Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:19   #1
BHPian

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)

Recently on a Sunday, I and my wife visited Chilika lake. The lake as always is beautiful and anyone who has tasted the delicacies of prawns and crabs at Chilika Dhaba would always want to come back for more. There was no specific plan, so we just set off one Sunday morning from Bhubaneswar.

After enjoying the lake at the Barakul view point and enjoying mouth watering tiger prawns at the dhaba for lunch, we still had some time left as we didn't want to head back just yet. A quick search in Google Maps for nearby places showed the OdiArt Center on the road from Chilika Dhaba towards Balugaon. It's a museum; hence I was prepared to have a fairly dull experience, which I wouldn't have mind after that lunch. The dialogue from the Bollywood movie "Hum Tum" came to mind - "Museum bachhe, budhhe aur school teachers ke liye hota hai" ("Museum is for kids, old people and school teachers")! We belong to none of these 3 categories but off we went!

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-map-1.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-map2.jpg

A brief description of the museum as mentioned in their website http://odiartcentre.in/ -

Quote:
ODIART Centre nestling on the bank of Lake Chilika, and developed by the Society for Development of Rural Literature, a registered non-profit cultural society, showcases the traditional, folk and tribal arts of Odisha. It's developed with financial support from Ministry of Culture, Government of India and Department of Tourism and Culture, Government of Odisha.

ODIART houses Purvasha Museum for visual art; Rang Manch for theatre and other performing arts; Prafulla, the library,ODIART Documentation & Research Centre; Kalakriti, the business centre; Gurukul, the training centre for traditional and modern arts; and Santusti, a restaurant specializing in authentic Odia cuisine.

The Purvasha Museum is designed as a space for displaying the rich art heritage of Odisha. The fledgling museum currently exhibits the quintessential Odishan rural, folk and tribal paintings, sculptures and artefacts. It has sixteen galleries. It has collections that is a treat for the eyes. Rang Mach captures and displays live performance of rare folk and tribal troupes.
Some photographs at the entrance -

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-odiart-entrance-wall.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-odiart-entrance-arch.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-entrance-welcome-left.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-entrance-welcome-right.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-entrance-building.jpg

Last edited by FrodoOfTheShire : 2nd September 2019 at 12:15.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:47   #2
BHPian

re: A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)

The entry ticket to the museum costs Rs. 40 per person. We were also given one umbrella each to shade us from the afternoon sun, which came real handy since it was very hot!

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-umbrella.jpg

We set off to explore the compound. The entire area has smaller buildings/museums with pathways, gardens and art installations covering the entire outdoors. The outdoor art installations are made of scrap metal and waste materials.

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-tree.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-garuda.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-wheel-archway.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-wheel-closeup.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-bottle-art-1.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-bottle-art-2.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-boat.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-black-tower.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-metal-globe.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-lamp-posts.jpg

Metal tree and monkeys
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-tree-monkey.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-visitor-resting-place.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-metal-elephant.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-metal-horse.jpg

This is entirely made up of iron nails
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-nail-flower.jpg

These are real ducks!
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-ducks.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-terrcota-art-outdoors.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-white-tower.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-white-tower-closeup.jpg

Multiple pinwheels rotating in the wind -
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-wind-art.jpg

Last edited by FrodoOfTheShire : 2nd September 2019 at 12:22.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:02   #3
BHPian

We went inside the Purvasha Folk and Tribal Art Museum.

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-folk-entrance.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-folk-entrance-2.jpg

The entrance and ceiling were fascinating -

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-folk-entrance-door.jpg

A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-folk-entrance-roof.jpg

Unfortunately photography was not allowed inside, hence will describe briefly what we saw. Its a big compound housing multiple rooms, each room dedicated to a specific folk or tribal art. There were displays of PattaChitra (cloth/canvas based painting using paint prepared from natural ingredients), Palm leaves painting, masks and puppets made of paper mache, Terracotta sculptures, Stone carvings, Wood statues and statues made from rice. There were also other antique items that had been collected from various regions of Odisha, we saw old circular playing cards that were used by kings and old wooden doors with beautiful carvings. Here are some photographs from the OdiArt website for representation -

Remnants of an old carved door -
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-old-door.jpg

Paintings on palm leaves -
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-palm-leaf-painting.jpg

Patta Chitra -
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-pattachitra.jpg

Old playing cards -
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-playing-cards.jpg

Old puppet busts used in folk/tribal dance. Notice the hole in the chest for seeing through -
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-puppets.jpg

Terracotta works -
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-terracota.jpg

Statue made of rice and thread -
A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)-thread-rice-statue.jpg
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:08   #4
BHPian

That's all folks! It was a nice afternoon spent learning something about my culture. Turned out more interesting than I had first thought. It's a peaceful tranquil place, we were the only visitors at the time and the staff were very polite and informative. I understand this not much of a travelogue, but wanted to put this up so that people visiting Chilika Lake would be aware of another nearby place to visit. I would surely be visiting this place again during the winters. Thanks for reading!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:28   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A visit to the Odi Art Centre, near Chilika Lake (Odisha)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 17:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
That's all folks! It was a nice afternoon spent learning something about my culture. Turned out more interesting than I had first thought. It's a peaceful tranquil place, we were the only visitors at the time and the staff were very polite and informative. I understand this not much of a travelogue, but wanted to put this up so that people visiting Chilika Lake would be aware of another nearby place to visit. I would surely be visiting this place again during the winters. Thanks for reading!

Thanks a lot Frodo. While doing Hyderabad - Asansol atleast twice a year, this is my usual route. Last time you updated about Jirang and we were mesmerized by the calmness and seclusion of that place. I shall surely try to cover this place when we drive this time.
I keep telling my friends ( who drive from TS or KA to WB) that OD has lots to explore. I will surely be looking forward to more hidden gems of OD from you mate. Keep traveling and sharing such excellent experiences.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 14:21   #7
BHPian

Damn, I missed this when I visited OD 15 days back. Infact, I missed the Chilika Dhaba food too. I made the mistake of staying in Swosti Chilika ( overpriced and nothing extraordinary ) and missed out on a lot of things around Chilika.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks