Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2019, 12:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A week in Istanbul - Turkey

Crisp but excellent travelogue! Does anyone have any experiences of the new IST airport? We may be travelling year-end and was looking at flights to Sabiha Gocken as well as to the new IST mega-airport.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 20:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Crisp but excellent travelogue! Does anyone have any experiences of the new IST airport? We may be travelling year-end and was looking at flights to Sabiha Gocken as well as to the new IST mega-airport.
Yes, I took three flights to and fro the new Istanbul airport and one out of Sahiba Gocken airport.

New airport is huge. Aeroplane taxing times will be 15 to 20 minutes and then walking to passport control or international transfer is again 15 minutes affair.

Sahiba is not a huge airport but if you stay in Taksim square side, you can use Sahiba Gocken. Also most of the international flights use the new Istanbul airport. If you stay Sultanahmet side, I suggest using the new airport.

P.S: A new travelogue is coming on Turkey. Stay tuned.
rst89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 00:22   #18
BHPian

Just came back from turkey after a nice 15 day vacation. I can't ever have enough to say about that beautiful country and the friendly people. It's truly a marriage of East and West.

Capadoccia was beautiful, but the place that really blew me away was Antalya. Living in the old city in a small B&B is absolutely recommended. It's like being in Europe but at half the price.

It's a place that should be on ever travellers list.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th June 2019 at 08:09. Reason: Spelling of Capadoccia corrected
mav2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 12:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Any tips on driving a hire car in Turkey? Not in Istanbul as such but the usual destinations like Cappadocia, Antalya, Pamukkale etc.

I will definitely get an IDP but any other tips would be highly appreciated.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 03:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Any tips on driving a hire car in Turkey? Not in Istanbul as such but the usual destinations like Cappadocia, Antalya, Pamukkale etc.

I will definitely get an IDP but any other tips would be highly appreciated.
I did not have a rental car while I was in Istanbul. For the most part, nothing too different from the rest of Europe from what I have observed. If you have some experience driving on the right, it should just be fine. Otherwise, it takes a bit of getting used to.

Most Viewed