Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 11:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Summer Retreat : Delhi to Chitkul, the last village on the Tibet border

Very nice travelogue. Chitkul is on my to-do list since last 3 years. Some times a journey without challenges may feel boring. The way you deal with unexpected issues will give enough confidence to move further. All is well that ends well.
Old 20th June 2019, 14:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
These are the things you can do only during your young ages. I have had such travelling experiences (on public transport/ hitch hiking etc.) which when I look back now are "horrendous", but at that time, when I did it, they were never felt so.
Hey! I have always believed that time is the best teacher/cure for everything in life. We all evolve with our choices over a period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you for a travelogue where you let the photos do the talking and for not posting photos of the food in the thali!. Loved your photos.
Thanks for the love! I have been doing photography since 2011 and that's my primary objective to travel! I travel to capture memories. Besides, that end note in your signature is really motivating! Made my day, yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddyhere View Post
Very nice travelogue. Chitkul is on my to-do list since last 3 years.
Its a one time visit place. Best time being June to Sept, unless you are keen to experience white winters!
Old 20th June 2019, 16:47   #18
BHPian

Just came back from an impromptu trip to Kalpa and Chitkul. Found Chitkul to be overcrowded with our new breed of bold and brash tourists trampling upon what seemed to have been a serene place once, but not anymore. In fact I resisted the temptation of leaving within minutes of arriving, the rush and the greed on display (was asked for 3.5k for a basic room in one of the many guesthouses which have mushroomed) If you are looking for peace and serenity, pls stay away or at least go after the summer and rains.

Nice pictures and narration. As a fellow rider, could identify with your predicament!
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 09:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

I headed off from Manali towards Chitkul with a friend a few years back, he on a rented CL500, and me on the Impulse. It was an absolutely beautiful day, roads were light of traffic and the bike was running along perfectly, I was feeling just great about the ride, the wind and sun on my face, and life in general.

Around Kullu my friend pulled over; I came alongside, reveling in it all, and asked him how he was feeling, expecting similar sentiments.

"Not well at all" was the reply, with a slow shake of the head. Less-hardened videshi that he is, a serious stomach ailment had come up... I mean, it was bad / urgent, and he wanted to turn back.

For my part, I'd been waiting to see Sangla / Chitkul / vicinity for so long that I decided to press on solo.

But ten minutes down the road, my wife called. A plumbing emergency at home... a pipe had broken and water was spurting out everywhere...

I was a mere hour away, and the only right thing to do was to turn back, unknowingly passing by my friend who was off the side of the road someplace taking care of some painful business...

So it seems it was not meant to be just then! But maybe someday...

Judging by your pics, the place really is lovely. But yes, I'll try and hit it in the off-season to avoid the rush and degradation that seems to have taken hold everywhere in these hills.

-Eric
Old 21st June 2019, 16:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
In fact I resisted the temptation of leaving within minutes of arriving, the rush and the greed on display (was asked for 3.5k for a basic room in one of the many guesthouses which have mushroomed
Thats surprising. We did not have a place to stay on day 2. I strolled around the village and negotiated a dorm for 500 Rs pp. Few of our zostel mates found a home-stay for 1200 rs for a room. The prices tend to increase during evening hours due to lesser availability. I do agree with the point of increasing tourists to such serene places in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Judging by your pics, the place really is lovely. But yes, I'll try and hit it in the off-season to avoid the rush and degradation that seems to have taken hold everywhere in these hills.
Thats some apathy man to have not made it. I remember a quote somewhere: You don't go to the mountains, the mountains call you!

I am excited to see pics of Chitkul in winters. Riding in the snow-clad mountains will be some tough task!
Old 21st June 2019, 16:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh89 View Post
Thats surprising. We did not have a place to stay on day 2. I strolled around the village and negotiated a dorm for 500 Rs pp. Few of our zostel mates found a home-stay for 1200 rs for a room. The prices tend to increase during evening hours due to lesser availability. I do agree with the point of increasing tourists to such serene places in recent ye task!
The place which demanded this amount was just after the bus stop, on the other side of the road from zostel. Eventually found a guesthouse down the road for much less, and yes, it was getting late. Booking zostel in advance would have been the best option.

Saw a parked car with Windows up and engine running while out for a stroll till the bus stop around 9 pm. Hope they had a place for the night.
Old 22nd June 2019, 18:18   #22
BANNED

Superb photos. Loved the way travelogue has been written. Cheers
timussharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 13:27   #23
BHPian

any suggestion for a "homestay" kind of place in Chitkul for family acco i.e. with kids?
Old 24th June 2019, 13:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
any suggestion for a "homestay" kind of place in Chitkul for family acco i.e. with kids?
Hi,

You can check for Zostel, they have 2 family rooms. (www.zostel.com)

Wanderers nest is also a good option. We also stayed at Samaa resorts. They have rooms for family. Advisable to pre-book before traveling to Chitkul.
saurabh89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 17:27   #25
BHPian

thanks Saurabh. will check again with Zostel. When i called, they said that they dont allow kids.
Old 30th June 2019, 21:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
When i called, they said that they dont allow kids.
My Bad! Yes, they don't allow kids below 18 years of age.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks