Team-BHP - A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/199679-quick-getaway-kabini-dam-nagarhole-nugu-reservoir.html)

Last June, we (me, wife and daughter) did our maiden trip to Kabini & Nagarhole national park (link). That trip was inspired by BHPian nkrishnap's travelogues (link). We encountered good seasonal rains at that time and had a ball of a time, even though we did not go on a safari.

This year, my wife suggested that we again go to Nagarhole during the monsoon season just to enjoy the forest during rains. Again, we both agreed that if we do make it to a safari we'll consider it as a pure bonus. (One of our fears was that our 8-year old chatterbox angel will ruin the safari for all our canter/jeep co-passengers lol:). Our steed was Zest Revotron (petrol) which is our family's first car.

So, the plan was to leave on a Saturday morning from Bangalore. Drive through the National Park from Damankatte/Kabini side enjoying the flora & fauna. Reach Kattikulam for lunch. Drive to Kutta. Enter the National park again and reach Veerahosanahalli gate. Drive to Mysuru via Hunsur. Overnight break at Mysuru. On Sunday, plan was to drive through Bandipur upto Masinagudi and then return back to Bangalore by Sunday night. Well, that was the plan. But something else transpired!

A preview

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-veerahosanahalli.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-elephant-1.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-inside_nagarhole-1.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-elephant-6.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-inside_nagarhole-4.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-5.jpg

Photos credit: My wife and her Redmi A1

Day-1, 23rd June 2018
We started from KRPuram/Tin factory around 5.45am and started towards Mysuru road. We encountered light traffic except for some congestion at Metro construction areas up to Kengeri. Had a 45-minute breakfast break at A2B, Bidadi. We reached Mysuru Ring Road around 10.30am. We exited ring road towards Mananthavadi road, crossed handpost junction. Did a last minute change in plan and took left towards Kabini dam to check out the water levels. It was a good decision. The turn-off road from Mananthavadi road to dam is broken and patchy. Reached dam around 12.30pm. Water was being released from the dam and the views were awesome. Very less crowd/visitors at the dam. We drove a little further from the dam where there is a bridge (11°58'18.5"N 76°21'27.1"E). There was a cool breeze and we parked our car and took lot of snaps. Even the locals and other visitors joined us on the bridge which was empty until then.

Bridge near Kabini Dam

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-kabini_dam-1.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-kabini_dam-2.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-kabini_dam-3.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-kabini_dam-4.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-kabini_dam-6.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-kabini_dam.jpg

We joined the Mananthavadi road and started towards Damanakatte. Just after Antharasanthe village, our car started becoming jerky in 1st and 2nd gears. It was running ok in higher gears. I was in two minds as to what to do next. Take the risk and drive towards the national park. Or, play it safe and return to Mysuru and take the car to a service center/garage. With my family with me, I chose the 2nd option (listened to my head instead of my heart which still wanted to go towards forest). Made a U-turn and started driving towards Mysuru. The car now felt ok and jerkiness was gone. I crossed Antharasanthe again and made my way past Handpost junction. All the while I was thinking - maybe, I made a hasty decision to return to Mysuru; Maybe, I should have continued to Damanakatte. Then IT happened. My car broke-down and came to a complete halt somewhere between Handpost junction and Hampapura - still a distance of about 35kms from Mysuru Ring road. Several attempts to crank made no effect. The battery and Low oil pressure tell-tales were illuminated. Nothing else seemed to be wrong. Parked the car somehow a little off the road near a tree (not much shoulder there to speak of). Checked the engine bay. Couldn't locate anything abnormal. Counted my stars for listening to my head instead of the heart. Called the toll-free number and lodged a complaint. It was about 2.45pm now. Soon, someone from Urs Kar Service Center-Mysuru, called me to know my exact location. After a bit of discussion about my location, tell-tales etc. they informed me that the vehicle will have to be towed to their service center about 40kms away. Since my vehicle was still under warranty, they said towing would be free-of-charge. They estimated that it would take them about 1.5 hours to reach us.
Meanwhile, my wife and me started counting the positives during this unpleasant change to our plans.
1. This break-down did not happen in the night but in broad daylight. Also, it did not happen in the middle of the National park.
2. Though we were stranded in the middle-of-nowhere with the next village about 2-3 kms from us, there was still the occasional traffic which meant we were not truly alone.
3. Farms on both sides of the road with some farm worker or the other within our eyesight. Weather was also pleasant and no rains. What better place to have a break-down :)
4. We had carried enough snacks and lunch for us. So we wont be hungry.
5. Importantly, my 8-year old daughter was taking all of this gamely without much tantrums.

We had a snack break and the towing vehicle reached us within 45 minutes. Two efficient service folks got down to work and quickly diagnosed the problem as a malfunctioning fuel-pump. The vehicle was towed 40kms to their service center in Lakshmipuram. The drive was faster than what I expected it to be. We reached by 4.30pm.

Notice the LTD sticker in rear bumper of towing vehicle :uncontrol

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-towing.jpg

The vehicle was quickly attended to. Meanwhile, my wife and daughter got comfortable in the customer lounge. The fuel-pump was replaced under warranty and the vehicle was ready by 5.45pm. Paperwork done, we drove out from there by 6.15pm to our hotel (Rajmahal Inn) on Hunsur Road. I had to pay only Rs.100 for consumables and a washer. All things taken into consideration, I was very happy with the towing and service experience from Urs Kar Service Center.

We reached our hotel and freshened up and pondered about our day which did not playout as per our plan. During dinner, we considered our options for Sunday. Decided to risk going to Nagarhole national park and then return back to Bangalore.

Day-2, 24th June 2018
Next morning, we had breakfast in the restaurant attached to the hotel and checked out of our room by 7.15am. We reached Hunsur by about 8.30am. On the way from Hunsur to Veerahosanahalli, we stopped a couple of times for photography breaks. The weather was fair with clear skies. No sign of the rains that we had hoped for.

Near Veerahosanahalli
A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-veerahosanahalli-2.jpg

Near Veerahosanahalli
A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-veerahosanahalli-3.jpg

We reached Veerahosanahalli gate of the National Park by 9.45am. Again took lot of snaps and started driving slowly at 20kmph to enjoy the flora and fauna. We saw a lonely tusker soon after. Later, we were lucky to sight Gaurs, Langurs and lots of spotted deers.

Some snaps inside the national park

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-deer-1.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-deer-2.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-inside_nagarhole-2.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-elephant-2.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-elephant-3.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-inside_nagarhole.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-elephant-4.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-elephant-5.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-inside_nagarhole-3.jpg

We reached the Kutta gate by about 11.45am. To our surprise, the forest official there told me to park the car and come to his office to explain the delay in reaching. Apparently, there is a time limit of 1 hour within which one has reach the other gate. They do give 10-15 minutes slack but not more. He told me to pay fine as he was convinced that we had stopped and probably even got down from the vehicle. I explained to him that I was not told about any such time limit at the entrance gate and that I'm a law-abiding citizen who would'nt take such as risk with my young family. He asked for my mobile to check my photos and was convinced that all our photos were taken from inside the car. After some more discussion and convincing he let us go with a warning. We zoomed off to Kutta in no time and soon we were on the way to Kattikulam for lunch (restaurant attached to Holiday Hill hotel).

On the way from Kutta to Kattikulam

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-near_kutta.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-near_kattikulam.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-near_kattikulam-2.jpg

After lunch, we drove via Bavali, Damanakatte and crossed Antharasanthe. Soon we reached Handpost junction and this time we took a right-turn towards Begur. This was a route that we had never taken before and were unfamiliar with. This time the heart won the argument against the head. And what a decision it was. This picturesque road took us to Nugu reservoir via Sargur village. The road was not very wide but was smooth for about 95% of the distance. Only some broken patches around Hediyala village. Traffic too was sparse and we were in no hurry to reach Bangalore. We reached Nugu reservoir by 3.30pm. We spent about 45 minutes there. The weather was splendid and very windy. Soon dark clouds were seen overhead and we started from Nugu to avoid getting wet.

At Nugu Reservoir

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-1.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-3.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-6.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-8.jpg

We reached Begur and joined the wide and smooth road to Mysuru via Nanjanagudu. A one hour dinner break was taken at Vegetarea near Maddur. Started from there at 7.45pm and soon we got stuck in jam at Doddamalur. Traffic crawled all the way from here to past Channapatna town. All the way we were accompanied by the usual Sunday evening maniacal drivers found in this stretch (they'd easily put the ones from Bad drivers thread to shame). We reached home at 11pm after another jam near Mysore Road-NICE road junction.

Epilogue:
A good 2-day short vacation away from the mundane city life and traffic. Time well spent in the countryside, dams, reservoirs & national park. Though rains did not cross our paths this time we did build some character through some unexpected breakdown and towing experience (to paraphrase Calvin's dad). Bandipur was the one that got away. But there is always next time.

Trip Statistics:

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-mileage.jpg

Mod's note: Moved thread from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!

I found some more snaps of the charming Nugu reservoir. Definitely worth visiting during the monsoons. Only problem is there is not even a chai shop nearby. So, if you are planning to go there, carry your own snacks, food etc.

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-1.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-2.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-3.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-4.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-5.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-7.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-9.jpg

A quick getaway to Kabini dam, Nagarhole and Nugu reservoir-nugu-10.jpg

Nice Travelogue there. Short and sweet. Loved the pics. Couldn't help but notice that one of the tusk on the elephant is inward. Is it really bent inward or is it an optical illusion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sami316 (Post 4422442)
Nice Travelogue there. Short and sweet. Loved the pics. Couldn't help but notice that one of the tusk on the elephant is inward. Is it really bent inward or is it an optical illusion?

Thanks for kind words of appreciation.

Good observation :thumbs up. Yes, one tusk is inward. Not an optical illusion.

Had been to Nagu some 4 years back. It was not the raining season, but water levels looked decent. Hopefully it would been full this time when you went. No doubt its a beautiful location.

They were also patching up the Begur-Nugu-Handpost Section (Via Sargur) section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 4422571)
Had been to Nagu some 4 years back. It was not the raining season, but water levels looked decent. Hopefully it would been full this time when you went. No doubt its a beautiful location.

They were also patching up the Begur-Nugu-Handpost Section (Via Sargur) section.

Thanks. Yes, the water level was good last week.
The roads in Begur-Handpost section is also quite good now. Not very wide, but enough for a bus and car to travel simultaneously without having to get one set of tires off the road. Can easily do 60-70kmph. Very sparse traffic too.

I recollect seeing only one poor section of about 200 meters around Hediyala village.

There is a "forest-like" section about 1-2km long about midway between Hediyala and Begur (near Kothanahalli) where it is very scenic and picturesque. No humans around. Plenty of opportunities for photographers.

Beautiful compilation of scenic pictures. Thanks for sharing your experience. It has been sometime I have been on that trail. Keep traveling and sharing such wonderful experience.