Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2018, 02:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs

Great Travelogue as usual and brilliant pictures !! One can easily picture themselves to be there in person.

We are seriously contemplating shifting to Gurgaon for a year or two so that we can cover this stretch and the western part of the country. However am very very skeptical about taking our latest acquisition to Ladakh and Spiti, am sure you understand why. Let's see, plans are being cooked up for a more appropriate ride to be added to cover such circuits.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 07:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Travelogue. Thanks for the excellent photographs as well. Spiti Valley is still on my to do list. Your travelogue is now tempting me to go for it as soon as possible.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 07:40   #33
BHPian

Great photography from Samba as usual. This is the benchmark at Team-BHP and constantly raising level. Truly, can't say much in words.
I would have loved to meet you in person in Delhi. I live next to predatorwheelz.
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 09:22   #34
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue and brilliant photographs. Spiti has always been so fascinating !

During my motorcycling trip to Spiti in 2015, I had to skip Tashigang and Pin Valley due to time constraints sadly. But now, I am already planning my next Spiti trip in September this year. This time I hope to cover the Pin Valley, Gete - Tashigang sector and maybe also do the Kanamo Peak trek.

Sad that you had to miss Chandratal though. But then there is always a next time.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 15:23   #35
BHPian

Simply awesome Samba Da and team. Fantastic pictures and informative writing. Planned for many times for similar route but did not get a chance to pay visit. Thanks for sharing.
PointZero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 16:49   #36
Team-BHP Support

Nice travelogue, we were also on a similar route a week later but it was a more demanding pace. You'll see it up soon!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 20:51   #37
BHPian

That was fast, fun and fantastic!

Captivating narration and mind blowing pics. Made for a wonderful read and made me think I shouldn't have taken the Lucknow exit.
mi2n is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 23:54   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & suv's

Thanks a ton everyone for the appreciation's. Means a lot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

From Langza our next destination was Hikkim. Hikkim has the world's highest post office at an altitude of 14,567 feet. Here we all took the privilege of writing a letter to our residence from the worlds highest post office. Hope to receive the post cards soon. This can be kept as a token.
Feeling happy to receive the letter yesterday!
Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-img_8665.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
You mentioned the diesel cars suffered from turbo lag. Were they emitting black smoke due to rarefied air??
Not really, the turbo was kicking-in a bit late and cars were lacking power till the turbo kicked in. The clogged air-filters can be the culprit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Awesome pictures Samba. It will be great if you can share all hotels name
where u stayed during trip - will follow the itinerary for Spiti trip.
Thanks for sharing.
Fagu - Hptdc
Kalpa - Hptdc
Tabo - Tow Dhey Hotel
Kaza - Spiti Valley
Manali - Ride Inn

All the hotels were up-to the mark and can be easily recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
@Samba

My boss happened to be in the same hotel at Kaza with you guys. He met & had some chat with you guys as well. He is a bong and from Hyderabad. He was carrying a camcorder.
I just told him, you met with this red group, dint you? Instantly he told yes, these two SUVs were leading the group!!

I heard you guys had a tough time with food at Kaza Hotel.. Never mind, travelling taught us a lot!
I can recall whom you are talking about! Please convey my regards to him as a fellow traveler!

Actually we stayed on that hotel for 3 nights. For the first day they provided us non-veg and on the very next day they gave veg food to a strictly non-veg group! So we asked them to get us something in non-veg and Mr Jamican who was taking care of us was a very friendly man. He immediately took care of it. No complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
One quick question though, did you change your tyres before this trip or what is the acceptable age of the tyres for the kind of terrains you encountered during your trip?

Cheers!
I traveled with my 40,000 km, 3 years old Yokohama Earth1. Before the trip you must ensure the tyres have healthy treads & there are no cuts or bulges. Its not necessary to go for new tyres. My tyres still had good grip and treads, so i continued with it and the tyres really held up well. Not even a single puncture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Quick question: How is the stretch from Kunzum Pass to Manali? Some description will be beneficial (if you have already answered it the complete thread, please ignore answering my question)
You can check out this post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4410545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
I would have loved to meet you in person in Delhi. I live next to predatorwheelz.
Ah, i didn't knew that! Will buzz you for sure when am at Delhi next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Nice travelogue, we were also on a similar route a week later but it was a more demanding pace. You'll see it up soon!
Thanks, great to know that. Will eagerly wait to read your travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
and made me think I shouldn't have taken the Lucknow exit.
Waiting for your travelogue! Lets plan a trip together!

Took this screenshot from one of the video clippings shot by wifey at Kunzum top!
Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-img_7082.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 9th June 2018 at 00:15.
Samba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 10:04   #39

Awesome Narration with profound content sharing for anyone who hasn’t been there before.

Did you get the chance to do Bawa pass beyond Pin Valley?
hikersoul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 11:18   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Another superb travelogue with great pics.

A long vacation with big group materializing itself is an achievement.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 00:11   #41
BHPian

Chal Chal Himachal Again: Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchback, sedan and SUV

This time I am relieved out of writing the Travelogue as our Primary Blogger is back in the team and that’s why my contribution will be an addition to an already complete and successful TL.

For 4 Familes with kids this is a continuation to our earlier Himachal Pradesh trip of 2016 Pujas where we have covered Kinnaur.

The story of that trip is also engrossing and you can find it in the below link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-cuv-thar.html

Although this time we are a bigger group with 15 adults and 5 kids but selection of time for the Trip is still guided by the summer holidays of the kids. At the same time we also wanted to touch some snow and test our capabilities with our beloved steeds.

Team introduction and itinerary is obviously not necessary after a TL is already live for few days, hence let’s start with a map of our route. It is from Kalpa to Manali covering almost all the routes we have travelled in Spiti.

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-spiti-map.jpg

Few teaser pic and video from my side of the trip-

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8448-2048x1356.jpg

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8463-1356x2048.jpg

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8628-2048x1356.jpg

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8759-2048x1356.jpg

With this I start sharing my part of the Picture stories.
SouraC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 00:53   #42
BHPian

As writing my part of the story again can clutter the overall Travelogue, I am creating a Photologue for everyone to enjoy without much of reading, Still I will be adding some while sharing the below pictures and videos

I will try and stick to the flow of our journey:

Our Stay at Fagu was HPTDC Apple Blossom

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8403-2048x1162.jpg

First view of Snow Peaks

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8408-2048x1356.jpg

Colorful Tree at NH5

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8416-2048x1356.jpg

Enjoy the panoramic view of green Himachal

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8418-pan-3072x1314.jpg

Lineup at the Bridge

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8423-2048x1356.jpg

A Drive to Enjoy

Up Close. Here we come

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8425-2048x1356.jpg

Shaded road of Himachal

Majestic View of Kinnaur Kailash

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8430-2048x904.jpg

Night Photography should be always tried in Himachal but this time Kalpa was the only place where we have seriously tried it.

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8448-2048x1356.jpg

A 20 min Star Trail

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8454a-2048x1356.jpg

Coming down from Kalpa, feels bad and you start missing the Kailash instantly

Drive by the Mighty Sutlej

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8463-1356x2048.jpg

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8465-1356x2048.jpg

Too Big too Small

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8467-1356x2048.jpg

Snow peaks Playing Hide & Seek with us

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8469-2048x1356.jpg

Crossing a Cable Suspension Bridge with wooden block, enjoy the sound

The Nako Lake, beautiful but development around the lake is killing the Natural Beauty

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8472-2048x1214.jpg

After visiting Nako Lake we got an information that The Gue Monastery gets closed by 5pm, hence a forced spirited drive to reach in time.

After reaching we came to know that in summers they keep it open till 8pm. Of course we missed a slow drive to enjoy the beauty around

The Mummy Monk

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8478-1251x2048.jpg

He currently lives in the small white room, soon to be transferred to his newly made Palace.

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8481-2048x1356.jpg

Steeds resting for a while as day end is still a bit far at Tabo

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8482-2048x1114.jpg

We left Sutlej a long time back and for next few days beauty of river will be portrayed by Spiti river

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8487-2048x1356.jpg

An unscheduled stop before the days end, which Came soon.

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8493-2048x1350.jpg

We reached Tabo before dark and was forced to stay in two different hotels at least 2 kms apart. We never knew this will become our fate for next few days.
SouraC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 01:31   #43
BHPian

Next Day started with a quick visit to Tabo Monastery & I must admit is the most diverse looking Monastery I have ever visited in my life.

It is a must for everyone who visits Spiti as it offers around 1000 years old Mud made Monastery with hand painted interiors , sadly photography is not allowed.

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8495-2048x1356.jpg

After visiting we started our day, target Dhankar and Pin Valley before reaching Kaza.

Now the Snow Peaks are unable to hide from us

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8499-2048x1134.jpg

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8503-2048x1356.jpg

A Panorama of Spiti river from Dhankar Monastery, you can see the road towards Pin Valley

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8513-pan-3072x1354.jpg

A view of New Dhankar Monastery

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8517-2048x1356.jpg

Moonland welcomed us soon after we came back towards Kaza

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8526-2048x1328.jpg

A Panorama

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8530-pan-3072x771.jpg

Soon we crossed river spiti to proceed towards Mud Village, Pin Valley

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8556-2048x1356.jpg

Roads are bad, but we knew it even before we started planning for Spiti, so Enjoy.

A patented Pin Valley view from Mud Village

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8558-2048x1356.jpg

Find the road to this place if you can

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8562-2048x1356.jpg

Nature at its best

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8572-2048x1356.jpg

Enjoy the vastness of Pin Valley

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8576-pan-3072x817.jpg

A day end Photo-shoot to praise our Chariots

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8589-2048x1356.jpg

Reached Kaza with lot of daylight left but the news of getting 8 rooms in 3 different Hotels made us Mad.

Now that is life where we always try to adjust just to get the bigger picture going, hence Manage.

We completed our dinner early and called it a day.
SouraC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 02:16   #44
BHPian

Next day started with Show-off, a World Highest.

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8591-2048x1356.jpg

Kids with our Spiti Drive uniform

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8599-2048x1273.jpg

View from Key Monastery

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8600-2048x1356.jpg

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8602-2048x1356.jpg

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8601-1356x2048.jpg

Now that is barren, but look closely you will find Kibber Village in it

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8606-pan-3072x1031.jpg

Snow Peak Photography

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8612-2048x1356.jpg

Reaching Tashigong

Its Tashigong

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8614-pan-3072x1101.jpg

Enjoying wind at Tashigong

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8619-2048x1356.jpg

Beauty is yours to find

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8628-2048x1356.jpg

Swift Photography (Extreme Group-ism)

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8629-2048x1356.jpg

Sedan Hatch Photography (Moderate Group-ism)

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8630-2048x1356.jpg

Now this is a Team

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8633-2048x1356.jpg

Its our time to Show-off our Tees (or Cars)

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8636-2048x1356.jpg

Competitors Together

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8652-2048x1356.jpg

Tashigong is also about Trail driving, there are quite a few & I took all of them easily while coming down in my Swift

Blue Sheep somewhere in wild, found them while doing some trail driving

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8657-2048x1120.jpg

At Kibber gate, we had our stomach full at Kibber before going forward to Asia's Highest Bridge

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8661-2048x1356.jpg

Reaching Chicham Bridge

The Chicham Bridge

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8662-2048x1356.jpg

The Thin Samba Lamba stream on which the Bridge is made

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8666-1356x2048.jpg

The Famous Key Monastery from Far away

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8675-2048x1356.jpg

Key Monastery Up Close

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8676-2048x1356.jpg

World Highest started today but to end the same we have waited for another day to reach another Two of them.
SouraC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 02:40   #45
BHPian

The next day started with couple of Panoramic photos

A Panoramic shot of Kaza

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8679-pan-3072x1058.jpg

A Panorama of Spiti river valley

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8684-pan-3072x1316.jpg

Wildlife

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8689-2048x1356.jpg

Langza

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8692-2048x1356.jpg

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8695-2048x1356.jpg

Scripted Stone

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8696-2048x1356.jpg

Langza Village

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8697-2048x1356.jpg

Road towards Hikkim

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8698-2048x1356.jpg

One Wild Friend (Bugs Bunny ??)

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8703-535x702.jpg

Reaching Hikkim

Reaching World's Highest Post office is a challenge and it could have been easily another 100 ft higher.
You have to visit it to realize it

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8706-2048x1341.jpg

Samewhere before the Worlds Highest Motorable Village

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8711-pan-3072x1030.jpg

Komic Village (Its only 3 mt lower than Kunjom Pass)

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8716-1479x2048.jpg

Watch the angle of the Flags

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8726-1356x2048.jpg

My Steed still going Strong (with around 1.35 L in Odo)

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8735-2048x1356.jpg

Top View of Kaza, Looks great

Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs-dsc_8737-2048x1356.jpg

The day ended early for us as the most challenging (Longest) day of our trip is just a Night away.

We planned for an early start around 6 am just to be sure that we get enough time at Kunjom top and less water in the dreaded water crossings of Kaza Manali Highway ?? (NH 505)
SouraC is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks