Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2018, 07:28   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Nanded - Lonar - Aurangabad - Ajanta - Ellora - Pune

Had been to Shirdi couple of years back. During the vacation, was able to extend it by a day. As a result could visit Ellora, Aurangabad, Verul and Grishneshwar. Made a nice holiday. We chose to break at Belgaum Sankam instead of Pune.

Ajanta and Lonar still not off the list though!

But yes, the place looks very dry. When we visited it was mid year and was quite green, thanks to some rains.
My updates then: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post3379050 (Impromptu visit to Shirdi - The abode of Shree Saibaba)

As detailed as ever Suhas!

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2018 at 07:32.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 07:55   #32
BHPian

re: Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Nanded - Lonar - Aurangabad - Ajanta - Ellora - Pune

Brilliant travelogue, as always!

What I always like is the last part: Epilogue. We get all related information and TBHP threads right there.

Many thanks for sharing.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 08:02   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally the travelogue is up Suhas!

You managed to be a tourist at every place you passed and that reflects the wanderlust in you.

I would say you did it just in time before peak summer kicked in else this belt is mighty hot and that itself may have hampered a typical vacation.

You have quite nicely managed to cover most POIs in Aurangabad and Pune too. In fact, each time I visit Aurangabad, my folks here reveal just another place. So the last one was Paanchakki in Dec after which I was quite impressed and suggested prasanna_indaje who liked the concept too. In fact, the last trip was mostly a foodie trip where each one of my family member loved the variety of cuisine (from Regular to Fast food to Deserts) that Aurangabad had to offer us and needless to say, a very pocket friendly experience.

In General, there are good number of such places that are slowly becoming tourist attractions and no wonder Aurangabad as a city alone due to Ajanta and Ellora and a lot of Industries has a huge concentration of upmarket hotels.

On Pune, I loved the fact that you visited the Old Pune Area, something that we always did (and still do) during our School holidays. There is always a charm associated with the old city areas of any city you visit.

Thanks for yet another write-up and sharing your experience.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 11:44   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Nanded - Lonar - Aurangabad - Ajanta - Ellora - Pune

Awesome one Suhas. Nicely written. The narratives and the photos gel superbly well and it is like being there in real.

Like the way you cover a lot of ground via intelligent planning without being hurried in any way.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 12:02   #35
BHPian

Re: Day 6 - Aurangabad - Pune Ctd

Amazing travelogue .

Rated 5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Pune Sightseeing ctd

National War Memorial

The memorial has few gallery mentioning about war history of area under command of Southern command.

Also, it has a collection of arms, howitzers, tanks, armoured carriers & medals.
I have crossed this war memorial so many times in past 6 years, but I was not aware that there are so many tanks & ammunition on display. I must take out some time to visit this memorial.
VaibhaoT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 15:41   #36
BHPian

Re: Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Nanded - Lonar - Aurangabad - Ajanta - Ellora - Pune

Good write up Wanderlust. I am sure visiting all the caves would have drained energy out of you on the day. However, you planned your journey well so that it doesn't affect your driving.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 16:42   #37
BHPian

As always, very well documented, detailed travelogue mpksuhas. Informative and useful for those who are planning a trip to these places.

Last November we had been to places around Pune, Aurangabad, Nasik and Mumbai in an SX4. Missed covering Ajanta, Lonar and Tadoba in that trip. As you said must plan again to these places soon after rainy season.

Sharing couple of pictures (Ellora - cave 16) from our trip:

Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Nanded - Lonar - Aurangabad - Ajanta - Ellora - Pune-img_6082a.jpg

Wanderlust Traveler: Bangalore - Nanded - Lonar - Aurangabad - Ajanta - Ellora - Pune-img_5930a.jpg
Nempuguru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 17:45   #38
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue! Beautiful pictures and wonderful narration of entire trip.

As you said, visiting these places post monsoon would be even better experience. Looks quite dry and brown during these days.
yogesh.8984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 18:21   #39
BHPian

Thanks for such a wonderful write up. I really liked the way that you have explained even the minute details of your trip.
I have been waiting for your travelogue, because even me and my friend (along with our families) wants to do a similar trip later this year. Your thread will definitely be our 'guide' for planning the trip!
Even we want to do a 'relaxed' trip instead of rushing through the places. So, your plan/schedule perfectly (almost) fits to ours.
In case I need any more details, probably i will contact you in person.
Thanks again for sharing.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 18:31   #40
BHPian

Superb and a very detailed write-up, Suhas.
The Ajanta-Ellora-Aurangabad-Daulatabad combined with Pitalkhora caves trip is something that I still remember as a child.. I just do not wish to do that again due to the sheer temperatures all year round now.
Maybe just after monsoons would be good; but then my better half does not like the idea of caves on a vacation Beaches and Hill stations preferred and secretly I do too...

The roads do get worse in the fringe areas of Maharashtra - barring a few newly laid roads. I loved driving on the Pune - Mysore - Ooty stretches and those were some of the finest roads I've driven so far.
Road work in Maharashtra is extremely slow - the Pune-Satara stretches have so many diversions and its been so many years already.. I guess, by now, we're used to driving on only the service roads

I'll bookmark this awesome travelogue for a trip I will need to take with my kid as the Ajanta and Ellora caves come into his syllabus...
Happy tripping.

Last edited by adneeraj : 18th April 2018 at 18:42. Reason: added a few details on my vacation preferences.
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 18:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Vow. That was one exhausting trip that you had

And an exhaustive travelogue too. You seemed to have covered each step you took in this log. Awesome
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 23:23   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Back in Bombay, we actually didn't have a girl living next door, so I went down a couple of floors.
Looks like you were waiting for a reason

Qayamat Se Qayamat tak was a mega movie of that time, never knew about the ad campaign you mentioned though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ajanta and Lonar still not off the list though!

But yes, the place looks very dry. When we visited it was mid year and was quite green, thanks to some rains
Thanks.

Yes, few cave pictures which were taken during rains look beautiful. Waterfalls at both Ajanta & Ellora looks great during rainy season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
What I always like is the last part: Epilogue. We get all related information and TBHP threads right there.
I usually save links to major updates or travelogues of places I am interested to visit in a word document.
Since we have lots of threads on TBHP, it becomes sometime difficult to consolidate all data, I hope the epilogue makes it easy for future travellers to find data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You have quite nicely managed to cover most POIs in Aurangabad and Pune too.
Thanks for your suggestion on POI's in Aurangabad, it was easier to sort out the plan after the same.

As I mentioned earlier, we were not able to visit Tara Pan center. Also, had seen reviews online about Salim Ali lake, this was near to our hotel and saw the place from road while in taxi. Felt it was just a small lake, hence dropped the plan.

Quote:
On Pune, I loved the fact that you visited the Old Pune Area, something that we always did (and still do) during our School holidays. There is always a charm associated with the old city areas of any city you visit.
True, Old Pune for that matter looks very Mumbaish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Like the way you cover a lot of ground via intelligent planning without being hurried in any way.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
I must take out some time to visit this memorial.
Thanks.

Happens, we usually visit the nearest place last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Good write up Wanderlust. I am sure visiting all the caves would have drained energy out of you on the day.
Thanks. Yes, it was hot, but then visiting caves as such is not that tiring, there is walking around involved. However, you are most times inside the cave, which is cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post
As you said, visiting these places post monsoon would be even better experience. Looks quite dry and brown during these days.
Thanks. Yes, I guess around Aug will be good time to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
In case I need any more details, probably i will contact you in person.
Thanks.
Sure, do let know if you require any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Road work in Maharashtra is extremely slow - the Pune-Satara stretches have so many diversions and its been so many years already.. I guess, by now, we're used to driving on only the service roads
Yes, few days back read a news of truck accident claiming many lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Vow. That was one exhausting trip that you had
Trips are never exhaustive.

Drive to office or a shopping mall is exhaustive though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Missed covering Ajanta, Lonar and Tadoba in that trip. As you said must plan again to these places soon after rainy season.
Yes, Tadoba for me too is pending.

Thanks for the pics of cave 16. I was bit scared to climb all the way to the hill to get that pic, I captured a pic from side and returned.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 18th April 2018 at 23:27.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 15:20   #43
BHPian

Re: Epilogue

Quote:
Epilogue

[*]Total KM's - 2690[*]All toll payments on NHAI apart from two - Hubbli bypass and second toll north of Hyderabad (forgot the name) was through Fastag. Hyderabad ring road (non NHAI) doesn't accept Fastag.[*] MH SH tolls are free for cars. Only heavy vehicles need to pay toll. [*] Pune - Satara section is still work in progress. However, there is slight improvement compared to last year. [*] Ideal time for this trip would have been soon after rain, caves with lush green surroundings would have been great. Also, the same season is best to visit places around Pune.[*] None of the caves are disabled friendly. Though there are ramps for wheelchair access at few caves in Ellora, it is unusable. Those with knee ailments too will find it tough.[*] Always get ticket from ASI website to avoid rush. Link[*] Tickets can be downloaded as PDF and just displaying QR code of the ticket on your mobile screen is enough. Authentication is done by scanning QR code from a mobile device present with ticket collector. This is the same procedure for tickets purchased over counter too.[*] You need to select date of visit while purchasing online ticket. To save you from any instance where you are unable to visit the monument after purchase of ticket, validity is kept for two days.[*] Both caves and Daulatabad fort involves lot of walking, we were always carrying at least 2 liters of water mixed with Gatorade apart from juice tetra packs to avoid dehydration. [*] Daulatabad fort has few crazy monkeys which will grab any food items you are carrying.[*] Though traffic is bad, Pune roads are better than that of Bangalore.[*] Wear footwear which is easy to take off and wear multiple times while visiting caves. Many caves require you to take off footwear.
WoW!!! WoW!!! WoW!!!

Long Long Travelogue. You have knack of capturing of all small things in detail (Even about the footwear). Your final info gives the idea about how much data you have on many things. Wonderful. Thank you. The days and timings at each place for visit, directions everything is taken care. You are almost a guide for each place. The effort you had taken to create this travelogue is highly appreciable. Helpful to many many people.
pradeepnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 23:50   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepnair View Post
Helpful to many many people.
Thanks Pradeep.

I usually keep a tab of route details and travelogues I come across of any location that I am interested in. While travel date is confirmed, I usually go through these and also from other forums (mainly tripadvisor) to get firsthand updated information.

I put all these details in last post in all my travelogues, so those who don't have OCD can also get all required information.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 22:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pradeep.

I usually keep a tab of route details and travelogues I come across of any location that I am interested in. While travel date is confirmed, I usually go through these and also from other forums (mainly tripadvisor) to get firsthand updated information.

I put all these details in last post in all my travelogues, so those who don't have OCD can also get all required information.
That's real "planning" and helps many people. I do also check "tripadvisor" while planning for a trip.
pradeepnair is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks