Old 26th March 2019, 10:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Enchanting Tamil Nadu - The Winter Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
Numbers game:
Total Distance: 1,873 Kilometres
Nice travelogue there.

I have a rather basic-sounding question here - please let me know, since ~1900 Km is a lot, what was your average speed on the road measured as distance covered in a typical day versus hours spent on the road on a trip?

I haven't been able to do more than an average of 50 Km/hour. My dad lost his patience with my driving during a 12 hour-650 Km trip recently. I'm trying to understand if that's to do with my self-imposed cruising speed limit of 90 Kmph or if that's the best one can do!

Last edited by locusjag : 26th March 2019 at 10:27.
Old 26th March 2019, 10:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Nice travelogue there.
I haven't been able to do more than an average of 50 Km/hour. My dad lost his patience with my driving during a 12 hour-650 Km trip recently. I'm trying to understand if that's to do with my self-imposed cruising speed limit of 90 Kmph or if that's the best one can do!
I don't want to poach Paradiddle's travelogue for this message. The average speed depends a lot on the road condition, traffic and your car. For example it is normal to do Madras to Coimbatore in about 6-7 hours - a distance of around 550 km. On the other hand it takes about 5 hours to do Madras to Kumbakonam - a distance of 275km.
Another factor most people don't take into consideration is the driving style.

Many people spend way too long in small breaks. Every small break adds up to the overall time. It is not necessary that you have to do insane speed to increase your average speed. Stay in your comfort speed zone - but don't take too long to reach there.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 21:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibi6613 View Post
Beautifully written. I've been to Dhanushkodi and here's the link to my write-up on it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205225

It is such a mesmerizing place. One of the main places to strike off my bucket list was Dhanushkodi. Now that I've done that, I wanna go there again. With a drone. Flying alongside and capturing the beauty from a totally different perspective!
Thank you, Sibi. Yes, I remember reading your travelogue! It was quite cloudy when you travelled there. Throughout my trip, there were hardly any clouds in the sky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Nice travelogue there.

I have a rather basic-sounding question here - please let me know, since ~1900 Km is a lot, what was your average speed on the road measured as distance covered in a typical day versus hours spent on the road on a trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I don't want to poach Paradiddle's travelogue for this message. The average speed depends a lot on the road condition, traffic and your car. For example it is normal to do Madras to Coimbatore in about 6-7 hours - a distance of around 550 km. On the other hand it takes about 5 hours to do Madras to Kumbakonam - a distance of 275km.
Another factor most people don't take into consideration is the driving style.

Many people spend way too long in small breaks. Every small break adds up to the overall time. It is not necessary that you have to do insane speed to increase your average speed. Stay in your comfort speed zone - but don't take too long to reach there.
Thank you, locusjag.

Regarding your question, I totally agree with @Prowler's answer. I couldn't have said it better myself. There are a lot of variables that the time spent on the road is dependent on.

In this trip itself, when I drove from Kanyakumari to Bangalore, I covered ~650 kilometres in 8 hours including lunch and tea breaks at an average of ~80 kilometres/hour. But the final 50 kilometres took 2 hours without any breaks bringing the average of the entire trip down to 70 kilometres per hour. When I drove from Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari, I averaged 55 kilometres per hour and so on.

So yes, depending on the road conditions, I'd say 50 - 80 kilometres per hour is what you can expect on most Indian highways.
Paradiddle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 19:05   #19
BHPian

Enjoyed reading your travelogue! Liked your video log too.

Tiruvannamalai temple is one of the pancha bhoota stalams. And it is for the element Fire. You may already know it. Just mentioning.
Old 28th March 2019, 00:29   #20
BHPian

Brilliant thread. Amazing narration and photographs.
Old 30th March 2019, 08:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimalan View Post
Enjoyed reading your travelogue! Liked your video log too.

Tiruvannamalai temple is one of the pancha bhoota stalams. And it is for the element Fire. You may already know it. Just mentioning.
Thank you, Nimalan.
I did not know that. Thank you for sharing that bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k149in View Post
Brilliant thread. Amazing narration and photographs.
Thank you for the kind words, k149in.
Old 5th April 2019, 14:46   #22
BANNED

Tamil Nadu is full of places to visit and food to enjoy! Seems that you have had an enjoyable time!
Old 14th May 2019, 10:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianAutoEnthu View Post
Tamil Nadu is full of places to visit and food to enjoy! Seems that you have had an enjoyable time!
Thank you! Yes, lots of lovely places to visit in Tamil Nadu.
Paradiddle is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks