Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2018, 05:33   #1
BHPian

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!

Hey guys, so I've been a part of the Team BHP community for a while now. I used to live in India, but I moved to America for college, so I haven't been posting much, but this road trip gave me a great opportunity to post once again :P

(Mods if I'm in the wrong forum(I did my best to find the right one), please move this post to where it should be, thanks!)

Enough about me, if you read the title, I know why you're here. Yes, we've picked up a BMW M6 Gran Coupe! And what a stunner he is (my car is a guy)! I'm a huge car guy, and this is the first sort of super car/performance car that our family has ever bought, so I thought I'd go ahead and document the entire experience.

But before I bore you to death with the details...

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0026.jpg

Here's a little preview of what's to come

I've also vlogged the entire expereince, and as I said, this is the first sports/exotic/performance car that our family has ever had, so I thought I'd take you guys on the ride with us. Being an M, I'm expecting a rollercoaster of emotions

Youtube:

If I see enough support and interest for a series on this car and our journey, I'll add more videos and posts about the ownership experience, trips, etc.

So now, the buying experience:

Why the M6?
Since I'm in college, I only get one car, unlike at home where most people with a performance car have a daily driver as well. I also live about three hours from any major city (Chicago, IL) - I go to school in Urbana-Champaign, so for the weekend I need an GT car for that long haul back and forth. I'm also a car guy, so I wanted some performance (definitely got more than some), and I needed a grocery getter, literally. The 6 series gives me all of that. It's an M division BMW - 'nuf said.

There's only one thing I'm concerned about. Winter. This is a 600 bhp, 515 ft-lbs of torque monster, so even light rain could throw the car out of wack in low tractions situations and Chicago gets pretty nasty, snowy winters. I might end up vlogging the result of that on YouTube (touch wood for me please) :|

I contemplated an E63 and S63 AMG wise, and an S8 Audi Wise. The S8 was nice, but not much of an exhaust note in the car - it's more for executives I guess. E63 was a little too torquey - anywhere near the throttle and I got shoved into the seat. It was an unpleasant experience sitting in the back seat, which is not okay considering I'll probably chauffeur my friends around. The S class felt like land yachting, not speed boat cruising. A very, very fast yacht, but a yacht none the less.

Drove an Austin Yellow M3 F80 - solid car, but the back seats were a little barren compared to the M6's. It's not going to be very comfortable for rear seat occupants for long journeys.

So M6 Gran Coupe it was.

Finding this M6:
Errmmm, I'm a car enthusiast. The M6 would have to have the optional Competition Pack (more power, stiffer suspension, slightly different tune). It would also have to be an M special color. Heads Up Display and such would be great too.

Nationwide searches for M division cars only return a few dozen results. M6s are pretty rare, and M6 GC's are even rarer. So when this car, with the perfect spec and color and options turned up, we made some phone calls and arranged a visit to the car. The only problem: I live in Chicago, and the car was in Tucson, AZ (a distance of almost 1800 miles, 26 hours of straight driving.)

So, we did the only logical thing we could think of. We flew to Vegas the next day.

Why Vegas?
Great question. On such short notice, the only rationally cheap thing to do was to fly from Chicago to Vegas, and then drive from Vegas to Tucson the next morning, so that's what we did. We had to move pretty quickly on the car, because it had been listed for a few weeks at the Tucson dealership, and BMW corporate had ordered the dealership to move the car to another location with higher demand somewhere in Cali, so literally as we were in talks with the dealership, a truck was going to pick the car up in Tucson and move it. It was pretty dramatic, I promise.

So we fly to Vegas, and the next morning we drive to Tucson, Arizona (6 hour drive). We arrived at the dealership, and met the people that I was talking on the phone with. Looked over the car, took it out for a short drive. Test drive was on some highway and some local roads. Car was very responsive on the highway sprints with every setting in Sport Plus, and very smooth and comfortable on the surface streets with every setting in Comfort, so we went ahead with the deal. I'll get into the economics of such a car in a later post or video on the channel, and as I get more in tune with it.

So that was that! Test drive was over, we were happy with the car, and we decided to go ahead with the deal. He was ready to be taken home - 1800 miles away! And were we gonna load him up onto a truck? Nope. Driven.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0004.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0005.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0006.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0013.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0014.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0022.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0024.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0025.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0027.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0030.jpg

So the delivery was over at around 7 p.m., and we wanted to drive straight to Dallas, so we decided to stay that night in Tucson, and tackle the 13 hour drive the next day. The Next morning...
R. Ravi is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 22:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0019.jpg

This is what we woke up to! Car was squeaky clean, and looked amazing in the dawn light.

Now came the actual road trip. 13 hours of highway cruising, in an M6. It was as amazing as it sounds. I'll try and do justice to the car by describing (in writing, sadly) what it felt like.

It was effortless power. The engine roars into life and less than a second later, you're speeding. Perception of speed is a little different in this car - it's dry weight is about 4400 pounds, so it's a very heavy, stable, and planted feeling, even at 80, 90 m.p.h. To counter that, it has a quoted 600hp, and 515 ft-lbs of torque. So it's like a beluga whale - fat, yet surprisingly fast. In fact, when I was pushing 100 m.p.h on an open highway (speed limit was about 70 - 75), and I wasn't really looking at the HUD, I didn't realize the speeds we were hitting (very illegal).

Driving it right after driving our mundane rental: Our rental was wobbly, shaky, and loud cruising at 75 mph, and when we jumped into the M6, 75 mph felt like 40 mph. The scenery out the window just didn't seem like it was actually moving by at highway speeds. Literal quote by my father - "Why would you buy this car when our rental felt faster. This is so boring." Thanks dad, thanks.

Anyyyway. We crossed three states from Tucson to Dallas.
1. Arizona
2. New Mexico
3. Texas

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180627-11.19.34-am.png

Southern part of America - lots of desert and lots of heat. So it was great that we didn't even want to get out of the car except food and bathroom breaks. The most interesting features of the terrain are probably the mountains, which there are quite a few. Looked best at dawn, so here they are.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180627-11.22.54-am.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180627-11.23.14-am.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180627-11.23.52-am.png

Story time:

So as you drive through New Mexico, there are some rolling hills you encounter. They're a few hundred feet elevation changes, so pretty decently sized. Since I have the mental age of a 6 year old, I thought hey - roller coaster ride. The beauty of rolling hills is, once you're on the top of one hill, you can completely see into the bowl before the next crest. So you can quickly scan for police, and be liberal with the gas within that hill. Great - speed limit was around 80, so as long as you're doing that at the top of the next hill, you're good. So I would hit about 90/95 at the bottom of the dip, and let gravity slow me down for the next crest. Did this about a dozen times, and we're nearing the end of this terrain, before it goes all flat, so I decide one last time, let's hear that V8. Smart, right?

So I do it, hit maybe 100 at the bottom of the hill, 20 over the limit, I've only had my license now for 2 months, and the car for about 18 hours (don't speed kids, moral of the story is at the top of the next hill). Car goes down the dip, and it's a pretty big dip. The raise of the final hill isn't that big though, so the speed only goes down to about 90.

I crest over the hill, and by now I'm at the back of a pack of cars and trucks - about 5 in all. They're all doing about 90 as well, but being in a bright orange sports car makes you stand out just a little more. So just as I crest over the hill, I do a quick scan and see a black and white Ford Explorer (New Mexico Highway Patrol, notorious for being hard on supercars and speeding) waiting on the opposite side shoulder. I look down at the speedo - limit was 80, I was at 89 indicated. Didn't know I could contemplate life that hard until that moment.

So we go flying by the cruiser in the opposite direction, and I decided it was probably best to gradually slow down rather than slam on the brakes. I held my breath for a solid minute and I was about to let out a sigh of relief - but then the cruiser eased off the shoulder, whipped around, and I lost sight of him. I just crested the last hill. Nice. So I slowed down. Speed limit 80? Great. Set cruise control to 79, put the car in comfort mode, shifted to the highest gear and let the car hush itself.

Now the terrain has flattened out, and I can see miles ahead and the previous hill is falling back. The cruiser crests over the hill - he's pulling maybe 110, 120 to catch up with me, with his lights off. That was a good sign I guess - it means he didn't have me on radar cresting the hill - that was his only real possible evidence that I was speeding. So he was probably waiting for me to slip up and speed in front of him, so he was being stealthy with his lights off. Nope. 79 in an 80. Remember how I was in a pack of cars and trucks? All this while, when the NMHP officer was catching up, I kind of sandwiched myself between two 18 wheelers in the slow lane (one in front, one in back), to you know, hide.

So I'm a little hidden, and the NMHP officer is flying up the fast lane, and only sees me at the last minute, so he's committed to go flying by. He does his best to wear off his speed, but he knows I've seen him by this point. Tails me for a few miles. Like bumper to bumper. I was waiting for those lights to go on. 79 in an 80. A few miles in, and he gave up, and just pulled off to the side of the highway to turn around again. LOL, sad story.

Dad this entire time: You get one ticket I'm selling the car. Insurance for you is already ridiculous. (Which is understandable, but did I need that at that moment - no)

End Story Time

The rest of New Mexico was a cruise - the miles just fall away in that car.

Arizona and Texas were pretty barren - The reason we wanted to drive the 13 hours at one shot was because with the exception of El Paso Texas, there weren't any major cities on our route. Parking the car in an unfamiliar location was not going to happen, so we drove straight to Dallas.

Arizona was pretty mellow - it was during the day, pretty barren, and arrow straight roads. There would be a mountain every once in a while, so I'd get excited to do some canyon carving - but instead of building the road ON the mountain, they built the road AROUND the mountain. And then it was an arrow straight road. Again.

We passed El Paso, Texas, which is a border town. Took the interstate straight through the city, with minor traffic. There was a little construction, but the car was set for Comfort suspension and Efficient engine settings, so it took the bumpy road well. No tunnels to really do any tunnel blasting sadly, so that was a bit of a let down.

Night fell somewhere in the Texas countryside. One complaint BMW. Your headlights, for high-speed, night cruising - way too low! Like literally, they are aimed at the ground, because Xenons will blind the traffic in the opposite direction, but they're still impossibly low. Especially since this car has performance tires, and fragile rims, hitting potholes is a gut wrenching and emotionally taxing experience - so trying to avoid them with headlights that point almost downwards in the pitch dark is not a fun game to play.

Entered Dallas late at night - almost 11 p.m. I was using a friend's DSLR, and I have no idea how to use them in low light, so sadly no decent pictures of entering DFW. Plus we didn't stop, so nothing unique there. It was late, and dark and a new place and so on...

Last edited by R. Ravi : 28th June 2018 at 02:38.
R. Ravi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 09:39   #3
BHPian

Hey guys! Just got back to Chicago, and I'm finally able to consolidate the entire experience, from beginning to end.

Here's a quick gist:
My dad and I snuck out of our friend's house at 6:45 a.m. and we got into Chicago at around 10:45 p.m. Stopped at my University, which was on the way, to pick up some clothes for me, so it took a few hours longer than it normally would have, but I was able to surprise one of my roommates with the car, which was nice (None of my other friends know :P).

This is a picture to visualize the route. The stop in the middle is my college. Had lunch somewhere along the way, I don't know which state to be honest, and had dinner at my University.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-8.31.36-pm.png

Now for the details:
So we snuck out at 6:45 a.m., and we beat the morning traffic that plagues Dallas/Fort-Worth. We had to make our way on one of the main highways that connects North/South Texas, so it was a great thing that we managed to avoid that bumper to bumper stuff. Since the M has a DCT, and I drive with paddles ( ) , it's a very jerky ride. Plus bad for the clutch, transmission, engine yada-yada. 6:45 a.m. means 5 lanes (3 once we left the center of the city) of buttery-smooth, perfectly paved, wide open roads in a car that starts to wake at 120 m.p.h. So how fast did we go? 70. 70. Miles. Per. Hour. 'Murica. 'Nuf said. (That's a lie, sometimes we were blessed with a speed limit of 75, but you get my point.)

Sooo... This is what that looks like, depressingly...

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-8.25.16-pm.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-8.07.13-pm.png

After about an hour of leaving the city, I promptly fell asleep. It was more driving through the Texas countryside in the middle of nowhere, and arrow straight roads. Then all that changed.

Google maps routed us a different route than the car's GPS system. The car has satellite radio, and real time traffic update, but come on... BMW or Google Maps. Google Maps all the way. Turns out, Google Maps routed us on small roads through the middle of nowhere. When I say small roads, I mean the exact opposite of the silky smooth, massive, Dallas freeways. I'm talking single-lane, surface-of-the-moon style country roads in a car that's ride height is... not generous. Yeah that road kept me awake for a few hours.

Jumped out at around 11 a.m. for a coffee-snack break at McDonald's. And then it was my turn! Still had an hour or two on that road, before we joined the main interstate again.

Things turned a little more interesting on the interstate. I was driving for a bit on the interstate, when the sky started to cloud over. By this point, we were into a bit more of hilly greenery, so it was some enjoyable driving. Again, the car wasn't being pushed at all, so there was no change in the dynamics, but it was more enjoyable than arrow straight roads.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-9.37.04-pm.png

Aaaand then all hell broke loose. It rained. Hard. Like, the car in front of me turned his hazards on, and had his brake lights on, and I couldn't see him when he went more than 10 feet away. Since we were in the hills, I think there was fog as well, which made the experience a little more... interesting. It was our first time driving in the rain, and I didn't want to bin it. Plus the car is running on performance tires, so the tread is not meh. Since I was holding the steering wheel, and my dad was holding his heart during this entire experience, no pics with the downpour. Sorry lol. But when it slowed down a little, I made my dad click a few...

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-9.35.44-pm.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-9.36.27-pm.png

There was also road construction, which meant the road was a little slick, and it was raining, so our average speed fell dramatically. Better be safe than sorry.
The rain was on and off, and when it was on, it would pour and then drizzle.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-9.34.47-pm.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-9.34.29-pm.png

This went on for a few hours, and then it started to dry out. Thank god for that, because, as you can see in the following picture, the road was so new in some places that they hadn't even painted the lines on. That's slick. And again, our tires are not meant for those kinds of conditions, so we got a little lucky.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-10.02.39-pm.png

The weather was changing, but the terrain stayed pretty much the same till we hit St. Louis. Rolling, green hills. Some nice rock formations (sedimentary, if I recall correctly from third grade science).

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-10.00.48-pm.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-10.00.53-pm.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-10.47.54-pm.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-10.48.35-pm.png

Just cruisin'

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-10.49.40-pm.png

Looking over these, I realized something: Every dry picture - overtaking lane. Every rainy one - slowest car on the road lol.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180628-10.50.13-pm.png

*I don't have any pictures on the outside of the car during the road trip because we were rushing on the drive. Didn't stop anywhere, even though I really wanted to. We had > 13 hours of driving, without stops, both days, so it was just gas and go stops. The next post will have lot's of pictures in Chicago though

Follow this thread (subscribe I think?) with email notifs if possible, because I will be attending some car meets in Chicago over the rest of the summer. I'll probably be adding onto this post, so if you're interested, keep checking in! I might not constantly add YouTube links as well, so again, if you're interested you may want to subscribe there too (plug). So here are some pictures. The car, after both long-hauls - disgusting. Bug guts everywhere. R.I.P.

Last edited by R. Ravi : 29th June 2018 at 10:32.
R. Ravi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 04:08   #4
BHPian

Hey guys, I took him to see the city today. Saw a lot of the landmarks, some planned and some because I got lost lol.

Driving in Chicago is a little hectic, and again, I don't risk distracted driving, and I was the only one in the car, so not much in terms of pictures in the middle of the city.

Chicago is laid out in a pretty cool way. It border's one of the five Great Lakes in the midwestern United States, so the entire city is spread out around the lake shore. I live in a suburb that's a about a half an hour away from downtown Chicago, so it's a bit of a drive. Most of it is bumper to bumper traffic, because most people work in the city, but live in the suburbs, so every day literally thousands of cars make the trip in and out of the city center. I was stuck in that. In a DCT. Jerky and wish-washy, all the way into town.

To picture the city...

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180629-5.20.19-pm.png

Chicago's a cool place for pictures though, specifically because of the lake front (as you're going to see )

So yeah, day started in the western suburbs. Charged into the city. Looked for cool picture spots in the city, but since I was the only one, there wasn't someone to jump out and seize the moment for a great picture if it came. And there's absolutely no chance of street parking in Chicago, so sadly that was out too.

One of my friend's has an E93 M3, and I remembered that they took some pretty cool pictures near the lake front, so I decided to check that out. Lakeshore drive is a pretty nice road that is... on the lake shore. Lakeshore Drive. Creative. Lakeshore drive has its' own appeal. All the skyscrapers stop about a half a mile from the actual beaches of the lake, so once you get on Lakeshore drive (pictured below) you can actually look out and see the lake - there are no buildings in the way. It's nice and windy too (the lakeshore effect), so you have a lot of recreational activities going on.

There's a nice bike path that borders the entire length of the beach, so people are jogging, walking, biking, etc all day long. You have docks for recreational use - yacht's, speedboats, sailboats and other boats (I don't know boats that well, sorry) all share the marinas that line the beach. Lakeshore drive is actually pretty wide as well - 3 or 4 lanes in some places, with a few traffic lights. Most of the city usually has bumper to bumper traffic, so driving on Lakeshore is pretty relaxing, so it gets a fare share of supercars (only saw a CLS63, a few 911s and a G63 today though). I went during the middle of the day, so...

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180629-5.20.08-pm.png

Anyways, we drove past the Willis Tower, the Bean, under The Loop and so on, until we made it to Lakeshore Dr. Again, Lakeshore is kind of long, so I first parked up at a Marina....

You can see some boats and such peeking out of the background. There were some better places to shoot the car, but Security kind of hushed me away. And then I got a small slap on the wrist by the Chicago Police Department lolz

The color of the car really changes with the lighting and the angle you look at it from.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0060.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0061.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0063.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0062.jpg

Cop followed me until I was clear of the area - all for parking in a no Parking. I went back, and asked the Security who was in charge of patrolling that area whether it was okay that I stood with the car, and took pictures for 2 minutes - she was hesitant, but said okay in the end.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0064.jpg

Deep thinking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I left that area, and started driving down an access road that's sort of between Lakeshore drive and the beach. Think of a service road type, but it was even closer to the beach than the main Lakeshore Drive. So here is one of the Marinas, and you can just see the trail that runs along Lakeshore.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0067.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The remaining pictures are all near the Adler Planetarium, and the Shedd Aquarium. Must sees if you visit Chicago. I've been there many times, so go if you have the chance. Shedd is great because it uses the lake as a water source, so they have a lot of interesting animals that you can't find in other places.

Adler is built in the middle of a small peninsula that extends into the main lake, so that's how you get the full lake effect on the side of the car.

Pulling up in front of Adler...
(The scale of some pictures are a little different, due to the file size restriction)

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180629-6.50.53-pm.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0088.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0077.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0081.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0082.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0086.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0091.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0094.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0096.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0098.jpg

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180629-6.52.59-pm.png

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180629-6.52.57-pm.png

Leaving the city... Had the camera open, on and in my lap from taking the previous pictures, and I was stuck at the front for a red light, so this presented itself.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20180629-6.53.00-pm.png

I'm typing all this up from a Starbucks here in the middle of the city - Chicago has parking garages everywhere, and this is an underground one, right below Michigan Avenue (A 4 lane road in the center of the city). I was a little scared about getting door dinged when parking, when I found this single spot, away from everyone else. Lucky day.

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-dsc_0102.jpg

All in all, a great day! Had loads of fun shooting the car, running away from the security enjoying the views.

So that was our road trip, from beginning to end - starting in Tucson and ending in Chicago. Again, the video in the first post is another take on the experience, in vlog format. I hope you guys enjoyed it!

There's another car meet here in Chicago tonight - might be a good one, I don't know yet. I'll be making another vlog out of the entire experience, so if you're down for it, subscribe on YouTube and comment on this thread so you get notifs!

Cheers!

If you guys want to see anything specific or interesting done with the car, let me know! I'll be making a full in depth review of the M6 as well... That's probably going on YouTube too, but I'll try and make a review on here as well (not sure if it's been done yet).

Last edited by R. Ravi : 30th June 2018 at 06:14.
R. Ravi is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 16:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 22:14   #6
BHPian

Congratulation R.Ravi, That was one Amazing Write-up, enjoyed the read throughly.

An absolutely stunning beauty she is, fast, practical(ish) and did i mention gorgeous? Great colour and the black rims complement the paint work beautifully.

Happy Mile Munching and Drive Safe!

P.S. A Titanium straight pipe on that monstrous V8 would sound phenomenal!

also, the Five-O HATE fast cars especially with eye popping paint jobs.
One:1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 08:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

Nice, I think it looks better than the M5 and is a better package. I recommend that you do not take it on track - it has too many shortcomings that show up on the track. On a normal road, it is perfect otherwise

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd July 2018 at 08:12.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 21:13   #8
BHPian

Congratulations, Very nice vehicle indeed and am sure you are enjoying your ride. Congratulations again.

I do remember seeing this vehicle in the Certified-Pre-Owned department at BMW Of Tucson. I think it has 29,000 mile on the Odometer ?

How much did you end up paying for it ? as at that time they quoted 59,000 USD plus taxes.

Happy mile munching again, it sure is a speed monster.

OK, I just pulled the ad by BMW Of Tucson from Google cache. So it is a 2015 M6 with 29k miles on the odo in pristine condition.

This sure is a great buy at 59k USD and definitely a great deal you got there. Congrats again on hunting down this sweet, sweet deal of a car.

I do remember seeing the ad for this car some days ago, and the moment I saw your post it rang a loud bell, and made me start looking. The color sure is very rare and only few cars are in the market with this color combo.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd July 2018 at 08:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
sammycoolster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 23:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats RAVI for not ending up buying the boring Camry or Lexus etc like most of the Indians in the US do for their 1st car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Nice, I think it looks better than the M5
^ I Agree !

Quote:
I recommend that you do not take it on track - it has too many shortcomings that show up on the track.
Oh c'mon, he's bought an M car & you are saying/recommending him to NOT to take it to a TRACK ? It may not be the sharpest corner carver but surely does qualify to have enough FUN on the track.

In fact i have spent some good track time behind the wheel of the M6 GC & never really regretted being on the track, sharing a quick pic for reference;

Pan-American Road Trip! Picking up our Sakhir Orange BMW M6 Gran Coupe!-screen-shot-20170519-7.33.43-pm.png.jpeg

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd July 2018 at 23:50.
karan561 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 02:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
P.S. A Titanium straight pipe on that monstrous V8 would sound phenomenal!

also, the Five-O HATE fast cars especially with eye popping paint jobs.
Thanks for reading (: My dad also uses the car, and he likes to take it to meet clients and such, so this is loud enough for now When I get full control of the car though, I'll be sure to ask for advice! And yes, I hope you read the little story I put in there about the cop during the drive. But they're chill as long as you're not going too crazy, so let's hope I can behave!

Quote:
Nice, I think it looks better than the M5 and is a better package. I recommend that you do not take it on track - it has too many shortcomings that show up on the track. On a normal road, it is perfect otherwise
Hey ajmat, thanks for the read. It's a handful everywhere - I'm gonna make a video on just how crazy a 600 HP RWD car is on the streets. There have been instances in the last week when all 600HP became very real, very fast - the car chirps its' tires in third gear (that's the furthest I've been able to push it on the road, within the speed limit), and is just crazy overall.

I don't plan on doing hot laps in this car - it weighs a lot. Like, a lot lol. But it sprints from 0-60 unlike anything I've ever driven. I will definitely take it to one of those airfield drag events if I come across one - that should be very interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post

I do remember seeing this vehicle in the Certified-Pre-Owned department at BMW Of Tucson. I think it has 29,000 mile on the Odometer ?

How much did you end up paying for it ? as at that time they quoted 59,000 USD plus taxes.

Happy mile munching again, it sure is a speed monster.
Hey sammycoolster, yes it is that car! Great eye, I'm impressed you can remember so much from the classifieds (I sit on CarGurus all day long lol). Yeah, they don't negotiate much on M cars, and the deal was pretty good to begin with. Plus they gave us brand new Performance tires, Rims, and did the CPO for us (about 8k), so the car has a $0 maintenance program (meaning we pay nothing for maintenance) for the next 2 years. I graduate in two years, I've been in college for two years now, so the car is covered until then. Depending on where I work, I think I can upgrade the maintenance contract another 3 years after the CPO rolls over. There are some other miscellaneous costs, which I'll cover in detail in a review of the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Congrats RAVI for not ending up buying the boring Camry or Lexus etc like most of the Indians in the US do for their 1st car

Oh c'mon, he's bought an M car & you are saying/recommending him to NOT to take it to a TRACK ? It may not be the sharpest corner carver but surely does qualify to have enough FUN on the track.

In fact i have spent some good track time behind the wheel of the M6 GC & never really regretted being on the track, sharing a quick pic for reference;

Attachment 1777444
Hey Karan, that's a stunning interior! Was it Silverstone? And which track was this on?! I'm sure you had a blast! I definitely want to track it sometime, to just learn the limits of the car. Obviously can't push it that far on the streets, so just the experience would be great. The only feel for the acceleration that I've had is at toll booths - after paying there's about a quarter of a mile where there's nobody else on the street and the speed limit is 70 m.p.h - great change to *legally* accelerate quickly as possible!

I don't have the carbon ceramics on the car - again, my dad is paying for the machine until I get a job, and those brakes are a bit more expensive (even though I heard they last longer), but I will for sure try and find a track!

------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I really appreciate the love for the car. The second vlog is up, washing the car after the drive to Chicago. The meet was cancelled because of some insane thunderstorms that rolled through the midwest, so hopefully there's some better weather next week.

I'm trying to grow the channel - I lived in America most of my life, but I've lived in India for four years (2012 - 2016) as a car guy to know the life - there are so many cars that we just don't have the opportunity of seeing! I also know of those kids and their that rave of cars all day long (I was one of those people, trust me). I'm just that Indian kid that is trying to inspire some other ones

How? This channel is young, so there's no defined direction yet. But automotive of course, be it in the style of reviews, experiences, or pertaining to just this car.

I see the channel as more of a journey than an individuals' experiences - for example, some of my friends are going to Germany to pick up a 911 GT3 Touring from the factory, and they're willing to create a vlog of the experience that I can put up. If anyone else is interested, please do let me know! Let's grow this as a community!
R. Ravi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Let me elaborate!

I spent time with the GC on the Buddh circuit. Frankly, it was a handful and it was a bit nose heavy and not very responsive to aggressive inputs. Yes, it is fun but if one is looking for a proper set up for the track, the GC is miles away from perfect. Anybody expecting the M6 to be the perfect track car will be disappointed.

Other participants also agreed. Drive an M3 or M4 back to back and you will see!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car bud, sakhir orange in my favourite colour for the newer Ms. You better watch out when it snows, the M6s tail always wants to come out. But as with all BMWs its just so predictable.

Quote:

Other participants also agreed. Drive an M3 or M4 back to back and you will see!
I think if someone doesn't drive an M3/4, they won't know what they are missing. Its only after them, that the M5/6 suddenly start feeling heavy and not as sharp. But compared to the RSs and the AMGs even the M6 feels great!
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:51   #13
BHPian

U of I, brings back lovely memories. Congrats on a fast, fast car, and take care when driving in one of those nasty ice storms.
Old 3rd July 2018, 16:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Ravi View Post
Hey Karan, that's a stunning interior! Was it Silverstone?
Probably Opal White IIRC.

Quote:
And which track was this on?!
BIC, India.

Quote:
Let me elaborate!

I spent time with the GC on the Buddh circuit. Frankly, it was a handful and it was a bit nose heavy and not very responsive to aggressive inputs. Yes, it is fun but if one is looking for a proper set up for the track, the GC is miles away from perfect. Anybody expecting the M6 to be the perfect track car will be disappointed.
Ajmat bhai,

I do respect your views, but as you would be aware the M6 GC is sorta M5 underneath (50 odd kgs heavier though). So your initial views about not tracking this car is like saying Dont track the BMW M5, hence i interrupted on that thought.

Quote:
Yes, Already done that;

karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 00:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Let me elaborate!

I spent time with the GC on the Buddh circuit... Anybody expecting the M6 to be the perfect track car will be disappointed.

Honestly, I can see that being true! I drove an M3 F80 - not on a track, but more of a quick round the block spin. Having a smaller car gives you a sense of handling, agility, and a level of driver confidence that is hard to match with a bigger car. The M6 gives more of a muscle car feel - it destroys straight line sprints, and is ultimately a BMW, so it takes corners well, but I could see how the F80/F82 would be better on a track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Congrats on the car bud, sakhir orange in my favourite colour for the newer Ms. You better watch out when it snows, the M6s tail always wants to come out. But as with all BMWs its just so predictable.

I think if someone doesn't drive an M3/4, they won't know what they are missing. Its only after them, that the M5/6 suddenly start feeling heavy and not as sharp. But compared to the RSs and the AMGs even the M6 feels great!
Yes! Loving the car so far. Put like 4k miles in less than 4 weeks. I don't even know how that's possible, but the car is being driven. Hard. If you haven't checked out the channel yet, there's a new video up. I think it's much better than the first two. Tail came out on me once in the rain already - I started from a stop sign, and car just drifted into oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
U of I, brings back lovely memories. Congrats on a fast, fast car, and take care when driving in one of those nasty ice storms.
Yes, I'm admittedly a little worried. Have to get snow tires and be really careful. I'm running soft compound Michelin Pilot Supersports, which is more of a performance tire.

Quote:

Probably Opal White IIRC....
Great video! Liked, and subbed! Post more!

So this is a new vid I made. MUCH MUCH better than the first few if I say so myself Check it out, and like, comment and sub!

Went to a rally organized by Audi near my house. Great experience, that video should be up soon too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks