Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2019, 21:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: S-Cross'd : Kodaikanal (without visiting it) and a walk to Munnar

22nd June 2019, Sunday

And as I promised, I drove back to prove the point. On 22nd of June, exactly two weeks later I was here in search of the aborted mission.

Dharumathumpatti to Kilakuchettipatti via Adalur, last time we did it in the night after 19:00

We went in search of the Kodai Turn off, This time due to a fallen tree in the broken road, mission aborted again

The road which was forking from KilakkuChettiPatti, surprisingly joins at Perumparai via Thadiyankudishu. With this finding, Route 3 and 4 is viable and proven

Perumaprai to Sitherevu exit, our already proven Route 2

The connection which proves Route 3 and 4. The Red arrow is not required anymore to be proven. We have better roads.
S-Cross'd : Kodaikanal (without visiting it) and a walk to Munnar-p02.jpg

GPS trail
ProofRoute3_4.kml

Thanks for reading.

An exploratory drive thus comes to an end.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th August 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
laluks is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 23:16   #47
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Thread moved to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 01:08   #48
BHPian

Wow, what a log. Not often we find travelogues that have a theme, and this one is darn interesting. I can sense your versatile personality. A cautious dad when traveling with family to an all out explorer otherwise. The way you play with maps, take a jungle trail without a guide, spot alternate trails, navigate and trace back your steps precisely

Thanks for writing an exhilarating log, a totally new perspective of Kodai. Envy the explorer in you.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 28th August 2019 at 01:10.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 07:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Wow, what a log. Not often we find travelogues that have a theme, and this one is darn interesting. I can sense your versatile personality. A cautious dad when traveling with family to an all out explorer otherwise. The way you play with maps, take a jungle trail without a guide, spot alternate trails, navigate and trace back your steps precisely

Thanks for writing an exhilarating log, a totally new perspective of Kodai. Envy the explorer in you.

Thanks Thermodynamics for the kind words. Such drives work out since I have a few colleagues who are ever prepared to join me on short notice, and short notice trips often gets a different theme to make the nearby places look and feel different
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 07:35   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing travelogue. Loved it.

My maternal hometown is Pannaikadu and it was good to see video/pictures of the place after a long time. Thanks for sharing.

In the past, I have discussed with friends about the trek between Kadavari and Koviloor but we never did it. I was told by the local forest rangers in Munnar side (This was many years before) that this route has wildlife and we should be extremely careful. Didn't you see any of them other than the dog? Or did you hear anything about wildlife spotting by the locals?

These days we don't have to go all way to Dindugal to get decent accommodation or pay jacked-up rates in the Kodai town. There are good options all around. For example, near the notorious checkpost just before the Ghat road starts for Kodai, there's a retirement village/Holiday home called Bahri Beautiful Country. They aren't cheap exactly but maintained well.

To be honest, I'm happy that the route between Munnar and Kodai and the Adukam forest route are like this. They should remain inaccessible by the general tourists. Otherwise, it'll be ruined like how the main Kodai town was ruined. The Kodaikanal town I used to visit 30 years before was so much more beautiful and peaceful.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 07:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Amazing travelogue. Loved it.

My maternal hometown is Pannaikadu and it was good to see video/pictures of the place after a long time. Thanks for sharing.

In the past, I have discussed with friends about the trek between Kadavari and Koviloor but we never did it. I was told by the local forest rangers in Munnar side (This was many years before) that this route has wildlife and we should be extremely careful. Didn't you see any of them other than the dog? Or did you hear anything about wildlife spotting by the locals?

These days we don't have to go all way to Dindugal to get decent accommodation or pay jacked-up rates in the Kodai town. There are good options all around. For example, near the notorious checkpost just before the Ghat road starts for Kodai, there's a retirement village/Holiday home called Bahri Beautiful Country. They aren't cheap exactly but maintained well.

To be honest, I'm happy that the route between Munnar and Kodai and the Adukam forest route are like this. They should remain inaccessible by the general tourists. Otherwise, it'll be ruined like how the main Kodai town was ruined. The Kodaikanal town I used to visit 30 years before was so much more beautiful and peaceful.
Thanks kiku.

Not a mention of any wild life by local farmers. Especially the route from Koviloor till the farmland sees pickup traffic for the produce to be transported to Kerala side. But possible.

Munnar Kodai, will not be connected for sure. I was nostalgic about the older route which we took in the nineties, from below top slip via Berijam to Kodai. Now it's part of Pambadum Shola park and is restricted on both sides.

But I am not so sure about Adukkam, a good road is getting built. Another few years it will be done. Just 10KMs to be finished!

Kodaikanal is lost beyond recovery. The traffic we saw on a Saturday is anything to go by, its better to stop visiting Kodai town completely. Stay costs are exorbitant!!
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 01:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: S-Cross'd : Kodaikanal (without visiting it) and a walk to Munnar

Wonderful travelogue! I cannot imagine the patience you must have had to map out and follow this route completely.

Nostalgic about Kodai - studied there for many years and still have fond memories of Kookal, Berijam lake and of course Kodai. 30 years ago, Kodai was a wonderful place to be - even then, we sometimes felt it was crowded but wasn't as bad as I guess it is now.

And as I remember, had some friends who studied with me from Pannaikadu, Perumalmalai. We've done quite a bit of trekking to small villages around Kodai - we had a class teacher who was adventurous and would take us. I remember even spraining my ankle and friends carrying me for miles! Heck, that was what I remembered as soon I saw the pics of your treks!

Thanks for the memories.
naveenroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 06:47   #53
BHPian

Among the southern hills, Kodaikanal had been my favourite so far. But you sir, have shared even more secluded locations of the region. Landscape shots are the best.
This thread brought back some fond memories from our Kodai trip - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...uster-awd.html (Hyderabad - Kodaikanal in a Duster AWD)

Were you running any GPS tracker during the trip, if yes, I will ping you 1-1 for coordinates of few secluded locations you shared.
Keep traveling and Sharing such wonderful experiences with us.

Last edited by ARAY : 29th August 2019 at 06:49.
ARAY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 08:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Wonderful travelogue! I cannot imagine the patience you must have had to map out and follow this route completely.

Nostalgic about Kodai - studied there for many years and still have fond memories of Kookal, Berijam lake and of course Kodai. 30 years ago, Kodai was a wonderful place to be - even then, we sometimes felt it was crowded but wasn't as bad as I guess it is now.

And as I remember, had some friends who studied with me from Pannaikadu, Perumalmalai. We've done quite a bit of trekking to small villages around Kodai - we had a class teacher who was adventurous and would take us. I remember even spraining my ankle and friends carrying me for miles! Heck, that was what I remembered as soon I saw the pics of your treks!

Thanks for the memories.
Thanks naveen. Well, Patience not much! Probably you must ask my copassenger . Envy you spending good times in Kodai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Among the southern hills, Kodaikanal had been my favourite so far. But you sir, have shared even more secluded locations of the region. Landscape shots are the best.
Were you running any GPS tracker during the trip, if yes, I will ping you 1-1 for coordinates of few secluded locations you shared.
Keep traveling and Sharing such wonderful experiences with us.
Thank you ARAY. I had already shared the GPS trails here.

Full drive

Second drive to connect the missing part

Last edited by laluks : 29th August 2019 at 08:27.
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 13:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful travelogue laluks. That's a lot of pictures for a 3-day trip. Really nice pictures though. Bought back memories of my trip to Kodaikanal, which was many years back I don't remember the route we took.

Quote:
Kodaikanal is lost beyond recovery. The traffic we saw on a Saturday is anything to go by, its better to stop visiting Kodai town completely. Stay costs are exorbitant
Its not just Kodai. Any major hill station in the ghats has lost its charm thanks to the number of tourists. Its an amazing place to visit, especially during the monsoon, but anywhere other than the major destinations.

Thanks for sharing the GPS trails.
ChiragM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 13:37   #56
BHPian

Fantabulous and engrossing travelogue. The log epitomizes the traveller in you. The way you spent a weekend clearly shows that you embrace the ideology of "Its the Journey and not the destination that matters". I admire the amount of research you have put to understand all thepossible routes. This is definitely an encyclopedia for future kodai travellers.
SUBRU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:09   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Kodaikanal is lost beyond recovery. The traffic we saw on a Saturday is anything to go by, its better to stop visiting Kodai town completely. Stay costs are exorbitant!!
Absolutely true statement. I had begun planning a Kodai trip for the upcoming long weekend (with next Monday off for Ganesh Chaturthi) and then 2 things transpired-
1) A Colleague reminded me that highway traffic leading out of Chennai on Ganesh Chaturthi weekends are classically clogged every year. Just getting out of the city limits will be a huge task.
2) I only had to close my eyes and recall the smell of diesel fumes, burnt clutch plates and brake pads in Kodai/Ooty on a long weekend.
Thus, I'll be lounging at home this weekend
I have simply lived my aspirations out vicariously through your travelogue. Thanks for the write-up!
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 15:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Wonderful travelogue laluks. .....

Thanks for sharing the GPS trails.
Thanks Chirag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBRU View Post
Fantabulous and engrossing travelogue. The log epitomizes the traveller in you. The way you spent a weekend clearly shows that you embrace the ideology of "Its the Journey and not the destination that matters". I admire the amount of research you have put to understand all thepossible routes. This is definitely an encyclopedia for future kodai travellers.
Thanks SUBRU. Yeah, you said it right, its the journey that matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Absolutely true statement. I had begun planning a Kodai trip for the upcoming long weekend (with next Monday off for Ganesh Chaturthi) and then 2 things transpired-
1) A Colleague reminded me that highway traffic leading out of Chennai on Ganesh Chaturthi weekends are classically clogged every year. Just getting out of the city limits will be a huge task.
2) I only had to close my eyes and recall the smell of diesel fumes, burnt clutch plates and brake pads in Kodai/Ooty on a long weekend.
Thus, I'll be lounging at home this weekend
I have simply lived my aspirations out vicariously through your travelogue. Thanks for the write-up!
Thanks locus jag. No definitely not on those dates . Off seasons are the best, may be working days !!

Enjoy your stay at home, and wishing loads of home food.
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 15:58   #59
BHPian

Wow! After your Goa travelogue this one is very detailed. I saw your travelogue thread yesterday but decided to read it today because your travelogue will be filled with details which gives us a virtual tour and I wanted to experience it. Last April we visited Kodaikanal but the climate was not good except during night time. We visited Kodai many times and I believe she is losing her charm quickly and I decided not to visit her for few more years.

Nice Travelogue. Thanks for Sharing
TorqueKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 16:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
Wow! After your Goa travelogue this one is very detailed. I saw your travelogue thread yesterday but decided to read it today because your travelogue will be filled with details which gives us a virtual tour and I wanted to experience it. Last April we visited Kodaikanal but the climate was not good except during night time. We visited Kodai many times and I believe she is losing her charm quickly and I decided not to visit her for few more years.

Nice Travelogue. Thanks for Sharing
Thanks TorqueKnight.

Kodai is loosing charm, the infamous check post, crowds, exorbitant hotel rates, parking issues - well this is not one looks while on a holiday. Its unfortunate but inevitable mess. I guess this is the state of all touristy places.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks