Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 17:54   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: To escape in-laws, I became an outlaw and fled to the waiting arms of the 7 sisters…and their co

Funny and entertaining log, filled with dry humour and sarcasm, history lessons (some wrong though, such as the bit about Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw), and a lot of pointers on how not to plan trips.

I'm glad your apprehensions about West Bengal have reduced somewhat after this trip. Your hotel in Kolkata (King's Crown) was next door to my in-laws' place. From your description of how MMI was routing you, I'd guess your map was probably out of date by a decade. In any case, using Google Maps in offline mode is far better today than using MMI Navigator.

Some missing parts of the travelogue:
1. Didn't get to see the damage to your car - it wasn't too bad, was it?
2. How was the reception from the wife once you returned after 3 weeks? and
3. Had the mother-in-law left already by the time you reached back to Pune?

The Ruili River cigarettes you were smoking in the North-East are contraband cigarettes coming across the border from Myanmar. The North-Eastern region acts as the primary conduit for many such brands (e.g. Win, Esse) being smuggled into the country, and these are much cheaper than brands available in India legally.
SS-Traveller is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:31   #47
BHPian

Re: To escape in-laws, I became an outlaw and fled to the waiting arms of the 7 sisters…and their co

I had a really fun time reading your thread! I have one question though, was it not frustrating to drive through West-Bengal?
Laxman9192 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
We should catch up in a meet someday .
Thank you for this travelogue.
Definitely. I look forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Some missing parts of the travelogue:
1. Didn't get to see the damage to your car - it wasn't too bad, was it?
2. How was the reception from the wife once you returned after 3 weeks? and
3. Had the mother-in-law left already by the time you reached back to Pune?
1. Besides the expected wear and tear, fortunately, nothing serious. The folks at my local Nissan dealer did their magic while servicing, presented me with a slightly heftier than normal bill, but overall all was well.
2. LOL! I didnt actually abscond or something. She very well knew where I was going. Besides I was in regular touch with her all days of the expedition. She was happy I returned safe and sound.
3. Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Ruili River cigarettes you were smoking in the North-East are contraband cigarettes coming across the border from Myanmar. The North-Eastern region acts as the primary conduit for many such brands (e.g. Win, Esse) being smuggled into the country, and these are much cheaper than brands available in India legally.
Wow! Contraband! I didn't know this. Never again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxman9192 View Post
I had a really fun time reading your thread! I have one question though, was it not frustrating to drive through West-Bengal?
That would be Assam. Not WB.
Of all the highways and roads I drove on, I found Assam roads the worst.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 14:49   #49

You took an amazing trip, and whats better? You managed to re-create it so well that I can visualize the events without having to move an inch from my place. Thank you, for it is an exquisite travelogue.
I also enjoyed all the extra information shared and the way you linked them with your main narrative. And lastly, I appreciate your eye to see goodness in people, understand and empathize.
Do take more trips and fill up more travelogues!
Marine10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 16:20   #50
BHPian

Hey, mate! This is very descriptive travel log and not once did you lose my attention. The part which stood out for me was the sync the driver and the co-driver had where the co-driver gave inputs to the driver on whether the left side was 'clear' to over-take. Looking forward to read more from you on your future expeditions. Cheers!

Also, just saying, kicking-the-butt is absolutely a brilliant feeling. (I was in two minds in writing this last line but I thought more harm is done in not saying this to you.)
SPB_drives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 16:48   #51
BHPian

Searched for your last post and found that it took you 13 months to finish the last post and finally us mere mortals have an absolute delight and a pleasurable read of over 18 (really long) posts!
Amazing read it was, and I haven't been able to keep my phone down. I was late for my appointments today and had to be in the receiving end of cold stares from my patients. And, I blame you, sir!
Great thread indeed. Wish you cover more and more miles and bless us with even more amazing travelogues.
Thank you!
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 17:17   #52
BHPian

Wow!! what an epic journey!! Congrats !! Really enjoyed reading this splendidly compiled travelogue, thanks for sharing your experience and making it thoroughly enjoyable and riveting read The mix of humour, trivia , little known facts , the photos and narration was perfect
gops2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 02:43   #53
BHPian

Fantastic writeup!! Your writing style definitely has a lot of Sam Kapasi and bears similarity to the 3 legends running the Grand tour! I was glued to my phone last evening reading this thread and I kid you not, when I stepped out, I was stunned that I wasn't in Arunachal! Brilliant piece of writing!
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 12:33   #54
BHPian

Awesome travelogue peppered with anecdotes of Indian history.

I took three sittings to read this log and enjoyed your writing. It will go down as one of the best travelogues written on Team BHP.

rst89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 12:07   #55
BHPian

Thanks guys! I am glad you enjoyed reading it, as much as I enjoyed penning it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine10 View Post
Thank you, for it is an exquisite travelogue.
Do take more trips and fill up more travelogues!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB_drives View Post
Hey, mate! This is very descriptive travel log and not once did you lose my attention. The part which stood out for me was the sync the driver and the co-driver had where the co-driver gave inputs to the driver on whether the left side was 'clear' to over-take. Looking forward to read more from you on your future expeditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Great thread indeed. Wish you cover more and more miles and bless us with even more amazing travelogues.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gops2009 View Post
Wow!! what an epic journey!! Congrats !! Really enjoyed reading this splendidly compiled travelogue, thanks for sharing your experience and making it thoroughly enjoyable and riveting read The mix of humour, trivia , little known facts , the photos and narration was perfect
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
Fantastic writeup!! Your writing style definitely has a lot of Sam Kapasi and bears similarity to the 3 legends running the Grand tour! I was glued to my phone last evening reading this thread and I kid you not, when I stepped out, I was stunned that I wasn't in Arunachal! Brilliant piece of writing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Awesome travelogue peppered with anecdotes of Indian history.

I took three sittings to read this log and enjoyed your writing. It will go down as one of the best travelogues written on Team BHP.

Old 2nd February 2020, 05:10   #56
BHPian

I am out of words, I don't even remember at what time I began reading it and it's 5 am already. What a marvelously written travelogue with all the necessary information and facts provided. More than that, I thoroughly enjoyed the videos and got to know about so many facts which I had no clue about.
RedTerrano, great job buddy! Looking forward to a lot more write ups from you. Cheers!
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:16   #57
Team-BHP Support

Awesome thread. Read it couple of times already. Might drop you a PM, have been planning about a NE trip for over a Year now.

If there’s a vote for “ Thread of the Year Award” this will be the choice by a large margin.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 21:22   #58
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue!! Thanks for writing!!. I also contributed what little I can to AMYAA using the link you provided.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:06   #59
BHPian

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
RedTerrano, great job buddy! Looking forward to a lot more write ups from you. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Fantastic travelogue!! Thanks for writing!!. I also contributed what little I can to AMYAA using the link you provided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Awesome thread. Read it couple of times already. Might drop you a PM, have been planning about a NE trip for over a Year now.

If there’s a vote for “ Thread of the Year Award” this will be the choice by a large margin.
Anytime. I will be more than happy to help in whatever way I can.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:50   #60
BHPian

Rarely do I read through an entire travelogue thread. Skip some parts, just check out the photos, comments and thats it. But yours was one thread that got me totally hooked and I read the entire stuff including watching most of the videos. Could feel your vibes as you guys did this drive . Brought back some wonderful memories of the bangalore-leh drive we (me, wife and kiddo) did in our XUV couple of years back - 21 days on the road.

North east is my next dream drive destination. And your travelogue just makes me want to do it at the earliest.

FundaG

Last edited by fundagenie : 3rd February 2020 at 12:51.
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks