Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2017, 15:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Tuskers of Chilapata : A thrilling drive to Northern Bengal & Bhutan

Nice write up there with captivating snaps .
An adrenaline pumping elephantine encounter, indeed !
Cheers
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 00:31   #17
BHPian

Lovely travelogue gmhossain ... beautifully narrated with splendid photographs !!!

Can you please share gpx logs of the routes if available.

Warm regards,

Siddhartha.
siddarthab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 11:37   #18
BHPian

Dear Golam,

Your travelogue made my day!!
Elegant as well as adventurous - it is a great read. The photo compositions are great.

Unfortunately the hills are now on "fire" courtesy all the political shenanigans .

Since you purchased a new camera, you could have gone for a SLR? You have great composition skill, a newer device would have surely added a sheen.

Regards,
Sayak
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:01   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely travelogue. Now i must say you have become an expert on Dooars. You really have a knack of finding out the places less explored. I still look at your travelogue on Paren in my free time. In each of your travelogues your are inching closer and closer to Bhutan, so can we expect a Bhutan travelogue to follow?
Hoping to listen more from your trips on 6th August from the Kolkata team Bhp meet.

Last edited by Samba : 31st July 2017 at 20:03.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 21:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Chilapata at one time had a reputation for two legged predators!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 22:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
Nice write up there with captivating snaps An adrenaline pumping elephantine encounter, indeed !
Thank you very much RSUDARSANAN for your appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthab View Post
Lovely travelogue gmhossain ... beautifully narrated with splendid photographs !!! Can you please share gpx logs of the routes if available.
Thank you Siddhartha! I only have a partial gpx log. Up to Ghoshpukur, we followed usual Kolkata - SIliguri route. I am enclosing the route map that we followed from Ghoshpukur onward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Your travelogue made my day!! Elegant as well as adventurous - it is a great read. ... Unfortunately the hills are now on "fire" courtesy all the political shenanigans .
Thank you very much Sayak. Yeah, it's quite sad to see the way events are unfolding in the hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Since you purchased a new camera, you could have gone for a SLR?
Honestly, I did consider a SLR. However, considering my current need, interests and the budget, I shelved the plan for future reconsideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Lovely travelogue. ... In each of your travelogues your are inching closer and closer to Bhutan, so can we expect a Bhutan travelogue to follow?
Thanks a lot Samba. Frankly, your logs continue to inspire many of us to take the plunge (on road )! Bhutan? ... it's in the list but there is no concrete plan as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Hoping to listen more from your trips on 6th August from the Kolkata team Bhp meet.
Sure, looking forward to meet you at next Kolkata Monsoon Meet - 6th Aug, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Chilapata at one time had a reputation for two legged predators!
Thank you Sutripta! Yeah, I guess, even now poachers are active. I was chatting with our safari driver and he did mention that there has been increased patrolling in the forest to stop poaching.

Route Map - Onward Journey
Tuskers of Chilapata : A thrilling drive to Northern Bengal & Bhutan-onwardroutemap.png

Route Map - Return Journey
Tuskers of Chilapata : A thrilling drive to Northern Bengal & Bhutan-routemapreturn.png
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 07:30   #22
BHPian

A beautifully written travelogue, with bone chilling experience. I loved the information about sesame sauce. Never heard of this before. Thank you for sharing. Wish you have asked for, how to make the same :-)
hok kolorob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:42   #23
BHPian

Beautiful trip, amazing photographs and pleasant faces!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations for completing the tour safely.

In my opinion, great journeys need great people more than great cars and in the similar line lovely photographs need how one sees and how far one stretches to see, kudos to you!

Few queries to Mr gmhossain:

1. What were the key planning/preparation processes to visit a neighbouring friendly country like Bhutan?

2. What were the main challenges? How did you overcome them?

3. Can we go for such trips with senior citizens?

Again thanks a lot for sharing! (I also liked the teambhp sticker!)
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 16:15   #24
BHPian

Great narration and stunning pictures. North Bengal has so much to offer. We went to Hashimara many years back and saw two Rhinos fighting by the side of the road!
Somehow, I also feel that you went at the right time and it would be a while before you can venture into that area again. The current situation in that region seems tense due to the political situation.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 21:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Thank you Sutripta! Yeah, I guess, even now poachers are active.
No, not what I was alluding to. The prey were also two legged.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 06:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Aha! What a writeup.

I have told this before and I will repeat it - your words penetrate the readers' heart. It is one thing to read a travelogue sitting in the comfort of our homes, going over the details and planning to go there sometime; all of us do it every time a new one appears on the forum.

And, it is an entirely different experience to read yours because you compel us to travel with you - retracing your footsteps. It is as if we can hear your heavy, but forcefully suppressed breath just next to us; as if the herd of elephants are surrounding not just you but us too. Brilliant!

You have made good use use of the camera. Keep travelling, keep writing, keep keeping us on tenterhooks .
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 08:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hok kolorob View Post
A beautifully written travelogue. ... Wish you have asked for, how to make the same :-)
Thank you hok kolorob. Yes. I guess, I should have asked for the recipe of the Sesame sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
Beautiful trip, amazing photographs and pleasant faces! ... Few queries to Mr gmhossain:

1. What were the key planning/preparation processes to visit a neighbouring friendly country like Bhutan?

2. What were the main challenges? How did you overcome them?

3. Can we go for such trips with senior citizens?
Thanks a lot kbishwa. To answer your queries, Indian nationals do not need visa to enter Bhutan, just voter card or passport would do. If you want to proceed beyond Phuentsholing then you would need permits both for persons and vehicles. The procedure to obtain the same is described in this post by BHPian PointZero. We visited only up to Phuentsholing this time.

Surely, even senior citizens can go for such trips. My only suggestion would be to have ample breaks and modest distances to be covered in a day. As such, we did not have any major challenge. Our vehicles were serviced regularly as per schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Great narration and stunning pictures. ... The current situation in that region seems tense due to the political situation.
Thank you very much Nissan1180. Yeah, it's unfortunate. However, the situations in the Dooars regions are relatively better than the hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
No, not what I was alluding to. The prey were also two legged.
Thanks once again! OK, I get it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Aha! What a writeup. ... I have told this before and I will repeat it - your words penetrate the readers' heart ...
Thanks a ton dailydriver for your kind words. Frankly, sometime it's precisely because of the readers like you that motivates us to be passionate while writing the travelogue!
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:23   #28

What a wonderful write-up!!
Articles like this motivate you to plan a road trip again.
And also a big Thank you for helping me relive my memories of the my road trip from Kolkata to Lava, Kalimpong this year.
prk265 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:22   #29
BHPian

Nice write up, you have a good flair for writing with good photographs, enjoyed it. The elephant encounter was really thrilling and scary. Noticed that most houses were built a floor above on pillars, is it the style in that region or was it due to animal interference.
Also why did you not stay in Bhutan.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:35   #30
BHPian

A very invigorating read! The Dooars region have always eluded me, or maybe it's the other way around. Whenever I get this close to the Himalayas, the pull of magnetic Sikkim increases so much that I never could make that right turn on to the Coronation Bridge. Hopefully, all that is about to change as I've booked a 2 night's stay at Malbazar on my way back from Meghalaya during this Durga Puja. After going through the narrative of your experience and the super exciting pictures of fauna, I am thinking of skipping Guwahati and prolonging my stay at Dooars instead.

Thank you!
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed