Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2018, 14:02   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

The Royal Flower Exhibition- Punakha

We visited Punakha on 26 Apr 18. I'd say our visit was very well timed that we were fortunate to also witness the Royal Flower Exhibition which coincided on the same date.
The opening ceremony of the exhibition was done by His Majesty The King, His Majesty the Fourth Druk Gyalpo, Her Majesty The Gyaltsuen and members of the Royal Family on April 25.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-img_20180426_164002.jpg
The exhibition this year celebrates Bhutan – India friendship, as the two countries mark 50 years of diplomatic relations.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-img_20180426_155124.jpg

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-dsc_0210.jpg

Spread over 9.75 acres of the Thangzona ground adjacent to Punakha dzong, the installations and there gardens were prepared by government agencies, entrepreneurs and international participants from India and Thailand. The theme gardens developed for the exhibition include some that will remain a permanent feature of Thangzona following the exhibition.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-img_20180426_155303.jpg

The Royal Bhutan Flower Exhibition was initiated upon the Royal Command of His Majesty The King, and is aimed towards fostering an appreciation for beautiful public spaces, bringing together communities through public events, and providing a platform for entrepreneurship in floriculture and horticulture in Bhutan.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-dsc_0225.jpg
Representation from India- Lord Ganesha.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-img_20180426_162332.jpg

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-img_20180426_162406.jpg
Model installation of Punakha Dzong.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-dsc_0218.jpg
Junior Mr D honing his photography skills- and he kindly obliged.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-dsc_0223.jpg
Mrs D also snapped on some unique opportunities.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-dsc_0209.jpg
Ain't she cute!!
dhanushmenon is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 14:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

As we conclude our Bhutan Journey

Mr D is lazy. Period.
I can either lament about it till the cows come home; or chip in my own way to make a little difference. That is how I took to writing after all- an otherwise alien forte for me.
This one has been a long travelogue. One which extended beyond my skills. I empathise with the readers for having had to sit through all my wailing.
As we reach the end of this laborious ordeal, please allow me a little more space to introduce my travel partners in all my escapades:

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-dsc_0132.jpg
Mrs D and Junior.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-dsc_0188.jpg
Mr and Junior D.

I have heard him mutter that ‘Love is divine’. I never understood head or tail of that cluster of words then. However, now I have begun to comprehend what love is, for now, I am in love. Love with the unending roads serpenting to touch horizon on an endless expressway, the spread of greens, the towering mountains, snow-capped or barren edifices, the inviting curves that snakes up the stunning passes, the flakes of snow drifting onto the sheet of white and a black tarmac that slits the spread of snow, the spiky drops of icicles peeking from the tip of pine trees.

Above all, I am now in love with Mr D.
For, despite all my laments and derogative names I call him, he has taken me places. Quite a lot of them, and some; spread across the not so humble lengths and breadths of this country. Well, he is still lazy to put his fingers to the keyboard. I’d rather just gulp that shortcoming! After all, this was almost 9,500 kms for deliverance. 9254 kms to be precise. And a noble target achieved without a powerpoint presentation.

An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan-dsc_037201c.jpg

Keep revving!!

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 8th September 2018 at 14:52.
dhanushmenon is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 20:35   #18
Team-BHP Support

re: An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan

Thread moved to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 05:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

A wonderfully detailed travelogue! Shows how much effort has gone behind it. I have been to Bhutan several times but never managed to provide such details. This will be helpful for the others who plan to visit the lovely country. I wish you had spent a little more time and had visited Cheri and Tango. Anyways, there is always a next time. And you have to visit central and eastern Bhutan as well.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 07:30   #20
M35
BHPian

Another Five Star write up !

Nothing seems to have changed – barring those selfie poses of course. The warm smiling and welcoming people, the breathtaking valleys, the blue sky and refreshing waters, the blessing prayer flags, the smell of ‘Doma’ ( yes I can feel it), those charming Dzongs… Thank you for taking me back to 2002-03. I used to be residing in Central Bhutan as part of my work – at a small village called Gasello in Wangdue Phodrang. Used to travel to the nearby hot-spots like Punakha and Phobjikha quite regularly those days. Even after 15 years, we do try and make 'Ema Dakshi' at home during cold winter days with a cup of ‘Suja’ – a couple of local delicacies which we enjoyed the most while being in the Land of Thunder Dragon.

While getting to Phuntsholing from Kerala was a nightmare, traveling up to ‘Wangdi’ from the border-crossing wasn’t easy either. With my little girl growing up fast these days, a Palakkad – ‘Wangdi’ and back is definitely on cards in the near future.

A big thumbs up to the entire family, that includes the one in Satin white, for having conquered this serene southern slopes of eastern Himalayas in style; that too all the way from the land of ‘Mallus’. Very special and inspirational
M35 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 08:14   #21

@dhanushmenon amazing write up. As fresh as your charming personality. Loved the details. Looking forward to the next one. Cheers.
joyc_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 09:03   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
A wonderfully detailed travelogue! Shows how much effort has gone behind it. I have been to Bhutan several times but never managed to provide such details. This will be helpful for the others who plan to visit the lovely country. I wish you had spent a little more time and had visited Cheri and Tango. Anyways, there is always a next time. And you have to visit central and eastern Bhutan as well.
Thanks a lot BlackPearl.
I am just trying to travel the country and now, its neighbours too. Yet, I would still be an infant in front of your travel escapades.
Thanks a lot for your kind words. Even I wish I had spent more time there. Alas, we were on a set schedule and even this took 25 days for Kochi- Bhutan- Sikkim- Kochi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Another Five Star write up.... a Palakkad – ‘Wangdi’ and back is definitely on cards in the near future.

A big thumbs up to the entire family, that includes the one in Satin white, for having conquered this serene southern slopes of eastern Himalayas in style; that too all the way from the land of ‘Mallus’. Very special and inspirational
Thanks a lot M35; for your very kind words yet again on a travelogue.
You sure would have spent a wonderful time in Bhutan. I wish I could also get a job which sends me on deputations to Bhutan for some time
Looking forward to your Palakkad- Wangi drive and the travelogue on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyc_in View Post
@dhanushmenon amazing write up. As fresh as your charming personality. Loved the details. Looking forward to the next one. Cheers.
Thanks a lot sir for your kind words. Glad you liked it.
I am also elated that you chose me to use your 'fourth' post in the forum!
So, technically, you have spent 25% of your posts in penning kind words for me .
I am definitely glad
Old 9th September 2018, 09:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another amazing T'log from Mr D. My bucket list keeps growing when you show wonderful places (Am yet to cross South India ).

Keep writing and inspire us!
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 11:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: As we conclude our Bhutan Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Mr D is lazy. Period.
Thank you dear for this gripping, pleasant and superbly informative travelogue. It was heartening to recall memories of last year around this time - the Ladakh drive with you and lazy Mr.D But you know he is busy, serving us all and yet finding time to take you around with his family, and inspire us to travel! Lets discount him these small things yet again. He already gets his share of things back - remember when junior D's asked the question and how he responded - the taste of his own medicine was given back to him by another soul en-route tiger's nest

Again, thank you very much for bringing this to us all to read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Own Vehicle Permit Procedure
5. Vehicle permit is issued only after obtaining immigration permit.
6. Documents required for own vehicle permit-
(a) License- two copies (The name on the license should be the same as entered in immigration permit).
(b) Insurance- two copies.
(c) Pollution Certificate- two copies.
(d) Registration Certificate - two copies. (The name should be the same as entered in immigration permit).
(e) Copy of the permit obtained from Immigration Office.
(f) Application on plain paper.
A question - I missed reading may be - how about vehicle insurance formalities? And while MMI does not work there, would you find any M&M or trustworthy garages just in case if something pops-up on the way?
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 14:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yet another amazing T'log from Mr D. My bucket list keeps growing when you show wonderful places (Am yet to cross South India ).

Keep writing and inspire us!
Thanks Naveen. Do empty you bucket before it spills over.
The sprints to Mullaperiyar, Munnar and Gavis doesn't count

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thank you dear for this gripping, pleasant and superbly informative travelogue. It was heartening to recall memories of last year around this time - the Ladakh drive with you and lazy Mr.D
Thanks a lot abirnale for the very kind words. Much humbled and more than that, I am glad that you liked it. Many thanks.
Ofcourse the trip to Ladakh was a great and unique one; for the expanse of experience and because that it was did with a group of likeminded people.
I couldn't get time, space or patience to pen in a travelogue that time. You gracefully did the honours for all of us combined.
Cheers to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
A question - I missed reading may be - how about vehicle insurance formalities? And while MMI does not work there, would you find any M&M or trustworthy garages just in case if something pops-up on the way?
You need to have valid vehicle insurance to enter Bhutan. The papers are checked and copy is filed amongst the documents.
However, I am not sure of the formalities of claiming an insurance if an accident happens at Bhutan. I think the insurance companies give cover for Bhutan and Nepal as well. Not sure though.
There are many Mahindras plying in Bhutan. Many Boleros and pickups criss cross our paths routinely. I remember seeing a Mahindra service centre also; but don't exactly remember which part of the country. Any defects or untoward servicing wouldn't be a problem I guess.

MMI doesn't work. Google maps do. Even for google maps, the navigation feature doesn't work. It will only show you the location.
When you key in a place on the maps, it will show you the distance and route options to that place and all. But turn by turn navigation doesn't work. I guess this has got to do with some policy within the country. Too much technicalities for a person who has his brains on his knees

Mr D had downloaded offline maps of complete West Bhutan and the whole state of Sikkim before the journey. Therefore, he didn't face much problems to locate his location. Additionally, in these areas, there are not many roads. Except in the city area (which itself is not very spread out by metro standards), there is only one road and may be one more alternate option. It is not like Kerala or Bangalore where roads turn around like jalebis and consume themselves within the turns!!
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 20:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Dhanush. You take time to travel across our beautiful country and neighbors , find time to pen lovely travelogues and in between squeeze in time to save your countrymen drowning in floods too. Hats off to you man!

Last edited by mallumowgli : 9th September 2018 at 20:17.
mallumowgli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 20:27   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, Mr D finished the travelogue. Should add that it has been worth the wait.

Going through the pics and details gives idea of a trip to Bhutan. Road trip may not be feasible since getting extended leaves will not work out, will have to fly down. Whenever that is going to happen, details listed by you will be of immense help.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 08:28   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Awesome Dhanush. You take time to travel across our beautiful country and neighbors , find time to pen lovely travelogues and in between squeeze in time to save your countrymen drowning in floods too. Hats off to you man!
Ha ha. Thanks a lot mallumowgli for those kind words. I'd say, very kind indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Finally, Mr D finished the travelogue. Should add that it has been worth the wait....details listed by you will be of immense help.
Thanks a lot Suhas. I'll only be glad to be of help. Please trouble me.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 11:40   #29
BHPian

Re: An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan

Mr D, a fantastic travelogue. Makes me want to do this from Mumbai next year.

Quick Qs, how many KMs has your XUV traversed already and how is it doing after these multiple long trips?

Also, what was the performance on bad roads/inclines and tough terrains if any on the Bhutan stretch?

Cheers
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 13:35   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: An XUV500 speaks - 9500 km escapade from Kochi to Bhutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Mr D, a fantastic travelogue. Makes me want to do this from Mumbai next year.

Quick Qs, how many KMs has your XUV traversed already and how is it doing after these multiple long trips?

Also, what was the performance on bad roads/inclines and tough terrains if any on the Bhutan stretch?

Cheers
Thanks a lot Vikram.
As we speak, the XUV is at 80k kms. I have done Jalori pass, Western Ghats, Tawang, Meghalaya, Leh Ladakh and now Bhutan Sikkim. I should say (touch wood) the car has fared well. At higher altitudes, power delivery marginally reduces, but I never felt any shortage of power for any inclines or climbs. The toughest of them all was at Tawang sector and there too, with a little torque up the sleeve, it was easily negotiable.

Bhutan stretch is all tame. There are no nasty or difficult terrain all through the places I visited. I encountered a little slush at Sikkim, but could sail through safely.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks