Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2019, 20:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Kodaikanal in a Duster AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

A very detailed travelogue!

Kodaikanal is my favourite destination as it is just 3 hours from my place. And for a person living in 40* C temperatures, Kodaikanal comes as a great relief.

One more thing about driving from Dindigul to Kodaikanal, ascending from foothills you would realise that you can do good speeds on the ghats unlike other hills like the Ooty or the dangerous Kolli hills. It has always been a pleasure driving in Kodaikanal.

The temperature is also pleasant for most of the part. Not too cold and not too warm. And I totally agree with the nature of Kodaikanal people that you have mentioned. They are gentle and very hospitable.
Thanks Prasanna, Kodai is going to be my destination for summers sometimes soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Wonderful pictures & lovely content. Rated 5* without doubt. Last picture is too good. Great work here. Some of the pictures are wallpaper material.

As you from Hyderabad as well, would you mind taking lovely pictures of my car?
Thanks for your kind words.
I will be more than happy to click pictures of your steed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Nice travelogue aray.
I seriously wonder you make the trips so frequently and most of them without breaks.
I am yet to make a visit to kodai. I should plan some time soon in near future.
Have you felt 2 days is too short to cover all places?
Have you missed any nice places because of time constraint?
How would it be taking a zoomcar at kodai for local conveyance?
Will be waiting for your advice.
Thanks a lot
2 days - yes it was short , lots of offbeat tracks around the area, definitely needs more time.
Zoom car - sorry can't say , never used it. But I often find the drivers of those cars overwhelmed specially at mountains. Lot of clutch burns and smoke !

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you for a detailed essay and for those delightful and eye-catching photos.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Wonderful log ARAI, it is a nice overview of Kodaikkanal given the fact it is one of the most beaten destinations in Tamil Nadu. But not many do homework as much as you. Information on access to Berijam lake is useful. 3D rendering of GPX data and Gif animations are your signature. I find them intriguing and therefore have subscribed to your channel.

One question from Berijam lake, is the old British escape route still accessible for trek from Kodaikkanal to Munnar via Berijam lake - Mattupatty dam ? I have read in another thread (munnar to kodaikanal- thro the forest) that HVK Sir did that route in the good-old days on a motorcycle.
I will check with HVK Sir on that but Kodai has lots to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshsom29 View Post
Beautiful Travelogue & has enough info for someone to plan the trip to this gem.

Pictures are drool-worthy & seriously wall paper material.

What a tech & factful touch by GPX renderings, awesome.
Thanks , Sometimes the data speaks for itself. Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I was there in Kodai during the same dates and on the same roads except Berijam, not sure if I crossed your duster somewhere (my ride was a black Fortuner if you happened to notice). I stayed in Hotel Hamas which is right next to the lake on Day 1 and Le Poshe on Day 2. We drove in on 22nd Dec through Vathalagundu Kodai route and exited through Palani route on 24th Dec morning
That's a bad miss maybe someday we shall meet on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Excellent travelogue. The pics are as-usual brilliant with the right amount of description. Rated - 5*

Till date i had a wrong notion that Kodaikanal must be more calm and quiet than the other popular hill-station's but i was wrong! Am left with Kodaikanal memories from the 90's.
Two hours of standing in a que to get the form followed by another 30 mins to get the permit was just too much. Plus from one of your pic, i could see the morning traffic jam with cars parked on both sides of the road.

Now a days i seriously feel, its best to visit popular tourist destination's in off-season.
Thanks man.
You see in this part of the country there is nothing called the off season. We just need an excuse to drive.

Last edited by ARAY : 1st January 2019 at 20:45.
ARAY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 20:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now a days i seriously feel, its best to visit popular tourist destination's in off-season.
Yes Kodai does see its heavy inflow of tourists. But its a place which needs to be savoured in winter when the mercury dips low.

Just like OP mentions, the walk around Kodai lake with "chai" and "pakoda" wallas all around is a moment to be enjoyed. So is the drive to Berijam lake. Yes the entry is crowded. Once past, its a beautiful route to the lake. You drive it or not, it does not matter. But the experience is surreal!

Great travelogue indeed @ARAY. We were there at the exact same time few years back.

Just an observation: Many snaps seem to have extra saturation or sharpening or HDR'isation. (You can see a ghosting effects on the edges). May want to keep these effects low to reduce such artefacts and push the image to a more natural feel? (Have observed the same in your other logs as well.)

Last edited by ampere : 2nd January 2019 at 12:01. Reason: typo fixed
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 21:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice travelogue with some awesome pics and detailed information.

And hats off to you for patiently spending 4 hours to get the permit for Berijam lake. I have been here in 2006 but in a taxi. If I am not wrong, they were giving permits only for the first 20 taxis per day. So, good to know that more vehicles are allowed now.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:52   #19

That is an awesome travelogue. Love those pics, really got the essence of Kodai. I had been to Kodai in 2007 after a stay at Ooty. That was then without my own car. But the winding roads and the chill in the air as you ascend is simply wonderful. You just reminded me of those days. Thanks!
Popeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Till date i had a wrong notion that Kodaikanal must be more calm and quiet than the other popular hill-station's but i was wrong! Am left with Kodaikanal memories from the 90's.

Anytime between now and February-end is the off-season in Kodaikanal. The time in December prior to the Christmas school vacations was also the off-season.

I'm waiting eagerly to take my family to Kodaikanal this February from Chennai. It's a lovely place as long as it's deserted.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 14:10   #21
BHPian

Please avoid Weekends & Public Holidays even in off-season. The experience will be totally different when Kodaikanal has least no of tourist cars. We are lucky to experience it in 80s & 90s on RX100 & Bullet. No check posts for Berijam Lake then.

It's best to avoid it totally in April - May. If you must visit at this time, please take cab or van from your stay & spare yourself from the agony of inching through the traffic in narrow, steep inclines. You may have experienced enough traffic snarls in your city. Don't have to go through the same in ghats. It can easily spoil your view about this place.
viggienomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes Kodai does see its heavy inflow of tourists. But its a place which needs to be savoured in winter when the mercury dips low.

Just like OP mentions, the walk around Kodai lake with "chai" and "pakoda" wallas all around is a moment to be enjoyed. So is the drive to Berijam lake. Yes the entry is crowded. Once past, its a beautiful route to the lake. You drive it or not, it does not matter. But the experience is surreal!

Great travelogue indeed @ARAY. We were there at the exact same time few years back.

Just an observation: Many snaps seem to have extra saturation or sharpening or HDR'isation. (You can see a ghosting effects on the edges). May want to keep these effects low to reduce such artefacts and push the image to a more natural feel? (Have observed the same in your other logs as well.)
Thanks a lot .
You drive it or not, it does not matter. - It does matter to many in this forum, I'm sure. Taking your own vehicle to unknown and offbeat tracks has gained a lot of momentum recently.
Regarding the images I guess you are right , I have uploaded the same images in Instagram and Facebook , no halos around the hills but while compressing to below 3mb before upload has made it loose a lot of the details. I will use a better lossless compression tool .

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Very nice travelogue with some awesome pics and detailed information.

And hats off to you for patiently spending 4 hours to get the permit for Berijam lake. I have been here in 2006 but in a taxi. If I am not wrong, they were giving permits only for the first 20 taxis per day. So, good to know that more vehicles are allowed now.
Thanks a lot.
I feel getting the permit and doing things by yourself on distant lands has its own fun . I heard people say the total number goes upto 180 sometimes but the increment is for the taxis only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
That is an awesome travelogue. Love those pics, really got the essence of Kodai. I had been to Kodai in 2007 after a stay at Ooty. That was then without my own car. But the winding roads and the chill in the air as you ascend is simply wonderful. You just reminded me of those days. Thanks!
Thanks a lot for your kind words.
ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:33   #23
BHPian

Detailed narration and great photography once again Aritra. Rated your thread 5 stars.
Since you have been to Sikkim/North Bengal hills, so, would like to know how steep/narrow are the switchbacks down south when compared to North Bengal/Sikkim hills?

Regards,
Sayak
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 12:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

What a coincidence. I was there at the same time from 22nd till 25th Dec.
We've been to "Munnavanur" and not to "Berijiam". We got to know about the entry after reaching over there. I can imagine the drive to "Berijiam Lake".
The same is the drive to "Munnavanur Lake" as well. Just A-W-E-S-O-M-E view of the lush green forest. Deeply regret staying in B'lore

The rest of the sight-seeings were covered as you mentioned.
And yea, we skipped the "Guna caves" knowing the reviews.

PS: My Vento had crossed 146K Kms with out any fuss.
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 14:22   #25
BHPian

Another gem of a travelogue from you Aritra !! I really enjoy your storytelling and the research behind. The pictures are awesome. I know for sure that I am missing Berijam lake, if I ever go to Kodai. Cannot wait for so long for a lake.

Keep travelling & Writing !!

Cheers,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 17:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Detailed narration and great photography once again Aritra. Rated your thread 5 stars.
Since you have been to Sikkim/North Bengal hills, so, would like to know how steep/narrow are the switchbacks down south when compared to North Bengal/Sikkim hills?

Regards,
Sayak
Thanks a lot Sayak.
Speaking of hairpins and switchbacks both have their own fun but for Hills here the fun lasts for few hours while at Himalayas it can last the entire day.
Road conditions are mostly great at Southern hills but few parts of Himalayas are hot or miss.
Traffic - Except the local cab drivers and few folks, others don't follow the rules of the mountain causing unnecessary jams for 40 mins-1hr ( Ooty, parts of Munnar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
What a coincidence. I was there at the same time from 22nd till 25th Dec.
We've been to "Munnavanur" and not to "Berijiam". We got to know about the entry after reaching over there. I can imagine the drive to "Berijiam Lake".
The same is the drive to "Munnavanur Lake" as well. Just A-W-E-S-O-M-E view of the lush green forest. Deeply regret staying in B'lore

The rest of the sight-seeings were covered as you mentioned.
And yea, we skipped the "Guna caves" knowing the reviews.

PS: My Vento had crossed 146K Kms with out any fuss.
Oh that's a bad miss.
I was told Mannavanur was all covered in mist and fog , just like Poombarai so I skipped. If you don't mind kindly share few pictures to soothe our soul.
It was a very sad miss for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Another gem of a travelogue from you Aritra !! I really enjoy your storytelling and the research behind. The pictures are awesome. I know for sure that I am missing Berijam lake, if I ever go to Kodai. Cannot wait for so long for a lake.

Keep travelling & Writing !!

Cheers,

Pawan
Thanks a lot Papada.
Issue in southern Hill stations is, there are just many spots available and if we skip not much would be left. Hired taxis and cabs also get permit and the drivers get the permit part done by themselves.

Last edited by ARAY : 3rd January 2019 at 17:17.
ARAY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 22:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Very nice travelogue. Glad you had a good time. I studied in Kodai in the 90's and going to Berijam lake was a trip in itself. Was a great drive, not great roads and mystical LOL.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 11:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

An amazing detailed travelogue with excellent photographs.

This T'log has more than enough information to plan a trip to Kodaikanal. Bookmarked this thread and rated five stars. Thanks for Sharing.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 12:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Very nice travelogue. Glad you had a good time. I studied in Kodai in the 90's and going to Berijam lake was a trip in itself. Was a great drive, not great roads and mystical LOL.
Thanks.
Studied in Kodai, woow .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
An amazing detailed travelogue with excellent photographs.

This T'log has more than enough information to plan a trip to Kodaikanal. Bookmarked this thread and rated five stars. Thanks for Sharing.
Thanks kind Sir.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:45   #30
BHPian

Same old Kodai but your pics made a difference, nice photos.
Oh my God, Such a big queue at the DFO for permit ? Issue of permits at Moire' point moves a bit faster I believe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
One question from Berijam lake, is the old British escape route still accessible for trek from Kodaikkanal to Munnar via Berijam lake - Mattupatty dam ?
No, the route doesn't exist and hence not acessible.
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed