Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

The Trip
Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-trip.jpg

GPS Trail
Khajuraho.kml

Thanks for reading.

THE END

After Khajuraho, we went to Utharakhand, scaled Mana Pass, then Nelang Valley, and then on return we went the whole of Spiti before reaching Bangalore back. That story is for another time, there are a lot of Spiti and UK travelogues

Most quotes about temples are from Wikipedia and is duly acknowledged

Last edited by laluks : 3rd January 2020 at 13:36.
laluks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Ever wondered how Khajuraho got its name?
Quote:
The name Khajuraho, or Kharjuravāhaka, is derived from ancient Sanskrit (kharjura, means date palm, and vāhaka, means "one who carries" or bearer). Local legends state that the temples had two golden date-palm trees as their gate (missing when they were rediscovered).
All I could find was one lone Khajur tree near to the ruins excavation site
Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-img_20190831_122050editedit.jpg

May be then this is true!
Quote:
Kharjuravāhaka also means scorpion bearer, which is another symbolic name for deity Shiva (who wears snakes and scorpion garlands in his fierce form).
laluks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:33   #33
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out of Assembly Line. Thank you for sharing!
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 15:38   #34
BHPian

Amazing, Amazing, with your signature details and thoroughness.

I liked the waterfalls, sanctuary and pictures of reservoirs. In most travels to Himalayas, we often rush across the country to get to the Massifs. But there is so much in between to explore such as the ones you have shown.

Thanks and I would be looking forward for the Mana-pass log. No matter how many Spiti travelogues come, the details Laluks post has would always be overwhelming.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 3rd January 2020 at 15:43.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 16:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Amazing, Amazing, with your signature details and thoroughness.

I liked the waterfalls, sanctuary and pictures of reservoirs. In most travels to Himalayas, we often rush across the country to get to the Massifs. But there is so much in between to explore such as the ones you have shown.

Thanks and I would be looking forward for the Mana-pass log. No matter how many Spiti travelogues come, the details Laluks post has would always be overwhelming.

Thanks Thermodynamics. If you would like to read, I'll pen it down. Would need some time. Mana Pass was one hell of an adventure, Spiti again was good.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 11:00   #36
BHPian

Re: Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

This is a fantabulous travelogue. What were your expenses for the entire trip?
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 13:46   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
This is a fantabulous travelogue. What were your expenses for the entire trip?

For the whole trip? All UK, Spiti etc? It was 26 days on road, 10125 Kms.

Most expenses were for Kungfu Panda (Sr.)'s drinking habits . Diesel and Tolls costed us INR 94582. If I had taken Kungfu Panda (Jr.) this would have been almost half, approx 50K. But then Mana Pass deserved a 4WD. Plus if you have more people this can be shared and brought down, but who plans a months drive these days and are free to join from the daily chores!

Hotel plus food costed us INR 35183, very very reasonable for 25 nights on road!! We normally do not indulge on food nor drinks that much, and it helps with our budgets and also with our timings on road, since there are no much breaks.

some entry fee and other stuffs - INR 4358

All in all approx 1.35 Lakhs.
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 15:27   #38
BHPian

Beautiful TL. Just went back in time when i made a road trip to Khajuraho from Gwalior in 2011. I'm sure many things have changed by now but the charm of that place remains intact. Couldn't stop myself from sharing some pictures from my trip.

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04584.jpg
Sunrise en route Khajuraho at Gwalior Jhansi Highway.

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04615.jpg
Glimps from the Light & Sound show.

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04601.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04669.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04643.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04704.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04726.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04731.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04787.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04832.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04885.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04907.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04957.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc04992.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-dsc05012.jpg
Orchha Palace.
Sujoy76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 17:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures to tease till I write about Spiti and Mana Pass

En route Chandratal, Spiti, HP
Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-img_20190919_113358editeditedit.jpg

DeoTal, Mana (Approx 18000 feet, Origin of Mythical Saraswathi River), UK
Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-img20190919wa0058editedit.jpg

Kungfu Panda (Sr.) Chronicles : Khajuraho, (Possible) Weekend Getaway from Bangalore-img20190919wa0060editedit.jpg
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 20:17   #40
BHPian

Thanks for the travelogue.

Reaching Nagpur in 10 hours is impressive given trains take more time due to nature of rail route. I guess this sector must be overrun with private buses going to Nagpur.

Also reminds me of my visit to Khajuraho way back in 2015. I had traveled by train to Satna from Hyderabad and took the under construction road to Khajuraho. Since you visited in monsoon, it is bound to remain very humid in the plains.

I had employed a guide and he was with me for 2.5 hour in the temple complex. The guide was worth employing because I understood how the temples are built. Next day, I rented a bicycle and roamed the Eastern group and Jain temples. Returned the next day back to Satna on that same road. I hope the Satna road is in good shape now.

One thing I regret was not going to Jhansi and Orchha during that trip. I dutifully did that trip next year.
rst89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 20:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Some pictures to tease till I write about Spiti and Mana Pass
Reading a travelogue about north after long time. Will closely follow this write up.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 20:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Thanks for the travelogue.

Reaching Nagpur in 10 hours is impressive given trains take more time due to nature of rail route. I guess this sector must be overrun with private buses going to Nagpur.

Also reminds me of my visit to Khajuraho way back in 2015. I had traveled by train to Satna from Hyderabad and took the under construction road to Khajuraho. Since you visited in monsoon, it is bound to remain very humid in the plains.

I had employed a guide and he was with me for 2.5 hour in the temple complex. The guide was worth employing because I understood how the temples are built. Next day, I rented a bicycle and roamed the Eastern group and Jain temples. Returned the next day back to Satna on that same road. I hope the Satna road is in good shape now.

One thing I regret was not going to Jhansi and Orchha during that trip. I dutifully did that trip next year.
Bangalore Hyderabad road is in good shape and you can do that with good averages. And then the Hyderabad outer ring road and the road takes you to Nagpur exit without a sweat. There will be some traffic at this exit for about 10Kms, and then its almost empty good roads all the way till Nagpur. This works well if you start at 2AM. If you start by 10 or 12Pm, you get the bus traffic to Hyderabad,and if you start late like 5, then you get truck traffic.

It was raining all around while we drove in. But it never rained in Khajuraho making it very hot and humid.

Satna to Khajuraho is still messy. Many places there are still construction going on, and you get up and down the roads many times. Its messy, may be a couple of years time more.

This was my second visit, last time we had the support of a guide book and I had spent considerable amount of time with the western group of temples. This time the visit was to show my BIL the place and to break otherwise a long run to the hills.

Yeah, Orchha is also done in another trip. The first central India drive of 2018 which I mentioned in the opening post. May be one day I should write about it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Reading a travelogue about north after long time. Will closely follow this write up.
Thanks _chikku. Gives me enough push to write it now
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 12:12   #43
BHPian

I never miss any post when I see the name Laluks. Unknowingly you have helped a lot in my car buying decision sir. I almost finalized on Scross and then I came across your Kungfu Panda Jr ownership review. And I ended up buying Heisenberg (Skoda Rapid).

It's always a delight to read your reviews and travelogues. I'm super excited and eagerly waiting for the Spiti part

Last edited by sachin_cs : 5th January 2020 at 12:13. Reason: Grammar
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 16:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
I never miss any post when I see the name Laluks. Unknowingly you have helped a lot in my car buying decision sir. I almost finalized on Scross and then I came across your Kungfu Panda Jr ownership review. And I ended up buying Heisenberg (Skoda Rapid).

It's always a delight to read your reviews and travelogues. I'm super excited and eagerly waiting for the Spiti part
Thanks Sachin. Wishing you may miles with Heisenberg.

Okay, will definitely write the Spiti log, give me some time .
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 19:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

I am just told that Club Mahindra has added a resort in Khajuraho. Bundela Resort at Khajuraho. May not be the best bet for your time share dyas, but give it a shot. If you want to add few days of activity, add Panna Tiger Reserve to the itinerary and enjoy. So all the members now has an excuse to drive or fly in. Khajuraho has an airport very nearby for comfort, if you don't want to risk the bone jarring drive/ride!!
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks