Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 18:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang

Awesome mate, simply awesome. You seem to be the new torch bearer for off the grid expeditions on the forum now. Indeed it is once in a life time kind of adventure, makes the Leh circuit look like the proverbial walk in the park. Hats off to your zeal and dedication in charting the new routes. Excellent pics and narration as usual. Gabru seemed to have relished the trip but I just wonder what it is between you and the uniforms, they seem to be attracted to you like moths to the flame.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 18:59   #32
BHPian

Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang

Mesmerising, spellbound, amazing, mind blowing, etc... none of these words come close to describing the feeling I had going through the travelogue. It was a feeling of owning a "Gabru" and just hitting the road to Nepal.

This is a stellar achievement and surely an experience you will never forget and a travelogue I will never forget. For sure development in the area will bring a lot of ease to the lives of people living there, but It will rob travel freaks like us to travel to the less known places in terrains as challenging as this. And anyways, I don't think we have ever justified the benefits of development around the world. Only made things things worse often. Some places should just be left untouched and pristine for the first enthusiasts like us to explore.

I am compelled to say... take a bow!
justwheels is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 20:41   #33
BHPian

Absolutely wonderful journey jaysmokesleaves and Genesis!!

Threads like these keep my dream alive for doing at least one such trip. Thank you for sharing the details and amazing pics.

Regards,
aghate
aghate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 20:51   #34
BHPian

Wow this is awesome. Very informed thread about Mustang. Thanks for sharing and for showing us those beautiful vistas.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 20:57   #35
BHPian

I believe that's the Garmin 2567LM right? I have one too and its just amazing with smartphone connectivity and all.

Now coming to the travelogue I have just one thing to say. SPEECHLESS!

Absolutely amazing feat man, congratulations!
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 21:35   #36
BHPian

When you said little trip to Nepal and I said great, I'll follow your footsteps in October, little did I know that you'll land up in such hard to follow and difficult to reach place.

This seems really off even from the off the beaten track. Kudos to you for managing this in double quick time, helped no less by the transition from Veeru to Gabru I suppose.

And as I've told you earlier, I'm always amazed by those non stop marathon runs that you manage on the highways.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 21:40   #37
BHPian

This is one of the most amazing travelogues I've read (and seen) here. Such a fantastic experience. Inspiring!
911er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 23:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Awesome mate, simply awesome. You seem to be the new torch bearer for off the grid expeditions on the forum now. Indeed it is once in a life time kind of adventure, makes the Leh circuit look like the proverbial walk in the park. Hats off to your zeal and dedication in charting the new routes. Excellent pics and narration as usual. Gabru seemed to have relished the trip but I just wonder what it is between you and the uniforms, they seem to be attracted to you like moths to the flame.
Haha thanks. Im not sure what it is about me and uniforms. A few more mins there and this would most definitely become a repeat episode of Arunachal but this time it wudve become movie material with a few chinese faces in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Mesmerising, spellbound, amazing, mind blowing, etc... none of these words come close to describing the feeling I had going through the travelogue. It was a feeling of owning a "Gabru" and just hitting the road to Nepal.

This is a stellar achievement and surely an experience you will never forget and a travelogue I will never forget. For sure development in the area will bring a lot of ease to the lives of people living there, but It will rob travel freaks like us to travel to the less known places in terrains as challenging as this. And anyways, I don't think we have ever justified the benefits of development around the world. Only made things things worse often. Some places should just be left untouched and pristine for the first enthusiasts like us to explore.

I am compelled to say... take a bow!
Glad i could make u feel like u did the journey urself.
From our conversations with some locals, they arent very happy with the impending loss of their culture and habitat which development will bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Absolutely wonderful journey jaysmokesleaves and Genesis!!

Threads like these keep my dream alive for doing at least one such trip. Thank you for sharing the details and amazing pics.

Regards,
aghate
Go and do it. If u think u wont do. When u do it u wont think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
I believe that's the Garmin 2567LM right? I have one too and its just amazing with smartphone connectivity and all.

Now coming to the travelogue I have just one thing to say. SPEECHLESS!

Absolutely amazing feat man, congratulations!
No idea about the Garmin. It belongs to genesis and he followed it, i was clueless about its use. I use a map book, printouts,people, landmarks, wind, sun and my gut feelings to find my way. Still old school.. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
When you said little trip to Nepal and I said great, I'll follow your footsteps in October, little did I know that you'll land up in such hard to follow and difficult to reach place.

This seems really off even from the off the beaten track. Kudos to you for managing this in double quick time, helped no less by the transition from Veeru to Gabru I suppose.

And as I've told you earlier, I'm always amazed by those non stop marathon runs that you manage on the highways.
I didn't want to break ur heart when u said u wud go in Oct. The window to go to Lo Manthang is very small, much smaller than the LEH window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
This is one of the most amazing travelogues I've read (and seen) here. Such a fantastic experience. Inspiring!
Cheers.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 30th May 2017 at 23:56.
Old 31st May 2017, 01:06   #39
BHPian

Spiti and Leh pale in comparison to this!
my hometown is near the Raxaul border and a few of us had done Jomsom aeons ago when we were a lot younger on a bike ...

Regions beyond Jomsom (barring Muktinath) were spoken of in hushed tones back then !

Went to Spiti and Leh subsequently but that region has always held a special charm for me.. Yet could never gather the courage to go again as the old version of me finds a tad beyond a sprinkling of snow on a loop scary!

Thanks to show us what lies beyond..

Last edited by abhi182 : 31st May 2017 at 01:10.
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 10:10   #40
BHPian

Stunning adventure, spirit, vehicle, pictures, writing. 'Nuff said!
Uthappa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 12:55   #41
BHPian

This is one of the most exciting travelogues I have ever read. The pictures and the write-ups are so very fabulous that it seems as if I too was travelling with you. Simply mind blowing experience you've penned down here.

I come from the North-East (Assam) and can vaguely recall our family trip to Nepal/Kathmandu (I was in second standard then). We made our trip in our very well maintained Premier Padmini (Fiat) and yes, I do recall the names like Pokhra, etc.

Guys, you've rejuvenated me from my long pending exciting drives like these. In fact, after reading your post, I called up couple of my travel buddies to read your post and start planning a trip. That's the result of your impactful travelogue. Kudos!
palsaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 13:44   #42
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue !

I have been toying up with the idea of doing the Lower Mustang and Manang valley circuit on my motorcycle but due to work commitments, it looks very difficult this year. Your travelogue is very detailed and aided with lovely photographs too. It will be really helpful when I plan my trip to the Mustang Valley, next year maybe.

Thanks for sharing. Rated it 5-stars.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 15:13   #43
BHPian

Well, this is easily one of the most inspirational and remarkable travelogues on this forum.

Whew. What a drive. For sheer guts, skill and determination, you and Genesis stand tall.

Bravo.

A poem by Robert Frost may perhaps mark your experience.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
Secretariat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 18:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Spiti and Leh pale in comparison to this!
my hometown is near the Raxaul border and a few of us had done Jomsom aeons ago when we were a lot younger on a bike ...

Regions beyond Jomsom (barring Muktinath) were spoken of in hushed tones back then !

Went to Spiti and Leh subsequently but that region has always held a special charm for me.. Yet could never gather the courage to go again as the old version of me finds a tad beyond a sprinkling of snow on a loop scary!

Thanks to show us what lies beyond..
Spiti and Leh have a flavor of their own. Upper Mustang however differs from the perspective of its accessibility, remoteness and absolute lack of tourist clutter.
Its like what Spiti and Ladakh were over a decade ago. Probably a decade from now, Lo Manthang may be referred to in the same to as we refer to Spiti & Leh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsaumik View Post
This is one of the most exciting travelogues I have ever read. The pictures and the write-ups are so very fabulous that it seems as if I too was travelling with you. Simply mind blowing experience you've penned down here.

I come from the North-East (Assam) and can vaguely recall our family trip to Nepal/Kathmandu (I was in second standard then). We made our trip in our very well maintained Premier Padmini (Fiat) and yes, I do recall the names like Pokhra, etc.

Guys, you've rejuvenated me from my long pending exciting drives like these. In fact, after reading your post, I called up couple of my travel buddies to read your post and start planning a trip. That's the result of your impactful travelogue. Kudos!
Glad to know that this T log has incited you to plan a trip. I wish you follow it through and share your experience with us here. Thanks for sharing your sentiment here. Its comments like these that motivate me to share. My posting speed here is well known otherwise

I had started writing a Bhutan circuit I did early last year with some really exciting and unique experiences. I started writing but couldnt complete it and scrapped it.
SO this is to say that I appreciate all your comments here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Wonderful travelogue !

I have been toying up with the idea of doing the Lower Mustang and Manang valley circuit on my motorcycle but due to work commitments, it looks very difficult this year. Your travelogue is very detailed and aided with lovely photographs too. It will be really helpful when I plan my trip to the Mustang Valley, next year maybe.

Thanks for sharing. Rated it 5-stars.
Lots of bikers doing the Manang circuit, which is also extremely challenging. We also wanted to do Manang after returning to Kagbeni, but the time constraint caused us to return or else we would have added the Manang circuit too.
DO try and go before it starts to rain there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Well, this is easily one of the most inspirational and remarkable travelogues on this forum.

Whew. What a drive. For sheer guts, skill and determination, you and Genesis stand tall.

Bravo.

A poem by Robert Frost may perhaps mark your experience.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
Thank you for the appreciation and the poem. Loved it and have saved it as a motivational reference for myself.

Cheers.
Old 31st May 2017, 20:58   #45
BHPian

Absolutely fantastic travelogue Jay! Makes me wanna crank up the engine and get going right away.

I have two questions:
  1. What is the time window to do this trip?
  2. I see you have the Ironman setup. How difficult is this circuit for a stock Fortuner (4x4 AT)? I have done some off-roading in my TFort but no hardcore stuff yet.

I will come back to this again and again until I do this myself. Thanks a ton for putting this up. I know how difficult and time consuming writing all this amazing stuff is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I think stock Fortuner's water wading capability is around 3 ft (900mm IIRC)
Water wading depth of Fortuner (Old D4-D) is 700mm (Link)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks