Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2017, 09:36   #31
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

Can one reach these places easily by road? Any road from Barbil? Barbil should not be short of better quality hotels.
I went to Kiriburu in 2007, soon I shifted base from Jharkhand and somehow could not visit Kiriburu again. Yes there is a road from Barbil, albeit, it was in shambles back then.

Since Joda - Barbil - Noamundi - Gua is a mining belt, there are a few hotels for the sahebs. The entire Saranda forest is virgin and beautiful. I really wish to go there again soon !
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 13:08   #32
BHPian

Re: Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts

Another Weekend Drive completed.

Thanks to Samba and Rana for taking the initiative and finalizing everything from Rooms to Food. Khairi Resort is the only Hotel in that area and the location is just at the foothills of Bangriposi Hills which was great.

This time it was a family get-together and we enjoyed the time spend over there.
Every trip has its highs and lows, where a spirited drive back through the ghat roads in the evening mark the highs of it on the other hand not getting good rooms for all of us was surely the other one.

Our local drive was a small one, but to visit those reservoirs we travelled through a lot of interior roads through villages and was pretty amazed to find lots of these roads are now made of concrete.

Although all possible pictures are already uploaded in this TL, I am still sharing some of the captures from my camera which this time was under my elder brothers command (Dr. Soumyadeep Chaudhury)

Thanks to everyone in the team for making this trip a Grand Success.

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8134-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8137-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8145-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8153-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8158-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8163-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8178-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8186-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8188-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8193-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8200-2048x1356.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-dsc_8205-2048x1356.jpg

Goodbye for Now
SouraC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 12:05   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Not core area. That has been closed for a long time now.
Chahala and Joranda had FRHs. Other places too. The Chahala one was the hunting lodge of the Singh Deos.
Joranda was active till a couple of years back, will check with my friend who is into mining, next time I go home. Chahala is closed for residency for sure after maoist attack.

It seems Govt came of with some alternate location and a functioning website (rare for Govt). You can check it here.

Quote:
^^^
Bhanj Deo, not Singh Deo.
Sorry.

Regards
Sutripta
My dad has the privileged to spent part of his childhood in the palace and I have heard a lot of stories involving palace and chahala and the forest bit houses inside the core area, a lot of them are haunted. Unfortunately along with the palace most of Bhanja Deo era pioneers are in ruins.
PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 19:45   #34
BHPian

Wah! It's wonderful to see so many BHPians in a single frame! It seems that you guys had a blast! Of course, the photos are superb in the lavish green settings. Keep driving

Cheers,
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 20:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
It seems Govt came of with some alternate location and a functioning website (rare for Govt). You can check it here.
Except for Gudgudia (which is a village inside the forest), the rest seem to be even outside the buffer zone! (I don't know where Kumari is though.)

Singularly uninformative Google Maps. Does not even show Meghasani, let alone Jenabil etc.

From what I've heard, the first thing the Maoists did in Lulung was to utterly destroy the toilets! Wonder if they spared the tiled floor in Chahala.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 16th July 2017 at 20:37.
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 20:38   #36
BHPian

Samba as usual, noted every details to perfection. A very talented individual behind the wheels and lens and the writings and each and every trip that we do as a group. It's a bliss to be among so many liked minded car loving individuals, my gratitude to all. Definitely another memory to cherish as long as I Live to Drive.

One thing that I do regret, alike Sayata is leaving my car behind for the drive around, missed the photo shoot and excellent landscapes to drive through. What held me back were my ageing tires which were due a replacement and I did not want to take chances as the road conditions were not that good.

But nevertheless, I got a chance to ride in another legendary car, Rana Adhikary's Avventura lovingly called Redi. Let me share my versions of some of the pictures

The Newest Couple
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi066.jpg

The Charming Couple
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi025.jpg

The Sweet Couple
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi056.jpg

Kids enjoying the surroundings
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi011.jpg

The mighty Etios
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi042.jpg

The young and bold Avventura - nick named Redi
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi044.jpg

The youngest member of the group -with Mom
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi050.jpg

The youngest member of the group - with Dad
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi063.jpg

The landscapes around
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi074.jpg

Lastly the dreamscape, my version

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2017julbangriposi083.jpg
arindam_xeta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 01:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Wonderful to see so many like minded folks on a weekend monsoon trip. The pictures are superb, specially the cars look stunning amidst the greenery of the surroundings. Missed this trip but looking forward to the next one. Cheers!
Thanks, we missed you in the trip too. Next time i sincerely hope to do it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Very nice log. Photos are awesome as usual. Loved the picture of kids. You guys are making it happen !
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
Lovely travelogue and beautiful pictures again by Samba. The drive to the forest amidst dark clouds and heavy rain made it more enjoyable.
Thanks a lot. Yes we enjoyed the rain a lot.
The pics are excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrocket003 View Post
Super pics and a very neat & crisp T-Log. I never knew you could have a BHP meet and family outing on the same weekend.

My wife is still not into these kind of drives, although I definitely plan to bring her along the next time I am joining a meet.

Cheers !
Thanks. Once you take your wife, am sure she will be eager to join the next one. These trips are like going for a trip with your extended family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouraC View Post
Another Weekend Drive completed.

Thanks to Samba and Rana for taking the initiative and finalizing everything from Rooms to Food. Khairi Resort is the only Hotel in that area and the location is just at the foothills of Bangriposi Hills which was great.
Thanks and fabulous pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Wah! It's wonderful to see so many BHPians in a single frame! It seems that you guys had a blast! Of course, the photos are superb in the lavish green settings. Keep driving

Cheers,
Thanks a ton. Hope to have you in our drives soon !

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Samba as usual, noted every details to perfection. A very talented individual behind the wheels and lens and the writings and each and every trip that we do as a group. It's a bliss to be among so many liked minded car loving individuals, my gratitude to all. Definitely another memory to cherish as long as I Live to Drive.
Thanks a lot and a special thanks for sharing these lovely pics. Among all the pics, i loved the pic of the mighty Etios the most! Hope my wife is not reading this though!

Just got few of these pics from day one, from the archive of this trip. Sharing them-

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-img_4045.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-img_4046.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-img_4054.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-img_4118.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 17th July 2017 at 01:18.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 10:58   #38
BANNED

Excellent thread Samba and nice photographs. Bringing out some nostalgia.

My apologies for spamming your thread unknowingly .

Quote:
Except for Gudgudia (which is a village inside the forest), the rest seem to be even outside the buffer zone! (I don't know where Kumari is though.)

Singularly uninformative Google Maps. Does not even show Meghasani, let alone Jenabil etc.

From what I've heard, the first thing the Maoists did in Lulung was to utterly destroy the toilets! Wonder if they spared the tiled floor in Chahala.

Regards
Sutripta
Kumari is inside forest area, near Gudgudia, link to google map here. Meghashini is shown as Megasini, can't blame google though.

By the way, at chahala, they blew up entire dormitory. The outpost at Chahala is still present, but no night staying facility.
PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 13:30   #39
BHPian

Lovely pics and detailed travelogue as usual.
Just missed the trip unfortunately.
SVK Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 19:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Lovely travelogue Samba Da, aided with beautiful pictures. Great to see an amazing gathering of like-minded bhpians !

If I may suggest, do consider Netarhat and McCluskieganj or Kiriburu and Meghahatuburu for your next mega meet. Only concern is that you would just get basic accommodation facilities in these places as they are absolutely virgin with almost no tourists all round the year.
Thanks a ton and a special thanks for throwing some light on these places less travelled. Next time i plan to visit these places will definitely bug you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Excellent thread Samba and nice photographs. Bringing out some nostalgia.

My apologies for spamming your thread unknowingly .
Thanks. You have no way spammed the thread. You, Sutripta Da & //M has done a lot of value addition to this thread. Thanks a lot to all of you for enhancing our knowledge on these areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
Lovely pics and detailed travelogue as usual.
Just missed the trip unfortunately.
Thanks bro. This time your miss was really unfortunate but don't worry there's always a next time.

Last edited by Samba : 17th July 2017 at 19:25.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 00:25   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Maghataburu and Kiriburu have been on my radar for almost a decade now but somehow a trip is not materialising :-( My wife speaks highly about these places as my father in law had been posted there for quite sometime in the mid-eightees.
Meghataburu & Kiriburu - two names which brought back instant memories from when I lived in Keonjhar (now Kendujhar) back in 1994-1997.

Wonderful places. I remember there was this Lord Shiva temple deep inside the forest near Kiriburu, and those very exotic waterfalls! Both places were extensive mining areas, if I recall correctly.

Used to do the runs to Chaibasa and Barbil, via Jhumpura, on my humble Bajaj Chetak scooter in those days, mostly to play cricket matches at the district/local level. Also traveled with my cricket team on Tempo Trax-es to those places quite often. There was this sponge iron plant in-between as well - Palasponga.

Been a long time, and a lot must have changed since then. Not sure how the places are like now, but back then they were some of our favourite destinations for getaways, specially in the rainy season.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 10:42   #42
BHPian

Fantastic report Samba !! Finally got time to go through the whole report. Feeling really bad to have missed this due to work. Hopefully will join in the next one. The pictures are amazing. The landscape is wonderful. I can see the happiness in everyone's faces.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 11:09   #43
BHPian

This is fantastic! Sure hope that the " Mosquita's" didn't bother you guys much. Since this happens to be the worst affected belt.
Secondly, all I have to say is that everyone, I mean everyone (- SAMBA, who doesn't actually need any pat on the back because of his deftness with a D-SLR) has taken such stunning pictures. Kudos guys!
Thirdly Sayata> It's criminal to post such salivating pictures, and you must be prosecuted. Penalty: treating us.

Regards
Sid
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 20:29   #44
BHPian

A trip to the land of khairi..

Travelling with a year old kid and keeling up with a group is indeed a dwanting task and i give full marks to my better half for the way she handled and managed everything. Let me not forget to thank samba and rana and the team which organised such a wonderful escape from the city. The trip marked the end of the busy season at my office and helped me to energise again for the new fiscal year.. the beginning of my trip was highlighted by my forgetful mind as i realised my missing wallet when we were at vidyasagar setu. The realisation was followed by speed sprint back to my home which is at gariahat ( a good 24kms journey up and down).. we were already late and reached azd, which was our meeting and breakfast point at 7.50am.. thereafter we were always with the group/convoy. I have added few pics of the trip below. Enjoy.

The mandatory Shot
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-mandatory-shot-1.jpg

With my Love
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-my-love-2.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-happy-family-3.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-cuty-4.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-hmm..7.jpg

The gathering
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-gathering-dam-5.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-convoy-5.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-soulmates-7.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-landscape-8.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-gang-9.jpg

The charming Sherpa
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-charming-sherpa-6.jpg

The return journey was quite eventful with lots of beautiful countryside drive and a quick exploration of a jungle trail.. with the region being unknown to us and for travelling with family, none of us thought this detour to a good proposition.. thus we continued with our journey.. some snaps during our return journey.

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-1r.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-2r.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-3r.jpg

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-4r.jpg

Brezza handled the ghat sections really well and was quite impressive in its handling part. The power delivery felt fine for me with occasional high speed sprints. The fuel economy was also quite good. With a tank full-full method, the economy was 19.47 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-posing-4.jpg  

Monsoon weekend drive: Bangriposi & Simlipal with a bunch of car enthusiasts-trying-find..7.jpg  

delix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 18:11   #45
BHPian

Nice short travelogue, Samba.
Bangriposi is indeed a nice place. If you remember, you had recommended this to me last winter for a cycling trip, and I did go there and spend two days cycling. The ride through the villages and the forest is awesome. Went again this year in May to practice more cycling (in 40+ deg C daytime temperature ), as this is probably the nearest place to Kolkata where you get some slightly hilly terrain. Lovely place indeed. Enjoyed your travelogue too.
mr.sinha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed