Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 20:48   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Spiti Valley in our Mahindra Thar

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Fantastic travelogue with lots of details and lovely pictures. 6793 Kilometers is epic. You have moved to South India but that is not stopping you from visits to the Himalayas! The Thar is looking beautiful. Thanks for the travelogue, keep driving and sharing.
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 21:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

First you got Leh'd and now Spitified! You are on a roll.

What a lovely travelogue with some breathtaking pics. Rated 5*

The Thar looks absolutely perfect in this rough and unforgiving terrain.
Your travelogue reminds me of our last year's Spiti memories.

Sharing a pic of Bhpian avrendu's Thar, from our last year's Spiti drive. I bet no other vehicle can look this gorgeous in these kind of terrains.

As there is a common saying 'Matches are made in heaven', it holds true for the match between Thar & Himalaya too!

Bangalore to Spiti Valley in our Mahindra Thar-img_6947e.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 15th December 2019 at 21:59.
Samba is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 22:20   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
Papers -
  • Authorisation letter - As the primary owner of the Thar is my Mom. We got a notarized letter of authorization for both of us to drive the Thar without the owner's presence
This is the first time I am hearing about stamp paper being needed to drive a private car. My car is registered in my company's name and I've never needed any further paperwork to drive it anywhere I want to. Does such a requirement actually exist or did you just hedge yourself to avoid harassment by unscrupulous local cops and taxi mafias?
Old 15th December 2019, 22:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This is the first time I am hearing about stamp paper being needed to drive a private car. My car is registered in my company's name and I've never needed any further paperwork to drive it anywhere I want to. Does such a requirement actually exist or did you just hedge yourself to avoid harassment by unscrupulous local cops and taxi mafias?
I am the primary user of my father's motorcycle and car both of which are registered in his name. I was once pulled over and challaned (in April 2018) for not carrying an authorisation letter from my father allowing me to drive the vehicle. My argument was, my DL has my father's name written on it and that should be enough to prove that we share a blood relation and that a son can drive his father's car. The policeman remarked that it doesn't matter, as even sons steal their parents' things. Mind you, this happened when my mother and sister were present with me in the car. So I got an authorisation letter done on a stamp paper after that, but I haven't been stopped since then. My guess is, police will find something or the other to harass and charge you with. The next time I'm stopped, they'll check all my documents and ask me for another new document and fine me for not having it. It's the way things work here.
boniver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 23:51   #20
BHPian

@navsjab, that is an epic and inspiring travelogue and your travel over 6700+ KM is like intergalactic, and for your information more than the distance between Delhi to London. So pat yourself on the back

Quote:
The narrow 4x4 stretch for the Kamru fort once we completed the ascend
I have a question, the WRV is not 4x4, did it manage well the same climb and even with FWD setup? What I am trying to gauge is if this trip is doable in a RWD Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
My guess is, police will find something or the other to harass and charge you with. The next time I'm stopped, they'll check all my documents and ask me for another new document and fine me for not having it. It's the way things work here.
While I cannot deny your claim of finding umpteen options to book you on a ticket, the authorization letter is actually a mandate which is many a time not requested to be produced by the police. I have even read that while visiting outside your registration state a NOC is also required. Now coming back to the letter, here are two reasons where it will be useful.
  1. Someone is found driving your vehicle, and is caught with some illegal goods in the back seat of the car. In this situation without a valid authorization (and ideally an handover signature with date and time) from you, the driver can deny ownership of those items and the liability or the harassment may be all yours.
  2. The car is involved in an accident and gets seized by police, depending upon whether the person driving the car was doing under your permission or not it will matter how insurance will settle the matter, a stolen vehicle damage liability or 3rd party accident damage or both. You understand what kind of dispute it may be.
haisaikat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 01:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
While I cannot deny your claim of finding umpteen options to book you on a ticket, the authorization letter is actually a mandate which is many a time not requested to be produced by the police.
Agree with your points. However, I don't see the point of a son getting an authorisation from his father especially when the father's name is also mentioned on the DL. Also, I asked a lot of my friends and their drivers, and none of them have heard about or carry an authorisation letter with them.

Quote:
I have even read that while visiting outside your registration state a NOC is also required.
That is an absurd rule!

@navsjab: Just finished reading the entire travelogue from start to finish. Wonderfully written! That picture with your wife and the Thar at Suicide Point is mesmerising. I've shared that picture with a few friends too, so that we can marvel at it together. Hope you won't mind!
On another note, congratulations on your Thar completing 40k kms while on the trip. Must have been really special!

Last edited by boniver : 16th December 2019 at 01:50. Reason: Grammar
boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:43   #22
BHPian

Wow! Sir, you're an excellent photographer. I would love to travel to Spiti Valley one day, maybe after my board examinations. Thank you for sharing this beautiful travelogue.
BZ25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:15   #23
BHPian

Amazing write-up. I just felt like I've been there by reading your experience and seeing the lovely photos shared.

The Thar does look macho. Keep posting and please don't stop till you explore.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Simply awesome. It is big achievement that you have been to both Leh as well as Spiti. Hats off to you and your friend for driving all the way. The pictures are wonderful and many are poster material too .

On a separate note, how was the comfort of the Thar on such terrain. Being a soft top did you feel that you would have been better in a closed vehicle. Also how did the WRV fare in such environment. I have a WRV and seeing your friends WRV I am wondering if it can do the Leh / Spiti trip without any issues.

Did it get any scrapes on the underbody and any areas where the WRV just gave up in terms of power or traction.

Would you advise going on the WRV to these areas.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 12:31   #25
BHPian

Wow. Superb travelogue Navtej!! It is so good that I feel like leaving for Spiti tonight.

It quite evident from your pictures that you guys enjoyed the trip a lot.

The write is gripping, read it in one go.

Cheers,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 14:09   #26
BHPian

Your Travelogues are just getting better by the day and this one IMHO is your Best so far. Rated 5* !! Very carefully laid out with perfect narrations and adequate details for the fellow BHPians to plan their travel. Spiti has been on my mind since sometime now and this indeed would be a very good reference.

Good to see you and Bhavneet after a long time ever since you moved to Bangalore. Stay Blessed !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 19:45   #27

Please could you tell me what tyres are those on your Thar? Are they A/T? I kinda made a mistake with mine. They are H/T... and heavy. I feel like the Flintstones.
Magnus Drayne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 17:54   #28
BHPian

Fantastic read. That looks like a well maintained Thar.

The special touch of showing the trip meter ! love it
deepcdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 20:39   #29

Simply fantastic write-up, by reading this travelogue, it made me travel alongside you.
The Thar was the hero of this entire trip, without doubt, be proud.
sanloyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 22:11   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The tea was not something I would have again most probably. During the billing process, we were talking to Karan, the owner, when I spoke about Sumitro. He recollected their visit to Deyzor in no time and immediately asked if I would carry a gift for them. I agreed and planned to give it to them whenever they plan to return from UK and I plan to visit Kolkata.
Karan, with the gift to Sumitro and Rajsri, which they have not received till date
We had a wonderful time in Deyzor, thanks to Karan and Simba! Too bad that we could not collect the gift from your home this time, will surely get it next time. Will pass on my thanks to Karan. Posting a few pics of Karan, Simba and us from 2017 -

Bangalore to Spiti Valley in our Mahindra Thar-img_20170529_120656_original.jpg

Bangalore to Spiti Valley in our Mahindra Thar-img_20170529_120818_original.jpg

Bangalore to Spiti Valley in our Mahindra Thar-img_20170529_121607_01_original.jpg

Bangalore to Spiti Valley in our Mahindra Thar-img_20170528_175213_original.jpg

Bangalore to Spiti Valley in our Mahindra Thar-img_20170529_121335_original.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed