Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2019, 01:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen-Panamic-Agham-Chusul-MitpalTso-KaksangLa-TsoKar-KyunTso!

The Sixteenth Day

Our target for the day was Lucknow or Kanpur. We saw this at the start of the day and that kind of made our, otherwise boring day.
Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso-img_8847.jpg
Eastern Peripheral Expressway, Yamuna Expressway and Agra Lucknow expressway was effortless but boringly uneventful

But we decided to head to Kanpur rather than Lucknow, even fully aware of the roadworks going on at the Allahabad-Varanasi section. We wanted to take-on a known devil.

So, we branched off the Agra-Lucknow-expressway near Etawah and took the fabulous Etawah-Kanpur stretch while bidding farewell to the last few rays of the day.
Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso-img_89011.jpg
The Day Seventeen

The very last day, home was 1000kms away. Had knowledge of the setbacks in the middle. Reaching Allahabad bypass was a breeze, but the story was planned to start after that and it surely did. Allahabad-Varanasi stretch took around 3.5 hours and in extreme heat. The AC was keeping us comfortable, but we knew it was having a very hard time in doing so.

The road surface had melted in parts and it continued till we reached Bihar. Bihar onwards, the going got smooth. Had late lunch at Shan-e Punjab at Topchanchi, sadly the last few minutes of our trip
Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso-img_20190610_171954841.jpg
We were back home, 1027kms from where we started in the morning, by 10:45pm just in time for dinner!

In the end, we managed to contain overshooting our trip plan to just one day!

The trip made us clock 7517kms door-to-door, many high passes, some of the most difficult routes, most importantly, six days of extreme heat, many days of extreme chill (sometimes variations within a day itself).

Marengo, our 2010 Scorpio 4wd, now with more than 2lakhs 13thousand kms on the odo simply took it in its stride without (almost - barring sputtering a bit, on bad fuel from interiors of Ladakh) a hiccup.

But like before, the heart isn't done with Ladakh yet! Which is why am writing this Travelogue, to relive, or probably for the Daughter to read much later! She's the best thing to have happened to me!

So long Ladakh!! Thukjeche!
Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso-img_9295.jpg
1100D is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 06:38   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso

Note from mod: Thread moved to Travelogues section. Thanks for Sharing this amazing Travelogue
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 06:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

re: Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso

If you had gone ahead from Kyun Tso and turned right, you would have eventually hit Tso Moriri from the "other side"

Or gotten hopelessly lost like we did before doing some marshland driving to get back on the track and then back to Tso Moriri the other side, where a very angry ITBP officer asked us "Aap Yahan se Kaise Aai"
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 10:24   #19
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso

This is a travelogue of epic proportions !

You guys have literally covered every corner left in the region. Mushkoh Valley is a nice addition to the itinerary. Me and fellow bhpian MonaroCV8 recently had a discussion regarding his trip to the beautiful virgin lush green Mushkoh Valley. Its a treat to see pictures from the lesser visited places like the Mirpal Tso and Yaye Tso as well. Probably the Kakasang La route is one of those least visited routes in entire Ladakh.

Any idea if Umling La is accessible now? I heard the DC office had stopped issuing permits as some sensitive pictures were leaked out by tourists.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 11:07   #20
BHPian

Re: Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen-Panamic-Agham-Chusul-MitpalTso-KaksangLa-TsoKar-KyunTso!

Amazing, amazing. When I read the title, thought this is just another Leh. But this is 1100D, there should be something new and damn interesting and you have never disappointed. Least to say about your write up filled with breathtaking pictures, I just loved everything you wrote.

I was intrigued by the expression of the camel, what a pose!
Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso-db2.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
When we reached Diskit, there was still some left-over daylight and decided to take a stroll down to Hunder and these double hunched Camels
Quote:
Photographers make a great deal out of taking animal photographs. Big lenses, this, that!! All you need is a slope, a stupid animal that doesn't know what's happening, click picture from the driver's seat, say "Thank You" to the animal and move on.
Hilarious , I guess our forum wildlife photographers such as Nilanjan and Stryker aren't offended and learn a thing or two from your stealth tricks.

Quote:
Like mentioned before the white sediment is not snow
If this is high altitude salt flats, this photo remembers me one of my dream destinations "Salar de Uyuni" (picture reference). I know I will never get to see given the distance and moolah needed. But your picture has given a hope that is realizable "Salar de Tso Kar".
Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso-db5.png

Quote:
Few more kilometres down the road was the Goosebumps inducing battlefield.
Literally I had goosebumps on seeing Siachen glacier. Thanks a ton.

Quote:
But like before, the heart isn't done with Ladakh yet! Which is why am writing this Travelogue, to relive, or probably for the Daughter to read much later! She's the best thing to have happened to me!
Really kudos to you and your family for the perseverance, I was hoping you would end this log with the beginning "I will be back". Surely will be looking forward for the next.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 11:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Lovely travelogue, 1100D! Have read a lot of Leh and Ladakh travelogues before, but this one shows your experience and the fact that you made the treacherous journey seem so easy. Glad to see your Scorpio chugging along perfectly even after 2 plus lakh kilometres!

Regards,
boniver.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 11:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ladakh Re-Juleh'd! With Siachen - Panamic - Agham - Mitpal Tso - Kaksang La - Tso Kar - Kyun Tso

That was a wonderful wonderful travelogue. I just got back from from a 10 day Ladakh road trip from 5th to 15th June with Mahindra Adventure. Your write-up brought back memories. We drove from Delhi and we have to take the Amritsar Srinagar route because the Manali Leh Highway was closed. Climbing Zoji La was fun and the best part was we got snowfall at Khardungla. We were a convoy of 20 SUVs, while I drove an XUV300 all the way.
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 11:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Thanks for amazing travelogue with beautiful photographs.
I was eagerly waiting for this season(2019)'s Leh travelogue and you started with a bang. Rated five stars.

This Chusul-Mirapal Tso-Kaksang La- Tso Moriri looks really interesting ( and scary). Last year during May, we were not allowed to go on this route. As per ITBP CP guys at Chusul, that route is exclusively for Army guys. Luckily, this year this route is opened for tourists and thanks for providing first-hand information (and photographs ) of this route. Oh, and yes, Muskoh valley was a nice addition to your route.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 12th July 2019 at 12:00.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 15:03   #24
BHPian

Fabulous to read and experience the journey you described. I have not yet been to Ladakh, well definitely wish to make it some day. Doing this challenging long trips and ofcourse changing those tyres at such high altitudes speaks about your fitness. I did Spiti some time back and some of these pics made me remember the chill and eerie feeling one gets, standing and staring at these vast lanscapes or driving through them, especially in a hatch!
Enjoyed a lot!
arindam_xeta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 15:33   #25
BHPian

Magnificent! No praises would suffice for this one. What an adventure! Makes me feel privileged to have had the chance to share tarmac with Marengo around Karnal during this very trip. Now, we do not need to spend time planning our Ladakh-Redux anymore, will simply try following Marengo's tracks.

Thank you for sharing!
mi2n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 16:52   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

wow, such less words but tremendous impact. The photos are brilliant too.

Felt like being with you, thanks for sharing, and congratulations.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 17:23   #27
BHPian

Nice travelogue, 1100D! Scrolled through and it felt like a story being told.
Great that you traveled on less frequented trails like Kaksang La and Ryul and Chilling Tso's.

Ladakh is on my radar this year but fair amount of luck is required to accomplish the "grandest of all travels". Cheers and keep sharing!
gearhead_mait is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 17:47   #28
BHPian

@1100D! Lovely TL yet again! Personally, I love the Tata 207 bumper on your ride! A vast improvement on the approach angles and the damage protection that it offers. Lovely pics as usual, and congratulations on getting Leh'ed!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 18:39   #29
BHPian

Magical trip, I must say. A deep dive into the region.
Lots of details shared to replicate such a trip. Goldmine of information that would help any traveler to nail that region. I might just bug you when time arrives and I get the opportunity to do such a trip. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Last edited by ARAY : 12th July 2019 at 18:53.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 21:15   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

What a fantastic travelogue!

You and Marengo have set a different benchmark for road trips! Your wife and Anoushka deserves equal appreciation for being a part of such adventurous and hectic trips. Kudos to all four of you! Looking forwards for more such travelogue's from you in the future!

Lively pictures with great narration. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your travelogue from the back seat of my Etios ! A rare day, when i do not regret of not being on the drivers seat!

Rated 5*. I know you prefer 'Mars' over 5 Star but i do not have that option here!

Last edited by Samba : 12th July 2019 at 21:24.
Samba is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks