Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2007, 00:49   #16
BANNED

Nice report and pics.

WagonR has turned a favorite amongst many in India. It sure can do it's job in a humble but good way. It has lived long enough to show it's bad mouthers their chairs. Ofcourse, the car is not perfect but it's not a bad car either.

CrazyDriver! Thanks for writing up this fantastic report. Yes, it is illegal to carry more people in a car than what it is supposed to be. But, I understand it happens.

This is a public forum and different people have different opinions. Some tend to take some aspects of road safety very seriously and some beg to differ. So, don't worry too much about the comments here. Everybody is just being a bit helpful here and don't take it seriously or personal.

Next time be cautious and don't carry more people in your car. If you do have to due to some circumstances, just don't shout to the world.
Old 9th February 2007, 20:25   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Nice report there crazy driver. Appreciate all the time and effort you put in so that all of us at team-bhp could experience your adventure.

The WagonR sure has lived up to its Multi Activity vehicle[that's the fullform of MAV right] tag.

I also think thats the full form... But Maruti stopped calling it so long back... Only the first model wagonR (before the clear lens wallas came out) had the MAV tag... (May be, cause people associated MAV with MUV... he he...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Nice report and pics.
WagonR has turned a favorite amongst many in India. It sure can do it's job in a humble but good way. It has lived long enough to show it's bad mouthers their chairs. Ofcourse, the car is not perfect but it's not a bad car either.
CrazyDriver! Thanks for writing up this fantastic report. Yes, it is illegal to carry more people in a car than what it is supposed to be. But, I understand it happens.
This is a public forum and different people have different opinions. Some tend to take some aspects of road safety very seriously and some beg to differ. So, don't worry too much about the comments here. Everybody is just being a bit helpful here and don't take it seriously or personal.
Next time be cautious and don't carry more people in your car. If you do have to due to some circumstances, just don't shout to the world.
Exactly my point...

he he... I understand... I had posted this in another thread... And i got a good amount of criticism...
I thought many times over starting this thread...
And thats exactly why i began the story with a request...

I had to tell this because i was more than impressed with the car... I thought i would have one of the worst drives of my life.... But ended far far better from what i expected... So... I owe the report to the car...

And about the previous lil 'coversation' (wasnt an argument)... Its competely agreeable... He has a point there... And i understand that he is saying that for my welfare only... But, i didnt have any say in the decision... And what happened cant be undone...

By the way, i was going to contact you... need some help and some valuable advice... Will PM you soon...
Old 15th February 2007, 04:49   #18
BHPian

Nice report. How long did it take for you to go from TVM to Thenmala (driving time + breaks) and return drive too?
Old 15th February 2007, 11:09   #19
BHPian

You could have done your bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I understand...
And, as for the incident... I have explained my situation... I know what i did was wrong... But in the given circumstances, i dont make decisions...
The location and pics are great.

I am not in to an argument, but could you have said I am not driving or accompanying the party if it is 6 Adults + a child. I can quote 2 incidents where I had to be firm about this.

Once my uncle wanted to adjust some how, he'd have been 6th adult in my car. I firmly said no, simple. He was very unhappy, but I'd not bend. He still remembers it.

In another incident, I called my family back fighting the bitterness of our relatives. 4 adults of good physique and 3 children with a driver wanted to travel in Indica. I came to know while they were half way through their journey. I said you guys are not going any where, come back. I had to explain every one what Indica is meant for, acceptable load per tire and situations we saw on highways of cars with broke axles, etc..

You can do it, you have to be ready to face some bitterness and resistance. Sorry about the long one, but I thought I'd put in my two cents.
Old 26th February 2007, 14:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983 View Post
Let me guess... the kid sat on the lap of an adult in the front, right? This is the most risky seat you can put a kid in. At all times, no matter what the contingency, children should always be seated in the back.

If hiring an innova /SUV was expensive, you could have hired an Indica and took it along with your car.
He he he... that would have been even more expensive. An Indica plus the wagonR. I dont think he was in a position to do anything that you guys were suggesting, he was simply being the willing driver of his dad's car.
Old 26th February 2007, 17:50   #21
BHPian

there was some thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
He he he... that would have been even more expensive. An Indica plus the wagonR. I don't think he was in a position to do anything that you guys were suggesting, he was simply being the willing driver of his dad's car.
At the least he could have said I am not driving if thats the case. He did not have to be willing. The upper case is not for shouting, but a bold possibility, not tough at all.
Old 26th February 2007, 18:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
At the least he could have said I am not driving if thats the case. He did not have to be willing. The upper case is not for shouting, but a bold possibility, not tough at all.
Easy to say, but it doesn't work that way. When I bought my first car (Omni) in India, I ended up carrying 8-10 people many times in it thanks to my mother's big heart. Any wedding we attend she went around inviting friends and relative to hitch a ride. At my brother's wedding, I let the temporary driver to drive away my car with 7-8 people and I took the bus home. It is very difficult to turn away the extra guests invited by your own parents without causing some serious relationship damage (with the guests). Couple of years back I booked an amby taxi to take 4 of us (me, my brother, my parents) to an wedding reception. When we turned back, my parents had invited 3 more relatives to join up, my dad's sister and couple of cousins. It was already late night, I couldn't say no, so we returned 7+1 sandwiched like crazy. After 30 minutes I couldn't feel my leg, I asked the driver to stop and literally fell out of the car. I limped around for a while and spent 5 minutes by the road side getting blood back into my legs.

These days I draw the line at 6 (may be plus one kid) on my Baleno.
Old 26th February 2007, 18:39   #23
BHPian

You said it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Easy to say, but it doesn't work that way. When I bought my first car (Omni) in India, I ended up carrying 8-10 people many times in it thanks to my mother's big heart. Any wedding we attend she went around inviting friends and relative to hitch a ride. At my brother's wedding, I let the temporary driver to drive away my car with 7-8 people and I took the bus home. It is very difficult to turn away the extra guests invited by your own parents without causing some serious relationship damage (with the guests). Couple of years back I booked an amby taxi to take 4 of us (me, my brother, my parents) to an wedding reception. When we turned back, my parents had invited 3 more relatives to join up, my dad's sister and couple of cousins. It was already late night, I couldn't say no, so we returned 7+1 sandwiched like crazy. After 30 minutes I couldn't feel my leg, I asked the driver to stop and literally fell out of the car. I limped around for a while and spent 5 minutes by the road side getting blood back into my legs.

These days I draw the line at 6 (may be plus one kid) on my Baleno.
I said it because I faced similar situations, but stuck to my guns. Please refer to my previous post in the same thread. I agree with you in the possibility of straining relationships. My priorities were clear no compromise with safety precautions when danger to lives is involved.

You are able to draw a line now a days tells us it is doable.
Old 26th February 2007, 18:57   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
You are able to draw a line now a days tells us it is doable.
Not always, but being older helps. The original poster here is much younger and was driving his dad's car and not exactly in the position to fight with parents about safety issues.
Old 26th February 2007, 21:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sreenivass, it is pretty simple. Dad says 'go', you go, dad says 'stop' you stop !
Old 26th February 2007, 21:39   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not always, but being older helps. The original poster here is much younger and was driving his dad's car and not exactly in the position to fight with parents about safety issues.

Actually, if i did... Mom's next line would have been 'If you are like this now, what would you do after marriage, ignore us completly?'

Thats her weapon to silence me most of the times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sreenivass, it is pretty simple. Dad says 'go', you go, dad says 'stop' you stop !

Thats about it, to be frank...

When i buy a car (I hope i'll be able to afford a good one after i get a job), i'll be more strict on such issues...

I do make it a practise to wear seatbelts while driving... But whatever i say, parents dont wear it... Says its uncomfortable...
Old 26th February 2007, 23:19   #27
BHPian

it is a little sensitive issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Actually, if i did... Mom's next line would have been 'If you are like this now, what would you do after marriage, ignore us completly?'

Thats her weapon to silence me most of the times...

Thats about it, to be frank...

When i buy a car (I hope i'll be able to afford a good one after i get a job), i'll be more strict on such issues...

I do make it a practise to wear seatbelts while driving... But whatever i say, parents dont wear it... Says its uncomfortable...
Crazy driver,

I think we are getting in to an uncomfortable zone (sensitive issues I mean). If possible try to convince them about safety measures.
Wish you a safe drive every time.
Old 20th February 2008, 15:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

understand the reasons for carrying more passengers in the car. but, around pune I have seen most of maruti vehicles being driven with more passengers than recommended be it small 800, alto or even swift & baleno. I haven't seen other brands around pune with more passengers, may be maruti owners are more confident about pulling power of their vehicles

Most Viewed