Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 19:26   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: In the land of the thunder dragon - Driving Hondas from West Bengal to Bhutan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Can you compare the ride quality of the Honda's you drove during this event. Just the bump absorption/cushiness of the ride. Not handling. I drive a 2014 city and find the ride over broken surfaces very jarring. I was wondering if this was a common affliction of all the Honda's sold in India.
It is very likely that the wheel alignment is off. Get it checked at a tyre shop equipped with one of those new laser machines. At many service centers, wheel alignment jobs are done without care or accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Also, why was Honda Brio given a miss?
No diesel.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 20:59   #17
BHPian

Re: In the land of the thunder dragon - Driving Hondas from West Bengal to Bhutan!

A brilliant write-up and stunning photos, sir. The awesome weather sure has concocted a perfect setting for a photoshoot. All of the three SUVs - WR-V (if I may call it that ), BR-V, and CR-V look a lot more butch and purposeful in these pictures that they seem on the roads.

Who would've thought that Honda, who soldiered on with an all-petrol army up until 2014, would celebrate 3 lakh diesel cars on the road!
RoverX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 23:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
It is very likely that the wheel alignment is off. Get it checked at a tyre shop equipped with one of those new laser machines. At many service centers, wheel alignment jobs are done without care or accuracy.
My alignment balancing is perfect. The car stays true to center even without any steering input. Absolutely no steering vibration even at triple digit speeds. I just hate it how it handles potholes and speed breakers. Just transmits the shock to the spine. May be i need to test ride another city just to make sure that i don't have a lemon.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 01:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
My alignment balancing is perfect. The car stays true to center even without any steering input. Absolutely no steering vibration even at triple digit speeds. I just hate it how it handles potholes and speed breakers. Just transmits the shock to the spine. May be i need to test ride another city just to make sure that i don't have a lemon.
Depends on your driving speed. I have a 2015 City Petrol and at speeds less than 30-40 KMPH, the stiff suspension rattles my bones when I hit a pothole or a bump. at 40+ KMPH, the bump absorption is very good (in fact, its excellent! ) and the ride is almost flat- no shocks transmitted to the cabin. I have not driven a diesel though, but with the extra weight in the front, the ride should soften a bit at lower speeds compared to petrol version.

The key to prevent shocks in cabin while driving the City at low speeds is to really slow down to below 15 kmph and take the bumps/potholes.

If you're consistently experiencing poor ride no matter what the speed then you should get your car checked.
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 07:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Depends on your driving speed. I have a 2015 City Petrol and at speeds less than 30-40 KMPH, the stiff suspension rattles my bones when I hit a pothole or a bump. at 40+ KMPH, the bump absorption is very good (in fact, its excellent! ) and the ride is almost flat- no shocks transmitted to the cabin. I have not driven a diesel though, but with the extra weight in the front, the ride should soften a bit at lower speeds compared to petrol version.

The key to prevent shocks in cabin while driving the City at low speeds is to really slow down to below 15 kmph and take the bumps/potholes.

If you're consistently experiencing poor ride no matter what the speed then you should get your car checked.
I own a 2015 Jazz idtec and i completely agree with your afore meant points.This was the observation of various auto journals during their reviews with its own merits in comparison to the competitors in terms of handling,high speed manners etc.

The previous generation City and Jazz had plush ride quality but bottomed out in many speed breakers.

Honda has stiffened the suspension and hence the ride quality is jarring in low speed and good at above average speed depending on the size of the potholes in city roads.

In my 2+ years of experience with my jazz, i havent bottomed out (barring exceptionally designed bad car breakers) in 2nd gear, even though the car is fully loaded 5 + Full boot.

Playing with tyre pressure has a great impact in enhancing the ride quality.

Coming back to the topic of the thread.

Congrats to honda in selling 3 lakh Diesels in India.

Just was curious to know from 'Rudrasen' on how good/bad were the idtecs in climbing up the ghat sections?
Old 13th October 2017, 13:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:

All the cars to be shared by all the members and no, I didn’t drive Accord or CRV mainly for two reasons. One - I don’t like autobox and two - I wanted to check all their diesel variants as comfort/NVH/handling. Especially after my experience with their very first model Amaze during previous discover drive.
Fantastic fantastic pictures! Is that a Tokina 11-16? Just curious!

Did your impression change from the first Amaze that you had driven? How did the other cars drive?
Old 13th October 2017, 14:22   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTorq View Post
Just was curious to know from 'Rudrasen' on how good/bad were the idtecs in climbing up the ghat sections?
Absolutely no problem but there wasn't really any steep climb. That apart cars were not loaded with heavy luggage also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Fantastic fantastic pictures! Is that a Tokina 11-16? Just curious!
Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Quote:
Did your impression change from the first Amaze that you had driven? How did the other cars drive?
All the cars behaved well. Amaze now is truly an improved product and a huge change from what I drove then.
Rudra Sen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 14:37   #23
BHPian

Very well written Rudra Ji. Also, the pictures are really stunning. Just a few questions:

1. Did Honda make any tests to check the practicality of these cars? For instance checking the mileage(overall or segment-wise), ground clearance etc. or was it just a marketing drive?

2. How huge was the accompanying Honda team? Were they sitting in the same convoy of cars?

3. Was any technical team of Honda accompanying as well? Just in case of a breakdown or any unforeseen incident?

Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 14:57   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Just a few questions:
Replied below.

Quote:
1. Did Honda make any tests to check the practicality of these cars? For instance checking the mileage(overall or segment-wise), ground clearance etc. or was it just a marketing drive?
Honda didn't have to go through any test. All these variants are on road for long enough. These kind of drives are not to check anything but just to drive. We didn't have any so called rough road/no road kind of stretch. Honda always have a reconnaissance trip before starting their media drive.
Quote:
2. How huge was the accompanying Honda team? Were they sitting in the same convoy of cars?
Honda and their PR team put together must be around 7/8 members. Yes they were also traveling with us in same convoy.
Quote:
3. Was any technical team of Honda accompanying as well? Just in case of a breakdown or any unforeseen incident?
May be one or two as I'm not very sure. Honda have dealer support in Bhutan. There was one or two puncture issue and they got that fixed in no time.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 16:19   #25
BHPian

Your travelogue just refreshed the memories of my recent time to Bhutan in my Ford Figo which we did in September 2017.

The Honda(s) look great together in those snaps and some of those snaps are simply mind blowing and amazing.

I was wondering why did you guys not touch Haa Valley from Paro and the lesser traveled places beyond Thimphu which would actually be testing for the low GC Honda(s). The landscape and the photographs in those regions would be even more immaculate and would have added more 'Masala' to the drive !!

Loved the travelogue and rated it a 5*

Sharing a couple of images of my Figo from our trip : (Travelogue coming soon)

In the land of the thunder dragon - Driving Hondas from West Bengal to Bhutan!-img_7127.jpg

In the land of the thunder dragon - Driving Hondas from West Bengal to Bhutan!-img_7173.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 16:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic pictures Rudra Da, as usual if I may add

A note to Honda and other manufacturers, those big giant stickers on cars don't do any good to photography/pictures. Maybe some other means may be considered.

Honda diesel? Maybe no. The hydro-static lock issue and free revving nature of the i-vtec is good to warrant a petrol.
Old 13th October 2017, 16:52   #27
BHPian

A travelogue from Rudra Sen. I was pretty sure that I'd be in for a visual treat and wasn't I amazed!!

Question: Regarding the No stickers policy, is it like no stickers/decals (however big or small) are allowed or just the large gaudy ones Honda had put on was prohibited?

Last edited by nerd1200 : 13th October 2017 at 16:53.
Old 13th October 2017, 18:29   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
I was wondering why did you guys not touch Haa Valley from Paro and the lesser traveled places beyond Thimphu which would actually be testing for the low GC Honda(s). The landscape and the photographs in those regions would be even more immaculate and would have added more 'Masala' to the drive !!
This kind of trip is always planned well in advance in terms of route and night halt. What you're suggesting can only happen on a trip like you've done.
I'll be eagerly waiting for your travelogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A note to Honda and other manufacturers, those big giant stickers on cars don't do any good to photography/pictures. Maybe some other means may be considered.
LOL Sheel, you're going to break their hearts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Question: Regarding the No stickers policy, is it like no stickers/decals (however big or small) are allowed or just the large gaudy ones Honda had put on was prohibited?
In those few days I haven't seen cars with stickers. But I'm sure authority won't mind seeing team-bhp stickers on cars.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 17:02   #29
BHPian

Great TL Rudra Da. The pictures are amazing with perfect lighting all the time. I don't own a DSLR but often forget my point & shoot camera since the mobile picture quality has improved so much.

Bhutan is a wonderful place. Crossing the gate at Jaigaon, one can feel the difference. One's GNH goes up automatically.

Regards,

Pawan

Most Viewed