Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 11:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge

Had visited Prague during the visit to Czech Republic as part of Skoda Design Workshop. Read about it here (A design & history trip with Skoda to the Czech Republic)

The schedule was jam packed over one and half days and usually such events do not provide one with free time to go out and explore the city on your own. Hence, had not done research on what one could visit in Prague, except some prior knowledge that it's a beautiful city and Czech Republic is famous for their crystals. Had not even thought of researching before-hand on what interesting stuff was there near the hotel where we would be staying.

We were staying in old town area of Prague and me being an early riser had woken up early and by 6.00 in morning was wondering what to do for next few hours till breakfast. Looked outside the window -- could see a light drizzle and decided to go to the reception and ask what could be areas nearby for an early morning walk. Got ready, went to reception and the reception not only suggested me to walk till Charles Bridge and gave me rough directions but also gave me an umbrella to take along.

Little did i know that i would see some amazing architectural beauty of Prague during the early morning walk. The fact that I had not done any research before hand and all places I saw were like seeing them for the first time, in any shape or form, made the morning walk even more memorable. I was so mesmerized by the beauty of the old town area that i went again for this walk late night that day and next day early morning!

This map shows the approx 1 odd km walk from hotel to Charles bridge:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-josefcharles.png

That's the hotel on the left of the picture, with shades on each of the windows. Located at a busy T junction and full of traffic during day time. I put on google maps and started along.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-h1.jpg

I walk some 100 meters and take a turn to join a street and I see this sight. In the morning, this was least expected and brought a smile to my face. This is a Ford F-100 and was in immaculate condition. Looked more beautiful in person and I took pictures while going and coming back!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-h2.jpg

Wanted to take pictures of interiors but refrained as didn't want to look like I was planning a break in. With not a soul in sight and me looking inside the van and taking pictures could have raised suspicion in anyone who would have seen me there!!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-h3.jpeg

The streets are empty and it's just me, the cobbled stone streets and the parked cars. I look back and see no one any where. (We humans are strange -- when you don't see anyone you feel a bit strange and become extra cautious and at same time want solitude when there is a crowd). The tree you see in background -- that's where I have been walking from.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-h4.jpeg

Another picture of the junction at the same tree as above. Notice how empty it is. Only me and the pigeons! I spend few minutes looking at the buildings and admiring the intricate architecture of the buildings.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-black.jpeg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd July 2019 at 12:16.
khan_sultan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 06:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge

As I move ahead, I see the corner of Old Town Square and for the first time see few people on the streets!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs1.jpg

I walk a little further and am in the square. The square is a vast open space in the old city and centuries ago was used by merchants from far away lands to converge and do business.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs112.jpeg

I look to my left and see these beautiful buildings and closed cafe's. I later discover that many of these buildings in and around the square have retained their centuries old characteristics even today from the inside.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs2.jpeg

I move a little further and look back -- that's where I have been coming from
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs3.jpg

I look to my right and I face the Old Town Hall. (refer to Old Town Hall link to know more about this wonderful building). As I had no prior context of what these buildings are I kept on wondering what these buildings were and of what use?
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs4.jpeg

I spend some time absorbing the beauty of the place and notice an Asian couple getting photographed in wedding dress. I find it amusing and later only learnt that East Asian couples (especially Chinese) have a thing for Prague (and other European cities) for the pre-wedding shoot! There are even dedicated sites offering this as package. Read here & here as an example. Later in my walk I would see several couples having their pre-wedding shoot being done. In my mind I am thinking that to have a shoot this early, how early these people would have woken up, got ready, done makeup etc etc.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs5.jpg

I move towards the Old Town Hall and turn back to have this view -- The magnificent 15th century Tyn Church (Read about it The here on wikipedia): Of all the buildings in Old Town Square, this is the one I found most interesting and majestic.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs6.jpeg

I spend some time enjoying the moment and then move ahead. I pass by the clock house and look back to this view.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs8.jpeg

Couldn't imagine that the same place will look like this later in the night when I will visit it again:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs81.jpeg

I spend some more time at the square enjoying the early morning silence, beautiful buildings and a slightly nippy weather. I am mesmerized by the astronomical clock and have never seen something like this. For my life, i can't figure out how it works and what it is showing and finally had to use google to read more about it (Installed in early 14th century and the oldest clock still operating in the world): Was lucky to see the elaborate theater kind of show that happens within the clock tower when it strikes the hour!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs10.jpeg

As I move ahead, I look back to this wonderful view. I later read that one could climb up the town hall but only when it is open later during the day. I am wondering how beautiful the square will look from the top:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs11.jpeg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd July 2019 at 12:18.
khan_sultan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 07:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I now move ahead from the square and again to the narrow streets ( The narrow alley you see in top center of the picture):
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs12.jpg

and in the next block see small cafe's, which are yet to open, on the circle:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs14.jpeg

I look at the buildings and notice that while each one has a distinct style, color and intricate details; all of them look in harmony with each other. The sum total of the buildings presented a very coherent architecture of the place. It gave the place it's own unique character:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs15.jpg

Swaroski -- the famous crystal chain. I learnt that the origins of this have a very strong Czech origin & history and was started in Austria only to take advantage of the cheap hydro electricity needed for making crystals
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs16.jpg

There is a slight drizzle and the cobbled stone street has turned into a shade of dark grey and looks beautiful. I have the whole of the streets to myself with not a soul in sight. I enjoy the views as I pass by...
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs17.jpeg

...closed restaurants serving local Czech cuisine
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs1701.jpg

.. and by this unique sweet pastry shop called trdelink or trldo. I had no idea of what this is and had to google for it. I discover that while it is advertised as a traditional Czech pastry /delicacy, it is not and is only for tourists. The locals don't even identify with it and find it amusing. Read more about it here (btw, this was the only shop that I saw open during my entire walk)
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs171.jpg

As I move ahead the empty cobbled stone street, I am pleasantly surprised to see this. For a moment I thought this is a showroom and only later realize that this is a private museum, with no affiliation to Apple company, and has biggest private exhibition of Apple’s products in the world! One can take a virtual tour of this museum here
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs18.jpg

From the museum I turn right and then an immediate left to reach this yet another empty street. That's the church you see at the end of this street...
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs19.jpg

...and as I look back, that's where I am coming from.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs20.jpg

I notice the municipal staff doing a very diligent job of cleaning the streets early morning. They were not only vacuum cleaning but also picking up any broken glass bottles etc in a manner that demonstrated great attention to detail!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs21.jpg

This building houses a theater and has this interesting wooden detail on the front
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs211.jpg

Notice carefully and you will see that most of the buildings have the same frontage style on ground floor -- a semi-circular arched gateway opening.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs22.jpeg

I have now reached the end of the backstreets and see this main street -- which is again a cobbled street. I can now see the entrance of Charles Bridge -- cross this road and you are there at the bridge:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs23.jpeg

I cross the road and look back -- this is where I am coming from (the narrow ally in the right of the picture)
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs24.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd July 2019 at 12:19.
khan_sultan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 06:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Charles Bridge is supposedly one of the most beautiful bridges in the world and after spending time there I could see why. Built in 13th century and for a long time the only land crossing over the river, it enabled Prague to be a major trading hub between eastern & western Europe. You can read about the bridge and history here

At the entrance of the bridge is a Gothic styled tower
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs26.jpg

I slowly begin to understand why this bridge is special as soon as I enter the tower and have this view in front of me:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs27.jpg

I look up and see these beautiful artwork on the ceiling:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs28.jpeg

On my left is a small gate that one can use to climb up the tower. Early morning, this is closed and I could only imagine how beautiful it would have been up there:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs29.jpg

I move ahead and see one of the most beautiful & magical sights I have ever seen early morning. Prague castle in the backdrop, the terracotta rooftops of the old city buildings, the almost empty bridge, the sculptures of holy saints on the bridge, the river itself and the early morning clouds with light drizzle created a magical moment that could only be savored by being there and not described in words.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs30.jpeg

I am torn between the thought of taking pictures of the beautiful views or just being there and enjoying the moments. I do finally take lots of pictures to capture the moments in time.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs301.jpeg

I look back and the tower looks majestic. I also realize how lucky I am to see all this with almost none there and no touristy crowds.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs31.jpeg

I move ahead and admire the beautiful sculptures on the sides of the bridge. I learn later (through google) that 30 of these sculptures were added later to the bridge and these are now replicas of the original sculptures which have been moved to a museum. I think the sculptures have a very big role to play in making the Charles Bridge a truly magical sight!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs32.jpeg

I look back and it's even more magical!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs33.jpeg

As I look to my right towards the river, I see this view:
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs331.jpeg

Another picture of the same right hand side. The number of bridges on the river make it look magical.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs35.jpeg

On my left is another equally beautiful view of a bridge on the river! The whole area is really like a post card!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs36.jpeg

As I start my journey back to the hotel, couldn't help but look back and admire the views from the bridge again. It's in these small moments you realize how special life is and the joys and happiness that unexpected surprises can bring in their own ways.
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs37.jpeg

I did travel to the bridge late that night again and had this beautiful view again -- though it was much much more crowded at night!
Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge-hs99.jpeg

This, my friends, is one of the most beautiful early morning walks I have ever taken...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd July 2019 at 12:20.
khan_sultan is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 15:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:20   #6
BHPian

Re: Prague: An early morning stroll in Old Town Square & Charles Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
This, my friends, is one of the most beautiful early morning walks I have ever taken...
Absolutely breathtaking photographs followed by those mesmerizing narration! I felt like I was there myself. Rarely do we see such peaceful non-touristy travel descriptions and clicks; just enjoying the moment and the sceneries and taking in the experience rather than being in a rush to cover as much as possible in a short trip. Thanks for sharing this! Made my day!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 09:46   #7
BHPian

Fantastic place! I was there for 4 days at Prague with my wife for Christmas (In search of the perfect Christmas market - Bratislava, Budapest, Prague & more) and it was heavenly. It is among the most beautiful places in Europe.
feluda86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 11:57   #8
BHPian

Penned with a humane touch just talking about the moments, brilliant narration, exquisite pics, great location but more than that, just a stroll in the morning. Thank you for sharing your experience - made my day!!!
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:55   #9
BHPian

Two years ago, to the day, I was in Prague. I was there for three weeks. I had seen all these places, walked at various times of the day. Yet, I couldn't feel the magic the way you did. It is indeed magical, looking at your pics. I am now wondering how did I miss these despite being there. Thanks for sharing.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 20:42   #10
BHPian

Lovely pics and a simple narration.... it is hard to realise that a simple thing as an early morning stroll can bring such happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Later in my walk I would see several couples having their pre-wedding shoot being done. In my mind I am thinking that to have a shoot this early, how early these people would have woken up, got ready, done makeup etc etc.
My wife tells me that as a little girl, she would often sleep in her school uniform so as to not be late for her early morning classes. Perhaps these people did something similar - slept in their wedding dress with all the make-up on.
nishsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 10:47   #11
BHPian

Fantastic photographs and appeared so Live! as if I am walking along!
I had seen your write up on visit to Skoda showroom and was wondering it is a must see place, but this one just goes beyond and makes me want to go there !!
srikrishna717 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 15:18   #12
BHPian

Excellent post !!! Having stayed in Prague for some time your pictures and post refreshes old memories. The pictures are really nice and taken at a really nice time of the day. Early morning pictures are generally the best, and no matter what season the scenes look really nice, spring time, winters (especially with fresh light snow are a sight to see).
vsoneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 10:34   #13

Lovely photos which bring memories of our visit there in 2015. I remember my wife and I got lost in the way back from the castle and we ended up walking for close to 3 hours in the old city's bylanes. In a way this was a blessing in disguise as a city's s true character lies in these areas and not the touristy places
Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks