Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2018, 16:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2302.jpg

Located about 80 kms from the Brisbane CBD is the smallest of the 3 sand islands surrounding Queensland’s coastline. With its beautiful beaches, as well as accessibility to the mainland via the bridge, Bribie island is a popular getaway spot for locals as well as visitors.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2830.jpg

Those who have been following my write-ups would remember the first time I visited this island, and chose to explore it via the 4x4 track. High on both adrenaline as well as foolishness, a friend and I attempted this in a Subaru XV AWD, a car which was built for a different purpose, as we now know too well. Needless to say, this was a lesson in what not to attempt when unprepared. Come to think of it, we didn’t air down, no recovery gear, and absolutely no idea of what we had embarked upon.

The details from that adventure are documented in this post. Don't miss this lesson on what NOT to do when you decide to go offroading.
Trip to Bribie Island (The Brisbane Chronicles EDIT : Team-BHP Meet/Drive)

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th November 2018 at 09:30.
benbsb29 is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 16:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane

Fasttrack to a few years later, and I now had my own 4WD - one more suited to challenges such as these. However, the events from the last attempt, as well as inexperience meant that as much as Bribie was calling, I had to say no. Challenges are meant to be overcome, and inexperience can always be fixed. With that thought in my head, I decided this was something I had to do. No point having a 4WD if you don’t put it through its paces.

I asked around at work, and a colleague who lives nearby was happy to tag along in his Ford Ranger, just in case I got stuck.

A date was set, and while we counted down the days, I went about building up on my recovery gear. I added an air compressor, tyre gauge, as well as recovery gear including tow rope, shackles, spade etc.

To drive your 4WD on these beaches, you need to apply for a permit online, which involves details of the vehicle as well as driver. This is important as there are rangers who would check these permits at times. Once the permit is obtained, you can print and attach it to the left bottom corner of the windshield or even get a sticker from the information office before you get to the beach.

My daughter joined me on the day, and was quite excited with the prospect of off-roading. My colleague was accompanied by his brother who brought along their fatbikes so they could ride on the sand,

First stop was to air down the tyres.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2818.jpg

As they say, inexperience shows, and in the process of airing down, I nearly lost the tyre valve on one of the tyres. My friend was quick to help plug it and recover the valve, else the story could have been quite different. Once done, I slotted the car into 4H, and we were off.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2805.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2804.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th November 2018 at 17:35.
benbsb29 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 17:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

As much as I was inexperienced on the soft sand, I knew the basics of off-roading, Steady throttle, and choosing the right tracks on the sand meant I was doing quite well.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2806.jpg

My friend in his Ranger ahead of us told us he kept checking his rearview mirror, and was happy to see us always right behind.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2812.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2817.jpg

The inland track is quite long, and the sand is quite soft in some places. Occasionally, you find a vehicle stuck, but usually there were people and cars around to help. Reminded me of the experience from my first trip on the sand.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2810.jpg

A bit of tossing, turning, sliding and wincing.. but I never completely reduced throttle pressure. Just when I thought we would be bogged, the tyres dug in, clawed out some traction, and we moved forward. After what seemed like an eternity, we saw the first glimpse of the beach.

Here’s a short video I had made then:

Once we got to the beach, it was relatively smooth. Driving along the more compact sand, it was almost like driving on tarmac.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2823.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th November 2018 at 17:30.
benbsb29 is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 17:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Some snaps from the time at the beach:

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2843.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2844.jpg

War ruins of the bunkers from the World War

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2289.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2333.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2826.jpg

When returning, we took a different route, skipping the inland 4WD track. This one is a shorter 4WD track, and you exit onto Woorim beach, which is where all the non 4x4 folks congregate.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_2861.jpg

Route of our trip. You can see the distance covered on the inland track, as well as the straightforward run along the beach on the return.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-screenshot_20170313083027.png

Before we got back to the road, it was time to air up. From here, my friend bade farewell, while we continued towards home, to find a place to pressure wash the car after the beach trip.

What was most important was the fact that we had conquered that challenge - one that had dented our pride, and cost both us, as well as those who rescued us a fair bit of time.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3732.jpg

Bribie Island 4WDing – check!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th November 2018 at 19:07.
benbsb29 is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 18:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

TIME TO DO IT AGAIN !!

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_5451-copy-copy.jpg

As they say, you do it once, and you want to do it again. That kinda sums up my thoughts as far as visiting Bribie Island goes. It was therefore inevitable that I visit there again. The next two times were without any backup recovery vehicle. I was counting on my experience as well as basic recovery gear to get me out of trouble if I did end up getting stuck. Worst case, I request the support of a fellow off-roader.

Some pics from the following trips:

Airing down

The scene here feels like a Mitsubishi owners group meet. However, this was truly unintentional. Just goes to show the popularity of the Japanese brand in Australia, and more so in the 4WDing circles.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3762.jpg

Congregation at the beach being a public holiday

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3683.jpg

Wildlife on the beach - large lizards

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3695.jpg

Time for sandcastles - Game of Thrones?

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3698.jpg

Beside one of the lagoons

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3710.jpg

Quite a crowded day at the beach

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3729.jpg

Made acquaintance with these families originally from New Zealand. I spent a good amount of time enjoying their hospitality while my daughter played with their kids.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3730.jpg

World War bunkers

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4174.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4176.jpg

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th November 2018 at 19:05.
benbsb29 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 18:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_5494-copy1.jpg

On the second instance, we actually got stopped for checking by the rangers along the beach. They made sure we weren't speeding, looked for a valid permit and then waved us on.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-jftq2633.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-xgfo3119.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-ycxr2693.jpg

Do note that when driving along the beach, all regular road rules apply, including speed limits indicated along the beach.

Some more pics from the last couple of trips:

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4158.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4164.jpg

A wild turkey along the beach

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_5502.jpg

Posing before the war bunker

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4182.jpg

After spending a good amount of time on the beach, we decided to return, so as to avoid getting caught in the tide.

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4166.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_5506.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4168.jpg

Paddle-boarding with friends

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4172.jpg

Moving away from the crowds - Solitude

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4175-copy.jpg

From one Pajero to another - mutual respect!

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4178.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4177.jpg

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_4197.jpg

Blue skies, golden sand.. heavenly!

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_5468.jpg

Making our way back to town limits

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3757.jpg

Airing up, back to road tyre pressures

Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane-img_3760.jpg

Thanks for reading, and looking forward to the next trip.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th November 2018 at 19:11.
benbsb29 is online now   (45) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 09:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 10:51   #8
BHPian

Crisp photo log, Thanks for sharing snaps of Australia.

Do you advice any suggestions/precautions while driving on beach sand. What is the extent of deflation needed, any thumb rules on that ?
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 09:35   #9
BHPian

Re: Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane

Nice pictures and does look like a ton of fun!
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 09:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing Benny, looks like a very beautiful place, and completely free from plastic waste. Its time for you to now look for some larger off-roading adventures !

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th November 2018 at 10:45. Reason: Fixing autocorrect Offloading to off-roading.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 10:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
completely free from plastic waste
That's the one thing that caught my eye too,
No litter, cleanliness everywhere.

@Benbsp29, a great thread, eagerly waiting for your next adventure.

p.s. These "GODZILLA" lizards are there in my sector too, in Greater Noida, Imagine my agony (I am afraid of reptiles)
Nitish.arnold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 10:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Bribie Island 4WDing – check!
Nice one Benny. Any plans to drive South during school holidays?
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

There just isn't a better country to own a 4x4 in than Australia!

Great to see you have fun with a capable vehicle. Have you added sand ladders to your recovery gear? With decent 4 wheeling experience and sand ladders you could easily do trails like this yourself (that is of course when you just can't get a second vehicle to accompany you).

I, in fact, went dune bashing in the Thar desert on my own with just sand ladders and shovel. You'd be surprised that in those 2 days of dune bashing, I got stuck 3 times and one time it was super hard to get out but sand ladders and shovel turned out to be perfect for solo 4 wheeling.

When can we see the Fraser Island travelogue though?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 13:28   #14
BHPian

Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your wonderful day at the beach! The soft sand approach road to the beach was particularly very interesting. Must be so much fun to work up your way to the beach. Loved the Pajero clicks, unstoppable
scwagh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 15:09   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Crisp photo log, Thanks for sharing snaps of Australia.

Do you advice any suggestions/precautions while driving on beach sand. What is the extent of deflation needed, any thumb rules on that ?
Thanks Thermodynamics.

The rule of thumb i follow is to deflate the tyres to about 20-25 psi. Too low means you run the risk of ripping the tyres off the wheel when taking turns. If you do get stuck, and cannot free yourself without the help of another vehicle or any other aids, carefully drop the psi even further, somewhere around 15 psi or so. Make sure you only drive straight at this point to get yourself out.

Besides dropping the tyre pressures, the other step i perform is to turn off the ASC. In most cars this turns back on when you restart the car after turning it off. If you are still engaging in sand driving, don't forget to disable it till completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Nice pictures and does look like a ton of fun!
Thanks deepfreak. It was indeed a whole lot of fun. It was a bit daunting initially, and there are times when you just feel the traction is about to give way, leaving you beached. Then magic happens, and you are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Thanks for sharing Benny, looks like a very beautiful place, and completely free from plastic waste. Its time for you to now look for some larger off-roading adventures !
Thanks for the kind words, Arijit. Bribie Island is indeed an awesome place.
From what i have seen, most people take great pride in leaving their surroundings cleaner than when they got there, and such public spaces are no different. As far as waste goes, we carry it back, and i even try to segregate the recyclable stuff prior to disposing.

We go offroad quite often, however nothing hardcore as this is my primary vehicle doing all sort of duties including the school runs, grocery shopping, weekend endeavours, and highway munching.

Beach runs are cool, as there is lower risk of damaging the vehicle provided basic caution is exercised. The wash on return, including the underbody, however is critical.
benbsb29 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed