Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2018, 22:29   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Masai Mara - A magical week in wildlife heaven

Another superb travelogue. After your envious Kabni sightings, this is a whole new level. Witnessing great migration is on my bucket list, not sure when it is going to be possible though.

One feedback about your pics, I felt some of the pics were not that crisp compared to your usual pictures. I am not sure if it was since you may have cropped the image or if it was due to the brown background. Please do note that they are still superb.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 15:58   #77
BHPian

Thanks Suhas. Any wildlife photographer's journey is incomplete until several destinations are covered. Mara is just one of them, but probably the biggest one!

Most of the images are full frame with very little cropping. Maybe one or two were cropped more than 10-15%, but nothing more. Which of them did you find blurred?
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 20:03   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Which of them did you find blurred?
As I mentioned earlier, it is compared to pictures posted by you in your earlier travelogue.

I won't call them blurred, color tone difference maybe.

Pic1

Pic2
Old 31st October 2018, 14:42   #79
BHPian

OK I see your point. The first pic (the one with the Wildebeest crossing) is hazy because of the great amount of dust being thrown up by them while rushing towards the gap and also while slipping and sliding down the slope to the water. You can actually see the dust cloud at the bottom right of the image. Both the camera and the lens did a wonderful job of attaining focus despite the haze. I cleaned it up a bit with Photoshop Camera Raw's Dehaze filter, but didn't want to overdo it as I thought the dusty looks adds some reality to the image.

By contrast, the second image of the Elands was taken in clear conditions, so there is no haze effect on them.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 22:56   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekfar View Post
Jaisimha, thanks for the visual treat of the Masai Mara triangle.
You have indeed given us a splendid coverage of the wildlife in Africa.
I ll second that!
Nice coverage indeed.
My wife and I were in Kenya - we spent a good amount of time in Nairobi, Masai Mara, Nakuru, Naivasha, David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage etc last year July-August 2017. And yes, it was a truly wonderful experience - what phenomenal sights of teeming wildlife even now!
Just imagine how much more wildlife there would have been, a 100 years ago!

Absolutely amazing trip - but I am way too tied up at work, to sit and build my travelogue and put up the pics etc now. I ll do it some day. And we can maybe swap some stories of our mutual experiences!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 17:03   #81
BHPian

Thanks shankar.balan. Looking forward to your travelogue, whenever you get the time.
Old 16th May 2019, 13:34   #82
BHPian

Wow Stryker, that was some experience! Absolutely loved the photographs and the narration style. I can't begin to fathom the excitement that would have been running through you during the week-long sojourn into the wild. Rating it a very well deserved 5 Star.
For someone who would be travelling with a small family, what would your suggestions be as to the itinerary and places to stay? Not in the immediate future but definitely in a year or two I will most definitely be going in and would love to gather as much info as possible.
Thank you and once again kudos for a very very good travelogue.
Hunter3077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 16:05   #83
BHPian

Thanks, Hunter3077. As for the itinerary, it depends on how long you plan to be there. Also it depends if you are visiting primarily for just sightseeing or specifically for photography. The Mara alone requires at least three or four days to cover some small percentage of it, more if you have the time. There are umpteen options for stay out there, to suit all kinds of budgets, 5 star to no star. Costs keep varying depending on which time of the year you go, with the highest being around the August-September migration season.

Most Viewed