Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2019, 11:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Trip to Birders Heaven - Costa Rica

Brilliant ! Much Thanks ! I have started loving their beauty after a visit to Bharatpur bird sanctuary . Black vulture gave me creepiness :-)
Old 25th January 2019, 13:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Brilliant ! Much Thanks ! I have started loving their beauty after a visit to Bharatpur bird sanctuary . Black vulture gave me creepiness :-)
You are welcome.

Yeah... Vulture is quite a creature!!!

Cheers!
Old 25th January 2019, 14:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Birds of Costa Rica

A few photos from my foray into the forests of South India.

Attachment 1839991
Wow, wow, wow! too good.

What a great set of pictures, very rare to see such variety in such good quality
5 Stars all the way.

Can you tell me what is it that the Hawk is holding on to in the first picture?

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 15:16   #19
BHPian

Refreshing to see such a brilliant photologue. Excellent pictures. That first picture set the tone. Thanks for sharing.
kskthere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 18:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Wow, wow, wow! too good.

What a great set of pictures, very rare to see such variety in such good quality
5 Stars all the way.

Can you tell me what is it that the Hawk is holding on to in the first picture?

- Slick
Thank you so much for the appreciation and the 5 starts @Slick

That's one of the more dramatic wildlife moments for me, the eagle was actually holding a large Malabar Squirrel kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskthere View Post
Refreshing to see such a brilliant photologue. Excellent pictures. That first picture set the tone. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the appreciation... Glad you like them
Venom_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 19:41   #21
BHPian

Ohh, The malabar squirrel is not that small an anima, the bird must be big.
Thanks for the information.

- Slick
Old 27th January 2019, 21:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Ohh, The malabar squirrel is not that small an anima, the bird must be big.
Thanks for the information.

- Slick
Yup... Legge's Hawk Eagle.

A fairly large bird of prey.

Cheers!
Old 30th January 2019, 21:56   #23
BHPian

Thank you for sharing such wonderful pics. Excellent and spell bound. No more words to describe the photos. And admire that you have taken time to study the names of all of them. Keep them coming.
i20ian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:50   #24
BHPian

Whoa... what pics... mind blowing. Doesn't look like this hobby was started recently. Excellent pics. Keep travelling, keep wowing us
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 07:55   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Day 4:
My friend in Costa Rica drove us to this place called "Paraiso Quetzal Lodge", which was about 85KMS from our hotel. The lodge is admist prime Quetzal territory at an elevation of about 9......Hope to share more from our South Indian forests soon.
Cheers! Goutham

Great photologue & splendid captures, Venom rider! I remember reading (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl) that Quetzalcoatl is a prominent South / Central American deity of wind, air and learning! I wonder if the bird Quetzal has some link to the deity, just as our epics (and mythologies round the world) are replete with analogies between animals and deities.

Last edited by shashanka : 1st February 2019 at 08:01.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 14:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Thank you for sharing such wonderful pics. Excellent and spell bound. No more words to describe the photos. And admire that you have taken time to study the names of all of them. Keep them coming.
Thank you i20ian... To be honest, I did enjoy learning more about these birds, just as much as I enjoyed clicking their photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
Whoa... what pics... mind blowing. Doesn't look like this hobby was started recently. Excellent pics. Keep travelling, keep wowing us
Thank you @Streetfighter! I have been interested in photography for a very long time now and learnt the basics in prosumer camera. This is one of the first few trips in my own serious gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Great photologue & splendid captures, Venom rider! I remember reading (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl) that Quetzalcoatl is a prominent South / Central American deity of wind, air and learning! I wonder if the bird Quetzal has some link to the deity, just as our epics (and mythologies round the world) are replete with analogies between animals and deities.
That piqued my interest... from the same link:

Quote:
Animals thought to represent Quetzalcoatl include resplendent quetzals, rattlesnakes (coatl meaning serpent in Nahuatl), crows, and macaws. In his form as Ehecatl he is the wind, and is represented by spider monkeys, ducks, and the wind itself.[10] In his form as the morning star, Venus, he is also depicted as a harpy eagle.[11] In Mazatec legends, the astrologer deity Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli, who is also represented by Venus, bears a close relationship with Quetzalcoatl.
So, it looks like the deity has references from several animals and birds endemic to Central / South Americas.

Thank you for bringing up the topic!
Venom_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 15:20   #27
BHPian

Great pics sir! Beauty at its best!!!
Can see the efforts you had put in for getting the snaps in best quality. Thanks a ton for sharing.
I just downloaded all the pics and set them as wall paper carousel.
Well deserved for 5-star.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 15:43   #28
BHPian

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I can see a very perceptible difference in nature of the images going going from day 1 to day 4, particularly the depth information!
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 13:09   #29
BHPian

Very good photos, Venom_rider. Costa Rica is indeed a great place for birding. Some of my friends have been there and returned with some really amazing images. It is up there on my bucket list and I hope to visit some day.

Were you part of a group of people on the birding tour together or were you on your own? How about the logistics for this trip, planning, identifying places to stay, etc.? Some details on this would be welcome.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 22:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Great pics sir! Beauty at its best!!!
Can see the efforts you had put in for getting the snaps in best quality. Thanks a ton for sharing.
I just downloaded all the pics and set them as wall paper carousel.
Well deserved for 5-star.
Thank you for the appreciation and the 5-stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I can see a very perceptible difference in nature of the images going going from day 1 to day 4, particularly the depth information!
Thank you Miyata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Very good photos, Venom_rider. Costa Rica is indeed a great place for birding. Some of my friends have been there and returned with some really amazing images. It is up there on my bucket list and I hope to visit some day.

Were you part of a group of people on the birding tour together or were you on your own? How about the logistics for this trip, planning, identifying places to stay, etc.? Some details on this would be welcome.
Hey Stryker... Nice to see your reply. Absolutely loved your narrative of the Masai Mara trip and the photos from your trips to Kabini.

Like I mentioned in the opening post, I travel to Costa Rica for work. These birding trips were during the weekends in between (lucky me, huh?). I went along with a birder named Randal Ortega because the feedback on tripadvisor was great for him and it turned out to be true. If you are interested, I can pass his contact information.

I stayed in a place called La Selva Biological Station, this is primarily a reasearch centre and there are several guides so you don't really need to take someone along with you.

For the Quetzals, we went on a day trip to a place called: "Paraiso Quetzal Lodge". The guide there took us to a place where the birds are known to frequent.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks