Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2006, 15:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks. Took me about 30-35 hours to write this over one week duration. I was too tired by the time I added the photos and did the proof-reading. This is the longest article I have ever written,
Quote:
I wonder how novelists manage.
of course, they get paid for it.
fantastic pictures. seriously, i did not have the time to read through, but those pics were really cool. what cam did you use ?
Old 30th November 2006, 22:40   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
fantastic pictures. seriously, i did not have the time to read through, but those pics were really cool. what cam did you use ?
Thanks, but if you read it, you would know which camera even before reaching the first photo...
Old 1st December 2006, 10:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but if you read it, you would know which camera even before reaching the first photo...
Quote:
Sony CyberShot DSC F-717
got it. once again, great pics, samurai.
Old 1st December 2006, 11:53   #34
BHPian

Took half an hour to read it, but was worth every min.

@ Samurai, you also made me feel how inadaquate I am when it comes to extreme physical conditions

Hats off to your perseverance. 99% of the people would have given up the trip on the first day of trekking. You belong to that 1%
Old 2nd December 2006, 15:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Great Article

Hai Samurai,

That's a great article, I read it in one go, took me a long time and it was well worth the time.

Photos are classy; good combination with Sony and a good eye for lighting, I guess.

I just finished a rafting, treking OBL (out bound learning) expedition at Rishikesh, Shivpuri, Biasi & Kaudiala from the 11th to 25th of November; I understand something of what you went thro. We had to trek every day 10 KM ( 5 + 5) up about 2000 Fts through dense foliage and first 3 days it was back breaking, then on..... every day was enjoyable. I am going to write seriously on the 14 raipds we rafted through on my travellogue with photos some day. Yours is one of the inspirations.

The gradient you went through is much much more in terms of height and difficulty. Three cheers for endurance!!!!

--Ramky
=========
Old 4th December 2006, 19:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

OMG, how did I missed this.

WOW that was an excellent write up & I loved reading your splitted posts in one go. Almost 45 mins passed like 45 secs. The moment I completed, given the excellent rating for this thread (And Iam very much happy I could compliment your travelogue).

Apart from fitness, you need to be passionate about doing trekking. Then it becomes easier as your confidence level itself make half work done.

OT: Have been to Dolphin nose at Kodai. Bunch of our guys reached the spot early (at 11.00 am) & it was no thrill. Since we already decided to spend the whole day there, we wanted to climb down from dolphin nose on the other end.

After 1 hrs of downward journey, we decided to conclude it there (We were aware it was much much much difficult to climb up). We rested there for 30 mins before the hectic climb. While we were chatting (few guys were enjoying drinks), I was shocked to see an old man ( surely in his 80's) with basket on this head walking upwards.

We offered him water & asked where he was heading too. He was to the market to buy some provisions. Asked him from where he was coming. For which he pointed out small looking huts deep down the hill. MY GOD, it should easily take another 2 hrs to climb down to that spot. He says he will purchase the provisions & walk back to his village before the sun settles.

Now I could understand how tough your trip would have been
Old 8th December 2006, 02:21   #37
BHPian

Honestly its the most Beautiful pictures of any indian hill state i have ever ever seen either you re a very very good shooter or was this place heaven
Old 8th December 2006, 08:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
Honestly its the most Beautiful pictures of any indian hill state i have ever ever seen either you re a very very good shooter or was this place heaven
It was the latter as the title says, I barely managed to capture the real beauty. Right after the trip I showed all the snaps to couple of pro-level photographers and they agreed my photographs were very average. However, the photos you see are lightly post-processed using Photoshop.

The only positive thing was I took up photography seriously after this trip, got a dSLR, multiple lenses, Photoshop CS2, and practice, practice, practice...
Old 13th December 2006, 11:41   #39

truly amazing write-up with mind-blowing photos ... I'm feeling envious samurai!
Old 19th December 2006, 02:21   #40

Great write up Samurai!!
I made that same trek a few years back : Tsoka - Bakhim - Yoksum - Dzongri - Goechala. We had initially planned it to be a 13 day trip but were dealyed by rain. Just me, my buddy, some pot, 2 chatty guides/porters, loads of yucky thupka and mother nature. THAT WAS LIFE!
It still is one of the more memorable treks and writeup simply takes me back there.
Old 19th December 2006, 11:41   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmist View Post
I made that same trek a few years back : Tsoka - Bakhim - Yoksum - Dzongri - Goechala. We had initially planned it to be a 13 day trip but were dealyed by rain. Just me, my buddy, some pot, 2 chatty guides/porters, loads of yucky thupka and mother nature. THAT WAS LIFE!
Damn! That's even more impressive, you went all the way to Goechala! That too with less helpers and bad food, I salute you.
Old 21st December 2006, 11:30   #42
BHPian

Fantastic write up.
Overall a good adventurous trip,
Old 29th December 2006, 20:42   #43

Quote:
Damn! That's even more impressive, you went all the way to Goechala! That too with less helpers and bad food, I salute you.
Well.. we had some pot as well.
...not to mention a little bit of that locally produced elaichi flavored alcohol to keep the cold at bay..heh!
We had some great pics of the trip but unfortunately lost them in a hard-disk crash. :(
Old 9th January 2007, 14:13   #44

Samurai,
Thanks for your reply to my Earlier post on Indians being adventurous,
basically thanks for posting this link there :-)
I have read this about half way ( sadly its time to go home from work, last bus leaves in 3 minutes)
But really loved it so far and the link is saved in my book marks will come back to it first thing tomorrow!
Thanks for the superb Trip log!

Have you considered travel writing as a career??
Old 16th April 2007, 18:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

Just read this post, man, it seems to have been one Hellava trip!! treked to dodital a few years back, thats uttarkashi to dodital, about 70Kms totally, went above the snow line, had snowfall whilst we were walking into our final destination camp. nothing like it in this whole world! sigh!

Most Viewed