Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 10:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Drive to the enchanting hill station of Vagamon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Keeping Vagamon on tab for a vacation some time. Nice write-up as always. Small question though, why does your car have an L at the back? I assumed both you and Atul are quite adept at driving.
Thank you. L was there for quite some time, just didn't remove it out of sheer laziness. It's gone now but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Thank you for the nice travelogue. Crossed Kumuli many a times but never got around to Vagamon.
Thank you. You should definitely visit Vagamon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
Sounds like Skiddy wants to be taken out more often .

But seriously an amazing travelogue. Kudos on making this trip in monsoon as the roads in the route can be quite tricky due to rains and fog.
Hope hulk gets better soon.
Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Beautiful pictures and beautiful views. Have passed through Dindigul-Kodaikanal multiple times, never thought of visiting.But after seeing your photos vagamon is on my must see list.
Thank you. You should definitely visit Vagamon once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Absolutely stunning pictures! Short & sweet travelogue. Loved it! Vagamon looks so lush green!

How is the cellular network coverage at Vagamon? Is it poor? Google maps has this weird thing where it finds the shortest routes, and tries to send you through non-existent routes. Have experienced it multiple times during my trips in India.

Based on your experience, the best way to reach vagamon is through Kuttikanam & Elappara? How are the rest of the roads in & around vagamon?
Thank you so much. Cellular network was fine in most of the places, however, accessing mobile data was a pain. The max we could get was E.

Kuttikanam and Elappara route is definitely scenic and relatively better (lesser potholes and bumps) as compared to Elady route. Within Vagamon, roads are pretty ok, curvy and narrow though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Nice travelogue. I recently drove to Vagamon from Chennai.

On the way up to Vagamon, from Kumily, i took the Kuttikanam, Ellapara route and while coming back, I took the Upputhara, Marikulam, Anavilasam, Kumily. The route coming back has some sharp bends and steep ups and downs between Marikulam and Anavilasam, but it tested the skills and fun to drive and shorter by approx 18 Kms.

I drove my XUV5OO and it was fantastic.

Swami
Thank you. Yes, heard about the Marykulam-Anavilasam route, might try out the next time we go to Vagamon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthab View Post
Lovely narration and awesome photographs !!! Thanks for sharing.

Warm regards,

Siddhartha.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevan Sukumar View Post
Amazing travelogue adorned with some superb snap shots and all relevant details. After going through your well written travelogue, I have already planned to visit Vagamon this month itself. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thank you. Please do visit and let me know your experience.
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 10:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
Leaving the car with parking brake engaged during monsoons could be the reason. It happened with our Spark too. So now instead of parking brake, I leave it in 1st gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratjyo View Post
Have experienced the same in Hyundai Santro. The car was not at all moving from it's place. We later called the Hyundai Roadside Assistance and they removed the wheels and released the brakes. They later advised that parking the car with handbrake on a cold weather and leaving it still for multiple days may result in this situation and it is better to put them in first gear.

Nice travelogue too and will plan one soon to this place
This Saturday, Skiddy experienced the same problem - left rear wheel was completely jammed. We tried moving the car in 1st and reverse gear, no help, the wheel was dragging all the way. Called a mechanic from the service center, he mentioned the brake cylinders needs to be replaced. Got them replaced, Skiddy is fine now. Hopefully!
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 11:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
This Saturday, Skiddy experienced the same problem - left rear wheel was completely jammed. We tried moving the car in 1st and reverse gear, no help, the wheel was dragging all the way. Called a mechanic from the service center, he mentioned the brake cylinders needs to be replaced. Got them replaced, Skiddy is fine now. Hopefully!
Oh so we have another finding(the break cylinder) now..! The Hyundai Santro I was talking about was only around 5 to 6months old when this happened.
Old 17th July 2017, 14:27   #19
BHPian

I have been to Vagamon last year with family and stayed in Winter Vale.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-vagamon.html

Did u also visit the popular Vagamon lake just 3 kms from Winter Vale?
Attached Thumbnails
Drive to the enchanting hill station of Vagamon!-dsc_0673.jpg  

Drive to the enchanting hill station of Vagamon!-dsc_0681.jpg  

Last edited by ssengo : 17th July 2017 at 14:33.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:21   #20
BHPian

Nice photos and a great write-up..
One sincere advice based on my experiences, don't rely only on google maps. Recollecting my memories from last winter trip to Vagamon (we planned to stay there just to visit Gavi the next day), we were blindly following the google maps and at some point of time the road just disappeared. Had to take a de-tour and it costed us 2 hours of our time..
below is the photo taken just before the road worsened deteriorated and eventually disappeared.
Drive to the enchanting hill station of Vagamon!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1500360709.308271.jpg
Old 18th July 2017, 17:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
We did replace the wheel cylinders too. But it kept happening again. In our case, the wheel could rotate, but with too much resistance. Ever since I stopped using the parking brake, the problem disappeared.
Old 23rd July 2017, 00:01   #22
BHPian

Hey Nandita, Awesome trip and very well written TL. The pics are just amazing. We are already in planning mode. Thanks a lot for sharing this gem as people like me get to discover a new place. Keep em coming.
sami316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 11:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratjyo View Post
Oh so we have another finding(the break cylinder) now..! The Hyundai Santro I was talking about was only around 5 to 6months old when this happened.
After the brake cylinder change, Skiddy isn't facing the problem again. Just returned from Coorg without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
I have been to Vagamon last year with family and stayed in Winter Vale.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-vagamon.html

Did u also visit the popular Vagamon lake just 3 kms from Winter Vale?
We didn't have sufficient time to explore the lake next to Vinter Wale. May be will visit if we go there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkamal View Post
Nice photos and a great write-up..
One sincere advice based on my experiences, don't rely only on google maps. Recollecting my memories from last winter trip to Vagamon (we planned to stay there just to visit Gavi the next day), we were blindly following the google maps and at some point of time the road just disappeared. Had to take a de-tour and it costed us 2 hours of our time..
below is the photo taken just before the road worsened deteriorated and eventually disappeared.
Attachment 1658096
Thank you! And yes, we don't follow GMaps blindly all the time. It has caused us problems many a times. So, always cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
We did replace the wheel cylinders too. But it kept happening again. In our case, the wheel could rotate, but with too much resistance. Ever since I stopped using the parking brake, the problem disappeared.
As of now, no problem of wheel jamming after the brake cylinder change. Hopefully, it is fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hey Nandita, Awesome trip and very well written TL. The pics are just amazing. We are already in planning mode. Thanks a lot for sharing this gem as people like me get to discover a new place. Keep em coming.
Thank you so much
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 21:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Day 1

We took a wrong turn somewhere after Kumily yet Google maps showing us that we would reach our destination with an additional 15mins via Alady, we decided not to turn back and continue in this route. [/i]
Hi Nandita, Infact I am going to winter vale next weekend. Can you tell me what is the route that you took and the right one to take?
Can we trust GoogleMaps in that area.

Is there anything to see in and around Vagamon ? Hope the resort serves good food.

Cheers.
Old 22nd September 2017, 23:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Hi Nandita, Infact I am going to winter vale next weekend. Can you tell me what is the route that you took and the right one to take?
Can we trust GoogleMaps in that area.

Is there anything to see in and around Vagamon ? Hope the resort serves good food.

Cheers.
Hi redcruiser,

I guess I'm a bit late in responding but in case you haven't yet gone to Winter Vale yet, here is the route that you should take:

Bangalore-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Kuttikanam-Elappara-Vagamon(Winter Vale)

https://goo.gl/adyuGz

Do not take the default route suggested by Google that goes via Ayyapancoil as that's in really bad shape, we did take that route while going and regretted big time!
atul.ktm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks