Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2018, 08:38   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Being from Bihar myself..
That is a pleasant surprise, so we have petrol heads, from Bihar and a fair number from JH [whom I continue to consider Biharis]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Taking NH27 via Purnea bypass was a effortless except for a senseless traffic jam just outside Purnea. The jam involving mostly trucks was massive stretching up to 6-7 kms easily. We took the trucks off road to check out the situation as nobody knew the reason for the snarl. To our astonishment all the trucks were trying avoid flyover and were going under it for some reason. The flyover was completely empty and we just breezed through as we could comfortably cross the median on our trucks. I still have no idea why everybody was just waiting in the queue to go below the flyover. It could have easily been a 4-5 hour long wait as most of the truck drivers had parked on the highway and were nowhere around.
Well, that was not Purnia, but Purnia more or Dalkola, which falls in W.B.

The sea of trucks below the fly over were going left, towards West Bengal. And the road ahead [by taking the flyover] goes to Bihar/UP/EW corridor.

That place is notorious for jam because of a railways crossing just 2-3 kms from that fly-over point. We usually see the situation on G-maps and if it is very bad, we come via the Bahadurgunj route. Else, a 4X4, decent GC is enough to change lanes, clamber over dividers and reach the fly-over.

And thanks for the invite, will try
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 09:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That is a pleasant surprise, so we have petrol heads, from Bihar and a fair number from JH [whom I continue to consider Biharis]
Lets catch up when I am in that part of country next time or if you venture west

Quote:
Well, that was not Purnia, but Purnia more or Dalkola, which falls in W.B.

The sea of trucks below the fly over were going left, towards West Bengal. And the road ahead [by taking the flyover] goes to Bihar/UP/EW corridor.

That place is notorious for jam because of a railways crossing just 2-3 kms from that fly-over point. We usually see the situation on G-maps and if it is very bad, we come via the Bahadurgunj route.
Thanks for the clarification. Regarding G-maps, it did not show any jam at all. That was the reason we decided to go from the wrong side / off-road to check out the situation.

Anyway, the country side in Bihar was just gorgeous at that time of the year. Thanks to yellow mustard fields. Some of the locals who surrounded us were wondering if we had come for survey and when would the road be constructed.

Adding couple of pictures of Furteela here:

A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-sikkim-bhutan-1.jpg

A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-sikkim-bhutan-2.jpg
ragh_bhushan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 00:40   #48
BHPian

A bit too late to the party, but nevertheless, an awesome compilation of pics and narrative there, Chandra! Well done, right from drafting the itinerary to writing this stuff. Just relived the entire trip in reading through this travelogue.

My preparation started right after we ended the Spiti trip. And that was to convince the ladies at home to do this trip within next 5 months. They agreed, albeit reluctantly and with few caveats. Lot of eyebrows was raised in my close circles at the idea driving all the way to Sikkim. My reply (like a typical Bhpian) – The journey is as much or even more enjoyable than the destination itself and that too in the company of seasoned road trippers/travelers like Chandra, Bhushan and RK bhai. Turned out to be an E-P-I-C journey in the end.

Travlogue has a lot of details, so I am just adding some of my observations/pics below

On day 1, we could have gone further ahead of Jhansi, had we not chosen the Indore-Ujjain-Jhalawad-Shivpuri route. Ujjain-Jhalawad section was painful with two lane potholed roads passing through some crowded places.

NH27 was fantastic throughout UP and Bihar with well thought out bypass roads for large cities like Kanpur and Lucknow.

Visit to Gurudongmar lake on day 6 was easily the best day of trip which offered varying views including snow-capped mountains, barren mountains, arid land, frozen waterfalls, frozen streams and frozen lake. We had the Gurudongmar lake all for ourselves as we were the only one to visit it that day. The lake was semi-frozen much to our delight as it offered both the summer view (blue water) and the winter view (wearing thick ice cover). All the cameras we had went into overdrive mode and photos were clicked like there was no tomorrow. On the way back, Endy had an unfortunate incident with a military truck, but given the spirited guy he is, Chandra was unperturbed and trip went on.

Another highlight of the trip was day 9 when we drove on the old silk route which was covered in clouds in many patches post Nathula. It was a surreal experience with huge sea of clouds below your eye level.

Traffic discipline in both Sikkim and especially Bhutan was commendable with people strictly following the no-honking, no-overtaking and proper lane driving. We realized this the moment we entered Pheuntsoling, when sound of loud horns from Jaigaon (border town in WB) was suddenly replaced by complete silence on the road.

Bhutan was just a kind of tick-in-the-box for us and we didn't explore it much. But Bhutan did leave us impressed with its good roads, traffic discipline, emphasis on cleanliness and in general high happiness quotient.

One word on both the trucks, just flawless. These kind of vehicles are just perfect for cross country trips. I enjoyed driving both of them. Now some pics

At hotel in Jhansi. Endy was an attention magnet everywhere we went. Guys in the background took selfies with Endy
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-1-day-1.jpg

Foggy drive from Jhansi on day 2
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-3-day-2.jpg

Would recommend this hotel in Kanpur. Delicious parathas they serve
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-4-day-2.jpg

Hotel bang opposite Muzaffarpur station
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-5-day-2.jpg

SRK pose in a "Sarso ka khet" in Bihar
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-6-day-31.jpg

View from our hotel in Kalimpong
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-6-day-32.jpg

Sood's International in Kalimpong. Highly recommended
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-7-day-3.jpg

Teesta river. Gave us company almost throughout the Sikkim trip
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-8-day-4.jpg

Rangpo is the first town in Sikkim
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-10-day-4.jpg

Welcome to Sikkim
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-9-day-4.jpg

Breakfast in Mangan DC office canteen. This was to become the staple breakfast/lunch in Sikkim and Bhutan
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-11-day-5.jpg

Teesta again
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-13-day-5.jpg

Teesta from atop the mountain
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-14-day-5.jpg

On Mangan-Lachen route
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-15-day-5.jpg

Desert on the way to Gurudongmar lake
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-16-day-6.jpg

The Gurudongmar lake
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-17-day-6.jpg

Couldn't resist posting this again
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-18-day-6.jpg

A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-19-day-6.jpg

A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-20-day-6.jpg

Somewhere in Yumthang valley
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-21-day7.jpg

Zero Point
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-22-day-7.jpg

A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-23-day-7.jpg

A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-24-day-7.jpg

Do I have anything left to conquer?
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-25-day-8.jpg

The million dollar question (look below the rear wiper)
A Dinosaur and a Snail take the Silk Route to Sikkim and Bhutan!-26.jpg
P.S. This was from Spiti trip
mahesh_sn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 10:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Thanks Maddy3008. Buying an Endy 4/5 years down the line is a long wait. This is what I had thought last year as well but ended up buying it in less than year after planning for it and I don't regret it one bit Its a amazing tourer and that's exactly what I use it for. In the city I prefer to use my beater sedan.
I know its a long wait but a wait I will have to endure. I have just gotten delivery of my TUV a week back and my finances and my wife will not permit another vehicle so soon !

I will nevertheless show her your comments on the Endeavor.
Old 11th March 2018, 23:27   #50
BHPian

RK helped in identifying a store which provided high altitude adventure stuff for rent/sale and we headed to that place. Got the following stuff.

Hi Chand,

I have planned a Leh Ladakh trip in this June and am looking for High altitude adventure stuff. Could you please give me the details of the store from where you have acquired the stuff.

Thanks,

Subrata
Old 12th March 2018, 10:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
A bit too late to the party, but nevertheless, an awesome compilation of pics and narrative there, Chandra! Well done, right from drafting the itinerary to writing this stuff. Just relived the entire trip in reading through this travelogue.
Thanks Mahesh for posting those pics and giving your pespective!

Quote:
Couldn't resist posting this again
Attachment 1740330

That has to be the pic of the trip. Just cant get enough of it!

Quote:
Attachment 1740328

Lots more left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy3008 View Post
I know its a long wait but a wait I will have to endure. I have just gotten delivery of my TUV a week back and my finances and my wife will not permit another vehicle so soon !
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post

I have planned a Leh Ladakh trip in this June and am looking for High altitude adventure stuff. Could you please give me the details of the store from where you have acquired the stuff.

Subrata

Here you go. The name of the setup is Mountain Sports Academy.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...2.826497?hl=en

All the best for your trip to Ladakh

Last edited by @Chaand : 12th March 2018 at 10:24.
Old 12th March 2018, 13:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mahesh for posting those pics and giving your pespective!

That has to be the pic of the trip. Just cant get enough of it!

Lots more left

Good luck!

Here you go. The name of the setup is Mountain Sports Academy.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...2.826497?hl=en

All the best for your trip to Ladakh
Thanks Chand for your quick revert with the details of the store, will visit once and will buy whatever is required. Also thanks for your best wishes. we are starting on 1st June from Vasai and will enter from Srinagar and exit from Shimla as we are also visiting Kaza. It will be a 25 days trip altogether.

Thanks once again,

Cheers
Subrata
Old 13th March 2018, 11:25   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShubhamGhute View Post
What was the overall efficiency for the entire trip?

No car discussion in India is complete without the 'kitni deti hein' question.
JohnyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 12:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1740328
I think this pic posted by Mahesh was the most defining pic of your escapades. Hats off to Chandra, Bhushan, Mahesh and other chap for taking off on a trip which most of us would only dream of.

When I was browsing the travelogue at home, the better half had a question for these braves. "How do their spouse allow them on such a trip"

Superbly written supported by some stunning pics (some wall paper stuff). I am sure the GQ must be on the immediate list. Wishing you guys happy riding and treat us to some more wonders on this country which we keep wishing for.
ghodlur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 13:58   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hats off to Chandra, Bhushan, Mahesh and other chap for taking off on a trip which most of us would only dream of.
Thank you. Of all trips done so far, this has to be the mother of all trips for me! And yes, thanks again for recommending the dashcam.

Quote:
When I was browsing the travelogue at home, the better half had a question for these braves. "How do their spouse allow them on such a trip"
You have touched a raw nerve here and I'm sure that it is a common question in every motorhead's household. Mahesh has already shared his story! I was barred from any long trips for a while after completing this trip!

Quote:
Superbly written supported by some stunning pics (some wall paper stuff). I am sure the GQ must be on the immediate list. Wishing you guys happy riding and treat us to some more wonders on this country which we keep wishing for.

Thanks once again. I have done the GQ barring a small stretch but it doesn't interest me no more. The lure of the mountains >> any other terrain. That's where the fun is, and more so when you have snow around.

Just today morning I was checking my calendar as to when we can make the next to the mountains. Looks far off for now :(

Last edited by @Chaand : 14th March 2018 at 14:10.
@Chaand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 15:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
Haha true! We are Indians and we have (atleast I have) attitude of saving bucks when/where I can! My brother drives a Ford Endeavour 3.2 and he is not satisfied with mileage. He gets around 6-7 kmpl where as his Mitsubishi Montero used to return him around 9kmpl in same driving style. Hence wanted to gather some information.

Its the same thing with cell phones as well! We buy cellphones for 50k and put a 200 bucks cover and tempered glass just to avoid scratches.
ShubhamGhute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 12:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Epilouge:

12. Not a single hotel was booked in advance. Each and every place we stayed in was booked on the fly. Aggregation sites did help (where data connectivity was available) in knowing the reviews of the hotel.

This is the most exciting and fun part of the whole travel. Of course general preparations and overall homework is required, but not booking hotels in advance - same hotels with standard facilities and structure - this is great.
JohnyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 07:44   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

What a beautifully compiled travelogue. Great effort @Chaand. Cheers to you. I was just awed by what you guys did and how interestingly you have put that down on paper. A nicely written, gripping read.
Rated the well deserved five stars.

I am travelling a trip to Bhutan/ Sikkim from Kochi. I will be routing via Pune. So, I will more or less be using the same routing as you guys for the onward journey. As of now though, I haven't decided whether I will do a leisurely Bhutan including the Eastern Sectors or will I do a little hurried Bhutan + Sikkim. I had a few queries if you would be kind to help: -
1. What is the procedure for permits at Mangan? Is it easily given?
2. Can all these places you covered be done on a front wheel drive vehicle? (Zero Point, Gurudongmar, Zuluk etc). (No, I don't mean the ice path. I don't intend to get frozen to death after my car gets stuck!!)
3. Is zero point worth? (I heard the remark on the video uploaded ). Or should we turn back from Yumthang?
4. From where to rent snow boots?
5. How reliable are Google maps in Sikkim and in Bhutan?
6. How is mobile connectivity at Sikkim?
7. Permit to Nathula- Is it managed completely by the Army or is local administration too involved?
8. There was a snap of a memorandum I saw, saying permits of domestic vehicles not being issued. I guess with you travelling, that doubt is put to rest
9. If I do the silk route from Rongli side, can I do Nathula and reach Gangtok the same day?
10. What are the time restrictions in the Nathula route? You did mention about 12 o clock cap. Can you please throw some more light?
11. Any particular reason why you guys didn't venture to Bumthang sector in Bhutan? Was it paucity of time, roads or something else?

Long queue of questions, I know. But please pardon me.

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 21st March 2018 at 07:46.
Old 21st March 2018, 10:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
What a beautifully compiled travelogue. Great effort @Chaand. Cheers to you. I was just awed by what you guys did and how interestingly you have put that down on paper. A nicely written, gripping read.
Rated the well deserved five stars.
Thank you sir!

1. What is the procedure for permits at Mangan? Is it easily given?
Ans: Just fill a form (available at Mangan DO office). Permits are easy to get provided:
a. You are travelling in a capable vehicle (preferably 4x4)
b. There isn't too much snow/ice on the way, in which case even 4x4's and
local tourist vehicles are not entertained.

2. Can all these places you covered be done on a front wheel drive vehicle? (Zero Point, Gurudongmar, Zuluk etc). (No, I don't mean the ice path. I don't intend to get frozen to death after my car gets stuck!!)
Ans: No. As i mentioned in my post, we were the only 2 vehicles to go to Gurugondmar on that day. Rest of the vehicles with 2WD's (innovas and Boleros) could not do it. Same applies to Yumthang also as roads are equally bad with ice/snow coverings.

3. Is zero point worth? (I heard the remark on the video uploaded ). Or should we turn back from Yumthang?
Ans: Zero point as a destination is not really worth it. But the route to the point is fun and that's what is a travelers delight. You have Yumthang on the way (lots of snow at Yumthang), some lovely woods and then of course the hot springs. Also, Zero point is not that far from Yumthang that you should skip it.

4. From where to rent snow boots?
Ans: Yumthang. You have to leave your shoes as a deposit (alongwith payment) and collect those snow boots. One the way back, give the snow boots back and collect your shoes.

5. How reliable are Google maps in Sikkim and in Bhutan?
Ans: Extremely reliable in Sikkim. For Bhutan google maps did not work. As a matter of fact they stopped working as soon as we crossed the border. So did the inbuilt Ford and Toyota maps.

6. How is mobile connectivity at Sikkim?
Ans: All providers provide lovely connectivity at Gangtok and poor/scrappy connectivity in the rest of the hills.

7. Permit to Nathula- Is it managed completely by the Army or is local administration too involved?
Ans: We went through the army as one of us is the nephew of an army man and hence things moved faster. Local administration has stopped issuing permits but you can try if you have a capable vehicle.

8. There was a snap of a memorandum I saw, saying permits of domestic vehicles not being issued. I guess with you travelling, that doubt is put to rest
Ans: That where the army contacts helped.

9. If I do the silk route from Rongli side, can I do Nathula and reach Gangtok the same day?
Ans: Yes, you can do that. Some others including VS have done the same.

10. What are the time restrictions in the Nathula route? You did mention about 12 o clock cap. Can you please throw some more light?
Ans: Yes. 12:00 clock restriction is at the third mile checkpost. Applicable when you go to Nathula from GTK. Checks are applicable only for Nathula, not for Zuluk, Kupup etc.

11. Any particular reason why you guys didn't venture to Bumthang sector in Bhutan? Was it paucity of time, roads or something else?
Ans: We did not enjoy Bhutan that much as Sikkim as the adventure quotient was less. The time factor was also there as Mahesh had a hard stop.

Long queue of questions, I know. But please pardon me.
I hope I have answered the questions to your liking. Happy to elaborate more if required.

Last edited by @Chaand : 21st March 2018 at 11:02.
@Chaand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir!

I hope I have answered the questions to your liking. Happy to elaborate more if required.
Definitely. Thanks a lot on all your guidance. Shall trouble you soon if I face anymore trouble.

Most Viewed