Team-BHP - Camping in the Wilderness in a Custom Camping Trailer
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Camping in the Wilderness in a Custom Camping Trailer (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/187998-camping-wilderness-custom-camping-trailer-2.html)

As it was the first trip on the field tests for the trailer we came back with the following to do list and the lessons learnt:
1. The trailer needs to be made weather proof from the rear hatch. While driving in the rain water came in from the sides and dampened the mattresses.
2. Getting rid of the tail mounted spare tyre and jerrycan will improve the reversing capabilities on the hill roads as it will allow more space for the trailer to come closer sideways.
3. We need to have more small storage places inside the trailer to keep knick knacks.
4. It would be better to have custom made mattresses which fold significantly while stowing away.
5. Adding an awning will do away with the need for parking the jeep alongside for attaching a tarp over the extra tent or the sitting space.
6. Need to add a provision for locking it from the inside as well.
7. Adding jeep shockers should improve the ride of the camper and make it less bouncy on the unpaved roads.

As a point of clarification the tail lights, side marker lights, navigation lights are already harnessed and ready to be fixed. Am experimenting with the electricity setup as of now and am still undecided between a genset and a solar set up. Once it is fixed ill start laying the cables. However if the decision takes longer, ill rig the caution lights on the camper asap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 4221217)
Dada had to U turn twice on those twisties :) but the old practise of having driven tractor trailers during harvesting season is paying rich dividends.

U turn on those (narrow) roads, with a trailer. Wow.
Now you are ready for reversing 4 wheeled trailers!

Regards
Sutripta

Wow! That is the only word that comes to mind
Unbelievable Vikram. Although we have seen pictures of the work in progress at different stages, it still leaves me speechless to see the trailer in the midst of nature. It looks amazing. Great to see all your efforts bearing fruit.

Some more parting shots to complete the journey.
1. The Wind in your hair with the front windshield down.
2. Need some graphics for the Trailer side and rear.
3. Dinner time at Parwanoo.

Still not able to figure out how to post and attach the pics in between texts.

Quote:

Some more parting shots to complete the journey.
1. The Wind in your hair with the front windshield down.

2. Need some graphics for the Trailer side and rear.
3. Dinner time at Parwanoo.

Still not able to figure out how to post and attach the pics in between texts.
Hey Wondernomad,

Once you have typed your post and uploaded your pics -
1. Place your cursor where you want to attach the pic
2. Click on the dropdown on the highlighted icon and select the photo that you want to attach.

Voila - Done :)

Hello,

I am sure about 99% members of Team BHP would love to do what you have done.
This is perfect..! A Jeep and a trailer..! What more could a traveler dream of ?
Please let us know the important things to be checked during such a trip if you don't mind.I am sure it will help newbies like myself while on our expeditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JozfGT (Post 4256107)
Hello,

I am sure about 99% members of Team BHP would love to do what you have done.
This is perfect..! A Jeep and a trailer..! What more could a traveler dream of ?
Please let us know the important things to be checked during such a trip if you don't mind.I am sure it will help newbies like myself while on our expeditions.

Thanks for the kind words. First of all what you need depends on where you intend to go and the number of days plus the mode i.e whether you shall be vehicle based or backpack based. But the most important basic items are as follows:

1. Knife.
2. Duct tape.
3. Matchbox.
4. Old newspaper.
5. Water.
6. Dry rations.
7. Extra Blanket.

Thank you for the quick response. I have just a couple more doubts.
Is it really legal to have a trailer like this ? Should we register it or something ?
And what are the things you check on the car before starting the trip ?

May I butt in ? As wanderernomad already said, he is in the process of registering the trailer. Once it is registered, you need to display both the numbers (tractor i.e. Jeep, & trailer) at the rear, along with a large 'T'. You have to pay regular road taxes as well as insurance for the trailer, and tail/brake lamps are preferred but reflectors are compulsory. Am surprised that wanderernomad went camping without most of that and no police check was faced. Lucky !

But very nice modifications, with a regular Jeep cargo trailer and an FRP body shell mated. Makes fabrication easier, and keeps the total length and width manageable on twisty roads. Congrats and thank you for the nice thread ! Where is the Jeep registered originally (AME) ?

Yes, as per law registration is mandatory but no one bothers you for a trailer generally up here in the north because of the numerous tractor trolleys roaming around the countryside. Add to that the number of generators being towed behind jeeps as trailers. So unless you are having a bad day you will get away without being bothered for towing an unregistered trailer. But Yes trailers are very much legal.

At the rear only the trailer number needs to be displayed if it has a valid registration. Since I have the trailer endorsed on my jeep in Assam (AME) therefore, I displayed the jeep number only. And yes the lights and other things are now there in place but I had 3 reflectors hanging behind the trailer during the drive.

Thanks. I read the full thread on Jeep AND trailer rebuild. Was a little confused with your location being CH and the Jeep being 'probably Assam', but after reading that other thread everything was clear. As trailers are rare in South Bengal, cops are generally strict about towing rules. But I remember earlier days in the North East, trailer towing was common, and somehow seemed to remember two number plates -- thanks for correcting me !

Just saw this thread chief. Superb trip. Its quite rare to see trailer caravans in India. Driving them also requires special skill. The fact that u took the initiative to build a trailer and then actually use it is an outstanding feat by itself. The kids sure seem to have had a great time. I have some ideas to prim up the trailer a bit, will share with u via msg. Also look up south african forums for some truly wonderful ideas. Cheers.

Simply amazing wanderernomad you have truly shown all of us the way to have our own RV culture in India too.

Hope you can fine tune the same and inspire us to follow in your footsteps.

On a personal note thank you for all your invaluable efforts in helping me and kanthi finalize on our North east plan.Have finally penned and posted that.

continue rocking sir.

Cheers.

Vijay