Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2018, 07:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India

Amazing pictures and narration. Been driving down from Bangalore to Marthandam at least once a year for as far as I can remember. In fact driving down again this week and your travelogue just whet my appetite.
Old 29th April 2018, 11:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful pictures and great narration! Thanks for sharing; its like those nice desserts which are served at the quantity which is just right. This is good old way of travel to experience and not just to see, click and forget!
Old 30th April 2018, 04:44   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Thank you for sharing Bens. The mood of the pic is so captivating..fallen leaves, moist tarmac. what more does one need to push on
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
^^ Lovely captures again! There is no getting around the monsoon rains in the tropics, specially in Kerala, God's own country! - there is something evocative and surreal about them. Like that great shot from benbsb29.
Glad you guys liked that pic.

@Shashanka, that pic was actually shot in Australia, just in case you didnt know. However, the weather conditions remaining the same, the effect is the same surreal feeling of joy and adventure.

Speaking of which, this is one i clicked back in 2012 when we were driving down from Bangalore to Kerala. This was somewhere along the Tamil Nadu border, before we leave the plains in TN and begin the ascent towards Kerala.

Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-scorp.jpg
benbsb29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 08:22   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
.....@Shashanka, that pic was actually shot in Australia, just in case you didnt know. However, the weather conditions remaining the same, the effect is the same surreal feeling of joy and adventure.
Speaking of which, this is one i clicked back in 2012 when we were driving down from Bangalore to Kerala. This was somewhere along the Tamil Nadu border, before we leave the plains in TN and begin the ascent towards Kerala....
This one is a great capture too. And yes, I had noticed that the earlier one was shot down under! My visits & memories of the country are very pleasant too - the taste buds still linger over the heavenly grilled jew fish we had in Darwin! I asked our local agent (who had taken us to this sea-food eaterie) why this grossly, politically incorrect name on the menu - his answer was a sheepish grin and a mumble about it being hard to change an old menu!

I also remember our drive from Mumbai to Madikeri in Coorg. There was a patch (about 70 km) where we had to leave NH17 near the border and cross over to Kerala. We found ourselves driving through a densely forested stretch with the trees forming a canopy overhead and we wouldn't see the sky for kms at a stretch. This short drive was - for me - as near Magonia as any of our drives through the Kumaon hills. Subsequently we crossed back into Coorg, Karnataka and on to Madikeri.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th April 2018 at 08:52. Reason: Added subsequent content from following post, to remove duplicate content.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 08:38   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This one is a great capture too. And yes, I had noticed that the earlier one was shot down under! My visits & memories of the country are very pleasant too - the taste buds still linger over the heavenly grilled jew fish we had in Darwin! I asked our local agent (who had taken us to this sea-food eaterie) why this grossly, politically incorrect name on the menu - his answer was a sheepish grin and a mumble about it being hard to change an old menu!
That's great to hear. One of the best things about travel is the ability to explore new cuisines.
Old 1st May 2018, 23:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Sundarapandiapuram during cultivation season. SOme scenes reminds of Ilayaraja songs
Wow, It's been quite a long time since I've actually read a travelogue (or should I say photologue). I was going to say Illayaraja and you wrote that down
Thanks a lot for the beautiful pics!
No matter whatever we write about how the roads got crowded, trees being cut down to widen the roads, such pictures bring back nostalgic moments and longing to get back on the road in search of such roads.
I particularly like those leisurely roads that are less travelled and wind through the fields and under the canopies.
Thank you once again and happy writing and driving.
Old 9th May 2018, 13:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Enchating Mekkarai in July, when the clouds roll down almost to touch you.
Thanks Mysticeyes... you truly have special eyes - Eyes for photography and the creative mind and fingers for captions as well as commentary. Truly enjoyed the photos. I specially liked the photo with the caption mentioned above. It was like an avalanche of clouds waiting to embrace you - very refreshing.

Quote:
Theater of nature

It's an art, to observe how the barren land is turned into green-treasure over days. In the end, you've endless stretches of vegetables/plantain/ paddy
Truly, it is an art which our farmers are doing again and again. In Palakkad, the rice bowl of Kerala, where the dry lands are prepared from the month of April and the transformation you could see in the month of June when monsoon starts, its just truly amazing. The brown bed becomes ...... a Green Bed.

No matter what, Nature always makes us refreshing one way or other.
pradeepnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 17:20   #23
BHPian

Beautiful narration with some excellent captures . Southern India has lots to explore. Monsoon brings out the real essence of the region. Your scoda must have been a hoot drive on the curves of Kerala. Keep traveling and sharing such wonderful experiences.
Old 29th July 2018, 09:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Lovely captures again! There is no getting around the monsoon rains in the tropics, specially in Kerala, God's own country! - there is something evocative and surreal about them. Like that great shot from benbsb29.
This year, it has been amazing, rain rain rain, though excessive in some parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, the route from Parvathipuram to Aralvaimozhi is a scenic stretch, especially when it rains. Here are couple of pics which I took three years back.
Linea + Windmills + Clouds + Mountains + Rain - must be one immense experience to drive in that stretch. Envious

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
In fact driving down again this week and your travelogue just whet my appetite.

Hope you had the run then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This is good old way of travel to experience and not just to see, click and forget!
Sir, really honoured by the words. I hope, you've seen the movie 'Charlie', which is more like - experiencing places & people

Quote:
This was somewhere along the Tamil Nadu border, before we leave the plains in TN and begin the ascent towards Kerala
Awesome ambiance. Is it on the Munnar - Tamil Nadu stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepnair View Post
The brown bed becomes ...... a Green Bed. No matter what, Nature always makes us refreshing one way or other.
True, the Energizer bunny for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Southern India has lots to explore. Your scoda must have been a hoot drive on the curves of Kerala.
You should definitely visit down here. Badly miss the Hydraulic Steering from my erstwhile Fabia though the present setup in Rapid is beautiful. Fabia was so immersive with its HPS in this mix of straight highways + twists & turns. I had a City CVT for some time and had couple of runs through the same stretch, but as you know, the lack of 'involvement' of Honda is beyond words Present Rapid DSG + Facelifted Ecosport AT has got back the smiles again, but to be greedy, I want the HPS back

Those mountains & windmills had always allured as sunrise & sunset points. Numerous trips made through the route left behind one wish - to have a train pass by underneath the windmill and for years, the wish remained a wish. Ticking away the time on an idle day, watching clouds roll over along with the music of incessant wind, a brief lull in the wind was enough to let the distant horn to reach us. Could it be our wish coming through? Dismissing it as probably the horn of a truck passing through the Highway further down, we continued to wish and yet again, through another brief lull in wind, the horn became more audible to confirm that it was indeed a loco-horn, as it slowly emerged from the curve..a wish granted..

Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-20180714_091431_hdr.jpg

Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-dsc_023401.jpeg

Getting ready for the season. Alwarkurichi near Ambasamudram. It's amazing to see how the people work on their land inch by inch setting up for the planting of paddy sapplings in 2nd week of August. Brown now, Emerald sea by in under 15 days time. Reminds of the perfection of hand-made Rolls-Royce.

Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-20180721_115444_hdr.jpg

Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-20180721_115726_hdr.jpg

Each journey throws a new light to the world around you. like the rains freshing up the earth, memories freshen you up

Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-dsc_028401.jpeg

Those moments, that fills your heart with joy, as man & machine becomes one under earth & sky. You can feel the machine converse with you..

Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-dsc_03500101.jpeg

Take a glance back..the path your heart told you to take would bring smile to you

Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-dsc_0012.jpg
Mysticeyes is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 05:09   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Awesome ambiance. Is it on the Munnar - Tamil Nadu stretch?
I've been trying to remember the exact stretch, but for some reason i'm unable to recall. :(

Quote:
Those mountains & windmills had always allured as sunrise & sunset points. Numerous trips made through the route left behind one wish - to have a train pass by underneath the windmill and for years, the wish remained a wish. Ticking away the time on an idle day, watching clouds roll over along with the music of incessant wind, a brief lull in the wind was enough to let the distant horn to reach us. Could it be our wish coming through? Dismissing it as probably the horn of a truck passing through the Highway further down, we continued to wish and yet again, through another brief lull in wind, the horn became more audible to confirm that it was indeed a loco-horn, as it slowly emerged from the curve..a wish granted..
Beautiful capture, and great timing.
I can see how you too find joy in such simple things.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 14:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I can see how you too find joy in such simple things.

At times, those minute minutes can light up humans

The neuro-muscular issues had curtailed the trips and in the rare escapades in-between, I was lucky enough to come across some lovely moments:

Freedom.. break the shackles
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-dsc_8404.jpg

Energy booster - such sights can drive up one's energy as we watch solar & wind energies converge
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-1.jpg

The serenity that shades the might– those green shades propel you more to embark on journeys, overcoming physical limitations
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-2.jpg

Longed for sun, lived through rain.. It was an experience, watching the clouds slowly build-up in the horizon and advancing towards us. The sun refused to fade out fully, pushing out all it's energy to create the golden light. In the end, persistence of the clouds prevailed, treating us to view of magnificent downpour.
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-42684610_2166894280022274_8899592293703483392_n.jpg

Humans may put fences, but nature can carry to us, the distant stories from beyond the mountains through wind & clouds..
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-69146764_2690614924316871_2592051666949767168_n.jpg

Earthy autographs on the hands those turns the wheels of life..
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-70223539_2728332863878410_4079684199181713408_n.jpg

Mazes - the perfections in imperfections
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-70281935_2737815969596766_2766150305186840576_n.jpg

Sunset stories.. like a genie from the uncorked bottle, the setting sun and clouds unfurl yet another story in the scenic NH 44.
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-dsc_8134.jpg

Sky would always remain the master story-teller through the myriads of colors & moods..
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-dsc_0074.jpg

Homecoming – one of the most beautiful moments is when you get back to your loved ones especially after a solo journey. Smiles on faces, stories to be told, experiences to be shared, tug of hearts – moments of pure joy. Ever wondered how the Sun sets on its solo journey every morning, waking up the earth in golden-hour? As the sun starts it journey, it lights up each element one-by-one in the varying light & shades. Doesn’t the earth, long for the moment when sun would get back near again? Sun does get back completing a journey, bathing earth in its peaceful hues. Those hues create a grand canvas of multitude layers to etch the stories, be introspective & contemplative in the same moment.

As a person, you can see yourself as that windmill – standing tall, assured, graceful, and purposeful. As the sun sets deeper, it radiates the glow inside you too..
Soul of a Solivagant: Rain, roads, sky, fields & people down South India-dsc_4244.jpg
Mysticeyes is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks