Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2019, 04:21   #1
BHPian

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip

2020 visit updates

The Background
A road trip idea was on the mind for very long time but over years due to several reasons we could not materialize a plan including forming an ideal group. But surprisingly things turned around after our family grew with advent of our little one and we formed a group of very enthusiastic and energetic friends who are the best that one can expect for making any road trip happen.

The Plan and Route
After evaluating several nearby places in and around Kolkata that we could plan with a 8 month old kid, we locked on Taki on the banks of river Ichamati which is around 70 Kms from the city and takes an estimated time of a little over 2 hours to reach, its on the border of Bangladesh. The time to reach is higher due to not having any long highway stretch in the route except the shorter stretch of Basanti highway. We had made booking at Suhasini Guest House going by the word of mouth from friends.

There are several routes to Taki but our preference was the below one as our office is in this route in Leather Complex on Basanti Highway and we never dared to see beyond our office due to our busy schedule.

Dhakuria --> Anwar Shah By Pass Connector --> Choubaga --> Basanti Highway --> Parnasree Market --> Nimchi-->Bhebia --> Kamarpukur / Talpukur --> Taki

It is more like we wanted to explore what lies on the "other side" of Basanti. So with everything set, the destination, the great group, the means to go, rest of it followed naturally.

Day - 1

The Journey
We started around 8 am in the morning from our homes, picked up our friends by 8-30 am from Dhakuria and off we went in my trusted Hyundai Getz, stuffed from seat to boot. I was a bit skeptical before whether the car would be able to house everyone's belongings but my Getz did not disappoint. Half of the luggage was for the baby though.

That is him at the back gearing up for his next nap on the lap
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1558216920633.jpg

We had plans to initially stop by the famous S.S Snacks on AnwarShah Connector for breakfast but eventually decided to visit the "Jhups" in front of our office in leather complex which we frequent on usual days. After a break for 30 mins of severe fulfillment of our typical Bengalish expectations of what a proper breakfast should be we set forward once again by 10 am

The Basanti highway is otherwise very nice to drive except that its a undivided road with both lane cars and buses trying to overtake every now and then and it is what makes it dangerous. But then again I am used to this for our daily commute.

While cruising through Basanti Expressway, our daily office route
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20190519wa0011.jpg

After we crossed the leather complex the road became congested in a few places and we had to slow down. But after that the two sides became very picturesque and it was a treat to eyes. The Malancha Market arrived, abode of fish and prawn retail market, and we took a left from there towards the Malancha bridge which will make us cross the river after some time.

Thereafter the road became easier with lesser congestion but we could not maintain a higher speed as it was residential places all along and every now and then there were speed breakers while we moved ahead of Kamarpukur. Finally after some more time the sight of Taki R.K Mission charged us up giving the hint we are close to our final destination.

Eventually we reached our hotel by 1 pm, the roads around the river banks are narrow and you have to maneuver and be calculative with your ride while finding your place. The hotel had a lawn where the car could be parked and on other side of it overlooking the river. The view is very nice and we quickly settled for river facing rooms.

The view from our rooms
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1558216905378.jpg

Actually you can see Bangladesh on the other side. While we made our way to hotel reception, I was approached by a Toto driver and I went ahead and booked him for evening site seeing. The best time to visit Taki is during Durga Puja where Bisharjan / submerging of Durga idol from both the Bengals (Indian and Bangladesh) happens, its difficult to get rooms at that time and it is frequented by even foreigners.

Our Stay and Site Seeing

Soon we had our lunch, note that they can serve you lunch or dinner only on prior order and you may not always get an assured meal by walking into the restaurant without a prior booking. The food was really great and cooked to our liking, some keywords need special mention (Bengalis will understand for sure) like Chingri Malaikari, Kosha Mangsho, Koolfi.

On the ground floor of the hotel where the restaurant is there is a small lawn with swings on the side facing the river. We were quick to sit there and take a few clicks.
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1558216728607.jpg

We headed to our rooms for a quick relaxing hour before our evening site seeing. There were problems with the AC remote, my Redmi phone with IR blaster came to the rescue. I do have one.more thing to complain for, the water in the toilet is slippery and has a pungent smell, may be not adequately filtrated from the river source. We did keep hence abundance of bottled waters like Bisleri to keep us distant to the extent possible.

We started the local tour around 4 pm on that Toto, dodging pedestrians and pet cattles on the ever narrow roads of Taki we went ahead. It was March and a bit hot and humid. Fortunately the Toto turned out to be just enough for our group, when not all of us are slim and trim including plus size ambassadors like me.

Here are pics of some of the places we visited, some we decided to give a pass considering the frequently changing moods of our beloved son.

Taki Rajbari (Royal Palace of Taki), recently some renovations made for a TV serial shooting
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1558216895049.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20190427wa0012.jpg

This is the place where shooting of a Bengali movie named "Bisharjan" has happened
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1558216899181.jpg

Golpatar Jongol (Mangrove Forest), this needs a special mention. Since the place is more closer to the Bangladesh border at least one in the group must carry a government id card which must be submitted in original at a BSF checkpoint on the way. Thereafter within a few minutes you will reach the entry point which is made like a view point.

An Elevated walkway takes you to the other side of the jungle that opens up on the river banks. A must go, especially the path within the dense jungle.
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20190519wa0007.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img_20190519_033623.jpg

The banks of the river that remains Submerged during high tides, this is the other side of the jungle
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20190427wa0010.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20190427wa0017.jpg

Our final spot of visit, Taki Eco Park, there were a few rides like paddle boat, but we preferred to stick to the small sanctuary inside and some play grounds. The weather had become better by this time with the sun setting and a cool breeze with soothing touch blowing in.
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20190501wa0027.jpg

The Evening
We returned back to hotel and decided to spend the evening by the fairs at the banks. It was full of hawkers and food stalls. Famous item here is the Gamcha (towel), we made sure we had one from the hawkers along with some snacks, after all Bengalis have to keep the food industry alive.

We returned back to the hotel post that and geared up for the evening adda, first it was on the open balcony attached to the rooms, the breeze was almost blowing us back, it was such a nice feeling. Then we moved to the common balcony that was bigger. Eventually we settled inside our rooms. Had plans for a movie show but technical glitches held us back.

Eventually went for dinner and by 11 pm we were done and returned to our rooms for signing off for the day.

A major problem here is the internet connectivity and learned the reason why we keep getting EDGE / 2G most of the time is by intentional restriction in border areas by BSF. You would be considering yourself lucky if you manage to get connected to internet while staying inside your rooms.

Day 2 -The Return

We woke up afresh on the next day morning, with the thought of trying out the boat ride on Ichamati river. But soon after we completed the breakfast, we realized that boat ride may not be that great idea considering the scorching heat and the little one with us. So focused on packing our bags and decided to have our lunch some place back in Kolkata.

The weather was so unpredictable that the last 30 minutes of our stay in the hotel, it became cloudy and the evening like breeze was back. Anyways our minds were already set and we eventually bid good bye to Taki and started our return by 10 am.

We followed the exact same route as it was during the onward journey.

We had heard from few colleagues that on Basanti Highway there is a nice cottage resort within the greens names Sundar Gram (The Beautiful Village). Decided to make a visit. It is a few kilometres from Bhojerhat and we need to take a turn from Basanti, Google Map knows the way.

The place is very nice and there are abundance of cottages inside, some used for gatherings, some for dining and some for stays (AC available). Took a few shots and made some inquiries and left. Some repair work was happening there with things scattered around the entrance gate.

Just outside Sundargram, its green all around
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20190501wa0025.jpg

Inside Sundargram
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20190427wa0022.jpg

The moment we came back to the Basanti Highway I started feeling a leftish pull in the steering. A passing tempo pointed out that one of our rear tyres is flat. I pulled over to one side off the road immediately. The insurance had 24-7 road assistance but they could not confirm the same when I called them and Hyundai roadside assistance asked for 800 rupees for a flat tyre replacement. Decided to drop them and go by self, took help of a passing tempo driver and he was very kind to take us through where I was badly stuck. Actually I could not unscrew the tyre, was trying in the wrong direction. Observed the flat tyre, a very big metal piece had pierced it, most likely from the repair area in Sundar Gram.

Well, in 30 mins we were back on our feet, i mean my beloved Getz was, and continued for the remaining journey back to Kolkata.

Around 1 pm we entered Jameson Inn Shiraz, thought it would be a nice place to meet our Mughlai mood and a good place to visit with kids. Next 90 mins, it was a one sided battle on the table, Biriyani-s, Kababs, Firnis all surrendered to our hunger. Best part of it, our friends sponsored the whole treat.

We left in a happy mood, dropped everyone home by 4 pm and reached our home by 4-30 pm thereby bringing an end to a memorable and excellent weekend trip.

Thank you all for your patience in reading my first travelogue.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th September 2020 at 19:12. Reason: As requested
haisaikat is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 13:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 14:44   #3
BHPian

re: Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip

Good travelogue, haisaikat, but where are the photos of your steed?! No travelogue is complete without those

Before embarking on a road trip, it's always a good practice to unscrew all the lug nuts on all tires and putting them back on. This is so that:
a. You get acquainted with the process resulting in faster recovery time when a flat tire pops up (pun intended)
b. In case any of the lug nuts don't unscrew, you can get it attended to by a mechanic and hence avoid being stranded in an unknown place later

Regarding the lack of good network connectivity in Taki, is it the same with all service providers?

Last edited by boniver : 19th May 2019 at 15:01. Reason: Correction
boniver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 22:16   #4
BHPian

Nice writing. May you please also mention the name of the hotel you stayed and an approximate room rent? I had only visited Taki once many years ago, for a brief six or seven hour stay in one winter morning and that was during an office picnic. This time I shall like to visit it for a couple of nights, being accompanied by family. Arindam, one esteemed member of our TBHP community has his ancestral house there and has asked me several times to pay a visit. But now I feel determined to visit it, once the monsoon showers start.
rahul4640 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 00:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
May you please also mention the name of the hotel you stayed and an approximate room rent? I had only visited Taki once many years ago, for a brief six or seven hour stay in one winter morning and that was during an office picnic. This time I shall like to visit it for a couple of nights, being accompanied by family. Arindam, one esteemed member of our TBHP community has his ancestral house there and has asked me several times to pay a visit. But now I feel determined to visit it, once the monsoon showers start.
Thanks. We had stayed at Suhasini Guest House. its actually a hotel. AC river facing room rent was around Rs 1200. Food at actuals. There are even costlier options like Sonar Bangla if you long for a top class comfort and service. We did like Suhasini except tap water that I have already called out, not sure if its the same everywhere. There are also several homestays which are fully furnished at half the price of costlier hotels. I would say, if a fellow BHPian is inviting it is to be assumed that the intent is to make you stay at his place and not make you stay at hotels

Monsoon time is good, but I would suggest if you have the BHPian invitation open go for the Durga Puja Doshomi to witness the Bhashan on both sides of the border at one go.

And yes Taki is enough for 2-3 nights maximum. Most of the local tour is suitable for afternoon and early evening until sunset and can be covered in 1 day for the most popular ones and may be another morning or afternoon for the farther ones like Nirala Garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Good travelogue, haisaikat, but where are the photos of your steed?! No travelogue is complete without those

Before embarking on a road trip, it's always a good practice to unscrew all the lug nuts on all tires and putting them back on. This is so that:
a. You get acquainted with the process resulting in faster recovery time when a flat tire pops up (pun intended)
b. In case any of the lug nuts don't unscrew, you can get it attended to by a mechanic and hence avoid being stranded in an unknown place later

Regarding the lack of good network connectivity in Taki, is it the same with all service providers?
Thanks. Ha ha ha, that was funny. Car photo somehow missed, like I said this was after a very long time. There is another TL on the making for Bishnupur trip we made, it will have what you are asking for.

Unscrewing all nuts and putting them back on before every long trip? Really? Pay some respect to the lazy soul please.

Network was indeed poor on Airtel, Jio, Vodafone. We did not have BSNL though.
haisaikat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:18   #6
BHPian

Good travelogue.
I would recommend a child seat for your son as it is very dangerous to just hold a child or to let him be loose while driving.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 10:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Good travelogue.
I would recommend a child seat for your son as it is very dangerous to just hold a child or to let him be loose while driving.
Thanks for pointing this out, actually the car was full so there was no additional place for keeping a kid's car seat. Also as they grow up they become more restless and difficult to keep restrained in a seat. This travelogue is from last year and so are two more yet to be published. He is almost 2 years now. Any other suggestions are also welcome, we have not travelled a lot with him, would love to hear more tips regarding traveling with kids.

Last edited by haisaikat : 24th May 2019 at 10:17.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 05:00   #8
BHPian

Revisiting Taki in 2020

The Plan
After our last visit to Taki back in 2018 we only had a failed try to revisit for the famous cross border Durga Puja Bhashan (Immersion of Durga Idols) event in 2019 since every possible accommodation was overbooked.

Early this September we planned for a day outing to Taki with some friends and their families. Destination was Sonar Bangla resort in Taki, a newly opened property from this famous chain of hotels.

The Onward Journey
Although the destination is merely around 65 KM from Kolkata but majority of the route being on single lane we started early morning around 8 am making our last pickup from Tagore Park near Ruby and headed via Basanti Highway, we did take the Jolpoth beside Urbana to avoid the morning rush in Chowbaga.

With a 1 hour halt for some delicious home made breakfast we resumed once again. Road being very good up until we crossed Malancha Market except the single lane challenges with frequent trucks and small carriers & pickups not honoring any lane discipline while coming from opposite side. However after crossing Kulti the road condition worsened and there were frequent craters which slowed us down. After entering Hasnabad, near Chandpur on the Taki Road there was a road closure and we were diverted through a very narrow village road to get around the closure. It was a very narrow and congested road which is supposed to be one way only yet two wheelers coming from opposite directions. We eventually managed to cross at the cost of one 4 inch scratch on the right side of the car.

At the resort
Finally around 11-30 am we reached Sonar Bangla, the last stretch of 500-700 metres is really narrow. It is adjacent to the BSF camp. Usual temperature checks and luggage sanitation happened including stepping over shoe disinfection mattress. They were quick in allotting us the pre-booked room on the top floor with excellent view of the surrounding.

Although the property assured us of rooms being sanitized, we fumigated and disinfected the room and common touch points before letting others enter. Thankfully there were no smoke alarms inside the room or in the lobby.

We had our lunch there and went for the boat ride at 3-30 pm for around 45 mins covering the zero point border with Bangladesh and the Mohna (3 rivers meeting together). We witnessed higher than usual water current and waves in the river especially around the Mohna. The boatman did give us a guided tour of most notable places around the rover banks. The ghat from where the boat leaves is just adjacent to the property with a direct access path from one corner of the lawn and the reception co-ordinates the time slots of the boats along with issuing coupons and collecting payments in full advance. We did not go for the usual Taki tours since we have seen them all last time, but we did inquire and came to know that some of the popular tourist places including Golpatar Jongol are still closed post lockdown.

The return home
We returned to the hotel by 4-45 pm and spent some time in the lawn (sprayed surface disinfectants on all contact points) and in the indoor games room (surface disinfected thoroughly) before coming back to our room before eventually checking out by 630 pm. On our return back home we did meet with the same road closures and another longer detour around the same place in the morning, also witnessed even worse than morning craters on the return route going behind with trucks and slowing down considerably in the Hasnabad - Kulti stretch. We made it back to home by 10 pm after dropping off everyone else.

At the parking of the resort
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img_20200908_174924.jpg

Waiting at the lobby
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20200906wa0010.jpg

Backyard from the rooftop
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img_20200906_114952.jpg

Rooftop, Balcony
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img_20200906_114942.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20200906wa0128.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img_20200906_120553.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img_20200906_114857.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1599566933593.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1599566909915.jpg

These boats with a standing deck at the top seemed to be plying regularly but could not get hold of their source
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1599566863992.jpg

During our boat ride
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20200906wa0084.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20200906wa0126.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img_20200907_120642.jpg

At the lawn
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img20200906wa0092.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1599566893261.jpg

Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-fb_img_1599566917582.jpg

Just before we left in the evening
Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 trip-img_20200906_180532.jpg

Disclaimer: General precautions as said in this previous thread (How to travel with precautions as India opens up) were followed
haisaikat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 13:01   #9
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post

Revisiting Taki in 2020

Although the property assured us of rooms being sanitized, we fumigated and disinfected the room and common touch points before letting others enter.
Can you please share the link for the fumigation machine which you used along with the fumigation liquid.
I have an upcoming trip next week where i have to stay at a hotel and hence fumigating it will give some peace of mind.
Thanks in advance
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:16   #10
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Taki! A memorable weekend getaway near Bangladesh border. EDIT: Updated with 2020 tri

Looking at your thread, Saikat and some realizations , I believe this year day trips are the way forward. I am not much of a fan though but given the limited options, a day trip is better staying put at home. For me, it has been 6 months now that I have left my locality.
My motorcycle and car does a weekly trip to the bazaar or at the maximum to South City Spencer. But thanks for showing the options, it high time we start making short one dayers

Best Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
After our last visit to Taki back in 2018
sayakc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 18:49   #11
BHPian

Hello Saikat,

We are planning to visit Taki tomorrow...will be starting from Lake Gardens. It will be great if you can tell me the best possible route to take.

Also if you can suggest any decent eateries along the route for breakfast.

Thanks,
Sayak

Quote:

Revisiting Taki in 2020

Last edited by sayakc : 31st December 2020 at 19:11.
sayakc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 20:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
will be starting from Lake Gardens. It will be great if you can tell me the best possible route to take.

Also if you can suggest any decent eateries along the route for breakfast
Hello Dear, you should take the route via Basanti Highway and I see its the default route shown via GMaps. Its single lane highway so drive cautiously, initial 15 KM from science city to leather complex have close to 25 speed breakers and there are speed cameras and remember, they work. I am not aware of the current road condition beyond Malancha but they should be in better shape now.

Regarding breakfast, if your plan is to have at the beginning only, S. Snacks (dalpuri / hing kachori and sweets) on Anwarshah Connector just before Avishikta starts will be best option, I will not recommend taking down masks on the road beyond Malancha.

Also while returning if you want to have lunch, dinner or evening snacks the Howrah Bridge on the same road will be best, their Fish Fry / Chicken Tikka Roll / Kababs / Chinese or even Biriyani are excellent. Best thing they serve in your car so no need to step out.
haisaikat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:47   #13
BHPian

Thanks a ton Saikat! A Happy New year to you.

We made a quick day trip and it was quite good. Had breakfast at a roadside stall near the Bantala Leather Complex..found Taki to be a great place for a short trip - the boat ride, nearby Golpatar jungle etc. nice. Not to be forgotten the authentic Bengali lunch served at many of the 'Guesthouses' by the river.

Best Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Hello Dear, you should take the route via Basanti Highway and I see its the default route shown via GMaps. Its single lane highway so drive cautiously, initial 15 KM from science city to leather complex have close to 25 speed breakers and there are speed cameras and remember, they work.
sayakc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks