Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2018, 00:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Epilogue

Epilouge

Last edited by mpksuhas : 1st April 2018 at 18:20.
mpksuhas is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 20:19   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Kanyakumari - Rameswaram - Madurai

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 21:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Day 3 Ctd

Nice write-up and some nice pics, mpksuhas.

You are a fan of this Valluvar restaurant , I see you stopping here every time you take this route. This hotel is perfectly located at the mid distance towards Kanyakumari/Trivandrum, but I hate taking a "U" turn here as it is on a super-fast stretch.

Bad that you missed the train crossing on the Pamban bridge, that for sure is a wonderful sighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
04-Nov-2017
By 09:45 AM we were crossing the dusty bye-pass of Madurai.
This section is relaid and more importantly its no more a two-way.

Quote:
After resting for a while, we decide to head to Madurai Meenakshi Temple, instead of driving, we decide on taking Ola for Madurai commute.
Yes, for people who want to go around Madurai, the best option is to take an auto or taxi to go around. This city is crowded with lot of narrow roads and depending on GPS is also risky.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 21:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You are a fan of this Valluvar restaurant , I see you stopping here every time you take this route. This hotel is perfectly located at the mid distance towards Kanyakumari/Trivandrum, but I hate taking a "U" turn here as it is on a super-fast stretch.

The very first time I stopped there was in 2013 (pic here), been stopping here for breakfast during all drives since.

Yes, true the U turn part is an annoying factor. However, I don't like any other restaurant in that stretch ~ 1 hour north or south of this for breakfast. The other option I have seen is Aarti south of this place, which is a bus stopover.

Quote:
Bad that you missed the train crossing on the Pamban bridge, that for sure is a wonderful sighting.
Yes, have seen pics of the same on forum and elsewhere. Would have been great, however I guess unless you are lucky, for spotting train you will have to park before or after the bridge and walk till the middle. With no parking signages and narrow bridge, you may not be able to wait for train to come while parked on the bridge.

Quote:
This section is relaid and more importantly its no more a two-way.
That's great news. Hope the slightly patchy sections south of Madurai is also done. Also, noticed a BPCOCO getting ready few KM's south of Madurai.

Quote:
Yes, for people who want to go around Madurai, the best option is to take an auto or taxi to go around. This city is crowded with lot of narrow roads and depending on GPS is also risky.
Exactly. Also, with app based cab services being cheap you don't have to think twice. Even Though our hotel was to say on other side of the town compared to temple, it cost us only around Rs 180 for cab. If you are driving down, fuel + parking will almost be the same amount.

Plus, taking cab for such crowded places give peace of mind, you do not want to be worried about your car parked beside a crowded road while you are sightseeing.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 22:16   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't like any other restaurant in that stretch ~ 1 hour north or south of this for breakfast. The other option I have seen is Aarti south of this place, which is a bus stopover.
Yes, after this the options are limited till Hotel Temple City which is closer to Madurai.

Quote:
Yes, have seen pics of the same on forum and elsewhere. Would have been great, however I guess unless you are lucky, for spotting train you will have to park before or after the bridge and walk till the middle. With no parking signages and narrow bridge, you may not be able to wait for train to come while parked on the bridge.
Even though its a no parking zone, traffic police allow people to stop the vehicle here. We waited for more than an hour for a train to pass.

Quote:
That's great news. Hope the slightly patchy sections south of Madurai is also done. Also, noticed a BPCOCO getting ready few KM's south of Madurai.
Yes, this is open now.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:33   #21
BHPian

Re: Epilogue

Good detailed travelogue, Suhas. Lots of information for anybody planning travel on this route. I have been to these places over different times in the last few years, but always in a TT or by train.

I've been planning to do this exact same trip for a year now, but somehow other trips are taking precedence over this one. The excuse is always "We've been there so why again?". I keep telling them that we haven't driven there, but alas it seems to fall on deaf ears.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 09:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Kanyakumari - Rameswaram - Madurai

So you guys are all back! Lalu churning left right center and so are you! Great notes on the places. The feel of taking to the road is always different and a nice.

I vaguely remember seeing Valluvar when was driving back from Kodai, but chose to drive all the way to Salem for a break.

Its been many years since I have been to Kanyakumari/Rameshwaram/Maduram. Also need to explore the Sriviliputur side of TN.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd April 2018 at 09:42.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 10:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Day 2 Ctd

Thanks for sharing. The pictures look great.

Quote:
Optimus against lush green fields
Attachment 1746997
Great Pic there. The Southern most tip of India has always been on my bucket list. Despite living in Chennai for over 2 years, we didn't go there (probably because I was just a kid back then and I didn't have a driving license ). Maybe now, I can convince the parents to go make it a family trip down south.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 21:37   #24
BHPian

Re: Day 3

Nice travelogue there!

Quote:
Dhanushkodi - Rameshwaram - Madurai
We start noticing end of road
Attachment 1747070
Attachment 1747071
It's 06:58 AM when we reach end of the road. There is only one another vehicle and handful of people when we reach there. Thankfully, drizzling has stopped for now.
Dhanushkodi is attracting a lot of tourism attention these days. All thanks to the newly laid roads. Interestingly, the new Swift's advert looks like to be shot here.

Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Kanyakumari - Rameswaram - Madurai-swift.jpg
vjkamal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

So you are well and truly back, eh? A typical Wanderlust travelogue, right on the mark

The vattakottai fort - It used to be jutting out into the sea. Has the sea receded there? And no snaps of the circular coconut trees?

The use of psychedelic colors on the interiors of ancient temples in Tamil Nadu is very jarring. Wish they consult ASI before doing up temples like seedy cinema theaters
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 17:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkamal View Post
Nice travelogue there!

Dhanushkodi is attracting a lot of tourism attention these days. All thanks to the newly laid roads. Interestingly, the new Swift's advert looks like to be shot here.

Attachment 1747958
This is not Dhanushkodi but looks a lot it. Or the ad could be shot here and some CG done to make it a bit more appealing.
varunanb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:30   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
I've been planning to do this exact same trip for a year now, but somehow other trips are taking precedence over this one. The excuse is always "We've been there so why again?". I keep telling them that we haven't driven there, but alas it seems to fall on deaf ears.
Thanks.
Well, you seems to be on a big cat census mission, so no wonder you are not getting time.

I been thinking of this trip since many years, some or other thing comes up and it didn't work out till now. However, I don't think this will be the right time, you should consider after rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So you guys are all back! Lalu churning left right center and so are you! Great notes on the places. The feel of taking to the road is always different and a nice.
Thanks.

Well, Lalu is on a different level. He is coming up with new travelogue before you can read his old one.

And yes, unless you plan to primarily spend your time inside a resort, driving down does make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks for sharing. The pictures look great.
Great Pic there. The Southern most tip of India has always been on my bucket list. Despite living in Chennai for over 2 years, we didn't go there (probably because I was just a kid back then and I didn't have a driving license
Rameshwaram was / is still a pilgrim center mainly (and less of a tourist destination). It is slowly gaining popularity in tourist circle thanks to Dhanushkodi.

That said, you can combine Rameshwaram with Karaikudi too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
So you are well and truly back, eh? A typical Wanderlust travelogue, right on the mark
Thanks.
Well, yes. There is another one coming up soon
Quote:
The vattakottai fort - It used to be jutting out into the sea. Has the sea receded there? And no snaps of the circular coconut trees?
Oh, great. Last time I visited (don't recollect it exactly ~ 20 years, was in your Ambassador) I recollect lying down on fort wall and watching sea below. This time, sea strangely looked a bit far from fort. I thought my earlier recollection was just childhood imagination. Glad that it is not.

And no, the spiral coconut tree is not there. Searched for that and didn't find.

Quote:
The use of psychedelic colors on the interiors of ancient temples in Tamil Nadu is very jarring. Wish they consult ASI before doing up temples like seedy cinema theaters
I used to think the same till I saw this done at an ASI maintained fort (not even a temple), so no hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
This is not Dhanushkodi but looks a lot it. Or the ad could be shot here and some CG done to make it a bit more appealing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjkamal View Post
Interestingly, the new Swift's advert looks like to be shot here.]
As Varunanb mentioned, it is not Dhanuskodi. May be an inspired CG.

You can see the picture below of the same place from air. This was shared on HVK form by a member sometime last year, I had downloaded it and kept it for canvassing my friends when I was making the trip plan.

I am not able to find the original post or able to recollect who the photographer was. If anyone know the same, please let know.

Photo credit to the unknown HVK forum member -

Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Kanyakumari - Rameswaram - Madurai-fb_img_1506881416039.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 10:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, great. Last time I visited (don't recollect it exactly ~ 20 years, was in your Ambassador)
Good old Amby!

Quote:
I recollect lying down on fort wall and watching sea below. This time, sea strangely looked a bit far from fort. I thought my earlier recollection was just childhood imagination. Glad that it is not.

And no, the spiral coconut tree is not there. Searched for that and didn't find.
While you are happy to get your memory back am sad that the fort is no longer on the sea!!

Forget the spiral coconut tree - all coconut trees seems to have been replaced with casuarina
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 12:05   #29
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, another refreshing wanderlust TL again, thanks for sharing Suhas

Excellent choice of places to visit and planning, lot of eye for detail is evident, and thanks a ton for logging all those details, will help folks reading in their planning for a similar trip.

Rating 5 stars!

Just returned from a vacation and after reading this, I feel like going on vacation again to visit Dhanushkodi and Rameshwaram just for the new road to land's end and the Kalam memorial
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 22:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Forget the spiral coconut tree - all coconut trees seems to have been replaced with casuarina
There are few coconut trees still left, however it is nothing like it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Just returned from a vacation and after reading this, I feel like going on vacation again to visit Dhanushkodi and Rameshwaram just for the new road to land's end and the Kalam memorial
Well, the place is surely seeing sudden spurt in tourists and may soon be another Kanyakumari soon (crowded, polluted).

Though you have been to Dhanushkodi earlier, you should have a Dizzy drive while it is pristine still.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed