Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2019, 17:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Southern Africa: Namibia road-trip in a Toyota Hilux

Excellent journey with unseen Fevicol. Had us glued on to the thread. No doubts, Africa is still untamed beauty.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 17:45   #17
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue! Couldn't help but read in one go and felt like being in Namibia myself!

Can you please share details regarding costs and the experience of dealing with booking agent?
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 18:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Excellent journey with unseen Fevicol. Had us glued on to the thread. No doubts, Africa is still untamed beauty.
Unseen fevicol is a good one Thanks, and agree that africa is still wild and untamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Fantastic travelogue! Couldn't help but read in one go and felt like being in Namibia myself!

Can you please share details regarding costs and the experience of dealing with booking agent?
It can cost between 1.75L-2L per head, if you do all the bookings personally, and always make sure that dealing with bookings online has to have a secure payment gateway. Bank account transfer to a personal account is a strict no for me.
You can get a holiday booked according to your budget, as namibia has facilities for all the pockets.

Funny thing is, i did not read this travelogue in one go before or after i finished it. Should sit and try to read it in one go.

Last edited by drbones : 19th August 2019 at 18:41.
drbones is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 18:41   #19
BHPian

Awesome, awesome Travelogue. Rated the thread the most deserving 5 Stars. Read the entire travelogue in one go. Those pictures captured from the drone have added more variety and gives a new angle of looking into the place. As requested by others please share the itinerary details and cost.

Edit- Just saw you did add the cost in the above post. Thanks!

Last edited by saisree : 19th August 2019 at 18:42.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 22:54   #20
BHPian

Hi sir, we both stay nearby, both of us are Ortho surgeons with travelling enthusiasm but haven't met yet. My mom worked in Botswana for 11 years. I had been to Kalhari desert and have driven Hilux extensively across Zimbabwe and Botswana.

Travelling to Southern region of Africa and driving on the arrow straight roads for hundreds of kilometers, Camping in the animal reserves is truly to be experienced.

Great travelogue sir, I had a great memories running in my mind after reading your journey.

Regards
Drpavan.
drpavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 23:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpavan View Post
Hi sir, we both stay nearby, both of us are Ortho surgeons with travelling enthusiasm but haven't met yet. My mom worked in Botswana for 11 years. I had been to Kalhari desert and have driven Hilux extensively across Zimbabwe and Botswana.

Travelling to Southern region of Africa and driving on the arrow straight roads for hundreds of kilometers, Camping in the animal reserves is truly to be experienced.

Great travelogue sir, I had a great memories running in my mind after reading your journey.

Regards
Drpavan.
Hi drpavan, come down any day to my place. We can meet on a weekend or so, and go for a drive. Botswana is on my wish list, like to explore it on a 79 series land cruiser. Is your mom a doctor too? Will inform you about our next ortho meet too if interested, you can join us. My contact - 9705344277.

Last edited by drbones : 19th August 2019 at 23:15.
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 23:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
Hi drpavan, come down any day to my place. We can meet on a weekend or so, and go for a drive. Botswana is on my wish list, like to explore it on a 79 series land cruiser. Is your mom a doctor too? Will inform you about our next ortho meet too if interested, you can join us. My contact - 9705344277.
Definitely sir, we can meet over a weekend and go for a ride in your Gypsy. My mom is not a doctor, she used to work for University of Botswana as the HOD of Home Economics department. We stayed at Francis town and Tonota.

As far as I remember all the Safari vehicles in the Animal reserves are Land Cruisers of various generations.

Will be pleased to meet during the Ortho meet as well. Will contact you soon.

Thank you,
Drpavan.
drpavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:29   #23
BHPian

Awesome read. Drone photography adds a different dimension to the captures.

Indeed felt like was travelling with you; lucid narration.

And that Hilux is indeed a beast
yogeshsom29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue and pictures, Mate. You 4 give serious Boy Club goals. Lots of people do traverse the African Continent and it is very heartening to see that Indians are now adding their name and footprints on that mysterious and yet beautiful place.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 13:10   #25
BHPian

Great travelogue, wild Africa has always been in my go-to bucket list, you have increased the thirst more.
By the way I believe you have used a drone for a few pictures, which model did you use? Also if you can share more pics clicked from the drone, that would be great.
Cheers!
jkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 14:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great read and the snaps are a feast for eyes.

How safe is the place for a road trip with family and what is the minimum duration that you will be able to recommend.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 16:05   #27
BHPian

Thanks for the information, very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
Surprised how you know my name.
I just joined chorus with Crazy driver. Also since I had followed your travelogues I guess, your introductory thread has name specified.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 18:19   #28
BHPian

Really good thread giving us an insight into Africa, it's safaris, wildlife and culture. Would love to catch up if ever you plan to do a drive till/ around Hyd.

What were the odo readings on the Hilux you took, other LC s that you saw there? If the figures are low do you think they could have been rolled back or reset? How would you compare the road conditions (urban, rural and in the wild), road and traffic manners to the ones in Andhra/ Telangana? What meat did you barbeque - did you get chicken, lamb or were you given whatever they could hunt in the wild?

Bharat

Last edited by bharatbits : 20th August 2019 at 18:22.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 18:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue.
An unique one with the animals and the 4x4 trucks.
This one has piqued my interests, I always prefer traveling to see the marvels of nature than man made ones, definitely on my bucket list.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 20:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshsom29 View Post
Awesome read. Drone photography adds a different dimension to the captures.

Indeed felt like was travelling with you; lucid narration.

And that Hilux is indeed a beast
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Excellent travelogue and pictures, Mate. You 4 give serious Boy Club goals. Lots of people do traverse the African Continent and it is very heartening to see that Indians are now adding their name and footprints on that mysterious and yet beautiful place.
Its always best to explore any place by road, africa is just awesome if explored by road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaushik View Post
Great travelogue, wild Africa has always been in my go-to bucket list, you have increased the thirst more.
By the way I believe you have used a drone for a few pictures, which model did you use? Also if you can share more pics clicked from the drone, that would be great.
Cheers!
I used a Mavic pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Great read and the snaps are a feast for eyes.

How safe is the place for a road trip with family and what is the minimum duration that you will be able to recommend.
Namibia is a very safe place for road trip, Make sure you reach your destination before night fall. People are friendly and very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Really good thread giving us an insight into Africa, it's safaris, wildlife and culture. Would love to catch up if ever you plan to do a drive till/ around Hyd.

Will be in hyderabad this saturday and sunday for a conference, we can meet if possible, i am not driving down this time.

What were the odo readings on the Hilux you took, other LC s that you saw there? If the figures are low do you think they could have been rolled back or reset? How would you compare the road conditions (urban, rural and in the wild), road and traffic manners to the ones in Andhra/ Telangana? What meat did you barbeque - did you get chicken, lamb or were you given whatever they could hunt in the wild?

Bharat
Hilux odo is 47K when i took the key, but its highly unlikely mileage for a 2017 model? but vehicles are maintained in top class condition. 80% of roads are gravel with corrugations, 20% are smooth tarmac. There is good driving sense, its as good as any european country. One can get all type of meats in any supermarket. We preferred chicken for cooking.
drbones is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks