Team-BHP - Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/203190-durga-puja-drive-kalimpong-chamong-wb.html)

This year, travel plans were being postponed, shelved and deferred very frequently. Apart from the Chadar Trek in January, we had travelled only to Shanitiniketan, Jhargram and Tajpur. Usually every monsoon we drive to one or two nearby places but even those plans got shelved as
my driving license was suspended. The work situation too was giving hell and was swamped with work all along.

So, something had to be done!

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7412.jpg
A customary shot of the steed.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7410.jpg
Hut at Chibbo village.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7349.jpg
Sometime in the blistering heat of May, figured out that the Durga Puja leaves this year were just apt for a short getaway. Zeroed in on Kalimpong and a Tea Garden Bungalow in Darjeeling.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7353.jpg
A beautiful house.

And throughout the summer and monsoon waited for the days to pass as killing work (and the suspended DL) took its toll.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7383.jpg

And then I was rewarded. Almost on a week’s notice got a prized trek to Rupin Pass in the last week of September. Returned on 2nd Oct and the Durga Puja spirit was in the air.

The plan was to leave on Ashtami (17th Oct) and return to Kolkata on 24th Oct.

Schedule
Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7390.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7393.jpg

Day One: Calcutta to Bagdogra [560 kms, 13 hours]

We did some pandal hopping for the first 3 days. Didn't want to strain myself on Saptami night, so the outing was deliberately kept short.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7396.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7397.jpg
Terraced cultivation.

And on Ashtami set sail in our nine year old Swift. The streets decked with lights. Even at 4 AM, Rash Behari crossing was flooded with the crowd. For a moment pinched myself to check that whether it was evening 7 PM or the crack of the Ashtami dawn.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7399.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7401.jpg

As others have described, this year Farakka bridge was closed for repair for truck traffic from 7 AM to 5 PM and all the trucks were stranded on the north bound flank of NH-34 and was quite anxious as to what the situation will be. But the journey to Bagdogra (we usually stay the night at Marina’s Motel) was a breeze.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7403.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7406.jpg

Apart from tea breaks, we stopped at the BP Moregram for a heavy breakfast of Aloo Paranthas and that stuff was good enough for the entire day. Checked into the hotel around 5.30 PM, freshened up and when we headed to the restaurant it was around 8.00 PM. Had Roasted Chicken for dinner and slept off early.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7407.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7409.jpg

Day Two: Bagdogra to Kalimpong [70 kms, 2.5 hrs]
The day we hit the hills!

I had lost 3 kilos of weight after the Rupin pass trek and so wanted to relax, have good food and generally stroll around at a leisurely pace. We started from Bagdogra around 11.30 AM. Our destination - Kalimpong.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7484.jpg
At Peshok. Tea break.

The weather was great and as we are wont to, rolled down the windows to let the fresh air hit our face.
Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7435.jpg

The NH 10 has deteriorated at several places and in a hatchback it can quite uncomfortable at times. Stopped at a point for some vegetable momos and by 2.30 PM we were at Sinclairs, Kalimpong. The resort is located 5 kilometers before Kalimpong and is on the road to Chibbo village.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7437.jpg
Army Golf course, Kalimgpong

Check in process was smooth. The room that we had booked had a balcony attached to it overlooking the valley. The missus reckoned ‘just as we wanted’ – away from the crowd, yet has all the amenities and is supremely comfortable.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7439.jpg
Morgan House.

The weather during all the three days that we stayed in Kalimpong was mild. In the mornings you would require a light windcheater till nine, a t-shirt would suffice from then to around four in the evening, after which you would again require a windcheater.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7441.jpg
At Durpin Monastery

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7442.jpg

Had a hot shower, ordered for some Chowmein and Chilli Chicken from the “all day menu” and sat on the balcony reading a recently purchased, yet old book – Ruskin Bond’s A Room on the Roof – and whiled away a cool two hours.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7443.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7446.jpg
Chicken with Vegetables: at Gompus

The sun had disappeared into the haze by then and the air got cold in the remaining light.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7458.jpg
The trees at a distance rustled in the evening and my son, who had slept off after lunch woke up fresh and was happy and excited.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7461.jpg
The resort.

The glass door partition between the room and balcony became an “elevator door” for him.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7466.jpg

The balcony was too enticing for me to resist. So, I made some tea for ourselves and sat for a while. We debated on – should the dinner be ordered from room service or should we help ourselves to the restaurant? Our discussion then shifted to the plan for the next day. Our son was happy getting up and down the attic. And spent some time drawing the trees and forests and hulls. At the end, room service won over walking over to the restaurant. By 11 PM we were fast asleep.

In the hills there was hardly any feel of Durga puja – but we had found solitude!

Day Three: Around Kalimpong

Woke up late - so late that the breakfast time was almost getting over. So hurried to the restaurant where after a sumptuous breakfast we deliberated on “What to do?”. Checked a few websites on “What are the things to do in Kalimpong?” – the idea was to leave the hotel before noon and reach by sunset.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-20181023_092403.jpg
Morning tea at Chamong Chiabari

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7557.jpg
Scenic!

A rough itinerary was made – visit Dr. Graham’s Homes, Delo Park, the market and return. The sun was very bright, and it was getting hot as we wound through the hill slopes. Lost our way a few times and finally reached Dr Graham’s homes – basically a school – closed due to the Pujo vacations.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7539.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7473.jpg

The Delo hill is further way up, along the same road that passes beside the school. And by the time we were back on the road, the sun had disappeared, and fog caught up with us. It was all – dark, foggy, wet and cold – in no time. We stopped for Maggi at a road side joint. Later we reached the park, strolled around, had some ice cream. Parking was a problem because of too many tourist vehicles everywhere, but all is well that ends well.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7485.jpg
Looking back - cliche!

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7493.jpg
Chamong Chiabari

On the way down from Delo, we found a sweet place to park the car near Kalimpong bazaar. The wife bought some bakery stuff: cream rolls, biscuits; son bought a balloon and I had a beer at Gompu’s and tasted some beef momos at a road side spot. We were back at the resort by the time darkness had fallen.

An anecdote here about parking my car. That day was Vijaya Dashami and the car parking space (which is located at the rear of the resort) was full. So the security guard asked me to park my car inside the resort – near to the reception. But when I tried to take my car inside, the other security guard – who didn’t know I was hotel guest – told me to park my car outside. Saying that he will look over it and it won’t be a problem. Since the parking space was insecure, so I called up the reception and told them about the incident. Thankfully, the resort folks promptly responded: not only they apologized but they parked my car inside the resort. That night we dined at the restaurant and called off the day soon after.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7494.jpg

Day Four: Around Kalimpong

Since this would be the final day to spend in Kalimpong, I had planned a short excursion Chibbo village which was nearby. Hence woke up earlier than usual – the wife and kid were sleeping.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7496.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7500.jpg
A Gazebo
Started the car and in no time I was meandering the curved, steep but well paved roads. Terraced fields, small houses, rooster’s call – all part and parcel of a hilly village life – appeared.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7501.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7513.jpg

There were a few little shops where I had hoped for a cup of tea – to be denied every time. Asked the locals where the road went and was told that it ends at a football ground beside the Durpin monastery. Since we had time to explore later in the day, so thought that we can visit Durpin monastery later. Instead tried my hand, very poorly, at car photography.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7521.jpg

By the time I was back in the resort, wife was already awake, but kid was sleeping. So made a cup for coffee for ourselves and sat on the balcony for half an hour soaking in the fresh air that came off from the forests.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7534.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7536.jpg

After breakfast made the day’s plan – visit Morgan house, the Army golf course and Durpin monastery and on the way down visit the market. All these “touristy” places were nearby and by 2 PM we had completed the “circuit”. So, went to Gompu’s yet again.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7541.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7547.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7550.jpg

This time we ordered for Chowmein and chicken with vegetables. After lunch we strolled around the market place. Gompu’s is located at the center of the town and whereas the food and environment are average – yet there was a positive vibe about the place that came from the buzzing customers.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7520.jpg

We went for dinner around 9ish. And ordered for Kebabs, Tandoori roti and the Bengali styled Kosha Mangsho with Potato chunks. Had a few drinks too. Overall great food, accentuated by great ambience and service. Had Gulab Jamun as dessert. Loved every bit of it.

Day Five: Kalimpong to Chamong Chiabari [Around 65 kms, 4 hours]
The hospitality at Sinclairs had left us impressed. The service, facilities, ambience, infrastructure, food – it was value for money redefined. In fact, both of us felt, that it was better than the Elgin hotels where we had stayed earlier. Plus the weather too had been great and everything combined to make the stay just as we had thought it would be.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7564.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7568.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7570.jpg

So, we started around 11 AM from Kalimpong in anticipation of an even greater experience at the next place of stay: Chamong Chiabari – which is a resort located in one of the tea gardens operated by the Chamong tea company.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7551.jpg

Down we went through the Kalimpong road to Teesta Bazaar and took the Peshok road. Stopped mid-way at a tea shop amidst beautiful tea gardens sloping up and down hill. A light breeze was blowing all along and sitting on a bench we were enjoying the cup of tea. But then tea led to lets have some maggi and so we had maggi once again.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7552.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7553.jpg

The clouds and fog started gathering thereafter and not for a moment in the next (almost) thirty-six hours could we see the sun. Went up till Jorebungalow and then took the road downhill till Sukhia Pokhari. The road to Chamong is on the left of Sukhia Pokhari and as we went for a couple of kilometers, the road deteriorated badly. After quite a bit of miscommunication and bad roads we finally reached our destination Chamong Chiabari – cold and hungry.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-20181023_075407.jpg

We were upgraded to a “Suite” room that was great and sandwiches, Darjeeling tea were provided as evening snacks. Here too there was a small balcony from where twinkling lights of the villages nearby could be seen. Dinner call was at 9.30 PM and after a nice dinner we were off to sleep.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7554.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-_dsc7562.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-20181022_215657.jpg

Day Six: Around Chamong Chiabari
The next day when we woke up it was cloudy. Initially we had planned to go to Darjeeling. But the bad roads put us off. Instead, we spent the day walking around the tea garden, photographing a nearby temple and going to Pokhriabong for some errands.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-20181023_092958.jpg
Outdoor breakfast.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-20181023_145150.jpg
Lunch at Khanna Hotel, Bagdogra. During return.

The most interesting among all of these activities were obviously the photo shoot in the adjoining tea garden , but was later warned that the tea gardens are infested with poisonous snakes. Far beyond, through the view finder zoomed, I could see small and colourful houses that dotted the slopes; mist that came down from the top. A valley floor also could be seen at a distance – a river snaking its way through forest lands and sandy shores.

Whereas the experience at Sinclairs was rewarding, the same cannot be said of Chamong. Chamong was pretty expensive and not value for money, service isn’t upto the mark. But the location of the resort is scenic and the rooms are good.Also very interesting was the food. Dosas and omelettes being whipped up for breakfast, Darjeeling tea available ‘on tap’.

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-20181023_1452060.jpg

Durga Puja drive to Kalimpong & Chamong, WB-20181024_121332.jpg
Aloo Parantha at BP Moregram

Day Seven: Chamong to Malda
That day was bright and sunny and after breakfast in the lawn, started the car. And it was a usual run to Golden Park, Malda where we stayed the night. Next day we started for home and except a 45 mins hold up at Farraka we had a smooth run towards the city.

Mod's note: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for this brilliant travelogue with beautiful pictures, sayakc! A week, well-spent.

Another stunner from you. Your narration has got a style of it's own and i simply love it. It portrays your passion to travel.

The pics are as-usual a treat to the eyes.

Will be looking forward to many more such travelogues from you in the future.

Another wonderful travelogue with beautiful pictures. I had never heard of Chamong before, so thanks for adding another destination to our next trip. As you have mentioned that the resort was not value for money, might just visit the place and come back as it looks really beautiful in your pictures.

Superb write up and excellent pictures Sayak. Always a big fan of your travelogues. Looking forward to more such in the future

Thank You Amit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amit_Kapoor4750 (Post 4489530)
Thanks for this brilliant travelogue with beautiful pictures, sayakc! A week, well-spent.

Thank you Samba and BlackPearl. Coming from D-BHPians like you means a lot.

BP, the Chamong area has nice tea gardens and all and will surely be a sight.
You may also try another place Samabeyong Tea Gardens near Lava - we stayed there for 3 nights sometime back and it was a great experience for us.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 4489715)
As you have mentioned that the resort was not value for money, might just visit the place and come back as it looks really beautiful in your pictures.

Thank you Dada! Hope to read you Puri travelogue soon.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Safedriver76 (Post 4490952)
Superb write up and excellent pictures Sayak. Always a big fan of your travelogues. Looking forward to more such in the future

Cheers,
Sayak

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayakc (Post 4485686)
... The clouds and fog started gathering thereafter and not for a moment in the next (almost) thirty-six hours could we see the sun. Went up till Jorebungalow and then took the road downhill till Sukhia Pokhari. ...

Your photographs are soothing for the eyes! Some of them literally appear to be like paintings drawn on the canvas! The natural beauties of the Himalayas are quite aptly captured by your frames. Keep travelling (without getting your license suspended :) ) and keep posting!

Best,

Yet another Beautiful blog from you mate. Loved the narration , could relate as well.
Keep travelling and sharing such wonderful blogs. Rated 5*

Lovely write up Sayak along with beautiful pictures. Both the properties you stayed at look awesome. Will visit them next time we are there. Good see a relaxed vacation without too much driving involved everyday.

Keep sharing more.

Cheers,

Pawan

An excellent travelogue with amazing photographs. I read almost all of your travelogues. I must say I am a big fan of your narration and photographs. Thanks for sharing. Rated five stars.

Thank You Golam-da. And more thanks for keeping us regularly updated with the NH 34 updates which has always played a key role in making the preparations. where are you off to this year? Last year being fruitful with drives and treks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmhossain (Post 4491537)
Your photographs are soothing for the eyes! Some of them literally appear to be like paintings drawn on the canvas!

Thank You Aritra . I too keep following your Hyderabad-Kolkata runs and beyond and must say that your recent travelogue trending on Team-BHP is a great one indeed. May be someday I will want to do long overnight runs inspired by guys like you, Pawan, BP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARAY (Post 4491546)
Yet another Beautiful blog from you mate. Loved the narration , could relate as well.
Keep travelling and sharing such wonderful blogs. Rated 5*

Thank you sir. My wife prefers relaxed holidays and since I get the freedom to go on my treks, I have to keep her wishes :) . Sit on the balcony - read a book - drink coffee and tea - and sometimes whisky - and good food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBravo (Post 4492088)
Lovely write up Sayak along with beautiful pictures. Both the properties you stayed at look awesome. Will visit them next time we are there. Good see a relaxed vacation without too much driving involved everyday.

Keep sharing more.

Cheers,

Pawan

Thank you SJM. Glad that hear it from you. I am presently penning down an travelogue of the Rupin Pass trek which I did in end-September.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJM1214 (Post 4492435)
An excellent travelogue with amazing photographs. I read almost all of your travelogues. I must say I am a big fan of your narration and photographs. Thanks for sharing. Rated five stars.