Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2019, 13:56   #31
BHPian

Re: A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu

Cant find words to really describe the feeling after seeing your travelogue. Driving 1500 kms on a weekend and thereafter climbing to 11K feet above sea level requires a lot of passion. The video of the ascent gave me goosebumps, the road was so narrow and steep. Photographs were jaw dropping especially the Mighty Kanchenjunga and the starry sky on the backdrop of the snowy peaks. Hats off to you guys. You deserve 5 stars.
Safedriver76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 15:53   #32
BHPian

Samba , I am sure this would be the one route and trip where the "Injectors" wouldn't even dream of giving up, they had a tryst with the sleeping Buddha after all :

The pictures are simply out of the world and your video makes the ascent seem like child's play. The dimension you have added through the night landscapes is extra ordinary

Do the Landy's still ply till Phalut ?
DriveTrain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 13:50   #33
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue with great pictures (as usual).

IMHO, it is nothing but goondaism on part of the Land Rover taxiwallahs to extort Rs 500 per private car plus force you to hire one of their taxis too. I wish you had protested and taken up the matter with local authorities, especially since there were quite a few of you and all were driving private cars, not rented cars.
debuda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 22:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

I wish we hadn't discussed the trip so much on other forums, before I chanced upon this thread. Nothing more to say, but the fact that it was an excellent trip with all the heavyweights of Kolkata teambhp chipping together. Wish I was in town this time, would have hopped on to one of the vehicles.
predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 00:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Made a short 20 mins video from the Sandakphu trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G.The Rambler View Post
Logged in after a long long time and what a treat to my eyes. Mind boggling pictures and excellent driving skills. Kudos to Samba and the whole team. Missing my Kolkata days :-)
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Driving 1500 kms over the weekend from sea level to 11000+ feet.I read about the Mahindra you encountered at the very top but where is the ledge on the way to let an oncoming vehicle pass?!

Another year and I think you would have recovered your investment on the Duster!
Thanks a lot.

Actually one should not scale 11,000+ feet from sea level, it's always safer to acclimatize and then gain altitude. This was a bad negligence from our end.

Regarding giving pass to the Mahindra, there were two occasion's, once when i was climbing up and once i had to reverse up on the incline while going down! Actually there are some tight spots where two vehicles can squeeze. But finding that space is a tough job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post

P.S: In 2017, I remember they were repairing the roads from Tumling to Sandakphu. Seeing your pictures, it seems its still the same.
Thanks. Tumling to Gairibas, road is good now. From Gairibas to Sandakphu the road is still bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip27in View Post
Sharing few photographs from my end
Lovely photographs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedriver76 View Post
Driving 1500 kms on a weekend and thereafter climbing to 11K feet above sea level requires a lot of passion. The video of the ascent gave me goosebumps, the road was so narrow and steep.
Thanks a ton. This road is the main thrill of driving to Sandakphu.
And this is till date the only hill station where i have not seen a Maruti Alto at the top! Believe me, wherever i went and how bad the roads may be, i found a Maruti Alto or a Maruti 800 at the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post

Do the Landy's still ply till Phalut ?
Thanks dada.
I asked the Landrover driver's about Phalut. They told, the roads are filled with boulders but they will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post

IMHO, it is nothing but goondaism on part of the Land Rover taxiwallahs to extort Rs 500 per private car plus force you to hire one of their taxis too. I wish you had protested and taken up the matter with local authorities, especially since there were quite a few of you and all were driving private cars, not rented cars.
Thanks.
There is no point arguing with them, as the local authority is in their favor too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
I wish we hadn't discussed the trip so much on other forums, before I chanced upon this thread. Nothing more to say, but the fact that it was an excellent trip with all the heavyweights of Kolkata teambhp chipping together. Wish I was in town this time, would have hopped on to one of the vehicles.
Thanks.
It's never too late! We can plan again! You just need to tell this to the Kolkata Bhpian's once. Am sure another plan will be made in no time!

Last edited by Samba : 24th November 2019 at 00:25.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 03:27   #36
BHPian

Stunning travelogue and even beautiful pictures. I hope the mods do not ban further posting of mobile pics that i am used to doing.

I am usually such lazy that driving on a weekend from Kolkata to Digha and back with one night stay is considered an equivalent of interstellar travel. Kolkata to Sandakphu on a weekend cannot be imagined and after seeing that steep road i would prefer to watch your video on projector or a 360 VR than to drive.

You are awesome samba and so is the team who dared to achieve this excellence. All the best for future trips, may be mounting the cam outside the car on the roof would have given and even better perspective of the road to fence sitters like us (don't listen ).

Last edited by haisaikat : 24th November 2019 at 03:29.
haisaikat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 09:05   #37
BHPian

Was reading it while coming to office in metro and i forgot to get down at my station & realised that two station after!! I was so lost in the article..

This is marvellous. Awestruck photographs of sunset, sunrise, cars with the roads & the short, crisp yet beautifully narrated blog. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Videos were placed bang on time when I was imagining about the place by your writing. Gote to sandakphu was more scary than the other one. Don't know if I am correct.

Day & week started with a lovely read. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for the photographs to you as well to BHPian SouravC.

One thing, why did LR association charged twice? like paying 500/- per car & compulsory hiring one LR? Is it negotiable?

I hope BHPian PapaBravo is fine now.
cp171185 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 09:51   #38
BHPian

Samba Da as usual excellent thread and even better are the photograph. You've done one of the most treacherous roads in the world even today. I've heard the last 4km ascent is one of the steepest and most difficult to drive and is proper 4WD territory. Seeing as you have posted snippets from your dashcam it will be great if you have the full clip of the last 4km and can share that here. Will be a treat to see though I guess it wasn't that much of a treat to do in reality I guess.

Regards,
Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:43   #39
BHPian

Superb Travelogue, actually one of the best videos I have seen for Sandakphu i got to see from this thread.

Awesome pictures, Kudos to the entire team.
Such a treat to see the photographs from all.
SVK Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 17:43   #40
BHPian

The pictures are superlative Samba. No one could have captured the beauty of Sandakphu so well. It was great doing this trip together. You made it look like a piece of cake. I am sure your second trip is already on the cards.

Sharing some pictures I took on phone.

Sunrise just before climbing the hills

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-rvm.jpg

Stop & regrouping at Chitrey

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-paj-chitrey.jpg

Pajero & Red Express Enjoying the Jungle

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-paj-red-exp-tree.jpg

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-red-exp.jpg

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-paj-trees.jpg

The concretised part of the road

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-road.jpg

Mt. Kanchenjunga

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-mt-k.jpg

And the beautiful views from top

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-hills.jpg

Also, sharing some pictures of HULK, my car at the top when we went there in April.

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-sandakphu-hulk.jpg

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-sherpa-chalet-bolero-hulk.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
I hope BHPian PapaBravo is fine now.
Thanks for asking cp171185. I started feeling better as soon as we descended to a lower altitude. I was perfectly okay the next day.

Cheers,

Pawan

Last edited by PapaBravo : 26th November 2019 at 17:47. Reason: Typo
PapaBravo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 00:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on having ticked Sandakphu off your list. The weather seemed great, pictures came out breathtaking.

Just sharing a pic from my last time there. No sign of any clouds between Mt-K and Sandakphu!

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-img_68761.jpg

But then, this story was captured in my previous travelogue of the same destination.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 05:13   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Did you encounter any cyclists? I do understand the switchbacks would need them to walk, but did you see any?
No silverado, I have not seen any cyclist there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
You need to reimburse all those who drive to Sandakphu in their own vehicles.
I will happily reimburse all of them but on one condition. Mahindra should be paying me a commission for every 4WD Bolero they sell in the Sandakphu region. I saw at least 6 to 7 Bolero 4WDs this time and that has happened due to one Bolero LX 4WD busting the myth 8 years back that it is a Land Rover only territory

The one that started it all!

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-dsc_1348.jpg

A weekend road-trip from Kolkata to Sandakphu-dsc_0897.jpg
BlackPearl is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 05:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I saw at least 6 to 7 Bolero 4WDs this time and that has happened due to one Bolero LX 4WD busting the myth 8 years back that it is a Land Rover only territory
Was never LR only territory.

Quite a few of the assistant managers (one is an inactive member on this forum) of the Darjeeling tea estates have daytripped to Sandakphu in their vehicles and mobikes. (Somehow managers were less adventurous) I don't know about Boleros, but certainly Jeeps (Hurricane and XDP) and Gypsy (1 L, which I believe was a pain, but doable), RX 100, and at least one RD have made it to the top.

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Posting from Assam in broad daylight now, courtesy Jio. Progress.

Last edited by Sutripta : 27th November 2019 at 05:57.
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 15:13   #44
BHPian

Wonderful to see BHPians brothers of the Kolkata Chapter at Sandakphu. Great Pictures and Videos there by everyone - Samba, SouraC, BlackPearl & dip27in !!

Missed catching up with you guys this time as was off to Meghalaya for a few days for the Cherry Blossom !! Had the trip been planned a week later, would have definitely joined in from Guwahati.

But I guess for me, the time is yet to come for that. My Teenage Endy will have to wait to scale Sandakphu
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 17:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
I am usually such lazy that driving on a weekend from Kolkata to Digha and back with one night stay is considered an equivalent of interstellar travel.
Thank's dada.
Yesterday night, I read your travelogue on the beaches of Bengal. It was a fantastic read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post

One thing, why did LR association charged twice? like paying 500/- per car & compulsory hiring one LR? Is it negotiable?
Thanks.

Paying Rs 500 is compulsory. Taking the Land Rover can't be. They take that chance. One can always argue and go in without paying for the LR, but during a trip, it's best to avoid getting involved into a controversy with the locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
I've heard the last 4km ascent is one of the steepest and most difficult to drive and is proper 4WD territory. Seeing as you have posted snippets from your dashcam it will be great if you have the full clip of the last 4km and can share that here.
Thanks.

And here you go. A 16 mins clip of the last 4 km stretch from Bikeybhanjan to Sandakphu -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
Superb Travelogue, actually one of the best videos I have seen for Sandakphu i got to see from this thread.
Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
The pictures are superlative Samba. No one could have captured the beauty of Sandakphu so well.
Thanks Pawan Da. Loved the pic of Red Express inside Singalila National park. The light and shade made the pic look stunning. You captured it beautifully. One of the best pic of my Duster!

The other pics you shared are equally beautiful and not to mention the Pajero Sport is looking drool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Congratulations on having ticked Sandakphu off your list. The weather seemed great, pictures came out breathtaking.
Thanks.
White Sandakphu will remain a dream for me, until i own a vehicle with a proper low range!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
But I guess for me, the time is yet to come for that. My Teenage Endy will have to wait to scale Sandakphu
Thanks.
Will plan for Sandakphu again! Wife is quite angry on me, for not taking her in this trip! So have to scale Sandakphu again!

Last edited by Samba : 28th November 2019 at 17:53.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks