesser visited TsoMoriri and TsoKar the long way around in our respective Trucks. The route was Bombay - Chandigarh - Dalhousie - Sach pass - Ishtyari Tyari - Udaipur - Jispa - Tso Morriri - Tso Kar - Manali - Jaipur - Bombay.

Here are two videos of that trip.

Last edited by satan : 23rd April 2018 at 16:18. Reason: syntax correction
satan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 02:07   #39
Team-BHP Support

Don't know how I had missed this travelogue before. Went through all of it in one go. The 19 year old Land Cruiser is still a beauty even in this era!
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 06:46   #40
Team-BHP Support

Cant believe i missed this travelogue earlier, and i am glad to have come across it, almost a year later! Finished reading it in one go, and loved it!

Looking forward to more.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2018, 16:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Mr Funnel is just a funnel with 2 particulate filters that trap water and kerosene if present in Diesel. So you pour the diesel into the tank thru the funnel and if there are impurities they are retained by the funnel. You can look up more details on their website www.mrfunnel.com

There was only place we found a discrepancy besides which we were pleasantly surprised to get clean fuel everywhere.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful info. When I checked the website, its states only water & debris removal - no kerosene removal.
Have you experienced the kerosene removal ? Pls share your thoughts !
Thanks in Advance !
Old 29th April 2018, 17:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Thanks for sharing this wonderful info. When I checked the website, its states only water & debris removal - no kerosene removal.
Have you experienced the kerosene removal ? Pls share your thoughts !
Thanks in Advance !
No this was my bad. The funnel just separates water and debris.
satan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 23:41   #43

Wow. Just wow. Superb writing and detailing. I just bought a LC100 and by reading this thread, I just can't wait to experience this same itinerary. Although having someone like Gev is a must. Videos and photos are awesome. I finally got some reassurance that owning an old Landcruiser is a right decision!
abhi27 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed