Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2019, 19:06   #1
BHPian

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand

Just imagine this itinerary:

Day 1: 9 hours drive + 5 km trekking
Day 2: 15 km trekking + 9 hours drive back home

Sounds crazy? This is how our first trekking turned out to be.

Vlogs

We compiled our experience into two videos. Looking forward to your feedback on these.

Day 1

We wanted to start our trekking journey with an easy trek. So, we chose Nag Tibba.

Trek for Nag Tibba starts from Pantwari which is about 3.5 hours from Dehradun. Generally, you would take a bus or train to Dehradun and then reach Pantwari from there by road.

But, we thought why not drive from Delhi. We could reach in 8 hours if we leave early and avoid Delhi traffic. And most importantly we would get to drive in the mountains. So, the plan was to start at around 4 AM, so as to reach Pantwari by 12 - 1 PM.

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-screenshot-mar-10-180805.png

Unfortunately, I could not sleep at all that night. At around 3 AM I woke up my wife and asked her we should leave now. We can reach the Base Camp early and rest there. By the time we left it was around 4.45 AM (late again).

Anyway, so our journey started. Our car broke down on midway (loose tyre) somewhere on Upper Ganga Canal Road. Sleep also created issues and Google Maps had mind of it’s own. But, when the Uttarakhand roads came and it was magical. Driving alongside Yamuna River, on smooth roads covered with lush green forests, and among the grandeur of the Himalayas - it turned out to be the most beautiful road trip we had till date. We stopped again and again to appreciate the mesmerising views along the road.

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190216_100659.jpg
You can see my sleep deprived eyes

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190216_114708.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190216_114227.jpg

At around 1.30 PM, we reached Pantwari. Our guide was waiting for us. We had some breakfast and then our trek began.

It wasn’t easy, especially when carrying your luggage. The climb was quite steep and the trail was all stony. Every now and then we were taking some rest and drinking water. Luckily our guide was quite a talker and kept us engaged throughout the trek.

As we climbed, the views kept getting better and better. The air was cool and sun was warm - which was helping in relaxing ourselves. We kept pushing ourselves to go little more. First checkpoint was a water point where we refilled our bottles. There we also met other members of our group which gave us little confidence - we were at a decent pace.

Around 5 PM we finally reached our basecamp. And, the place where they had set it up was just perfect.

Basecamps had been shifted little south because of constant snowfall this winter. Generally they would be about 1-2 km more north. It was good for the first day - but it also meant we had to cover more distance on Day 2.

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190216_180318.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190216_180746.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_0147.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_0140.jpg

The arrangement and camp facilities were good. We got chai and pakoras at around 6 PM (a perfect combination in the cold weather). Then, warm soup and pop-corns later after sunset and dinner later at around 9 PM.

There was also campfire organised which gave us some relief from the cold and a chance to get in touch with other trekkers in our group.

We went to sleep at around 9.30. The plan was to start our trek to the summit at 6 AM.

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_0160.jpg

Day 2

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_0164.jpg

That night temperature went to -5 °C. As we would realise later, it was because of snowfall around the summit which resulted in this easy trek turning out to be a lot difficult.

Our plan was to start trek at around 6 AM, but we got late and started at around 7 AM.

The trek was turning out to be easier than yesterday - mostly because we weren’t carrying that much weight - only water bottles and camera equipment.

Initially, the trek was through a thick forest. The silence of the forest was hypnotic. Slowly, and the sun rose, the light came filtered through the trees and what a view it was.

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_0195.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190217_081354.jpg

Gradually the snow started to appear. It was our first time seeing the snow. We were simply excited. Sometime later the land became fully covered in snow and the group stopped there to play in the snow. We were children again for some time. But, it didn’t take us long to realise that the snow was going to make the trek really difficult.

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_0254.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190217_085138.jpg
Trying to get perfect shot for the vlog

At one point, the path divides between the summit and the Nag-Tibba temple. We were going for the summit first.

As we climbed, the snow kept getting deeper and deeper. It was becoming really difficult to climb now. Since such snow is generally not expected in this trek, we didn’t have gaters for our shoes (which would have helped a lot). Our hands had started freezing. Our shoes were all wet and frozen. Our energy had depleted. However, our guide kept pushing us. He was constantly motivating us and helping those who had fallen behind.

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_0310.jpg
Just look at the amount of snow

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190217_092046.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190217_093450.jpg

“How’s the josh? High sir!” this was what we kept shouting whenever we felt demotivated. It had some kind of magical effect - helped us push ourselves.

On our way, we met some people from other trekking groups who said we wouldn’t be able to make it to the summit as the snow is too deep. At some points, it was almost 3 feet deep. It was a little demotivating but we had promised ourselves that we would try our best to reach the summit.

The summit finally became visible. It was just a matter of time when we would be at the top. And, when we finally reached the peak - we were dumbstruck by the view. It was the first time we realised how it felt to be at the top of a mountain. We were at top of the world! We could see Nanda-Devi, Kedarnath, Badrinath and Thalay Sagar peaks from there. In the end, it was all worth the effort!

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190217_114804.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190217_114219.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190217_114227.jpg

Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand-img_20190217_114811.jpg

“The best view comes after the hardest climb!”

After spending around 20 mins at the peak, we started our journey back to basecamp. For the first time in our life, coming down proved to be more difficult than going up. Going down, our shoes started slipping and we were falling every now and then. Our hands had literally frozen and swelled.

After some time, we had stopped feeling anything and we were just going on our own. After almost 4-5 hours of the climb down we reached basecamp. We had a quick lunch at around 4 PM. The camp had been packed up and everyone was ready to go. We wanted to rest but time was clocking and we had to reach Pantwari as soon as possible. So, immediately after having lunch we left for Pantwari.

Our feet were paining like hell but we kept pushing ourselves. Around 6.30 PM we reached Pantwari. We had successfully completed 15 km trek in one day!!

Now was the big questions - what should be done to reach back home? We surely did not want to stay in Patwari. So, we decided to at least try to reach Dehradun and there decide what to do. We could stay overnight in Dehradun or somehow push ourselves to reach Gurgaon.

I put some Iodex on my feet, drank a RedBull and started driving to Dehradun. After about 3.5 hours we reached Dehradun. We stopped at a cafe to take some rest and decide what to do.

Searching for hotel and settling there would take around 1 - 1.5 hours. In that, we could cover a good amount of distance. I was well awake because of RedBull and the coffee we had at the cafe. So, we decided to continue our journey.

We reached Gurgaon at around 4.30 AM. I was happy that I was able to complete the journey, but I wanted to sleep now! Went straight to bed and fell dead asleep.
shashankjain16 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our crazy first trek to Nag-Tibba, Uttarakhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
Just imagine this itinerary:

Day 1: 9 hours drive + 5 km trekking
Day 2: 15 km trekking + 9 hours drive back home

Sounds crazy? This is how our first trekking turned out to be.
Wow man, hats off. Trekking that too in the snow is very difficult from what I've heard. Kudos to you and your wife!

Quote:
Our feet were paining like hell but we kept pushing ourselves. Around 6.30 PM we reached Pantwari. We had successfully completed 15 km trek in one day!!
Thats the thing, once you are motivated, you just forget everything else and just keep going on. My last trek was ages ago in Chakrata and was the first multi day trek. I was so tired by day 2, but our guides kept motivating us and by next day we were rejuvenated and completed the weeklong trek.

Quote:
Now was the big questions - what should be done to reach back home? We surely did not want to stay in Patwari. So, we decided to at least try to reach Dehradun and there decide what to do. We could stay overnight in Dehradun or somehow push ourselves to reach Gurgaon.

I put some Iodex on my feet, drank a RedBull and started driving to Dehradun. After about 3.5 hours we reached Dehradun. We stopped at a cafe to take some rest and decide what to do.
Wow, that was some daring stuff! I usually don't try to keep myself awake. In dire cases, just park at a petrol pump, recline the seats and take a power nap. Usually more effective and a safer alternative.

Quote:
We reached Gurgaon at around 4.30 AM. I was happy that I was able to complete the journey, but I wanted to sleep now! Went straight to bed and fell dead asleep.
Quite a fast-paced trip there. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the vlog especially.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:15   #3
BHPian

Lovely write up, and brings a lot of memories. We used to do stuff like this during school days. Being my home town -- Mussoorie. Was near to these places. Har ki doon is another lovely hike. Oh, those hills!
Old 11th March 2019, 11:10   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your first trek.

Most of my treks are done like that. Drive through the night, reach base and immediately start the climb. Nag Tibba is a nice trek to begin with, good to see snow there even in March.

This year had been really good in terms of snow; I trekked to Dayara last week, and found more than 3-4 feet of snow beyond Goi camp site.
Old 12th March 2019, 12:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Wow, that was some daring stuff! I usually don't try to keep myself awake. In dire cases, just park at a petrol pump, recline the seats and take a power nap. Usually more effective and a safer alternative.
Yeah! Kind of daring but I was fully awake throughout the ride. If I had felt sleepy anytime, I would have parked the car and taken a nap. Anyway, I think power nap in that would have been a few hours long given how exhausted we were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Har ki doon is another lovely hike. Oh, those hills!
Har ki doon is also on our list. I have seen the pics and I understand the feeling!
shashankjain16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 00:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice vlog Shashank! Hats off for your efforts to drive for so long and still trek on both the days, despite a lot of snow around the summit.

I have worked and stayed in Thatyur (Tehri Garhwal) and as far as I know, the Nag Tibba Temple is easily approachable from Sirs and/or Moldhar villages of this belt. It takes an hour to reach Mussoorie from Dehradun, then another hour till Thatyur and then another hour till any of these villages. Do try those treks too in the future. I haven't done them personally, but I could find out who the local guides or contact persons are if anyone wants to do a trek from those villages.

Keep revving and keep vlogging. Wish you luck with many many more such write ups in the future.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:55   #7
BHPian

What a journey! I’ve always loved long treks and you have just made me more desperate to go on a trek soon! rating 5 stars. Also, you have not mentioned the name of your steed. Do post some pics of the cars you have used

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks