Team-BHP - Wanderlust Traveler: Gokarna beach hopping
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Wanderlust Traveler: Gokarna beach hopping (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/205103-wanderlust-traveler-gokarna-beach-hopping-2.html)

Superb travelogue with wonderful pictures!

Loved the small streets of the town. After an overdose of a city that is buzzing with action 24 hours a day, a sleepy town like Gokarna is a welcome change.

The beach looks a lot less crowded than the ones in Goa. Pity about the garbage though. I guess with an increasing number of tourists, this is just bound to happen. It's sad that we just can't keep public properties clean.

What I like most is how green the countryside looks overall. Good job to have preserved the green cover.

Your pics reminded me of the solo trip done way back in 2015. Just like I too had visited Gokarna as a temple town in 1998 with parents.

I stayed at some shack on Om beach. It was a bad decision as the shack was infested with bugs. On further queries, most of the shacks are bug infested. I am glad that a clean property named Zostel opened over there.

I trekked from Om beach to paradise and back on same day. IMHO, the 500 INR charge was very high charged by Zostel. The trek part is well marked and there are always people on trail.

Wow, lovely travelogue! Rated 5*.

Facebook is filled with the 10 years old and current pic comparison challenge, while this travelogue gave me a chance to share pics from Om beach Gokarna, 10 years back!

Pics from 2009!
Wanderlust Traveler: Gokarna beach hopping-380098_247798011958766_1503257151_n.jpg

Wanderlust Traveler: Gokarna beach hopping-403215_247799655291935_1621293572_n.jpg

Mine was a weekend trip covering Jog falls, Murdeshwara, Gokarna & Karwar. We stayed at hotel Gokarna International at Kudle beach.

Thanks for sharing this travelogue. Memories with my old friends and my Alto got refreshed! Even we had a great time at Namaste Cafe!

I have been to Gokarna about 3 years back while touring to mangalore.
I should say I have been none of the places you mentioned except the temple and it has changed a lot now.
Nice travelogue with all information. Thanks for it. Its time to plan again now.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 4526961)
Goa or Gokarna?

This is a common question one comes across, however apart from geographical proximity, there isn't anything common between both the locations.
maps[/list]

As always, a very informative travelogue. Since you touched upon the topic of comparing Gokarna with Goa, I have a similar question.
What is the incremental benefit Gokarna gives compared to north Kerala? There are many beach resorts now in Kannur and most of them are beach facing. Charges are much less. Apart from the fact that you need to buy your booze from disgusting beverages outlets :), I see no other negatives. With a new airport coming up in Kannur, do you think it will lead to an increase in tourists?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandrda (Post 4528525)
Hardly anybody used the beach and the road to the beach itself was through the town.
Everything changed from 2004 onwards as more and more Russians started visiting Gokarna

Yes, I remember the road you are mentioning. As you said, beach was dirty but not crowded back then.

Along with Russians, saw lot of Israelis too at Gokarna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhileshmdp (Post 4528783)
Have often heard this Goa vs Gokarna question and would completely agree, there is hardly anything common except both being beach towns.

Yes, true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 4528804)
What I like most is how green the countryside looks overall. Good job to have preserved the green cover.

Yes, true. Hope they continue the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rst89 (Post 4528978)
It was a bad decision as the shack was infested with bugs.
I trekked from Om beach to paradise and back on same day. IMHO, the 500 INR charge was very high charged by Zostel. The trek part is well marked and there are always people on trail.

Bed bugs seems to be a common issue across, I read many reviews on Tripadvisor mentioning the same.

Regarding trek charges, yes one can do the trek by themselves. However from Zostel, trekking to Paradise and back is around 8KMs one side. Due to that we decided to take the boat Zostel guys are providing for one side and trek along with their guide on way back.

So this Rs 500 is inclusive of boat charge. Next day, we trekked on the same route till Honey beach by ourselves, as you mentioned trek route is not confusing and can be done without guidance too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 4529066)
Om beach Gokarna, 10 years back!

Is there any place around Bangalore which you have not visited :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmind (Post 4529800)
Thanks for it. Its time to plan again now.:Frustrati

Thanks. Yes, it is a beautiful place. I too want to visit again sometime soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambydude (Post 4530775)
As always, a very informative travelogue. Since you touched upon the topic of comparing Gokarna with Goa, I have a similar question.
What is the incremental benefit Gokarna gives compared to north Kerala? There are many beach resorts now in Kannur and most of them are beach facing. Charges are much less. Apart from the fact that you need to buy your booze from disgusting beverages outlets :), I see no other negatives. With a new airport coming up in Kannur, do you think it will lead to an increase in tourists?

Geographically as you mentioned Gokarna is very similar to any beach in north Kerala. Infact around Bekal there are few good resorts which as you pointed out comes for cheaper rate. However, that said what Gokarna or North KL doesn't have compared to Goa is shacks and party atmosphere.

If you are looking for a cosy beach resort to spend time just lazing around, north KL will be good.

If you are looking for multiple food options, Goa is the place.

Gokarna falls mid way between these too, both in terms of geographical location and magnitude.

Yes, with new airport opening at Kannur tourism should boom around there. However, it is bit early to see the outcome.

Thank you for the very detailed and informative travelogue. :thumbs up Gokarna and the other beaches are added to my wish list, of places to travel to.
The narrow trails between the beaches look quite nice as well.

I have visited the North Kerala beach resorts and yes, they are quite cheap and laid back. However, the issue of garbage and littering in the beaches is, unfortunately, a rampant issue. It is a result of both people dumping things and also the garbage being washed ashore from towns and cities nearby, more so. 90% of the garbage is plastic - bottles, sacks, slippers. How I wish there was a more effective way of garbage disposal and people were more conscientious about disposing and recycling plastic waste. It sure is a big issue.

It will be good if more decent stay options open up close to these lesser known beaches along the west coast. It would definitely give domestic and international tourism a boost.

Thanks for sharing, and keep traveling and posting. Rated 5 stars!.

Cheerio!:)

Bumping up this old travelogue.
I am planning to drive to Gokarna in April this year with family. I have been to Gokarna many times before as a bachelor but the first time going as a family. I have a few questions
1. I looked up Zostel and they seem to have decent rates for stay. But there is a clause in their website that says "Children below 18 years of age are not permitted entry/stay at any of our hostels, with or without guardians. We do not recommend families."
- While i wait for the staff to get back on my question, did you go as family?
2. What other stay options are there? I used to just land up at Namaste resort and usually was able to find accommodation - is this still true?
3. I am looking at the travel routes. Is google maps completely reliable?
Thanks in advance for the response.

Bumping up this old travelogue.
I am planning to drive to Gokarna in April this year with family. I have been to Gokarna many times before as a bachelor but the first time going as a family. I have a few questions
1. I looked up Zostel and they seem to have decent rates for stay. But there is a clause in their website that says "Children below 18 years of age are not permitted entry/stay at any of our hostels, with or without guardians. We do not recommend families."
- While i wait for the staff to get back on my question, did you go as family?
2. What other stay options are there? I used to just land up at Namaste resort and usually was able to find accommodation - is this still true?

I went by motorcycle last month and the best road option is to go from Bangalore to chitradurga -> chennagiri -> Shimoga -> Jog -> honnavara -> Kumta -> Gokarna

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtonsing (Post 5280080)

try https://vedicvillagegokarna.com/. The homestay in run by Mr Rajeev. He is a great host and his property is located at a nice place (not on the beach though). Food (only veg) is great, and each cottage has a private small pool.

If you are going in a sedan, try to avoid Sirsi ghat, although it is doable. I visited Gokarna in Feb in my Safari Storme and didn't like the ghat section.

P.S. I do not have any commercial interest in Vedic Village, just sharing my experience

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtonsing (Post 5280003)
I looked up Zostel and they seem to have decent rates for stay. But there is a clause in their website that says "Children below 18 years of age are not permitted entry/stay at any of our hostels, with or without guardians. We do not recommend families."

Having stayed at several Zostels, single and with my wife, I can understand why they have that recommendation. The USP of a hostel is cheaper accommodation and meeting fellow travellers. Both made possible by shared common spaces. That encourages that kind of interaction, but that also makes it unsuitable for families who may not want to hang out talking to strangers in the common room, and also may not want to use a row of common bathrooms and showers (though those at every Zostel I've stayed at have been very clean). Another thing is that the mostly early-20s profile of the people who stay at backpacker hostels means communal gatherings and discussions at the terrace and in the common spaces, probably not the ideal settings to have younger children running around. Some Zostels do have separate rooms with attached bathrooms, but again, the real reason to stay at a Zostel is the common areas.

No offence to any parents, but especially in a country like ours there are several nice and safe spaces for families, there are fewer nice budget spaces for independent travellers (that are not shady lodges!). But like the OP mentioned, this particular Zostel seems to have independent cottages, so probably could work out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC (Post 5282369)
try https://vedicvillagegokarna.com/. The homestay in run by Mr Rajeev. He is a great host and his property is located at a nice place (not on the beach though). Food (only veg) is great, and each cottage has a private small pool.

If you are going in a sedan, try to avoid Sirsi ghat, although it is doable. I visited Gokarna in Feb in my Safari Storme and didn't like the ghat section.

P.S. I do not have any commercial interest in Vedic Village, just sharing my experience

Thank you for the option. It looks really interesting. Will get in touch and maybe even stay a day or so with them since by this time I have kind of booked my stay for 3 nights in another place.
I will be in a creta - I think it should be still okay? What other option do I have?

@All, anyone driving to Gokarna and want to drive together, you are more than welcome to join for the drive. My plan is to start around 3/4 am on 9th April and return on 12th April. Call me or WA me on 9980088922

We stayed at the Om beach resort managed by Jungle lodges and the food is awesome there.

Must visit places in Gokarna besides the trek to the beaches of Paradise/half moon /Om and kudle would be the pristine beach near Ankola (40 kms away) called Honey beach.

Must try restaurants are Prema (near Kudle for their mind blowing home made ice creams) and Namaste cafe.