Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2019, 09:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Exploring the United States of America

Lovely travelog there. Thanks for sharing

One question : How easy or tough is it to get a tourist visa for the US?

I have an office trip planned later this year and am toying with the idea to take my better half along. Would be my 1st trip to that country, so any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th July 2019 at 09:15.
Old 11th July 2019, 22:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Good Machines and Silk Smooth Highways - No Doubt
But
Highly Restrictive Speed Limit.
Max 70 MPH ... yes, you can go 10 MPH above, in case traffic conditions favour.
You can do some 'safe and spirited driving at those speeds (moreover most of them follow road rules unlike India) and I think its good to maintain them in that range since it is a rented vehicle and you won't set mom/wiefy's speed warning alarm.

If one wants to go all guns blazing at the asphalt then the Autobahn is the place to go ... Oh wait! They are also getting speed restrictions due to heatwave (I hope this is temporary).

SOURCE- https://www.foxnews.com/auto/german-...mits-heat-wave

Last edited by aah78 : 11th July 2019 at 23:31. Reason: Typos, spacing.
Old 11th July 2019, 23:08   #18
BHPian

Really great photos. Wonder how beautiful it would have been driving those bimmers across the USA. Amazing !!

Last edited by aah78 : 12th July 2019 at 00:02. Reason: beemers -> bimmers. ;)
kn09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 14:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tar_boy View Post
Awesome travelogue and it must have been fun Xploring with such capable machines and good roads. I wish to do the same someday.
Thank you! Hope you get to do it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Lovely travelog there. Thanks for sharing
Thank you.

Quote:
One question : How easy or tough is it to get a tourist visa for the US?

I have an office trip planned later this year and am toying with the idea to take my better half along. Would be my 1st trip to that country, so any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance
From what I have seen, they are generally quite easy to get provided you are able to prove that you need to get back to India. You should start yours and your wife's visa procedure now itself as the interview appointment has a long waitlist. I got it after almost 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn09 View Post
Really great photos. Wonder how beautiful it would have been driving those bimmers across the USA. Amazing !!
Thank you bro
Old 13th July 2019, 23:59   #20
BHPian

That's a dream trip right there! 5 star travelogue, especially the writing.Which camera did you use for these awesome photos.
Sunrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 15:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
That's a dream trip right there! 5 star travelogue, especially the writing.Which camera did you use for these awesome photos.
Thank you so much for the kind words. I used my iPhone X for taking the pictures.
dean5545 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 19:23   #22

Quote:
The drive to Niagara Falls was very mundane there aren't many scenic vistas around, so you get bored easily. What caught us by surprise were the Semi-Trucks. These trucks are insane! Some of them overtook me at 120kmph that too with full load and on an incline! Imagine our Indian trucks doing that.
Nice travelogue.
If visiting Niagara falls from DC, I would recommend to take I-95 >I-695 > I-83 to Harrisburg> Route 15 through Corning > I-390 > Warsaw, NY.

There are some beautiful villages and towns through this route. Might add up an hour, but worth it. I live in Maryland and have done this route multiple times.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th July 2022 at 19:35. Reason: Typos, spacing fixed.
Ruzinvincible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:52   #23
BHPian

Wow thats a mega trip, i dont know how i missed this one in the travelogues.

I am planning a family trip in the upcoming summer of 2023 to USA. We plan to cover Seattle, SFO, LA, Vegas, Houston(for the NASA museum), Orlando (for the Hogwarts experience), Washington DC, Charlotte N.C (have some relatives there), Chicago and finally New York.

Can you please help me if our Indian DL will suffice, did any one ask for the International driver license ?

Also, if possible what will be the per person cost (ball park) ?

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 17:17   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

I am planning a family trip in the upcoming summer of 2023 to USA. We plan to cover Seattle, SFO, LA, Vegas, Houston(for the NASA museum), Orlando (for the Hogwarts experience), Washington DC, Charlotte N.C (have some relatives there), Chicago and finally New York.

Can you please help me if our Indian DL will suffice, did any one ask for the International driver license ?

Also, if possible what will be the per person cost (ball park) ?

Regards
Diesel
It depends on the state you are travelling to. In most states you can drive with your Indian Drivers Licensed if it is in English for a max period of 1 year. Some states require IDP.
Ruzinvincible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 00:31   #25
BANNED

Wow! What an amazing Travelogue. It bought back so many memories. Thanks for sharing.
Aanchal Kaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 09:56   #26
BHPian

Hi folks,

As per my earlier post I am planning a summer trip to US with family and we plan to cover NY, DC, FL, LA, LV and SFO. I am torn between including Chicago or Seattle in the itinerary, Can somebody please guide me if is it worth including these 2 cities in the visit, If I had to drop one and choose between Seattle and Chicago which one it would be ?

My rough draft of itinerary is as below, would appreciate any inputs on this as well. this itinerary has been made to include some social calls as well to relatives staying in Charleston (SC) and Atascadero (CA), both social calls unavoidable.

Will much appreciate your inputs :

Exploring the United States of America-us-itinerary.png

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2023 at 01:13. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
Old 24th July 2022, 09:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hey!
Sorry for the late reply, haven't been active on tbhp off late.
All the best for your trip, enjoy your Holiday to the fullest !

I had taken an International Drivers license for my trip however I wasn't asked to show at any of the places.

Cost per person largely varies from person to person depending on the hotels you are planning to stay in as well as the City in which you are going to spend maximum time. If you are renting a car do remember parking will cost you as much as the car rent in some large cities.

Quote:
Will much appreciate your inputs :
Went through the itinerary, I feel you can reduce one day from New York, 3 days is more than enough for New York according to me. Also day 6 seems hectic very hectic to me.

I would suggest leaving for Buffalo a night before and going for the Maid of the Mist tour at Niagara falls early morning and then head for Washington in the afternoon. This way you can avoid staying the night at New York which would be one of the most expensive cities of your trip. Buffalo is very economical in that regard.

I have no idea about about Charleston, however I feel that you should spend more time in San Francisco. Such a beautiful city! Keep the entire day free for your drive from Atascadero to San Francisco via Pacific Highway so you can take as many stops as you want to click photos, get down at the beaches etc,.
If you still have time left once you reach San Francisco go for the night city tour or just roam around on your own. Plenty of Streets to explore.

The Hop on Hop off bus tour of San Francisco was the best of the lot albeit a bit expensive but totally worth it. You should spend at least 3 days to do justice to it.

Hope the above helps! Let me know if you have any doubts.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2023 at 01:13. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 8th July 2023, 15:58   #28
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning a family trip in the September of 2023 to USA. We plan to cover the below places

New York
Chicago
Miami(Florida)
Las Vegas.
Washingdon DC

Going first time, please let me know how many days should be enough to cover each places..
No driving, mostly buses or flights.

Thanks,
Old 8th July 2023, 16:53   #29
BHPian

Quote:
As per my earlier post I am planning a summer trip to US with family and we plan to cover NY, DC, FL, LA, LV and SFO. :
Where did you stay in NY, LV, DC, FL?
Can you please tell the hotel names, plan is to go in month of September?
Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th July 2023 at 01:14. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos.
Old 13th July 2023, 16:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Where did you stay in NY, LV, DC, FL?
Can you please tell the hotel names, plan is to go in month of September?
Thanks.
Hey , apologies for delayed response.

I postponed my trip due to the visa delays. However, as per my knowledge , if you are travelling with family and kids it is advisable to book an Air BnB with a super host.

This will give you the flexibility of making your own meals and save a lot on restaurant food costs.

Would it be possible for you to share your plan if possible ?

Regards
Diesel
Dieseltuned is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed