Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2008, 00:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

@ Samurai: "Hey, you should check out my Sikkim Travelogue(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ngri-trek.html (Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek))."

Felt great reading your travelogue - made me nostalgic! I had done Dzongri in 1998 with friends from IIMC just after our graduation. We did Darjeeling - Yuksom - Dzongri. On the first day, we reached Tsoka (some friends stayed back in Bakhim and joined us the next day). Carrying the sacks on the last stretch to Bakhim (and then Tsoka) was tough, man. Went up to Dzongri the next morning, but came down in the afternoon as we had to go down the next day. Had one day of R&R in Yuksom after that. I love Dansberg, the Sikkimese beer (brewery in Yuksom - owned by Danny, the filmstar) - did you have it while in Sikkim?

Your pics are amazing! Loved the rainbow picture. Kanchendzonga is probably one of the most imposing peaks in the world. Those familiar with Darjeeling, would know that there's nothing like a good early morning rooftop breakfast at Keventers while looking at the early morning sun shining on the mighty Kanchendzonga.

Have been reading your Vitara threads with interest :-). When is your next adventure?
Old 4th May 2008, 01:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

@ Samurai - from your Dzongri thread:
"From But it was different from the first day. I think we were much aware of what to expect and we were much closer to the destination. I also believe our stamina level must have received a boost by the first day of walking."

I have noticed this too - the first day is the toughest. Afterwards I guess the lungs and the legs get used to the strain.

By the way, when we were doing Dzongri, we were on a shoestring budget, and had to carry our own sacks. But then I was probably 10 kgs lighter :-)

Now, if I had to go on a trek my wife, I would probably go on an easier trek and focus on enjoying the scenery more rather than focusing on the next step and willing yourself to keep going forward. When one is doing tough treks - especially with load, one is so focused on making it to the objective that one forgets to 'stand and stare' - enjoy the view. The sense of satisfaction and contentment comes when you are in the tent or cabin in the evening - looking back. But during the day, it is like 'how many #$x^#!! kms more?'

We survived on Maggi, bread, glucose and baked beans (more food - more to carry!) - they used to taste delicious after the exertion.
Old 4th May 2008, 10:32   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Now, if I had to go on a trek my wife, I would probably go on an easier trek and focus on enjoying the scenery more rather than focusing on the next step and willing yourself to keep going forward.
I absolutely agree. We want to do one more trip, but this time on a Jeep, so that we have time to look around and shoot photographs.

Trekking gives you that feeling of accomplishment, but really harsh on us people with low fitness level.
Old 7th June 2008, 14:57   #64
BHPian

Hi Samurai,
I am new to this forum and just looked at this post. WOW and i really mean WOW!!!!! hats off to you both, by far this is the best travelogue i have ever read and the best trip i have seen,i have been bragging about your trip to my getaway mates everyday. We are all truly inspired to make such a trip ourselves in the near future ourselves. Truly inspiring. Cheers mate!!!

This post goes to my favorites so i read it and take a virtual trip everyday at the office whenever my pshycho manager overloads me with work.
Old 7th June 2008, 15:55   #65
LLL
BHPian

wow man....and i thought poughkeepsie trails and vaishno devi were like climbing the everest.

Hats off to you...
Old 30th June 2008, 20:23   #66
BHPian

@samurai.Amazing travelogue!!.I should have read this before my Goecha La trek.We did Goecha la a few months back and hence i could understand the depth of each and every word of your travelogue!!!.I know everybody can understand, but only if you do one, you will really know!!!Your wife owes special congrats.Those pics may help me in convincing my wife for the Everest Base Camp next year.Too lazy for a travelogue.Hope you don't mind me putting some of our snaps here.
Attached Thumbnails
Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dscn5074.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dscn5082.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dscn5110.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dscn5247.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dsc_1560.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dsc_1396.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dsc_1270.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dsc_0973.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dscn5260.jpg  

Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dscn5622.jpg  

Old 30th June 2008, 23:42   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftron View Post
Hi Samurai,
I am new to this forum and just looked at this post. WOW and i really mean WOW!!!!! hats off to you both, by far this is the best travelogue i have ever read and the best trip i have seen,i have been bragging about your trip to my getaway mates everyday.
Thanks man, that's a great compliment you have given me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
@samurai.Amazing travelogue!!.I should have read this before my Goecha La trek.We did Goecha la a few months back and hence i could understand the depth of each and every word of your travelogue!!!.
You went much further than we did. If we had more experience, we could have considered Goecha la. But we had to watch our physical limits.

I just opened up one of your images to see through the dark part.
Few days close to Heaven: The Dzongri Trek-dsc_1270.jpg
Old 1st July 2008, 23:43   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks man, that's a great compliment you have given me.

You went much further than we did. If we had more experience, we could have considered Goecha la. But we had to watch our physical limits.

I just opened up one of your images to see through the dark part.
Attachment 25426
That looks much better now.Hey samurai,didn't you recognize that lady in the 4th pic.The best part of trekking is the amazing amount of confidence we carry back with us..Didn't you go up to the monastery above the kachepurilake?It's an awesome place,we could feel the meditative mood of the surroundings.
Old 2nd July 2008, 02:26   #69
BHPian

Congratulations on this superb travelogue. And thanks for sharing those experiences with us.

I must confess I have only read the first post so far but I absolutely loved it. The way you describe things makes it really easy to feel each moment with you. I am really looking forward to reading the rest. And of course, those pictures are awesome!!! The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful and you took some brilliant shots.
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:02   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
That looks much better now.Hey samurai,didn't you recognize that lady in the 4th pic.The best part of trekking is the amazing amount of confidence we carry back with us..Didn't you go up to the monastery above the kachepurilake?It's an awesome place,we could feel the meditative mood of the surroundings.
Gosh, you mean that was the restaurant lady from Mysore? Small world indeed, her kid must be 3+ now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
Congratulations on this superb travelogue. And thanks for sharing those experiences with us. I must confess I have only read the first post so far but I absolutely loved it. The way you describe things makes it really easy to feel each moment with you.
Thanks Jenny, it still gives us goose bumps. But it also gave us confidence to explore more adventures, like the white water rafting last Sunday, do checkout that travelogue. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ita-river.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
And of course, those pictures are awesome!!! The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful and you took some brilliant shots.
Thanks, but do read post #6, I got back into photography after this trip.
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:49   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I absolutely agree. We want to do one more trip,

Trekking gives you that feeling of accomplishment, but really harsh on us people with low fitness level.
Talking about people with low fitness levels making a mountain climb, checkout my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uty-sweat.html

Your trekking experience and the photos are really great. Keep it up.
Old 6th July 2008, 22:30   #72
BHPian

That's some experience Samurai.....the best part was that we could feel as if we were with you all through the trek with your vivid description & eye for detail.

Have been trekking to various forts/mountains of the western ghats of Maharashtra & have always had the fascination for Himalayan treks for a long time now. But I know that a Himalayan trek will be a different ball game altogether with the rarified atmosphere.

Your writeup was an inspiration & looking forward to going on a Himalayan trek of my own in some years from now as long as I have the drive for it, two good feet & several thousand bucks by my side
Old 31st August 2008, 22:46   #73
abs
BHPian

Great Travelogue Samurai. I must get my wife to somehow read it to feel inspired. She has said no more offroading after just 2 Kelambakkam OTR's @ Chennai. I am an outdoor guy whereas she is an indoor person. I have a few questions.

What was the total cost of the whole trip?

What is the physical fitness specifications / minimum health conditions required to do the trekking? Wife is asmatic. Will it be deterrant in anyway?

What was the age of the youngest person you saw trekking (local kids dont count)? I have a 6 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. Just wondering if I can take my son along.

Suprising that there is no facility to charge batteries - Not even mechanical handwinder / solar panel powered chargers? eh?

Makes me think that there are enough places to see in India itself in a life time.
Old 1st September 2008, 11:51   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
What was the total cost of the whole trip?
That can vary a lot depending on your itinerary and choice of touring company and level of luxury.

Quote:
What is the physical fitness specifications / minimum health conditions required to do the trekking? Wife is asmatic. Will it be deterrant in anyway?
Non-stop brisk walk at 5kmph for one hour on a treadmill set to max inclination. Do that for a month, you should be fine. Your wife should take doctor's advice.

Quote:
What was the age of the youngest person you saw trekking (local kids dont count)? I have a 6 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. Just wondering if I can take my son along.
We saw one 7 year old from Bangalore who made it all the way and back.
Old 24th September 2009, 00:49   #75
BHPian

Samurai - Indeed a fabulous travelogue, I have been trekking most of my life in Uttarakhand, and your entire trip has inspired me to take a plunge to NE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks