To the border we went
Leaving a border behind
A land untamed
A raging river
A weathered face
A smiling child
Four wheels do move the soul

Was an epic trip
Also the beauty of team-bhp and the internet that two guys who met online and interacted infrequently offline could do such a trip which requires intense coordination and flexible mindsets in unforgiving terrain.
Thanks Jay for documenting the journey. (Makes me want to go back to writing).

And for those wondering where exactly we went...Its the area which is blank right at the top of the tshirt!
Attached Thumbnails
Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang-20170418_114348.jpg  

genesis is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 08:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
To the border we went
Leaving a border behind
A land untamed
A raging river
A weathered face
A smiling child
Four wheels do move the soul

Was an epic trip
Also the beauty of team-bhp and the internet that two guys who met online and interacted infrequently offline could do such a trip which requires intense coordination and flexible mindsets in unforgiving terrain.
Thanks Jay for documenting the journey. (Makes me want to go back to writing).

And for those wondering where exactly we went...Its the area which is blank right at the top of the tshirt!
I can already see the poet rising in you.

And your T shirt description is just apt for driving directions to Lo Manthang.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 11:09   #18
BHPian

Re: Epic Nepal: The last forbidden kingdom! Upper Mustang & Lo Manthang

This is why people should buy a capable SUV! Not just to lug around in city traffic or to carry 7/8 people from A to B. What an amazing journey you guys have gone through. The visuals do not do justice I guess, still thank you for taking me along with your wonderful narrative. Toyota really stood the test of endurance, considering you did not even get time to service before you left. Mind-blowing travelogue. 10 out of 5 stars!
cunnuvila is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 12:29   #19
BHPian

Just one word can describe this "amazing".

This is going to be a holy travelogue for anyone travelling in that region. Since, you have started and posted it on Team-bhp, I can foresee many more people venturing out in these untamed lands.

It's certainly not going to be easy, it's going to be difficult, gut wrenching and once need to be in in top shape, physically and mentally to attempt this.

"Follow your soul, it knows the way".
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 12:31   #20
BHPian

Quite simply the best travelogue I have ever read on Team-BHP. Great stuff! Definitely aspire to do this trip sometime in the future
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 13:56   #21
BHPian

I generally start reading the travelogues, then switch to just glancing through the pictures. But this is the first travelogue that i read it completely. Words and Pictures may not (and cannot) describe what you guys have experienced, so i just want to say AMAZING!!!
Thanks for sharing.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 14:06   #22

Reading this post made me realise that Toyota Fortuner is the ONLY true SUV, and not the Mahindras or Duster AWD. Maybe Ford Endeavour too would have made it?
Old 30th May 2017, 14:45   #23
BHPian

Epic TL Jay.

As I said-

Kids play Need for Speed.

Legends like Jay do such trips!

Looking forward to more such TLs from you.

Keep Revving!

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Old 30th May 2017, 15:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

@jaysmokesleaves - is this your pre-owned Fortuner that you mentioned in another thread? From that friend who was asking for 16.5 which you thought was a little high but I guess you ended up buying it?

I'm looking at used Fortuners in the market and seeing this just makes me buy one at the earliest.

What stands out for me is the driving experience more than anything. Having been to Spiti it was always a great scenery but what excited me most was the drive, which was in a Swift. If I had a Fortuner then I would've attempted those shortcuts to Tashigang that were meant for 4x4s.

Question though, why not a snorkel when you would be wading through deep water? I think stock Fortuner's water wading capability is around 3 ft (900mm IIRC) so wouldn't a snorkel help in such a case tremendously?

Last edited by fine69 : 30th May 2017 at 15:43.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 15:46   #25
BHPian

Fab pics and narration Jay. Now could you please post some videos, that would be even better
satan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 16:10   #26
BHPian

Excellently written and captured... Refreshing travelogue.
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 16:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil thomas View Post
Reading this post made me realise that Toyota Fortuner is the ONLY true SUV, and not the Mahindras or Duster AWD. Maybe Ford Endeavour too would have made it?
A local friend's group from Kathmandu which did it a few weeks before us had endeavor, hilux, thar, landcruiser. Thar got stuck at a water crossing. The local resident vehicles are mostly armadas, boleros etc. We saw a local in 2wd bolero also.

So driver skill and experience matters a lot.

Last edited by genesis : 30th May 2017 at 16:20.
genesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 16:32   #28
BHPian

Quite simply the best Travelogue I have read in recent past. Kudos to you and Genesis for covering such an adventurous drive across the border. Can't help but to laugh at the Hotel Bob Marley's Chef's resume "Chef 15yrs Experience in Sydney Australia".
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 16:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the appreciation. I have clicked the THANKS button below your posts to not make this post too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
@jaysmokesleaves - is this your pre-owned Fortuner that you mentioned in another thread? From that friend who was asking for 16.5 which you thought was a little high but I guess you ended up buying it?

I'm looking at used Fortuners in the market and seeing this just makes me buy one at the earliest.

What stands out for me is the driving experience more than anything. Having been to Spiti it was always a great scenery but what excited me most was the drive, which was in a Swift. If I had a Fortuner then I would've attempted those shortcuts to Tashigang that were meant for 4x4s.

Question though, why not a snorkel when you would be wading through deep water? I think stock Fortuner's water wading capability is around 3 ft (900mm IIRC) so wouldn't a snorkel help in such a case tremendously?
When you dont have to think too much about watching potholes and the road, then you can enjoy the scenery more and probably go beyond the road.

I dont fancy a snorkel as much inspite of its perceived benefits. Occasional water wading like we just did can be done without a snorkel when you know how much to push ur vehicle.

If you plan to buy a suv, ensure its a 4wd. Fortuner or not, if you have the will to do it you can do it in any 4wd suv. You may struggle initially, but you will find your feet. There are many with fancy suv's who dont know how to drive it. Skill matters as much or more than your equipment, lead by the will to do it.
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Epic TL Jay.

As I said-

Kids play Need for Speed.

Legends like Jay do such trips!

Looking forward to more such TLs from you.

Keep Revving!

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Yogesh thanks for the kind words, im humbled but im no legend. There are many who dont go public and have far more stellar travel achievements than myself. Im lucky and happy to share my small trips. Thank you for the appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Fab pics and narration Jay. Now could you please post some videos, that would be even better
Nev, videos are not my domain. No can do, nada. Genesis is good with that.
Old 30th May 2017, 17:16   #30
BHPian

That is the most amazing travelogue I have ever read!

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
ishankpatel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks