Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2019, 19:00   #31
BHPian

Re: An adventure honeymoon: 1500 km bike ride through the Himalayas!

Excellent travelogue, sticked on till the last word.

I own a RE but have never taken up a long trip. But post your trip, I think some basic mechanical knowledge of the brining back the bike to a running condition is a must for such long endurance trips if done solo.

And congratulations on your marriage. Wish you a happy married life.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wow, What an amazing travelogue!

You got your hands on an RE500 first time in your life and rode to Leh. Believe me, that's an amazing achievement. Your narration and attention to detail are excellent. The frequent mention of military movement and the situation at Srinagar was really nicely narrated. We read all kinds of news but this was some real reporting from ground zero.

Btw, from the last two years, I am noticing the tricks of canceling far away places like Tso Moriri and Hanle by mentioning landslides or other problems by the tour operator. In fact, several legal cases are going on between clients and tour operators due to this reason. IMHO, your fellow riders were right in fighting with the tour operator for canceling Tso Moriri. Howver, the important point is you enjoyed the trip and that's all it matters.

Oh and yes! Happy Married life !
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 14:45   #33
BHPian

Lovely narration and writing skills there. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the travelogue .Felt like I was re visiting the places I had been to in 2015.

You guys missed out on visiting Turtuk ,ahead of the Nubra Valley. Absolute stunner of a place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Btw, from the last two years, I am noticing the tricks of canceling far away places like Tso Moriri and Hanle by mentioning landslides or other problems by the tour operator. In fact, several legal cases are going on between clients and tour operators due to this reason. IMHO, your fellow riders were right in fighting with the tour operator for canceling Tso Moriri. Howver, the important point is you enjoyed the trip and that's all it matters.
Second this , this looks like profiteering by rumour and fear mongering and absolutely despicable. Not only should they have refunded some amount for the places cancelled due to a change in itinerary. Iinstead, you were made to foot the hotel bills.

Also, the exaggeration on behalf of taxi and tour operators knows no limits as I have experienced on my 3 tours to Ladakh, Kashmir and a winter trip to Spiti ( asked them just for info about weather and road conditions ). The real intensity of the problem is only 10% of what these people state. The dangers of landslides and road closures and heavy snowfall is exaggerated several times than it actually is.

The landslide reports are peddled for several days while the earth movers clear them out immediately or the next day if it's close to sunset. We had an earth mover arrive near Sangla in 30 minutes flat when the HRTC bus I was traveling had to stop due to a massive landslide.

This is the reason why I prefer to travel independently. During my winter Spiti trip, I was lucky to have a very adventurous taxi driver in a Gypsy 4WD, who used to take landslide reports with a pinch of salt and drive up to the place to see ourselves. We were successful 9 out of 10 times.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 2nd December 2019 at 14:49.
Ragavsr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 14:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

It is indeed the journey of a lifetime! Nothing comes even close to that! How did your bikes fare over there? I have very little experience with bikes but our Bullets "rocked" it over there!
The bikes did really well! We were able to travel all across without too many additional cans of fuel, and barring few instances where the Hayate was not able to pull and pillion has to get down, we were surprised with the performance. I guess we were the first ones who completed the circuit on a 100 CC bike :-)
beat runner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 09:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

Thanks KushKaun! We took the package from Global Corporate Tours. They are reliable. They have started bookings for their 2020 Ladakh batches.
PS: I am not in any way associated with them!
Hi,
Thanks for the beautiful travelogue.
I had my honeymoon in Shimla and Manali, but not the way you did though.
I even regret today for not doing Leh and Ladakh in that trip.
I guess the web site of the tour operator is down. Any cost and contact details of them would be helpful please.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed