Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2018, 14:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Kabini: A Trilogy of Hits and Misses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
It is truly a pleasure to see such beautiful pictures. What amazing shots and I personally love some of the pictures with the twist.
Thank you for your feedback! I'm humbled by your words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Amazing pictures and fantastic write up.
Thank you Naveen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy3008 View Post
I have some questions for you:
1. How is a safari arranged on your own different than the one arranged by Toehold ? What difference does it create in terms of safari experience and wildlife photography ?
2. I have a small bean bag to hold the lens steady on the jeep / gypsy while on a safari. What do you use?
1. There is very little difference when it comes to the ones arranged by Toehold v/s the ones arranged by JLR. Granted that you may be pooled in with other folks with similar interests like wildlife and photography. Going with Toehold (or basically with any group of people who are carrying big lenses - which are quite a few at Kabini!) means that the driver understands the need for good pictures and this implies that he's a good photographer himself / understands the requirements of photography like proper lighting, shadows, proper alignment to the subject etc. It could also mean that you wont get dumped into a Canter with shouting kids and you will get a proper Jeep Safari. The other drivers may not understand such subtleties and may just be doing their jobs as naturalists and drivers. However, one cannot guarantee sightings; irrespective of whether you are in a photography group or on your own - it's pure luck.

2. I use a similar bean bag filled with rice - I keep it on the guard railings when I sit on the back seat, and on the bar above the windshield when I occupy the seat next to the driver. However, it may not be fully useful at times when the subjects are darting across quickly. It shines when you have a stationary subject and you have all the time in the world to properly compose your shot and click rock-steady pictures.
vsathyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 14:36   #17
BHPian

Wow amazing pictures and superb write up. I must admit that you were really lucky enough to spot the two wild cats. I mean its always a matter of chance with these safaris.
Old 30th May 2018, 15:18   #18
BHPian

@vsathyap: You got some serious photography skills brother. Please keep sharing your talent with the world. If you have a website where you post regularly, please share.

I have been to Kabini but only saw a leopard. I think another visit is on the cards. You've definitely inspired my to go again!
Old 30th May 2018, 16:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
The other things:
  1. Camera: Nikon D7100; Lens: 200-500 f/5.6 - This has (somewhat) become my pet lens! A better combination would be the Nikon D500 with it's amazingly fast focusing system, superb low light sensitivity and an unparalleled infinite buffer on faster XQD cards.
  2. Images have been captured in RAW and processed using Lightroom and Define.
Great write up and wonderful pictures. Yes, a D500 is a must with 200-500 and it is a special combo when you want to scale up. You did not have D500, but managed Kabini, I have D500+200-500, but have not yet been to Kabini

Just as a tip, keep looking for a used D500 in JJMehta forum and I picked one up a couple of months back for a 30% less from the market price. You can pursue that path for a super camera as Photographers too are biten by upgrade syndrome often. (there is one advert now for a D500 - negotiate hard !) Good Luck.

Swami
Old 30th May 2018, 18:20   #20
BHPian

The images of the elephants in rain is among the most creative use of high ISO I have ever seen. The lights of the safari vehicle in mist is another brilliant image.
Olympal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 10:22   #21
BHPian

Finally I get to see the photos! Excellent writeups and great images, Vishwas. It was a pleasure meeting you at Kabini. Hope we meet each other more often in the wild

Regarding that lens hood falling off, we seem to be sharing similar experiences across different visits! You can read more about my experience in this Kabini thread. I had to leave it overnight in the forest and gave it up for lost, before another driver returned it to me the next day.
Old 4th June 2018, 20:41   #22
BHPian

Very well written and beautiful pics. Thanks for the details
Old 6th June 2018, 11:21   #23
BHPian

Amazing snaps vsathyap.You were real lucky to capture leopard and a tiger in one safari.One help,I have always wanted to visit Kabini but found accommodations there to be way too expensive.Can you suggest some hotels/lodges/cottages which are a bit economical?
Old 6th June 2018, 20:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankoor View Post
Wow amazing pictures and superb write up. I must admit that you were really lucky enough to spot the two wild cats. I mean its always a matter of chance with these safaris.
Thanks! Yup - it's all a matter of luck with these safaris and the more number of days you stay there, more chances you get to spot the wild cats. However, the place is quite expensive and anything beyond a day here seems quite impractical - economically speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
@vsathyap: You got some serious photography skills brother. Please keep sharing your talent with the world. If you have a website where you post regularly, please share.

I have been to Kabini but only saw a leopard. I think another visit is on the cards. You've definitely inspired my to go again!
Thank you for your kind words! I do not have any website / blog - Team BHP's travelogue section is my playground. In case you are interested, do go through my Ladakh Photography TL I have linked in my earlier posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
....Just as a tip, keep looking for a used D500 in JJMehta forum and I picked one up a couple of months back for a 30% less from the market price. You can pursue that path for a super camera as Photographers too are biten by upgrade syndrome often. (there is one advert now for a D500 - negotiate hard !) Good Luck....
Absolutely - the 200-500 is a fantastic lens, specially on bodies like the D500. However, since I am into all this only as a hobby, I don't see much practicality in purchasing the lens or a D500 for that matter. I would like to push my D7100 to the limits before I invest in any other new equipment. Until then, I will go for rentals and use the money saved in more trips to Kabini or even other places like Pench, Tadoba or Ranthambore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
The images of the elephants in rain is among the most creative use of high ISO I have ever seen. The lights of the safari vehicle in mist is another brilliant image.
Thank you - I must say that these pictures happened when I least expected them (or the output they gave). I only wonder what the results would have been if I had my wide angle lens to capture that foggy morning on my SLR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Hoping to bump into you at another Safari... and keep me posted on what you did to keep the hood in place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrats View Post
Very well written and beautiful pics. Thanks for the details
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead666 View Post
...One help,I have always wanted to visit Kabini but found accommodations there to be way too expensive.Can you suggest some hotels/lodges/cottages which are a bit economical?...
There are quite a few resorts in Kabini but none of them offer the "safari experience" as JLR does. If you are on a tight budget, I'd suggest that you travel to HD Kote or the handpost area and spend a night there. Get up early and head either to the Damankatte gate or the Veerannahosalli Gate. From there you can get on Safari "buses" and go on 1 hour long Safaris - if you are lucky and if they haven't been sold out already. However, all this is like taking a chance after traveling so far and for a sub-par safari experience. Hence, JLR! Even though they have steep prices and a crazy "lens" fee, its all worth it if you get to spot any big cats!
Old 6th June 2018, 23:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up with amazing Photographs. Enjoyed every bit of it. Thanks for Sharing.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 6th June 2018 at 23:15.
Old 7th June 2018, 09:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Safari #2

This was it! The one last chance to capture the black leopard! Would I get lucky?
I did Since you have referred to the elusive black panther, thought of sharing a lucky shot I got during a safari in the Dammankatte zone in May 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Kabini: A Trilogy of Hits and Misses-img_1233.jpg  

Most Viewed