Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 21:21   #76
BHPian

Re: The grandest of all our road trips - Sherdil's journey from Kolkata to the Union Territory of La

Dear Soumyajit,
An epic of a travel piece. Thanks for sharing it and, hats off to you, your wife and Sherdil.

While reading and post that also, I have been trying in vain to visualize some of the tricky moments that you have so vividly described like where you had to place stones in the river bed to create a path. The poise that you portrayed during those moments just blows my mind, much to learn and experience.

Your journey also helped me go back to some of my road trips abroad during the pre GPS days, where we used to spend weeks planning a trip and taking all the print outs of the route with marking the important points. Those were our maps, and the navigator-driver journey interaction was to experience. In my mind, the whole experience of putting those together and that a physical person calling out the turn to take and how long to proceed on the road before the turn cannot be experienced with the technology. The human touch.

Best wishes for more memories and adventures….

PS. By the way, I think I have seen your Sherdil up close
abhaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 18:47   #77
BHPian

Re: The grandest of all our road trips - Sherdil's journey from Kolkata to the Union Territory of La

That's an incredible journey and putting everything up beautifully to jot down all the experiences you had, made it a beautiful memory as a lifelong asset. And that little Huyandai Eon proved a reliable friend of yours. It needs courage and confidence to rely on such a small car and take it to the one of world's most extreme terrains and thankfully it never failed you. I appreciate both of you again for taking effort to write such a well detailed blog and sharing it with us. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
topse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 19:55   #78
Senior - BHPian

What a wonderful TL that too on an EON. I too own an EON 1.0L car. I have many fears about Ladakh trip.

Please help me in this regards. I may plan a trip in couple of years, though I want to retain the EON for atleast another 3-4 years, I am also thinking should I go for used car like Nexon or get a zoom car for Ladakh trip. Your suggestions are highly valued.

1) Is the ground clearance sufficient, did you scrape the under body in this trip.
2) What are the sections we should be careful at.
3) How did the car pull any water crossings, I see water crossings in youtube and gets more fearful.
4) If I go by Srinagar route should I not be worried about the car and ground clearance as this seems better route.

Let me know any other things to be careful about.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 9th July 2020 at 19:59.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 01:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaumik View Post
An epic of a travel piece. Thanks for sharing it and, hats off to you, your wife and Sherdil...
..The poise that you portrayed during those moments just blows my mind, much to learn and experience.
Many thanks and I am glad that you liked the travelogue.

Quote:
In my mind, the whole experience of putting those together and that a physical person calling out the turn to take and how long to proceed on the road before the turn cannot be experienced with the technology. The human touch.
True. Small things like this brings out the vivid color of road trips and the associated memories!

Quote:
PS. By the way, I think I have seen your Sherdil up close
I see that you are based in Kolkata. Where exactly did you spot my steed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topse View Post
That's an incredible journey.... ...And that little Hyundai Eon proved a reliable friend of yours. It needs courage and confidence to rely on such a small car and take it to the one of world's most extreme terrains and thankfully it never failed you.
.....Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
What a wonderful TL that too on an EON. I too own an EON 1.0L car. I have many fears about Ladakh trip.
Thanks. Feels good to talk to the owner of the same model. How is the 1.0L engine performing? Mine is a 814cc version. Do post a few pictures of your car.

Quote:
I may plan a trip in couple of years, I am also thinking should I go for used car like Nexon or get a zoom car for Ladakh trip. Your suggestions are highly valued.
EON should be good, but additional Ground Clearance would surely bring some amount extra confidence in those terrains. Whether EON or a used Nexon, depends on many factors such as whether you have driven in Himalayan terrain earlier or is it going to be your first trip, in which month of the year you are targeting to undertake Ladakh Road Trip etc. If this is your first trip, take utmost precaution. Ladakh or Spiti road trip is tough, and no matter if someone says the road has improved and many Nano, Alto or EON has completed the circuit, situation demands that you are best prepared for the worst. I would try and avoid rental cars, as you are not sure of the service history of the particular vehicle you are allotted and you would definitely not wish a breakdown due to a faulty mechanical component in a harsh and desolate location.

Quote:
1) Is the ground clearance sufficient, did you scrape the under body in this trip.
2) What are the sections we should be careful at.
3) How did the car pull any water crossings, I see water crossings in Youtube and gets more fearful.
4) If I go by Srinagar route should I not be worried about the car and ground clearance as this seems better route.
1. In harsh terrains like Ladakh or Spiti, there are places where we don't have much choice except scraping through. But the choice we have is the zone of the car we decide to scrape, and that's the difference between an informed choice and a hasty decision. Under unavoidable circumstances, I try to scrape the side skirting rather than the middle where the vital components of the car lie.

2. In Ladakh, I faced rough roads at :
a) Manali - Leh Highway
b) Agham - Shyok route
c) 7kms on either side of ChangLa

Remember, its not only rough roads, but also the altitude that causes health issues like AMS, specially on the Manali-Leh Highway where a significant portion of the journey is spent above 14K feet continuously, occassionally rising to 16K-18K feet in the high passes.

3. Water crossings are tricky in a lower ground clearance car. Take your time to observe other cars crossing over and judge your move. Its advisable to carry a stick to judge the depth of water and feel the presence of large boulders underneath, as the water is icy cold and the current of the water hides unwanted materials that could damage the car significantly. Take your time, make your path, and then slowly move through. Accelerating hard only displaces the already loose rocks underneath, and you end up getting stuck deeper. So, a first gear crawl along a predetermined path always helped me.
Remember - Reaching late to your destination is way better than getting stuck at a desolate pass where temperatures drop to -7 to -15 during the night.

4. Srinagar - Leh route is way better both in terms of road quality as well as lesser altitude. But the beauty of Manali - Leh Highway is unmatched and the former is not even 50% close.
gearhead_mait is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 16:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EON should be good, but additional Ground Clearance would surely bring some amount extra confidence in those terrains.
Thanks for your input and suggestions.

Eon was a very good car to me, in my 5 years of ownership I do not have a single problem to report. I also drive sedately and do not like to push the vehicle hard. I actually want to keep the vehicle for another 5 years if not for these kind of trips and the safety aspect.

I do not have any experience on the himalayan terrain but have confidence I can drive. My plan is atleast 2 years away with all the craziness settling a bit(Covid & Chinese hostility in Ladakh) may try in September month(read that there will be less water crossings in Sept).

We also wanted to start with few mild level treks in karnataka and if we think we have physical fitness then only will consider road trip to Leh.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 12:33   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post

I see that you are based in Kolkata. Where exactly did you spot my steed?
Yes I'm too from Kolkata and we are related thru your coffee mug. Will love to meet once things settle out with this pandemic.
abhaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 21:37   #82
BHPian

One of the best travelogues here on Ladakh and Nice compilation of fantastic pics !!

And literally enjoyed every bit of the Excellent Narration.

Thanks for letting us have a Virtual journey of the much desired destination.

*┈┉┅━❀꧁ω❍ω꧂❀━┅┉┈*
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 00:41   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
One of the best travelogues here on Ladakh..
..Thanks for letting us have a Virtual journey of the much desired destination.

*┈┉┅━❀꧁ω❍ω꧂❀━┅┉┈*
Thanks for your kind words and I am glad that you liked the travelogue.

All - Here's an uncut video that I compiled on the stretch between lukung and Tangtse:

gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:13   #84

Hi gearhead_mait,

I was looking for posts on clutch problems of i20 when I stumbled onto your Ladakh Travelogue. I was immediately hooked and read all the posts, starting from Kolkata to Ladakh to Amritsar to the two coffee mugs on the roof of your Sherdil. Fantastic trip and a splendid travelogue. Kudos to you gearhead_mait and your spouse.

I am myself an enthusiastic traveler and Birder. I have been driving since age 7 yrs (just between you and me ). Even at this 65 yrs age, I often drive out of town with either my i20 or Eon. Indeed, my driving license is 47 yrs old. I still do Kolkata-Shantiniketan-Kolkata regularly (I leave behind my driver). But I would never have had the guts to venture so far and into such forbidding territory like Ladakh in an Hyundai Eon with 800 cc engine and 13"/14" wheels. Hats off to you mate!

I have a few questions if you will please allow.

In the rarefied atmosphere of Ladakh, while steeply climbing upto the passes, how well did the engine pull? Could you drive in 2nd/3r gear or you had to downshift to 1st often?

On the proper expressways, what kind of speed do you usually maintain? Any noticeable fall in power or clutch heating or engine temp rise after say 4-5 hrs of continuous driving?

What engine oil and gear oil do you use?

You do a lot of night driving. Do you use different bulbs in your headlights or the stock Eon bulbs?

At one point you had mentioned that you were carrying a spare headlight. Why?

Apologies for so many questions but would be delighted if you could find the time to answer all that.

Have a good day and stay safe.
ArupGhosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 20:12   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words and I am glad that you liked the travelogue.
Reminds me of my trip about a couple of years back. The roads were pretty bad that time and it took me about 8 hours on bike to reach Pangong tso from leh. However, BRO were doing a remarkable job and even fixed a couple of km stretch within a day and it was about 5 hours back.

I did compile a video as well. These times have increased the longing for such a trip again.

Keep sharing such content.

AZ911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 20:09   #86

Re: Conclusion

Hello,

Hats Off! Incredible journey. Like you my first love is driving long distances exploring our country. Your post has charged me up to make it to Ladakh this year. What better times than NOW!

I need one help. Can you share any contact details for NORBULING Guest House at Jispa. I could not trace them on any travel site.

Hope to meet you some day!

Best wishes to the three of you.

Regards,

AD_CCU

[quote=gearhead_mait;4729218]I don't quite know what to write in the concluding post. The road trip to Ladakh was our dream, just like many others around the country, even the world. Seven and half years back, when I took the delivery of Sherdil I never thought I would be able to undertake such harsh terrains in the Himalayas, that too in a small hatchback with 814cc 3 cylinder petrol engine and 175 mm ground clearance. Monosree, my wife, supported thoroughly during each journey and helped me with planning and execution of each of our adventurous road trips. Without her support, it would have been impossible to even dream about the places we have actually been too.

But this post is not just about us, its about the journey and how it all started. Many people ask how do we execute such long trips, thousands of kilometers, day after day. For us, the inspiration came from this forum itself, when I was not even a member. But executing an ultra long road trip, say ~6000 km round trip to the Himalayas, is not easy. Its not like someday you wake up, and decide on Ladakh or Spiti and make your move. Road trips are beautiful, probably one of the best modes to explore our Country. But it has its own challenges. There is a lot of difference between driving a day to reach your destination and driving multiple days but still finding yourself far from it. The challenges associated with it quadruples with each day spent behind the steering wheel. The body gets tired, stress factor sets in and there are multiple other issues that can possibly throw tantrum into a set plan. So, the best way that worked for us is to take a small step at a time. Smaller road trips are they key, increasing the distance slowly with each road trip. That way, not only one becomes familiar with the Indian highway, but also with how one's body is adapted with the increase in the time spent behind the steering wheel.

Another key factor, probably the critical of them all, is the car. This is the one you have to rely on during the entire trip. So, the question is - How much capable is it? I will not get into the debate of features like 4WD, ground clearances, electronic aided assists etc. etc. Those are important obviously, one cannot deny that. But they are best referred as features that adds a layer to the capability index of the car. Capability of any car is closely intertwined with the reliability associated with it. What's the use of a 4WD system, if any the other vital components fails midway. In trips like Ladakh or Spiti, that midway could be a desolate mountain pass where the temperature drops below freezing at night with no support whatsoever for hundreds of kilometers. We all would like to avoid such situations, wouldn't we?

So, the statement about one's car should not be -

"My car should be capable enough to take me to, say, point A".

But the correct statement about the car should be :

"My car should be capable enough to bring me back safely from anywhere I go. Be it point A, or Point B or Point C"

And to decide on the point A, B or C, that is appropriate for the car and the driver, one needs to build a strong bonding with the car. From here on comes the reliability factor that grows with time and adds a feather to the capability index that no feature could ever match. And that way the chances of any misadventure would be significantly less.

For me, I clearly know the point till which I can safely travel with Sherdil and I have the confidence that it will bring me back home from there, safely.

Do you?

Till we meet again, adieu from Ladakh!
Attachment 1956101
ad_ccu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 21:37   #87
BHPian

Apologies to all of you for the delay in responding to your posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArupGhosh View Post
Hi gearhead_mait,
.... when I stumbled onto your Ladakh Travelogue. I was immediately hooked and read all the posts, starting from Kolkata to Ladakh to Amritsar to the two coffee mugs on the roof of your Sherdil. Fantastic trip and a splendid travelogue. Kudos to you gearhead_mait and your spouse.

..But I would never have had the guts to venture so far and into such forbidding territory like Ladakh in an Hyundai Eon with 800 cc engine and 13"/14" wheels. Hats off to you mate!
Many thanks and I am truly obliged with the comments coming from an experienced driver like you!

Answers inline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArupGhosh View Post
I have a few questions if you will please allow.

In the rarefied atmosphere of Ladakh, while steeply climbing upto the passes, how well did the engine pull? Could you drive in 2nd/3r gear or you had to downshift to 1st often?

Ans : The key is to never stress the engine. I always prefer to keep the engine at the higher rpm on a steep incline. So, depending on the steepness the appropriate gear needs to be chosen. If it needs to be 1st, so be it. But its better to change before taking on the steep incline and don't change gears in the middle.

On the proper expressways, what kind of speed do you usually maintain? Any noticeable fall in power or clutch heating or engine temp rise after say 4-5 hrs of continuous driving?

Ans : 90-100 kmph, depending on the quality of the surface and potential hazards on the road. I feel comfortable maintaining steady speed instead of accelerating and braking frequently. I have never faced any issue with engine overheating or fall in power. No issues with clutch either. Did my Ladakh trip on stock clutch at ~100K kms. Even till now, the stock clutch is running fine. Did Darjeeling trip in December 2020 and the stock clutch did perform well on the steep incline on the road from Rock Gardens.

What engine oil and gear oil do you use?

Ans: From the start, I got my car serviced from Hyundai authorized service centers. The oil change is done at regular interval of ~8K kms. Its mineral oil, not synthetic. But I am not aware of the brand.

You do a lot of night driving. Do you use different bulbs in your headlights or the stock Eon bulbs?

Ans: No whole night driving for me. On ultra long drives, I start around 5 am in the morning and call it a day around 9 pm -11 pm.

At one point you had mentioned that you were carrying a spare headlight. Why?

Ans : Yes, this came from an earlier experience. On a road trip, you have prepare yourself for the worst. During my road trip to Kashmir in 2016, on the return leg I had to drive continuously for 22 hours (1280 kms) from Sirsaganj (near Agra) to my house in Kolkata. Around Dhanbad, the left side headlight went dead and I had to drive for 5 hours at night in pitch black surroundings, with only a single headlight which was working. That's the reason for carrying the spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post

I did compile a video as well. These times have increased the longing for such a trip again.

Keep sharing such content.
Thanks AZ911! Nice video indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_ccu View Post

I need one help. Can you share any contact details for NORBULING Guest House at Jispa. I could not trace them on any travel site.
Thank you ad_ccu! Surely we would meet one day, when the pandemic is over. Sorry, I don't have any contact number of the Norbuling Guest House. Its located just on the left side of the road on entering Jispa. Hard to miss!
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 08:22   #88

Many many thanks gearhead_mait for the comments.

Pity they discontinued the Eon for safety concerns. Would have been so good if they addressed some of the safety issues and kept selling the car. I love my Eon.
ArupGhosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 12:53   #89
BHPian

Re: Day 1 and Day 2 : Kolkata - Allahabad - Mohali

Quote:
Planning for the trip
The preparation for the trip started in December 2018. Reading numerous travelogues, virtually going through the experiences of fellow travelers and jotting down important points derived out of it - that's how the initial days of planning went by. The most difficult part of the planning was preparing the itinerary and finalizing on the month of travel. Since the months of September-October had been quite generous to us in terms of weather in our Spiti drive in 2017 (Link here (Kinnaur & Spiti: Diametrically-opposite marvels of the Himalayas with a strong bonding)), we decided to stick to September for our travel to Ladakh as well. But instead to pushing the itinerary into October our trip, which could be a risk with so many high passes to cross, we finalized on the date from end of August - mid of September'19.
Thank you for sharing the travelouge, beautiful pics & congratulations for doing it in a Hyundai eon of all cars! From the photos I see your car was packed to the gills, did you encounter any acceleration issues while going up the mountains?

Ab "sherdil" se maange more!

Has Hyundai Motors India contacted you yet, you are their finest brand ambassador.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks