Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2006, 15:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Suggestions for any must sees in Mangalore? Might be heading there next week.
Ported_head,

Some main tourist attractions in/around MLR: Kadri Temple(1100 years old), St. Aloysius Church (150+ yrs old beautiful wall/ceiling paintings), Mangaladevi Temple (after which MLR derives its name from), Samurai, Sultan Battery(Tippu Sultan's canon formation to prevent ships entering into the Gurupur river- which still flows), Dharmasthala (75 kms from MLR), Chandranath temple in Mudabidri (has 1000 pillars, 15th century) and the 13 kms tall (thats right!) Bahubali statue in Karkal thats 550 years old.

The main attraction is of course, the large swathes of unspoilt and serene beach there and the cashewnuts.

Have a good time.
Old 30th December 2006, 19:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi theMAG,

Great report man really appreciate your wording.

Can you tell me how good the road is between BLR -> Coorg -> MLR, I mean How many kilomtr road having good stretch and how much bad stretch ?

I heard and understood ghat section of NH 48 after Sakaleshpur is pethatic with no road at all scene. I traveled by NH 48 2 times so far when I own Omini it was very nice road in 2003. but its unfortunate this rainy reason things gone wrong with road.. actually its same case with all most all ghat section of national highways like NH 63(Hubli-ankola), NH17 (between ankola-mangalore), all these roads being reparied from last 2 months and work is almost done now. Hopefully in 8-10 days they complete repairing NH 48 as well

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 30th December 2006, 20:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suggestions for any must sees in Mangalore? Might be heading there next week.
Let's make sure we meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well written my friend. Most enjoyable. I must go and look up "The Moderator that doesnt smile" someday.
I do smile off the record/camera. Just tell me when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Mangaladevi Temple (after which MLR derives its name from), Samurai, ...
Hey, I am in the next district, remember...
Old 30th December 2006, 22:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

know what? you should thank the guy who stole your mobile now, right?

nice writeup and pix mr.judge
Old 31st December 2006, 10:20   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

@ravibhat: BLR-Coorg is 250 kms. Coorg-MLR: 130 kms. The Hunsur Road after Srirangapatna that leads to Coorg can be best described as an averagely maintained rural highway - its definitely not smooth - but not as bad as some bad examples of our NHs either. There's road development going on after Ilwala - a new black-top double road with 4/6 lanes. But this stretch is a minority along the entire route, and lasts for abt 10 kms. Between Piriyapatna and Coorg the road further deteriorates than the Srirangapatna-Hunsur stretch, with lot of trenches resulting in small yet rough detours. Max speed tolerable on this stretch in a car is 40 kmph. The same road condition holds true all the way till Soolya; Soolya-MLR becomes more motorable until you hit MLR when the road really disappears.

@jkdas:
Old 31st December 2006, 10:49   #21
BHPian

great write up ... & good snaps :-)
Old 1st January 2007, 18:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thank you theMAG for detailed reply.

Ravi.
Old 29th January 2007, 18:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ok, looking at Samurai's recent travelogue, I got nostalgic about my Manglore trip, and thought I'd share the wonderful place that is Manglore (rather the outskirts), through my amateur pictures. I didn't want to hijack his thread there, so forgive me for reviving an old thread.

Most of the pictures are backyard pictures, scenery from different corners of the house we were staying in, except the friendly neighbourhood fishermen, who we bought fish off, in the middle of the river, in a boat! I miss everything about Mangalore, the lavish spreads of green, the pure air, the whitish sand beaches, the river, sigh! What fun man, city life is the pits.MAngalore city was nothing to write home about, just another boring city, crowded and rickshawwallahs and the works. The outskirts are where its all at.

the MAG: Dude, I couldn't find any 13 kms tall Bahubali statue as you said. The Bahubali statue I found at Karkala was some 42 feet tall or something. Only to be ridiculed the rest of the journey back home. This is what I found:
Old 29th January 2007, 18:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice pic's ported_head . Why not write a complete travelogue about your experience also? Am sure we have people who would love to read it.Afterall everyone does have an unique experience in every trip.

Quote:
the MAG: Dude, I couldn't find any 13 kms tall Bahubali statue as you said. The Bahubali statue I found at Karkala was some 42 feet tall or something. Only to be ridiculed the rest of the journey back home. This is what I found:
Holy cow when did that statue start growing?13kms tall . Mag are you reading?.

cheers
Old 29th January 2007, 18:36   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh well - I'll run a viruscan on my brain - and a spyware scan. Atleast people around you enjoyed the journey home as well- extending the holiday spirit.

Btw, where did you stay?

Last edited by theMAG : 29th January 2007 at 18:38.
Old 29th January 2007, 18:43   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok, looking at Samurai's recent travelogue, I got nostalgic about my Manglore trip, and thought I'd share the wonderful place that is Manglore (rather the outskirts), through my amateur pictures.
Actually the place you stayed (snaps you posted) was far away (110Kms) from Mangalore, different district too. Actually it was much closer (30Kms) to the place I visited. You may want to say Kundapur Trip instead of Mangalore, and give credit where it is due.

Quote:
the MAG: Dude, I couldn't find any 13 kms tall Bahubali statue as you said. The Bahubali statue I found at Karkala was some 42 feet tall or something. Only to be ridiculed the rest of the journey back home.
Did you actually go to Karkala in this visit, what route did you take?
Old 29th January 2007, 18:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually the place you stayed (snaps you posted) was far away (110Kms) from Mangalore, different district too. Actually it was much closer (30Kms) to the place I visited. You may want to say Kundapur Trip instead of Mangalore, and give credit where it is due.
Yeah, actually good 10-15 kms from Kundapur also, but it was always the Manglore trip, so it's stuck that way. We realised it wasn't Manglore we were going to, when were dropped on the Kundapur highway at 4 am near Moothmudi, damn that was scary, and then to walk through a farm with only a carbide lamp in hand, some experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did you actually go to Karkala in this visit, what route did you take?
Yeah we did, some weird journey. We first went to see my friend's ailing relative at some Goretti Hospital, sorry don't know where. Then we went to Manipal University to check on some courses for my friend's cousin. Then went to Karkala, stopping enroute at some churches since my friend is Catholic. Then went to Manglore city for lunch at some place called Royal Darbar, to experience horrible food more expensive than Mumbai. On the way back, stopped at some church again. Then got home, only to find it was 8.30 PM. Time flows really slow in Manglore.
Old 30th January 2007, 11:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics ported.Reminds me of Kerala.
Old 30th January 2007, 11:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Time flows really slow in Manglore.
You bet maan ! I stayed in Mangalore a few years back and it actually feels time is slow .......and the best part is the seafood that you can buy in Kilos and not grams and at that prices maan Im hungry now...need to go and find some fried prawns ...yummy

Most Viewed