Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2021, 11:18   #31
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrödingersCar View Post
One of them is either an Indian Nightjar or a Large Tailed Nightjar.
Quote:
Great picture there, the other bird is the Savannah Nightjar, Panna has immense diversity in terms of Wildlife and in the same vicinity you can spot these 2 Night Jar species.
Speaking of nightjars. We were quite disappointed that we couldn't sight one during our evening safari, even though we could hear it in the vicinity. And two days after we got back home, this is what we see out of our bedroom window:

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-nightjar.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Wow, are you sure you saw these, for there are absolutely no reports of them in the area you mention, but then again they travel great distances - believe me that is one rare sight, these fellas are very very skittish and hardly seen anywhere. The last available footage of decent quality was in 2018.
I cannot be sure since we didn't stop to check. Could only catch a glimpse of them caught in the headlights. They were in a pack (2/3). The black on the tail/back was distinct.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 12:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, are you sure you saw these, for there are absolutely no reports of them in the area you mention, but then again they travel great distances - believe me that is one rare sight, these fellas are very very skittish and hardly seen anywhere. The last available footage of decent quality was in 2018.
When I visited Tadoba in 2014, spotted lots of Dhole packs. It just might be possible that they migrate through corridors between forests, like tigers have been well documented doing the same.

Quote:
Great picture there, the other bird is the Savannah Nightjar, Panna has immense diversity in terms of Wildlife and in the same vicinity you can spot these 2 Night Jar species.
Thanks.
Never seen the Savannah Nightjar, so this was a new one for me!

Quote:
Roadtrip from Kolkata will be fun, do let me know if and whenever you make any plans. We drive non-stop from Pune usually, and this time it was a non-stop drive from Hyderabad.
Since I will be driving down with my parents or in laws or both, I would have to take a break. But will surely PM when the plan takes a more concrete shape (everything is uncertain thanks to covid and its waves )

Quote:
Since we are in topic of identifying birds, here another video which has an interesting bird call, take a look!

https://Youtu.be/xLAMZXOw6Cw
The call at 0.09 seconds and again at 0.21 seconds is an Indian Cuckoo, but can't tell the other chirps throughout.
Likely some warbler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Speaking of nightjars. We were quite disappointed that we couldn't sight one during our evening safari, even though we could hear it in the vicinity. And two days after we got back home, this is what we see out of our bedroom window:

Nice. Nature has a way of throwing up surprises when we least expect them!

Last edited by SchrödingersCar : 25th June 2021 at 12:38. Reason: Merging quoted reply
SchrödingersCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 21:19   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Speaking of nightjars. And two days after we got back home, this is what we see out of our bedroom window:
Wow, now that's as lucky as one can possibly get with a Night Jar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrödingersCar View Post
When I visited Tadoba in 2014, spotted lots of Dhole packs. It just might be possible that they migrate through corridors between forests, like tigers have been well documented doing the same.

But will surely PM when the plan takes a more concrete shape (everything is uncertain thanks to covid and its waves )

The call at 0.09 seconds and again at 0.21 seconds is an Indian Cuckoo,
Likely some warbler?
No, Panna has its own Dhole pack but since the park is enormous (over 500 sq km) they have a fairly large territory to themselves.

Do PM, will be happy to help!

Never mind the others, the call I wanted you to hear was the Common Hawk Cuckoo, which can be heard pretty clearly in the background - sounds like 'Kaaphal Paako' or 'Kosom Paako' , it is known by these names Kaaphal in Uttarakhand and Kosom in Madhya Pradesh. They are vocal with these particular notes only in this season.
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 23:59   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Never mind the others, the call I wanted you to hear was the Common Hawk Cuckoo, which can be heard pretty clearly in the background - sounds like 'Kaaphal Paako' or 'Kosom Paako' , it is known by these names Kaaphal in Uttarakhand and Kosom in Madhya Pradesh. They are vocal with these particular notes only in this season.
Yep, very interesting Bird. Sighted and snapped some in Corbett earlier this year (March)!

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-162f37cbcfb54037af4c02412b6711dc.jpeg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-3a9e4bdb023a4ac7848d53506d5e56a6.jpeg
SchrödingersCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:32   #35
BHPian

Re: Fireflies

Fireflies or Jugnu (Hindi) or Kaajwe (Marathi) are soft bodied insects from the Beetle family, which emit bio-luminescence and get active from twilight hours.

Apart from Sparrows and other small birds, these once common insects have rapidly declined from the city scapes and are now only to be found in densely wooded or remote areas.

Some of the chief causes of their decline has been the uncurtailed use of Insectides and Pesticides and it has also been studied that light pollution (too much light) also has contributed to their declining populations.

At the camp we have ensured to keep a very dull and low light environment so as to coexist in this delicate ecosystem, this has ensured and made these glowbugs an almost permanent resident.

Now I will leave you all to enjoy this short video on Fireflies as they mingle around with us.

Old 6th September 2021, 17:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would agree with SchrodingersCar - thats the call of the Indian Cuckoo. The call of Common Hawk Cuckoo is different - a frenzied pee-peeho, rising to a crescendo.

Awaiting more adventures from you. Glued to this thread

Last edited by mallumowgli : 6th September 2021 at 17:57.
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 15:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Will be back

I had loved staying at your camp in Nov 2020, but I was a little tired (long roadtrip with early morning safaris: Gurgaon - Pench - Bangalore - Tadoba - Bandhavgarh - Panna), so spent the time just relaxing. Will be back! I remember the evening drives during which I saw quite a few birds and beasts, including bears, wild cats, partridges, hares, nilgai et al.

Do keep posting about your experiences. Will ping you sometime soon :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th September 2021 at 15:52.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:37   #38
BHPian

Re: Will be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I had loved staying at your camp in Nov 2020, but I was a little tired (long roadtrip with early morning safaris: Gurgaon - Pench - Bangalore - Tadoba - Bandhavgarh - Panna), so spent the time just relaxing. Will be back! I remember the evening drives during which I saw quite a few birds and beasts, including bears, wild cats, partridges, hares, nilgai et al.

Do keep posting about your experiences. Will ping you sometime soon :-)
Hey Nilanjan! So great to hear from you, yes I remember you were on a marathon drive and also all of your experiences at the camp

Sure, ping me, will be great to have you back at the camp.

Cheers,
Old 1st October 2021, 18:40   #39
BHPian

Lovely thread Trojan! You do have a flair for writing and ofcourse photography! Please make more videos of the Gurkha too.

Its as rare and fabled a beast as that Leopard whose photos you posted!
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:23   #40
BHPian

Dear Trojan - That you for the wonderful thread. Needed your help.

Am planning a road trip to Khajuraho later this week and would be driving from Mumbai. Needed some insights/inputs on things to do during the week long road trip?

Do let me know your thoughts on below :-

Day 1 (Drive): Mumbai - Orchaa (1100Kms) via AH47 | How is the road condition & is this doable in a day. || Will be splitting this drive across two days as per Tgo's inputs.

Day 2: Orchaa Fort & rest

Day 3 (Drive): Orchaa - Khajuraho (190Kms) Via SH 39 | Rest it out post reaching & see the light & sound shoe in eve

Day 4 (Small Drive): Khajuraho - Panna (60 kms) Via SH 39 | Khajuraho Temples during 1st half & post lunch leave for Panna

Day 5 Panna: Do two safaris (morning & Eve) | Dear @Trojan - Will need your help here apart from any inputs from your side, shall PM you.

Day 6 (Drive): Panna - Bhimkund (140Kms) Via SH 39 & SH 34 | Leave post noon & head to Ujjain, Bhopal or Indore for Night halt, before coming back to Mumbai on Day 7 -- What is the suggestion?

Day 7 (Dive) - Back to Mumbai from where we halt previous night. What would you recommend?

Few more questions:-
1. Any covid restrictions (recent updates) that we need to be aware of?
2. How is the road condition? Will be driving an XUV W6 (not AWD).
3. Any changes to the itinerary? Would you recommend skipping or adding any alternate destination?

Looking forward to your valuable & swift inputs. Planning to leave on 30th Dec early morning by 5am.
mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 23:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Dear Trojan - That you for the wonderful thread. Needed your help.

Am planning a road trip to Khajuraho later this week and would be driving from Mumbai. Needed some insights/inputs on things to do during the week long road trip?

Do let me know your thoughts on below :-
I am so sorry Gaurav, I guess am a little late to reply to your message, last 2 weeks of December are always super crazy with hardly any time on hand for anything else.

Day 1 (Drive): Mumbai - Orchaa (1100Kms) via AH47 | How is the road condition & is this doable in a day. || Will be splitting this drive across two days as per Tgo's inputs.

Easily doable in a day, 4 lane highways all the way from Mumbai to Orchha

Day 2: Orchaa Fort & rest
Ok

Day 3 (Drive): Orchaa - Khajuraho (190Kms) Via SH 39 | Rest it out post reaching & see the light & sound shoe in eve

Ok

Day 4 (Small Drive): Khajuraho - Panna (60 kms) Via SH 39 | Khajuraho Temples during 1st half & post lunch leave for Panna

Ok

Day 5 Panna: Do two safaris (morning & Eve) | Dear @Trojan - Will need your help here apart from any inputs from your side, shall PM you.

Book your Safaris as early as possible, at the following link
https://forest.mponline.gov.in/

Day 6 (Drive): Panna - Bhimkund (140Kms) Via SH 39 & SH 34 | Leave post noon & head to Ujjain, Bhopal or Indore for Night halt, before coming back to Mumbai on Day 7 -- What is the suggestion?

Need to split this,
Bhimkund will take 2-3hrs to reach as its through narrow single lane country roads, and Indore takes around 9-10hrs from Panna minimum.

Either return back to Panna and start the next day or change destination to Sagar/Jhansi for a halt

Day 7 (Drive) - Back to Mumbai from where we halt previous night. What would you recommend?

Indore - Mumbai : easily doable
Jhansi - Indore - Mumbai : I would suggest to break the journey at Nasik, will need a committed push to reach all the way.

Few more questions:-
1. Any covid restrictions (recent updates) that we need to be aware of?
2. How is the road condition? Will be driving an XUV W6 (not AWD).
3. Any changes to the itinerary? Would you recommend skipping or adding any alternate destination?

Ans. No restrictions except for wearing masks, excellent road conditions all over MP (you will enjoy driving the XUV) recommendations shared ... hope it helps.

Do give me a call in case you need any assistance while in Panna.

Cheers,
Old 2nd January 2022, 06:18   #42
BHPian

I am so mad at myself. I was in Panna (Khajuraho) on 25th, but missed contacting you.

We had two drives in Panna a d saw T151 and her cubs. Next time when I am in Panna will surely get in touch.

Some pics. I will put up my TL when I reach back home.

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-20211227093648_img_3471.jpg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-20211227093628_img_3449.jpg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-20211227090919_img_3393.jpg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-20211227090718_img_3308.jpg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-20211227090625_img_3243.jpg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-20211226163036_img_3105.jpg
sach.sri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 08:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
I am so mad at myself. I was in Panna (Khajuraho) on 25th, but missed contacting you.

We had two drives in Panna a d saw T151 and her cubs. Next time when I am in Panna will surely get in touch.

Some pics. I will put up my TL when I reach back home.
Ohh! No worries mate, there is always a next time and a place like Panna, you can't get enough of it!

151 is a darling and you got some splendid shots of the cubs too! Looking forward to the TL and do let me know whenever you plan next.

Here's one my favorite pics of the 151 cubs

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220105-8.00.39-am.jpeg
Trojan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 11:12   #44
BHPian

Life at the camp is always full of adventure and excitement. The last 2 months have been extraordinary in terms of live sightings right from the dining area.

Here are a few super rare videos of 2 of the most elusive animals to be found in our forests.

1. Leopard
2. Sloth Bear

Leopard at our main gate

A time lapse of over 25mins of the Sloth Bear

Now what if we add both of these masters in one video

Have a look.

We were happy with the footage we got of the Leopard, never in my wildest imagination was I expecting this!

Cheers & Enjoy!
Trojan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 07:19   #45
BHPian

Re: CCTV Upgrade!

With the camp being a hotspot for wild animals, the CCTV cameras were giving us great insights into their lives.
But I had one gripe, which was the resolution and the lack of clarity and details in the footage. Almost all use cases that we saw, had at least some light source which helped the cameras to provide better footage. But our requirement needed it to be as effective in pitch dark conditions.

In November, I had uploaded the video of 3 Leopards together at our water hole. But the resulting footage though extremely unique and rare left me disappointed.
A comment from a contact on my Instagram page, mentioned that I needed PTZ cameras for my requirement. Though I did not reply, that word lingered on in my mind, every now and then looking out for and trying to find more details on the same. I got in touch with my supplier and initially he did not take me seriously and upon a few calls and follow ups later, shared the details.
The reason was clear, 1 single camera costs much more than a complete set of 8 analog cameras or 4 IP cameras together with DVR, hard disk and installation.
But we found this investment absolutely worth it, what do you think?

I zeroed in on the HikVision 25x Optical zoom vs the 15x as the price difference wasn't much and any additional zoom always help.

In the course of installing these I understood that there are other variants as well, which can auto-track anyone/anything (customizable) entering within a prescribed zone or region. You can also configure it to track for
- region entry/exit
- region intrusion
- loads of presets

Time for pictures

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220228-7.10.05-am.jpeg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220228-7.10.06-am.jpeg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220228-7.10.07-am.jpeg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220228-7.10.07-am-1.jpeg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220228-7.10.08-am.jpeg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220228-7.10.08-am-1.jpeg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220228-7.10.09-am.jpeg

Our Wild Classroom - Panna Tiger Reserve-whatsapp-image-20220228-7.10.09-am-1.jpeg

And here is a video comparison of the same place with the same species and in similar conditions, the difference is unreal. With a light source it can capture in color but we don't need it.

Here is the same video in full 4K

One of the rarest visitors to Panna Tiger Reserve, a total of only 2 sightings have been reported so far

Enjoy, Cheers!

Last edited by Trojan : 28th February 2022 at 07:23. Reason: Edited sub-title

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks