Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 14:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

My random musings - Some remnants of our past

Ever felt things were spinning around faster than you want it to be?

Definitely yes - at least for me!

What was it like in the days before automobiles?

Ever got to see how people in the rural hinterland live?

And, got a chance to stumble across ancient remnants of the past?

A collection of un-related, unknown and back of the boondocks locations - while finding the answer to these questions?

A temple from the past, still standing strong -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_4645.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_4656.jpg

An impossible art of balancing?

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_4702.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_4708.jpg

Probably the theory of gravity is the answer to this?

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_4712.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_4718.jpg

And, finally, this the imprint which our forefathers have left for us - why can't we preserve history?

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_4722.jpg
vrprabhu is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 17:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My random musings - Some remnants of our past

Any chance of anyone finding and posting the location of these sites?
Old 25th September 2019, 19:17   #3
BHPian

I always feel sad for the state of these historical monuments and arts. There are many neglected temples, places which can take us back thousand years.

If it would have been in Europe it would have been preserved, secured and made into tourist attraction which have been flooded by tourists.

I always feel that we should compile such a list.

Here is one old temple, which I found in completely neglected state few years back. Today what is the condition I do not know.
Gondeshwar Temple, Sinnar

But the list will come up in the thread and in the individual posts. It needs proper compilation so that list can be navigated easily.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 25th September 2019 at 19:19.
sushantr5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 19:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Given the choice, alpha1, I wouldn't want to, because (a) the pictures are deceptive and there isn't much else to see in these places and (b) it would be interesting only to those who are looking for solitude and get away from madness of touristy places.

However, if you are someone who is interested in history, our past and a bit of archaeology, it may be fascinating.

But, hopefully, at the end of this thread, will try to give the locations; there are quite a bit of places to be seen, and they are all within a 100 km radius....

Next instalment -

A nearly dry river bed. The round structures in the middle of the river are huge wells sunk to pump drinking water. Without water flow and percolation, how will people get water and how do they survive?

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_1998.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2004.jpg

I am not comfortable using Google Maps - especially on a two wheeler. In the hinterland there are unmarked roads and paths, like this one. In fact, if you are unlucky you won't find a soul to guide you. And when night falls? Easy to get lost and go round in circles. But the locals are smart. They make out and use N-E-W-S pointers to guide you to the right direction!!

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2027.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2028.jpg

I manage to find what I was looking for - and also get a bird's eye view of the places which I can go, on the next trip.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2043.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2066.jpg

Interestingly, many of the small hillocks have some huge craters / indentations, which hold water, even if it hadn't rained in months!! Even more curiously, most of such cisterns are shaped like a human foot, which the locals call as 'Hanuman Padham (Foot)'. They say these are foot imprints made by Hanuman in his quest for Sanjeevi....

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2080.jpg

And, this is a small cave shrine -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2087.jpg

I have now come to a conclusion that wherever there is a Shiva Temple, there must be a river or pond or lake nearby. If you don't see one i.e. a water source nearby, it means the water has dried up or destroyed - thanks to our apathy.
vrprabhu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 19:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Archaeological survey of India maintains a good deal of them & then there are state specific department that takes care of a lot of monuments. Once you go through that list and start visiting places, it becomes abundantly clear that it is not easy to preserve these monuments. There is just too many of them. Many of them has just one person to take care of the entire place. They may not see visitors for days on end as well.

While UP has the highest, KA & TN has the highest number of them down south. I have visited several of them ASI monuments in Karnataka & TN. However there are plenty of absolutely important monuments that are not part of ASI \ Any such department but has rich heritage.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 11:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Here is one old temple, which I found in completely neglected state few years back. Today what is the condition I do not know.

But the list will come up in the thread and in the individual posts. It needs proper compilation so that list can be navigated easily.
Aah - Gondeshwar. It brings back fond memories -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-asi.jpg

A very good example of Chalukyas and Hoysala architecture.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-cieling.jpg

Thanks for bringing it up, I will update further pictures here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4630832 (Magnificent Maharashtra - The Mahalog!)

That thread contains some remarkable information on Maharashtra. Sadly, circumstances make me unable to contribute further and keep it live and kicking.

PS - Shiva Temple, with a water body just outside the temple premises, fed by a small stream; take a look at it in the said thread!
vrprabhu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 16:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

The bird's eye view in post #4 enabled me to get here, which is a regulator for the water flow in the river.

The man isn't swimming - he is catching fish; rather deploying his net to catch fish.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2265.jpg

At the end of the day, he and his wife, with their catch. The white dots on the surface of the water are polystyrene (Thermocol) pieces, which act as floaters for their fishing net.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2277.jpg

This is the location of the water regulator (more of that later). If you look closely you can make out an object between the coconut and palm trees -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2285.jpg

- zoom a little, and looks like -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2245.jpg

- the temple!

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2270.jpg

Not a soul in sight, except me and my steed -
My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2278.jpg

Last edited by vrprabhu : 26th September 2019 at 16:18. Reason: Value addition.
vrprabhu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 11:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: My random musings - Some remnants of our past

An ancient temple - reportedly more than 500 years old -

This pillar stands firm - and may have had a glorious past? The vegetation is a threat to its existence, is it??

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2293.jpg

The actual temple - surely looks its age and past its prime.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2294.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2298.jpg

Time has taken its toll, but I guess the people who built it had planned for its longevity?

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2309.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2315.jpg

Quite obviously, this Nandi and Shivling are subsequent additions.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2321.jpg

Because of this -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2320.jpg

A peek inside the temple - the number of pillars inside are what supports the structure

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2325.jpg

Which looks this -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2336.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2338.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2343.jpg

In its days of glory, I am sure that the temple must have been quite a sight. Sadly, all I had on the day of my visit was a lone dog (which can be seen in the first picture)

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2302.jpg
vrprabhu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 05:52   #9
BHPian

Interesting thread. Journey through past. Well said, the Historical things must be preserved, but why leave everything for the government ? If we just do not spoil them, they are as good as preserved. It is the public, tourists, visitors etc. who vandalize such places. We feel pride in inscribing our names to mark our presence there.

Beautiful collection .... please continue. Maybe someone will find a Gem of a place.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 11:41   #10
BHPian

Actually, there are so many of such unknown gems in our country that, without general public's involvement, the govt bodies will find impossible to maintain. A lot of it boils down to our apathy and disregard for our own cultural heritage.

I have seen in Europe people queue-up to pay for things which are far less impressive than what we have in numerous villages across India. The key here is infrastructure, maintenance and marketing. In that sense, here in Goa things are much better compared to neighboring MH or KA due to good roads and accessibility to even smallest of villages.

I have seen temples in MH and KA which can be called 100 times better than Goa's Tambdi Surla in terms of architecture, history and beauty but nobody except nearby villagers know about them due to poor infrastructure and marketing while most people who visits Goa know Tambdi Surla due to better advertising and infrastructure.

But, I am hopeful for the forgotten ones. Thanks to rising tourism and culture of exploring the hidden attractions other than "mass tourism", these gems are sure to capture attention, they really deserve it!
DreamsUnlimited is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 16:08   #11
BHPian

Aah, a kindred soul ! Thanks @vrprabhu for this thread on random musings/sightings of our past

As with the plot of Coelho's Alchemist, one must look within to learn what's out there in the vast wide world! Getting lost in such seemingly unassuming/simple places indeed helps one to connect to the inner self. What better places than remnants of our rich heritage, to find solitude and solace from the weariness of corporate/concrete jungle!
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 17:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

My thoughts too, exactly. Spreading awareness to preserve our heritage will be a small step in this direction, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
...Historical things must be preserved, but why leave everything for the government ? If we just do not spoil them, they are as good as preserved. It is the public, tourists, visitors etc. who vandalize such places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsUnlimited View Post
...without general public's involvement, the govt bodies will find impossible to maintain. A lot of it boils down to our apathy and disregard for our own cultural heritage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
..one must look within to learn what's out there in the vast wide world! Getting lost in such seemingly unassuming/simple places indeed helps one to connect to the inner self. What better places than remnants of our rich heritage, to find solitude and solace from the weariness of corporate/concrete jungle!
Thank you, guys.

Was caught up in some work - official as well as car upkeep for a couple of weeks.

Resuming -

So, this being a Shiva temple, shouldn't there be a water source nearby. There is one - and quite a large one, too. (Note to share the location towards the end of the tale)

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2370.jpg

There is a problem, though. The approach to the (mighty) river is littered on either side with, ahem, human excreta.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2359.jpg

Going ahead, I catch sight of these -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2373.jpg

No, they are not (country) hens or ducks.

Don't believe me?

Probably, their beady eyed mother, who was keeping a watchful eye on them as well as me would prove their lineage?!

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2377.jpg

BTW, the pictures are clicked using an ordinary Canon camera. Sometimes, I feel I should take time to learn the intricacies of photography - especially when I look at river after uploading the picture here. My shot doesn't do justice to the river.

Because, if you look between the pillars of the pump well, you'll be able to make out another massive structure down the river. That is a barrage. More about that (hopefully) in future.

A better setting and finer composition would have given an idea how mighty is the river.

Last edited by vrprabhu : 14th October 2019 at 17:22. Reason: Improved clarity
vrprabhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 17:28   #13
BHPian

Instead of making the place popular, I would suggest hiding it from public for the Flora and Fauna to flourish. For Public, there are hundreds of other places.
Old 15th October 2019, 12:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hiding it would be impossible, Amrik What I can do is not reveal the exact location / co-ordinates. But, a little patience and technology aids helps in locating even the remotest of the spots...

Here are the pictures of the barrage, which is more than a kilometer long. And, about half-a-decade young (which, I guess this is a contradiction from the title of the post) -

The left side i.e. upstream
My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2396.jpg

The right side i.e. downstream
My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2402.jpg

A shot from the other bank.
My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2430.jpg

Actually, I was in search of a wall reported to be about two millennia old, as well as a century old tree, but wasn't able to find them. The quest is on.

Since it was getting dark, had to be satisfied with this -
My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2414.jpg

And, these looked like a band of brothers!
My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2422.jpg
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 12:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Back to the past

Yet another temple of Lord Shiva.

Looks like it is undergoing renovation and was not open during my visit.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2144.jpg

The back of the temple - there have been a few occasions on which entry could be gained through this side, but not this time.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2193.jpg

A perfect setting for a temple, I guess.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2201.jpg

On my way back, I notice this structure. Unable to make out what it is. Usually I find someone to chat - they give some information of these places. Zilch, on this one.

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2206.jpg

These are some close up shots -

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2207.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2208.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2209.jpg

My random musings - Some remnants of our past-img_2211.jpg
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks