Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2018, 10:50   #16
BHPian

Re: We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra

Well written Parag. I was really happy to get behind the wheel for a long drive after an elongated break due to health issues. So this Monsoon drive was super stirring. Like someone said, sometimes the best therapy is a long drive! This time we also had few new faces to join us. My colleagues Sujit and Harsha had no second thought when I told them about this drive plan. Also it was great to meet Sridhar, Ravi and the young and enthusiastic champ Audioholic
Attached Thumbnails
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-850ffbc3822248abb244493538c34e0a.jpg  

We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-img_5539.jpg  

Mighty_Lothar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 11:36   #17
BHPian

Re: We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 Kms: Monsoon Drive 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
D1: Pawna Lake and Mulshi:
Lovely travelogue with like minded folks.
That mountain peak behind your couple of pictures in this post is 'Tung fort' ( also known as "कठिन गड"). It's one of the fort of Maratha empire.
Elevation- 3527 ft

Amongst one of the easy to moderate hike around Pune. Tung fort is surrounded by Pavana dam on almost 3 sides and view from the top is breathtaking, one should witness sunrise.

Historical insight- Tung fort was built by Adilshahi dynasty in 1600 A.D. and later on it was conquered by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. Tung also served as a watch tower and was used to distract the attackers till the main forts in vicinity could ready themselves for the battle.

Last edited by ampere : 4th August 2018 at 21:36. Reason: Grammer; removed dead links from quoted post
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 11:47   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra

Beautiful Pictures and report Paragsachania thanks for bringing out so quick. Kudos to all the participants of the drive. Not to forget...the married guys among you have got great supportive spouses I must say.
White car plastered with mud is one of most satisfying view after a drive for me
The shape of the mountain in the background of Pawna lake is quite different I feel. The sudden steep rise. It's like a swelling on the head shown in some cartoons
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-images-1.jpegsource:google images
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 14:53   #19
BHPian

I would like to join you all on your next trip. Please let me know when that happens
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 19:57   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I read this again and again to relive the memories we had, and boy its already one week since we undertook this trip. I really have nothing to add since Parag has narrated it in a detailed manner. For me, it started with a message from Parag informing me about their plans just two days before the trip. After sitting in a torturous training on DSP for three days of the week, this was a very tempting offer and I didnt think twice, except for the fact that I had some explaining at home to be done. I gave a partial confirmation to Parag and later in the evening confirmed that I would join them. I was wondering what kind of reactions would come up at home when I randomly tell them that I am going to Pune on the coming weekend, that too in a bunch of cars and returning the same weekend However, they had known about such drives in the past and hence, not much of explaining had to be done.

Since this was the first time I was out on such a long drive, I was not sure if taking my car was a good idea. The other guys have done this before, and most of them have driven extensively which makes this one not a big deal for them. Hence, this was more like a rehearsal for me which gave confidence that I would be doing this next time too. Hence, I decided to accompany Parag in his car as a navigator(ahem!) though I had no clue about the route and places. Having driven in convoys at work in Germany I loved the fact that they had set certain rules, and were equipped well for the drive, which were similar to what we have done there.

And off we go, I bid bye bye to the DSP Professor one day earlier than expected and we left early in the morning on Friday. I hardly slept that night since we planned to leave at 130AM from my house with Harsha offering to pick me up until we met everyone at the meeting point. We left the meeting point at the planned time and after that, it was a great experience. With our car being the lead car, I took the job of the wireless radio operator and used to relay updates. Everything happened like clockwork and without interrupting the journey. Breakfast and fuel breaks were planned well and thanks to truck strike, we were keeping good progress.

That day ended with a superb dinner with the boys and HVK too, and we crashed into the bed without much fuss, though the accommodation was just average. Next day we had to use some talent to lock the washroom door which was a little tricky to latch.

Day 2 was spent exploring beautiful ghats and with a great deal of scenery, greenery and very remote regions. Varandah ghat and the surrounding areas were very peaceful with hardly any tourists. We stopped at multiple places and finally came to the plains sometime after noon. Since the Pune - Bangalore highway was not too far, we hit the highway and in a way began the return journey. While the idea of continuing the journey to Bangalore was considered, we called it a day at Kohlapur with good time left in the evening to relax and have a great time during dinner.

Overall, it was a good pack of firepower and even though the driving was not aggressive, the average speed was high and every car kept up with it. Though Parags car had 1.5L kms clocked on it, it flew on the empty stretches and could keep up speeds with ease. Same case with Aruns Linea with a higher figure on the odo.

It has been mentioned earlier, but having wireless radio really helps when driving in a convoy. In those narrow roads, taking a U turn itself was a huge task. In such a scenario, if the first car misses the route, it will be a tough task to first communicate this to the rest, then turn around and regroup. But with the radio, we did this in no time, and could also help others when taking a U turn, parking etc, since in a few places there was not enough space for all cars to park in a single place. Hence, we being in the first car would pull up to the edge of the parking slot, and then let others know how many more can trail us, while the rest had to park somewhere before. This prevents inconvenience to other vehicles on the road as seen in some other events where a group of cars/bikes will be all over the road and there is no etiquette. On Day 2, we came across a huge group of bikes who were on a group ride, scattered all over the road

If I continue writing, it will repeat what has already been said. But this was an experience I really enjoyed, and would love to do it again. However, I would mostly be on the drivers seat next time.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 21:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

11 guys spread across 8 cars that more or less all went through the same route

Sometimes I think this forum of ours should focus (or lead the way) more on eco-friendly driving. I know there is no limit how far can we push the case (question can be raised then why do such drives), but I guess there's always a starting point somewhere.

Sorry if this is OT; thought it was relevant and hence the post.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th August 2018 at 21:11.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 21:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
11 guys spread across 8 cars that more or less all went through the same route
Sometimes I think this forum of ours should focus (or lead the way) more on eco-friendly driving. I know there is no limit how far can we push the case (question can be raised then why do such drives), but I guess there's always a starting point somewhere.
Well, three of us decided not to take the car and pooled up with other guys so I guess thats a good starting point On a serious note, I appreciate your views. However, this is a leisure activity and not something that is done everyday. Hence, I see no point in trying to gauge how this is/isn't eco-friendly. I believe people here in the forum have a passion for driving and this is just an occasional activity to keep that running. Neither would I prefer driving someone else's car, nor will I allow even my closest friends to use mine. Hence, let us not discuss about trying to share cars and so on.
audioholic is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 21:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
but I guess there's always a starting point somewhere
Not OT at all. Very relevant in today's context when each one talks about doing their bit for the environment, I do it too that may not be just to spreading the exhaust smoke all over but by other means:

- I prefer driving odd hours and odd days : I don't have to idle my car for kilometers like the rest and I still conserve both time and fuel

- I visit the washing center once in 2 or 3 months, rest of the times I manage washing with just a bucket/spray an a towel and that too with longer intervals

I am sure rest of all would also be doing something or the other, to be equally responsible and considerate towards the environment like others.

Alas, I would have chosen to have the word "Tour or Excursion" if we had gone in 2 cars but since we all drove our own cars for the sheer love of driving, we called it a "Drive".

After all, we are an automotive forum, and a responsible one at that where we somewhere do our part to remain responsible in every sense and one of them is to treat the environment with respect.

So this drive in anyway doesn't reflect our views against the environment at all if 11 people and 8 cars is what deviated the topic .

Makes me think if we can collectively do something about Public Transport buses running empty in some non popular routes.

Before I forget, I picked up my car based on 'Kitna Deti Hai' .

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th August 2018 at 21:46.
paragsachania is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 10:37   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I was thinking of having a lazy Saturday, but your travelogue has changed my mood. Heading out on the highway to 'chase the rains' in 90 minutes.
Thanks for a nice Saturday, Paragbhai! Instead of doing errands, a lunch, gym'ing, watching a movie and shopping, we:

Saw some streams & mini waterfalls:
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-1.jpg

Mountains:
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-2.jpg

Wet Roads:
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-3.jpg

Lush greens:
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-4.jpg

A beautiful temple:
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-5.jpg

Heard some dhinchak music:
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-7a.jpg

Came across a fellow fan:
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-8.jpg

And stopped for some yummy misal-pav!
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-9.jpg
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 16:04   #25
BHPian

Parag, excellent pics and narration of the drive - A usual one from you You guys visited at the perfect time, since just around 10 days before or so, NH17 between Mangaon and Mahad and beyond Mahad onto the Varandha etc. was all under water due to heavy rains, swollen rivers and floods. We cancelled our Mumbai--Raigad--Mumbai drive at the last moment due to floods and drove to Jawahar--Dabhosa waterfall instead. Your Tamhini, Mulshi, Varandha pics are too tempting and I am planning to do a one day drive from Mumbai to that region by the end of this month mostly.

I have a query - you guys were planning to take the old Mumbai--Pune NH4 till Kamshet, but instead took the Expressway again right ? Did I miss something there ?
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 19:08   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I have a query - you guys were planning to take the old Mumbai--Pune NH4 till Kamshet, but instead took the Expressway again right ? Did I miss something there ?
You are right Vivek. Our initial plan was to take the Old NH till Kamshet and then join the Pawna route but then except Myself, Satya and Arun, none of the others had ever driven or experienced the Mumbai Pune Expressway in monsoon. So we decided to take the MPE till Lonavala. Here again we had a choice to enter the town and take the usual route to Pawna but we were wary that we might get into the traffic mess inside the town and hence took the expressway again, exited at the Police check post and joined onto the Pawna road.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 Kms: Monsoon Drive 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This was the same route we had done, way back in 2015 during the Monsoon drive to Mahabaleshwar and Panchagani area. So this one felt like home with similar scenery greeting most of us all.
Awesome trip report. A bunch of us also went to Mahabaleshwar earlier in the monsoons and your report has reminded me of that trip. Attaching some images.

We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-whatsapp-image-20180806-13.00.30.jpeg

We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-whatsapp-image-20180806-13.00.37.jpeg

We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-whatsapp-image-20180806-13.00.32.jpeg

We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-whatsapp-image-20180806-13.00.38.jpeg
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 00:01   #28
BHPian

What an amazing TL, the greenery, rains and then the dirt and ofcourse the cars, sums up to a great monsoon drive.
The photos were really awesome and refreshing!
Wish I can join you in your next group (convoy) drive!!

Cheers!
DBeast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 05:14   #29
Team-BHP Support

The monsoons are so alluring, and surely inspires one to head out on a drive. Good trip report, and glad to see this is being done as a regular activity.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 13:42   #30
BHPian

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience with us. The MH belt specially the WG region becomes ecstatic during the monsoons.The combination of green moss on black rocks is stunning. The streams that immerge and go back into the valley has a different type of charm when compared to the ones in Himalaya. Being in Hyderabad makes exploring MH 500+kms but that 500kms is equally wonderful.
Sharing a picture from MH trip last year monsoon.
We chase the rains again, 8 cars, 2000 km : Monsoon Drive in Western Maharashtra-day-2-9.jpg
ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks