Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th January 2019, 15:14   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Bhutan & Nepal | Solo | 9,000 km of Adventure on a KTM Duke

Wow, this is the TBHP equivalent of a century on debut! What a tremendous adventure and I loved reading all your posts. Please do share more photos and details if you can.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 18:07   #32

Default Re: Bangalore to Bhutan & Nepal | Solo | 9,000 km of Adventure on a KTM Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Yes we missed taking out a photo when we met in Paro. Looking forward for new adventures in the coming months.
Thanks Uday Sir. It was great meeting you all and see you riding hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Kids with Duke do illegal street racing and stunts.
Men with Duke do their daily commute with some weekend rides.
Legends with a Duke go for such solo trips.

Hats off to your guts and passion for pulling out such a mega solo trip. Am running short of words on how to convey my feelings!

Rated 5*. Beautiful presentation of an awesome trip.
Thank you Samba for those lovely words. Best thing I read about KTM Dukes on internet today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramji_or View Post
Dude! What a trip! Reading your adventure would definitely kindle the spirits of even a non-biker to try out. Bookmarked the thread with a hope to plan a Bhutan ride of my own, this is such a wealth of information!
Thank you Ramji. I am glad that it is helping people in planning and executing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
Amazing trip Aashish. Enjoyed every picture and word of your travelogue.

The washing bay of KTM looks very unorganized and dirty. Is this a temporary setup or is it normal standard for them?

I am vegetarian so I had tried Bajpayee Kachori at ganj. It was quite amazing. In Nagpur you could have tried Tamatar Pohe / Saoji cuisine although you seems to be rice lover.

Thanks for sharing wonderful trip log.
Thank you dicor. The KTM washing and service bay are looking dirty because they were relocating to the other new showroom which was much advanced and equipped with new machinery.

Bajpayee Kachori at Ganj is very famous as well, used to visit that place a lot while I was in Lucknow. Will try your recommendations, when I am in Nagpur next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratjyo View Post
Marvelous travelogue! Awestruck on seeing you do the Mustang ride solo. Was just thinking what would have been the situation in the river crossing if there was an Enfield in place of the Duke. Would love to do this trip once in my lifetime. Hope this dream will come true for me one day. Keep riding safe !
Thank you Saratjyo for your kind words and reading the T-log. Enfield would have definitely required more than one person to get it out of the stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Spellbinding!

Such a majestic trip report and surely an adventure of a lifetime. You literally transported me to all those places during the read. Hallmark of a bloody good writer.

Covering the length of three countries in such a short period that too on a bike is no mean task. The extreme conditions you braved reminds me of my Nov 2016 Gurudongmar lake trip. I still feel the chills down my bone. As if it isn't painful already, the wind adds to the 'experience'. An open ride in such weather is a far fetched dream for me.

In a not so distant past, just going to those places was an achievement. Slowly we have seen people taking their cars. Now we see a solo bike ride. Have we seen enough already!!! Legendary.

I take my hat off.
Thank you strawhat for those lovely words.
PS : I can still see the hat in the avtaar/profile picture of your's - just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Wow, this is the TBHP equivalent of a century on debut! What a tremendous adventure and I loved reading all your posts. Please do share more photos and details if you can.
Thanks neil.jericho, glad you liked it. Will try to share more pictures and details soon.

I somehow recollect seeing this old blue R15 picture and this ID on xBhp long back during 2008-2011 when I was very active there.

Mod Note
: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th January 2019 at 18:47. Reason: Only two smileys per post.
Aashish_390 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 11:37   #33

Hats off for such an adventurous solo trip and congratulations on completing this circuit.
I have one question, How was the bike's performance in Mustang valley region?
SubhoMoto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 11:52   #34
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, wonderful trip you definitely had that inspired you to jot down such a detailed travelogue with nice pictures to complement, Thanks for sharing

Hats off to you on the planning to execute a solo Biking trip so well

When I read part of your travelogue earlier last week, I wasn't sure if the Uday you mentioned was our very own member @unk9ja, that's confirmed now when I read your TL to the end. And I also read Uday's TL after it went live, double treat for the forum. Thanks again, rating 5*'s!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 14:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashish_390 View Post
Thanks neil.jericho, glad you liked it. Will try to share more pictures and details soon.

I somehow recollect seeing this old blue R15 picture and this ID on xBhp long back during 2008-2011 when I was very active there.
I eagerly look forward to the additional pictures. And yes, guilty as charged. The AGV helmet, DSG jacket and Yamaha R15 have all gone now but the profile picture remains the same on both xbhp and TBHP. I too used to be quite active on xbhp in the same time frame as you mentioned.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 14:41   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashish_390 View Post
"If you’ve been putting off a trip because you’re waiting for someone to go with — stop. Just go. Don’t let others hold you back from your dreams. Trust me, along the way you’ll make plenty of friends — from other solo travelers who thought “Screw it, if I don’t go, I’ll never go” to locals interested in meeting new people. You’re never alone when you travel.
Congratulations Aashish! What a fantastic travelogue. And you have penned it down crisply. Hats off to your spirit and determination! Thank you for sharing.

Couple of questions I have :-
1. The Duke is exactly not a comfortable tourer. Is there anything specific you do, like say, taking a break after X kms / hours or a routine you follow so that it does not take a toll on your back?
2. May I know the brand of your saddle bag? Did it stay fine without a saddle stay? I noticed you didn't have one on your bike.
jusgetgoing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 15:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Wow, what a fantastic write up! No words to describe. Hats off to the solo adventure - that too, covering Nepal, Bhutan, and Mustang in one shot.

Thank you for putting all the details, I am sure this thread will be a ready reckoner for many travelers.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2019, 18:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I have been dreaming about crossing the country on my motorcycle since a very long time. I was too stubborn to do it alone, as I always wanted to do it solo. I have pulled of a couple of long solo rides in the past all across India, so it wasn’t tough to convince family. The feeling when you start from your home to be on the road for the next 30 days covering all sorts of climatic conditions is scintillating. As soon as you make progress, you tend to become more confident about your ride and everything related to your ride
Some travelogues are just "nice", some are "wow"; then there are the rare ones which just make you go *jaw-drop-slow-claps. No need to elaborate which type of travelogue this is. Right from the planning, execution, reaction under pressure, everything was epic. Hats off to you, sir ��.
While there is no doubt about the capability of the Duke 390 for long road-tripping (power, handling & braking wise), I'm very much interested to know about its comfort. It's well known that the seat is on the harder side. Coupled with the rear set foot pegs, does this result in any discomfort which one has to get used to?
Also considering the Duke is recommended to be refueled with premium petrol, were you able to stick to the same all the way through, or did you put normal petrol as well? Did it affect the performance/mileage/NVH in any way?

Last edited by superbad : 14th January 2019 at 18:13.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2019, 12:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubhoMoto View Post
I have one question, How was the bike's performance in Mustang valley region?
Thank you. The performance of the bike in Mustang was a little sluggish due to higher altitude, but overall it performed really well throughout. It was easy to handle the motorcycle on terrains like those with ample amount of torque. I did not face any issues with the motorcycle apart from the underbelly which got a few big blows from stones due to not much ground clearance. I tried avoiding the damage by riding really slow on those terrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
Congratulations Aashish! What a fantastic travelogue. And you have penned it down crisply. Hats off to your spirit and determination! Thank you for sharing.

Couple of questions I have :-
1. The Duke is exactly not a comfortable tourer. Is there anything specific you do, like say, taking a break after X kms / hours or a routine you follow so that it does not take a toll on your back?
2. May I know the brand of your saddle bag? Did it stay fine without a saddle stay? I noticed you didn't have one on your bike.
Thank you justgetgoing for the kind words. Here are the answers :

1. The riding posture of Duke 390 will not take a toll on your back ever, as its upright and comfortable but it will be your bottom which will take all the beating due to hard seat. I am somehow used to it now and don't use anything than just a simple BTwin cycling shorts with a pad which our member unk9ja suggested long back. It doesn't help much though IMO but better than a boxer inside a riding pant. When it comes to taking breaks, Duke is blessed to have a smaller tank of capacity ~10 Ltrs, hence you need to refuel at every 200 Kms and that acts as a small break. It's very annoying at times - hunting a fuel pump every 200 kms.

2. The saddlebag which I am using is Viaterra Velox - these are made exclusively for just old generation dukes and does not require any saddle stay.

PS : There are a couple of solutions for hard seats which are available in the market like "Ride on Air" cushion which can be used to provide some comfort along with Gel seats and Gel shorts to help the rider on long rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
While there is no doubt about the capability of the Duke 390 for long road-tripping (power, handling & braking wise), I'm very much interested to know about its comfort. It's well known that the seat is on the harder side. Coupled with the rear set foot pegs, does this result in any discomfort which one has to get used to?
Also considering the Duke is recommended to be refueled with premium petrol, were you able to stick to the same all the way through, or did you put normal petrol as well? Did it affect the performance/mileage/NVH in any way?
Thank you superbad, glad you liked it.

Seats as I described above - can be modified or coupled with a few after market accessories to reduce the hardness, however my bike is running on the stock setup and I am used to it now after 60K Kms on it.

In Nepal you wont get premium fuel so I was filling normal unleaded fuel. The quality of fuel and overall fuel pumps infrastructure has been described in the log and its really shady in Nepal. KTM's don't require premium fuel and do just fine on normal fuel as well, so that wasn't a problem. I didn't face any issues in performance/mileage etc. however, as described earlier the bike failed to start at KTM Lucknow after a wash but that was due to dirt and muck I believe, which got sorted later.
Aashish_390 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 13:11   #40

Thumbs up Re: Bangalore to Bhutan & Nepal | Solo | 9,000 km of Adventure on a KTM Duke

what an amazing T-log, absolutely breathtaking pics and just awesome grit and determination to do it solo, hats off and keep posting more of such lovely stuff, kudos and Godspeed till the next one!

P.S: Information regarding paperwork and permits are very useful for future travelers, cheers!
Deepak Saligram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 21:25   #41
BHPian

I think most bikers have an itch to go beyond the ordinary and riding beyond our borders fits the bill. You have knocked two international destinations at one go and set a bar which will be difficult to reach! Kudos, what a ride!

Did the Bhutanese immigration officers give you any grief for traveling solo? Have heard that off late, they have not been very encouraging of solo bikers.

Ride safe.
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote