Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trek to the Everest Base Camp

Another awesome travelogue. My boss has done this trek many years back and he keeps asking me when am I planning to do it, knowing my love for the mountains. Only issue is that now I feel like I will do a 4x4 trip rather than a trek, so my answer to him remains delusional.

Thank you for sharing it with us and re-igniting the fire for this trek. About time I start thinking about it again. BTW lovely pics.
Old 23rd June 2017, 15:46   #17
BHPian

You have taken the TL section to new HEIGHT.
Wonderful pictures and nice write up. It really takes a lot of physical fitness, stamina, and courage to do this.
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:40   #18
BHPian

Awesome travelogue, inspiring write-up with beautiful snaps. Rated 5 stars. Also share more and more snaps, if possible videos.

Your pointers on Tab diamox is true . We experienced this in our winter trip to Ladakh recently. Stopped consuming within 2 days due to the irritations it caused, somehow adjusted to the harsh winter conditions.

Last edited by Nempuguru : 23rd June 2017 at 16:45.
Old 23rd June 2017, 21:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snan View Post
Attachment 1650104

This is a bit of a weird "travelogue" to be on t-bhp since not a lot of mechanical power was used for the 14 odd days trip covering 150 odd kilometers and ascending over 5km into the atmosphere ! To put that height in perspective, that is slightly more than half the cruising altitude of a Boeing 737.
You fundamentally need so little to be so happy !
Attachment 1650108
Awesome travelogue. This has been in my "to do" list for quite a while now. Good to see it coming from a fellow T-Bhpian.
Old 23rd June 2017, 23:13   #20
BHPian

Thanks for this fantastic travelogue. I too have always been fascinated by Sagarmatha and have an ambition to do this base camp trek. It would be very helpful for novices like me if you can give some more details about the prep, both physical as well as otherwise. How did you train yourself for this and and how much did it cost you? How did you engage the guides in Nepal etc.
Old 24th June 2017, 11:08   #21
BHPian

Nice TL. Me, my brother and a buddy of ours did it in 2013. Did it along with a high pass, Cho La and the beautiful Gokyo lakes. Would like to add one thing to any one wondering if they can just hike it with out an operator or tour agency. You absolutley can and should do it. I agree that yes the luggage might be tough, the answer to that would be a porter guide, they generally carry around 10 kgs of your luggage and at the same time serve as guides. The one we had was tremendous and is still in touch with us. Doing so you basically you cut the hassel with the travel agency and can pass on the benefits to the worker and its more fun. It is a pure tea house trek, there are plenty of villages along they way were you stay at the tea house, the accomodation is usually free or very less you pay for the food. You can do it solo or like us can get one porter guide for a group or can use an agency. I would do it by myself the next time around.

Second thing, fitness. We were running, hiking, biking for a good few months before the trek. But then you hit the trail and all the preparation was nothing infront of the mamouth task ahead. And then when you are gasping a 60 year old walks just next to you with 100kgs on his back. Lets just say it gets frustrating at times. And its more of your mind than anything else.

Thanks OP for reminding me of one of the best memories of my life.

Happy trails.

For any one interested.

Last edited by kilireddy0 : 24th June 2017 at 11:23.
kilireddy0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 19:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshumandun View Post
Beautiful write up and pictures. Very inspiring too that you attempted and succeeded in this adventure. Wherever we are in life, when we look back, it's memories like these that make us feel proud of ourselves for the crazy things we've done in life.

I am not a trek person but I want to land in Lukla once. Heard a lot about the amazing decent and landing at the inclined runway. Is there anything else that we can do, apart from trekking, in Lukla?
There is nothing much to do in Lukla - its just the starting point for pretty much most of the high altitude treks in Khumbu region of Nepal. You can maybe land in first flight, roam around for couple of hours and take the last flight ! There are not afternoon flights as far as I know given propensity for the weather to deteriorate during afternoons. Even if you are not a trekking sort of person, Id suggest walking till Namche in 3-4 days. Is worth it. I won't suggest just going to Lukla to be honest !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitishk View Post
Great stuff, this has been in my bucket list, for like, ever. Different stages of life have provided different constraints, I really hope to be able to do this in the next 3-4 years.

As someone else also pointed out, we would really appreciate if you can provide details regarding agencies, costs etc.

In my case, I will be a solo traveler, so would be keen to know if they have regular group treks ?
There are group treks almost all months other than July and August. Being a solo traveller is absolutely not an issue - you might have to pay a single premium but its not much. I'd suggest going with a group esp if its your first high altitude trek

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th June 2017 at 19:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
snan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 13:02   #23
BHPian

Congratulations SNAN and thanks for sharing it with us.

I am wondering how long is the training period before you embark on this ?

For example I do a marathon almost every year, so aerobically I guess I should be fit. Is there something specific for the hamstring besides what you have mentioned.
Old 29th June 2017, 13:44   #24
BHPian

This one particular trek looks definitely beyond ordinary mortals. Reading your adventure, it is incredible to even imagine what an actual Everest climber will go through ! Truly an amazing adventure and achievement. Congratulations. Memories for a lifetime and thanks for sharing it with us !
Old 29th June 2017, 15:30   #25
BHPian

Regular practice of yoga kriya Kapalabhati helps to prevent AMS to some extent.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 21:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by changaez View Post
Congratulations SNAN and thanks for sharing it with us.

I am wondering how long is the training period before you embark on this ?

For example I do a marathon almost every year, so aerobically I guess I should be fit. Is there something specific for the hamstring besides what you have mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Regular practice of yoga kriya Kapalabhati helps to prevent AMS to some extent.
Changaez - if you practice for the marathon then that should be more than enough. For hamstring, for you Id just suggest climbing stairs with 8-10 kg load / weights. You should be fine overall.

thanks Romins for the info on Yoga - never tried it but Im sure it will help. (Heard so from my guide too)
snan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 13:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snan View Post
Changaez - if you practice for the marathon then that should be more than enough. For hamstring, for you Id just suggest climbing stairs with 8-10 kg load / weights. You should be fine overall.
Snan,

Thanks. How long did you train 6 months or is it longer than that
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

What a spell binding travelogue!!! Replete with jaw dropping pictures.
At the outset, hatsoff to your grit and determination. Trekking for so long distances in such demanding conditions is no mean feat and speaks volumes about your fitness levels too.

The travelogue had me glued on for hours, taking in the beauty of Himalayas so wonderfully laid out in front of me to devour.
Wish you many more of these divine sojourns.
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by changaez View Post
Snan,

Thanks. How long did you train 6 months or is it longer than that
6 months is quite enough for base camp. Good luck !
snan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 16:51   #30
BHPian

@snan, absolutely thrilling narrative.
As a new trekking enthusiast, the EBC (Everest Base Camp) Trek seems to be the logical next step to formal entry into the world of trekking. Thanks for the wonderful description. Your travelogue will be my guide in preparations. You mentioned May was when you did it. What does June sound like? Are there likely to be any issues with weather then?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks