Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2019, 16:10   #1
BHPian

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya

Taking leave from your self employment always seems a distant thought. Life's daily routines does not allow the mind to wander although the soul and the heart craves to getaway. Probably that is the reason why since the last couple of years I haven't been able to break free for a vacation inspite of innumerous miles munched travelling for work.

Thus, I found it best to cocktail work with leisure since a trip to the North East was already planned for some work at multiple locations. The initial plan was for the 3rd week of November, but little i knew about what was going on in Meghalaya. Once, the home department (my wife Eshita) was informed about the plans, she suggested to prepone the plan by a week in order to witness the Cherry Blossom in Meghalaya.

Yes you heard it right ! It was going the be the 3rd Cherry Blossom Festival that was going to be hosted in Shillong, Meghalaya this year. The dates for that as mentioned online was between the 10th of November 2019 upto the 17th of November 2019. The Meghalaya Government is really trying hard to promote this but has neither got adequate traction to draw the attention of people across India nor tourists from overseas where on the other hand Japan hosts the Best Cherry Blossom Festivals in the world. At least it is a beginning and I cherished being the first BHPian to witness the Beautiful State of Meghalaya during this season.

So who is the Teenage in this Travelogue ?
My Preworshiped Ford Endeavour XLT 4x4 is the Teenage Lad who has been the workhorse for my work trips in these past couple of years and also a wonderful companion on some undocumented cross country trips as well. Sharing a Picture from the Trip of the Endy :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-1.jpg

A teaser picture of Meghalaya (reflecting the abode of clouds) before we start the Travelogue :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2831.jpg

Khasi, Garo & Jaintia Hills form the state of Meghalaya. The Itinerary for the Trip as it was done :
DAY 01 : 14.11.2019 : Kolkata to Siliguri
DAY 02 : 15.11.2019 : Siliguri to Shillong
DAY 03 : 16.11.2019 : Shillong
DAY 04 : 17.11.2019 : Shillong to Krang Shuri Waterfalls to Dawki to Mawlynnong to Tyrna Village (off Cherrapunjee)
DAY 05 : 18.11.2019 : Double Decker Root Bridge Trek @ Cherrapunjee
DAY 06 : 19.11.2019 : Cherrapunjee Sight Seeing and drive to Lawbah (off Mawsynram)
DAY 07 : 20.11.2019 : Lawbah to Nongkhnum Island Beach to Nongstoin to Mairang to Guwahati
DAY 08 : 21.11.2019 : Guwahati
DAY 09 : 22.11.2019 : Guwahati to Siliguri
DAY 10 : 23.11.2019 : Siliguri to Kolkata

Meghalaya also known as the Abode of Clouds has lots to offer and we are glad that we covered the most of it. Some Highlights of the Trip :
  • Cherry Blossom - Shillong
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-2.jpg

• Attending a Rock Show in the Rock Capital of India
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-3.jpg

• Swimming in Ice Cold Waters - Krang Shuri Waterfalls
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-4.jpg

• Boating in the Clear River Waters - Dawki
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-5.jpg

• Seeing the Cleanest Village in Asia - Mawlynnong
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-6.jpg

• Double Decker Living Root Bridge Trek - Cherrapunjee
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-7.jpg

• A visit to the Wettest Place in the World - Mawsynram
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-8.jpg

• Visiting the Island Sand Beach of Meghalaya - Nongkhnum
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-9.jpg

• Pineapples in Meghalaya deserve a special mention since they are incomparable
    Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-10.jpg
You know you cannot go wrong if you have the right company for such a trip and I am glad my childhood friend Vinay and his wife Ekta joined us for the trip. We have done several trips together in the past as well, but this time instead of flying to point B, they agreed to drive with us from point A itself which was a welcoming change and helped me to catch up on some sleep enroute Siliguri and then to Shillong.

A Picture of us : (From Left to Right - Arav, Vinay, Ekta, Eshita)
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-20191114_154419.jpg

DAY 1 : Kolkata to Siliguri :

At around 02:30am in the morning we reached Vinay's place to pick them up. They were all set and ready with no delays what so ever and by the time we loaded the truck and started for Siliguri it was around 02:45am. The drive had nothing much to offer apart from some good music and some irritating toll jams during the initial part of the trip upto Palsit. Luckily, I took the non tarred lane to my extreme right and managed to cross a queue of over 2.5Kms in order to reach the Palsit toll. I would have never dared to that in any other vehicle considering the soil was sliding off on the right as we drove.

Parked Before Vinay's Residence to pick them up :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-20191114_021844.jpg

A short break on the Botolbari Stretch :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-20191114_135824.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-20191114_135853.jpg

It was a pretty uneventful boring drive to Siliguri. It was all very smooth until we came across slight traffic jam first at Kalichak and then a much bigger one at Raigunj, right in front of the Bird Sanctuary. We were stuck there for over an hour. Luckily we came across these birds outside the Bird Sanctuary alongside the highway which helped us to kill some boredom of being stuck in the traffic :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2145.jpg

Vinay taking over the driver's seat after Botolbari :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-20191114_154659.jpg

A customary picture of the Tea Gardens before reaching Siliguri :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2151.jpg

Covering around 580Kms via Burdwan, we reached Siliguri at around 04:15pm in the afternoon. We were staying with Vinay's relatives who resided opposite to Silpanchal Bhawan in Siliguri. I dropped all of them there, freshened up and set off for work which continued till around 08:30pm and got back home to catch up on some sumptuous home made dinner. We had plans to leave early in the morning for Shillong, i.e.- much earlier than the sun rises. So catching up on some sleep was that much more important and mandatory. It was around 10:00pm that we called it a day.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 14:04. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 16:08   #2
BHPian

Re: Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya

DAY 2 : Part I : Siliguri to Umiam Lake :

We woke up at around 01:30am and by the time we set sail for the day it was around 02:45am in the morning. The plan was to have Lunch alongside the Umiam Lake and be there till sunset before getting into Shillong. We were more or less on schedule and were set for a spirited drive to Shillong.

The Endy just awaiting departure :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2154.jpg

Enjoying the first rays from the sun :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2169.jpg

And it keeps of reflecting on the bonnet ! Could not help but stop and take some snaps :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2181.jpg

We had crossed Dooars in the dark and the Sunrise was indeed majestic :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2198.jpg

We crossed the Bengal Assam Border where our Car Papers were checked without much of an issue and we were allowed to proceed ahead for our onwards journey. We were all waiting to stop for breakfast and at around 07:15am we stopped for breakfast. Our breakfast was all set with some freshly made Tea and some boiled eggs to give company to the food which we were already carrying. Ekta our "Gujju Ben" was carrying home made Kakhra, Thepla, Chhundo etc. which was accompanied by some sandwiches made by Eshita.

A picture of the stop for Breakfast :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2200.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2206.jpg

A picture of the ladies who did the breakfast :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2209.jpg

A sight to behold while attending to the Nature's Call. "Har Jagah Kamal Ka Phool" :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2213.jpg

The roads around the border areas were a little rugged. The concrete roads had sharp ditches which could put any suspension at massive play. Approximately a stretch of 10Kms on either side was not in the best of health. Once we started after the break for breakfast, the roads became very good. One just has to be cautious of the rumble strips (continuous bumps) which very frequently will cross your way and help you to reduce your overall average speed.

The roads were pretty good and picturesque also. Vinay took over the driver's seat and I had some time to click the surroundings.

Sharing some random clicks :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2215.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2217.jpg

Photographing the "O Majhi Re" :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2219.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2239.jpg

At around 10:15am we crossed Guwahati City. Indulged in some Nachos with a Pesto Dip which we were carrying and I changed seats with Vinay as the Hills were calling. It was not long enough that we crossed Nongpo that we came across a couple of ladies who had set shop for selling Pineapples - A Local Produce of that area !! It was a sight to see. My father used to frequent the North East in his earlier days (and that too driving when the roads were non existent) and had told me that I must indulge myself in the Pineapples of this region.

As we parked our Endy, an Army JCB and an Army Truck came and parked behind me. They too were there for the pineapples !! Initially, I thought they had parked behind us in order to make us clear the way which might have been obstructing the way for other commuters IMHO. But thankfully that was not the case and we spent some time there in leisure.

Parked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2248.jpg

Vinay Chit Chatting with the Army People as the ladies looked on :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2251.jpg

A lot to offer :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2259.jpg

The way in which they cut the Pineapple is so different. Also the fact that they let the centre be as it is not hard at all and is very easily edible. I just could not wait to taste it. However, Eshita being highly allergic to Pineapples was confused on whether to try it or not. Let the story unfold.

Cutting the pineapple :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2247.jpg

Served on a Plate :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2256.jpg

There was no way that anyone could not relish those Juicy Pineapples. Eshita also could not resist and indulged in the pineapples which she was allergic to. Surprisingly, there was no reaction and she enjoyed it a lot. More takers so more pineapples and the same was on repeat mode. It was really awesome and worth the indulgence. Something no one should miss when in this region.

And, they also had some colourful Fish Pickle on offer :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2257.jpg

The roads were like that of a race track thereafter and the surrounding was all lush green :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2261.jpg

The Local Taxis attracted me due to their Lime Colour : (Reminds me of the colourful taxis in South East Asia)
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2262.jpg

A sedan would have done justice to these genre of roads :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2272.jpg

A local Alto entering the Thrills Park which had a Go-Karting Track ! Interesting indeed :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2283.jpg

We were cruising along the winding roads and enjoying the drive alongside the farthest end of Umiam Lake. Suddenly, the first glimpse of Cherry Blossom awed us and we immediately parked on the side of the road.

The first glimpse of the Cherry Blossom :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2294.jpg

The gang just ran under the tree and dazed in awe :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2291.jpg

A 6'1" putting his height to the best use to oblige the ladies :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2293.jpg

Happy faces :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2307.jpg

A complete picture - Umiam, Cherry Blossom and the Endy (from Left to Right) :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2330.jpg

It was around 02:30pm and we were unsure of the place for Lunch. Ekta called up Aaron our Homestay Host in Shillong who suggested and guided us to stop by the Orchid Lake Resort for Lunch. It is a Government run Hotel (which definitely does not look like one) and is located right on the Umiam Lake.

The entrance to the Resort :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2337.jpg

Beautiful Property Indeed !! Had we known about this earlier, we would have stayed here for the night :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2362.jpg

The Endy parked at the Hotel Parking :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2341.jpg

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 14:05. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 19:23   #3
BHPian

DAY 2 : Part II : Umiam Lake to Shillong :

As soon as we reached the Resort, we freshened up and ordered our Lunch. We were told that the resort is connected to the walk way which goes all around the Umiam Lake and that we could explore it as our Lunch got prepared. It sounded like a good idea and we headed out for a stroll enjoying the cool breeze from the Umiam Lake and the bright sunshine piercing through the dense cover of trees around the Umiam Lake.

Walking along side the Umiam Lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2368.jpg

"Ek selfie toh banta hai" :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-20191115_143353.jpg

Clicking the other couple :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2360.jpg

The natural shade given by these trees :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2371.jpg

A bridge along side the walk way which came from another resort probably :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2384.jpg

Vinay and Ekta chilling at a View Point :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2385.jpg

Caught hold of these flowers on the banks of the lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2387-2.jpg

A beautiful view of the Umiam Lake from the view point :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2391.jpg

Spending some relaxing time admiring the nature. Some candid clicks :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2392.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img20191115wa0014.jpg

Cherry Blossom all around the Umiam Lake as well (a close shot) :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2399.jpg

It was time for us to head back to the restaurant along side the Umiam Lake for our Lunch. We had ordered North Indian food chased up with the Best Caramel Custard that I have ever had. A slice so big that it satiated the sweet tooth of all four of us. We were so engrossed in eating the sumptuous food that we unfortunately did not click any snaps.

If at Umiam, boating is a must and the gate to the Umiam Water Sports Complex was just beside the entrance to the Orchid Lake Resort so we just walked into the complex. It helped us digest our food better We decided to take a quick tour of the lake in a Speed (Raft) Boat. Tourists were sparsely present there with some locals shooting their Music Videos whereas some were there for their Pre-Wedding Shoot as well. Seems that this place was famous !!

The view of Umiam was unreal from here. If a picture could define Meghalaya, it could be this :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2411.jpg

The rides parked at the Umiam Lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2417.jpg

Other Tourists :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2414.jpg

We also took a ride and it was so refreshing !! We were cutting through the breeze and heading towards the sunset. Sharing some snaps of our Boat Ride :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2421.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2426.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2437.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2447.jpg

It was a short sprint of the Speed Boat in a loop. We returned back to the starting point in a few minutes and spent some time enjoying the Sunset at the Umiam Lake. It was very calm and serene. Sharing some pictures :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2454.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2462.jpg

We now headed towards Shillong Town which is only a 45 minutes drive from here. The roads were pretty jammed enroute our Homestay which was located near the Shillong Golf Course, along side the Police Training School. A beautiful location indeed. It was easy to find the place and our host Aaron guided us very nicely. It was a stand alone 2 BHK Villa which we would had to ourselves for the next 2 days with ample parking space for our truck.

The Endy Parked at the Homestay :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2513.jpg

We unloaded the luggage and planned to walk upto a nearby cafe name "Open Up Cafe" for Dinner which was not very far from our abode. It was a nice walk as there was a slight nipping chill in the air.

Walking through the streets :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2556.jpg

Indulging in Momos from a Local Shack. This one Momo was big enough for 2 people to have as a snack. The sauce was fiery and yum :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2520.jpg

It was buzzing at the Open Up Cafe :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2528.jpg

There were only 6 items in Vegetarian at this place out of which we ordered 4 of them. Everything was just awesome. Pad Thai Noodles :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-20191115_205333.jpg

To wrap up the meal they did not have any desserts. Instead Chai with Old Monk was the ale for the night post our dinner :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-20191115_210940.jpg

Wish could spend the rest of the night under this :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2529.jpg

Ekta interacting with a shopkeeper of an Organic Store. The conversation was very alien to me :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2552.jpg

We went back to our homestay and retired for the day. A glimpse :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2819.jpg

We had to catch up on a lot of lost sleep of the past few days and the comfort of the homestay just lulled us. A day well spent indeed with over a 550Kms Drive on fairly very good highway roads and excellent 4 lane hill roads !! I wish that I had a fast RWD Sedan on these roads. Reminds me of the Tokyo Drift !!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th February 2020 at 18:28. Reason: Minor typos corrected. Thanks for sharing.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 20:58   #4
BHPian

Day 3 : Part I : A Morning Walk in the Shillong Golf Course :

Early to bed and early to rise is a mantra that we have been trying to follow for sometime now and somehow it works better on Holidays. This only goes for me & Eshita whereas Vinay and Ekta are habitual early risers. However, without much effort we all were up and left for our morning walk. The idea was to explore the Golf Course Area where the Cherry Blossom Trees were in abundance. Vinay & Ekta left a little earlier than us for their stroll. We enjoyed our walk to and fro the Golf Course and saw lovely Cherry Blossom Trees on the approach road to the Golf Course.

The moment we were out of our homestay in the morning, this is what we saw :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2567.jpg

And more of it :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2568.jpg

A customary selfie :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2569.jpg

Reached the side entrance of the Shillong Golf Course :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2579.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2587.jpg

There were practice going on for a Competition which was due to be held later in the day :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2589.jpg

We could not explore the Golf Course much as they did not allow us into the main course area due to the competition preparations :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2593.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2597.jpg

Capturing some fresh dew drops :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2598.jpg

Competition was between the dew drops and the sun rays as well :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2601.jpg

A Board having the detailed itinerary of the Cherry Blossom Festival :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2602.jpg

An interesting place to say for the golfers :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2606.jpg

Some lovely captures of the Cherry Blossom enroute our Homestay :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2607.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2609.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2613.jpg

Getting clicked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2615.jpg

Capturing "Life" :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2617.jpg

Zooming into the Blossoms :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2618.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2620.jpg

Once we reached our homestay we saw that our Host Aaron's Baleno was parked behind the Endy. He was there with our breakfast. He lived in the nearby bungalow. He was such a sweet guy who had his hospitality course right.

The Cars Parked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2626.jpg

A Group Selfie (Our host Aaron to the extreme Left) :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2627.jpg

Time for my Selfies with the Endy after cleaning it up :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2628.jpg

He was also staying at our homestay, free of cost :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2635.jpg

Some Fresh Organic Produce from our Homestay garden :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2645.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2644.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th February 2020 at 19:11. Reason: Minor typos edited. Thanks for sharing.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 23:05   #5
BHPian

Day 3 : Part II : Attending the Cherry Blossom Festival :

The breakfast provided by Aaron was very filling and we enjoyed it a lot. We had abundance of Assam Tea with us to add that extra bit of colour to our breakfast. We relaxed for sometime and soaked ourselves under the morning sun. We freshened up and left the homestay to explore the city of Shillong. The entire town was Pink with the Cherry Blossom Trees. We did not have to scout for them as they were in plenty and blooming in their prime.

Peekaboo into a restricted Golfing Area : (Gorgeous Cherry Blossom)
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2651-2.jpg

A football Field :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2659.jpg

Due to the abundance of the Supari Tree in Meghalaya, the locals (mostly everyone - Men & Women of all ages) are addicted to chewing Beetle Leaf with Supari aka Paan. These is not the "paan" that we are used to. You will definitely end up burning your mouth with the amount of "Choona" they use.

Could not refrain myself from clicking the Paan Shop :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2663.jpg

We had planned to go to the Ward's Lake which is famous for the Cherry Blossom during this season. Entrance to Ward's Lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2667.jpg

Parking right in front of the Ward's Lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2668.jpg

A selfie at the Ward's Lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2700.jpg

A group Selfie while Boating at the Ward's Lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2702.jpg

The boating experience was very lousy as the boat was lazier than we were and refused to change directions. All four of us laughed our lungs out while boating as if we were school going kids. I guess it was not used to carry the weight it was carrying. However it was a good 45 Minutes Boat Ride which was comforting under the afternoon sun.

Some captures at the Ward's Lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2708.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2714.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2744.jpg

Across the bridge at Ward's Lake, meaning on the other side, there was a small colourfully decorated restaurant which was calling us. Although we were in no mood for much food, a plate of Momos is never too heavy.

The restaurant :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2745.jpg

Some chocolates up for grabs :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2747.jpg

Outside the restaurant, there was this live counter making Hot Waffles topped with Nutella & Chocolate. It was definitely worth a try :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2750.jpg

Chased that up with lovely Eclairs Pastry from the restaurant :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2760.jpg

A Pink Shillong :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2766.jpg

I had a short meeting to attend to, so left the Ward's Lake for a short while and got back to join everyone soon. We then drove around Shillong in search of some Naga Food. Strangely there is not much parking restriction in Shillong. Only the areas adjoining Police Bazaar have stopping and parking restrictions.

We parked our ride before this beautiful church :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2770.jpg

And we walked upto the Jadoh Restaurant which serves Naga Meals to try what they had to offer. We ordered one meal and we all tasted the food which was expectedly bland with not much choice for Vegetarians. The Non Vegetarians also I doubt would relish the food. But does well to fill the stomach so should not complain much. We however paid a visit to the first floor of the premises which had another restaurant from where we got some Pickled Chillies packed. That was good, rather awesome !

The Jadoh Restaurant :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2773.jpg

From here, we headed to Police Bazaar. There is a Multi Level Car Parking Complex which denied parking to us due to the mass of my vehicle and I had no other option but to fetch for a parking spot where there is no No Parking mentioned. We dropped the ladies at the main round about and asked them to proceed with their shopping. We set up a time and decided to meet there for lunch.

Well finding a parking was not a tough job as no one could park where we could. Notice the articulation. Sharing a picture :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2788.jpg

From the parking spot to the police bazaar road was a short walk and was pouring with tourists and locals. It seemed everyone in Shillong was here and that's why the city seemed deserted.

A picture of the crowded Police Bazaar :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2779.jpg

Varieties of Chilli up on sale :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2780.jpg

"Tez Dhaar .... baaki sab Bekaar" :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2781.jpg

We got to know that Lameez Restaurant serves the Best Food in Police Bazaar, so it was our destination for an Asian Lunch :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2784.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2785.jpg

The ladies again headed for some shopping whereas Vinay headed to the Polo Festival Grounds where the Cherry Blossom Festival was held. I headed to Keating Road (in close proximity to Police Bazaar) where I had some work and also had to get some issues with the vehicle sorted. It took me around an hour and a half and I got back to pick up the ladies and head to the Polo Grounds. The approach to the grounds was in a menace and we decided to park 1.5Kms away from the ground and walk it downhill to the Polo Grounds to meet up with Vinay.

There was a stampede at the entrance of the Polo Grounds. All you had to do is stand and leave the rest to the crowd who had ensured that they will push you inside. There could only be 2 possible reasons for such unsolicited rush. Firstly, the entry was Free so it was attended by almost every tourist and every local irrespective of their interest. Secondly, the Rock Show was about to begin and the people of that region are crazy about Rock Music; Shillong being the Rock Capital of India.

We met Vinay and walked around the ground. There were food stalls all over the ground. We headed to the Rock Show to hear the Mizoram Band - Sound from the Hills !

The show had just begun :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2799.jpg

The Polo Ground was House Full :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2802.jpg

Fresh Roast:
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2803.jpg

The Show Underway (some pictures) :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2805.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2811.jpg

A selfie before the Rock Show :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_2812.jpg

Time just flew past by. It was around 09:00pm and we thought of heading back to our homestay. On the way back, we wanted to stop by a good place for dinner. However, our car was parked 1.5Kms away from the Polo Ground and we took a Taxi who very unwillingly dropped us back. We headed to Cafe Shillong Restaurant, but unfortunately their chef was on leave and they were closed. We hunted at least 7-8 Restaurants that night. All of them had either closed down before the closing time or did not have food left to give us a takeaway. It was a very sad situation. Even Dominos refused to give us food as they had exhausted their basic ingredients. With not much option, we got some Cup Noodles and some ready to cook food from a Grocery/ Departmental Store and headed back to our homestay.

Now to cover a distance of 3Kms to our homestay, we took almost a couple of hours and still we were at the same place as most of the roads were either NO ENTRY/ made One Way for the Festival Evening or had entry restricted. Ultimately we were coming back to the same spot with no progress. After persuading a Police Officer and making him understand the situation, he allowed us to get into a One Way and asked us to drive carefully against the oncoming traffic, specially bikers. In no time we were back to our abode after a disastrous few hours.

We prepped our meal and unwinded at our homestay. There was not much to pack, so we left that for the morning and called it a day. The following day was going to be a long one !!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th December 2019 at 08:43. Reason: Rule #11
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Day 4 : Part I : The Drive to Krang Shuri Falls (via Jowai Section) :

It was going to be a long day. A drive of 250Kms with some major places to visit. Initially we had planned to go to visit Narthiang Monoliths, Krang Shuri Waterfalls, Umngot River at Dawki Village, Mawsynram and then head to Cherrapunjee. But thanks to the unsolicited delay the previous night, we woke up a little late and only managed to leave our Homestay by 06:00am. Thus we decided to give Narthiang Monoliths a miss since for this we would have had to take a completely different diversion from Jowai. Instead we made Krang Shuri Falls our first destination for the day which was in between Jowai and Dawki. Our host Aaron was there early in the morning with our breakfast packed.

This drive requires a special mention as instead of taking the conventional route from Shillong to Cherrapunjee which is the continuation of the famous G.S. Road which is a four laned highway, this road was 2 laned though good, very scenic and traffic free.

A last glimpse of the Cherry Blossom in Shillong :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-1.jpg

Tanking up the Tank :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-2.jpg

We were now heading towards the Jainthia Hills and the scenic beauty kept altering itself after every few kilometers :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-3.jpg

So this is where the clouds dwell :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-4.jpg

Nothing can beat the magic of a winter sun :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-5.jpg

Light and Shadow, part of life :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-6.jpg

Lush green surroundings along the highway :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-7.jpg

We had left the Cherry Blossoms behind, but they were not leaving us :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-8.jpg

Kids happy to see an inhabited truck on an isolated road :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-9.jpg

With the sun on our face and the wind in our hair, we drove along as Mark Knopfler kept us entertained :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-10.jpg

Majestic views of the rice fields :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-11.jpg

Suddenly it became biting cold and the road ahead was covered in dense fog :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-12.jpg

The gateway said "Welcome to Jainthia Hills District" :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-13.jpg

As we drove into the fog, it just got denser and it reminded me of Gedu in Bhutan :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-14.jpg

The weather cleared out in sometime and we cruised ahead to Khlieh Tyrshi in West Jainthia Hills. We came across this restaurant which was on our left hand side for which we had to go off our path (a left) from the T-Junction. It was named Highwinds. It seemed pretty good for travelers to stop for some food etc. but unfortunately it was closed.

A picture of the board on the Highway which said it's along side a lake :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-15.jpg

We moved ahead and at around 08:00am we found a small Dhaba named Choice Dhaba and decided to take a break for breakfast :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-16.jpg

Breakfast on a sparkling clean bonnet is always such a pain :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-17.jpg

The Puri Sabji of the Dhaba along with the Boiled Eggs and Jam Sandwiches provided by Aaron was such a wholesomely filling breakfast. Not forgetting the tea by any means whatsoever. A picture of the 3 Course Breakfast :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-18.jpg

Refueled with the food, we started our journey again and took the right towards Jowai :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-19.jpg

We came across this bridge which was completely deserted. We could hear a stream flowing mildly and stopped there for some photos.

The Endy taking the frame :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-21.jpg

See the clear waters on the extreme left end reflecting majestic colours :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-22.jpg

A selfie :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-23.jpg

The Endy Posing again :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-24.jpg

The twisty roads :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-25.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-27.jpg

Natural Caves alongside the Highway. We guessed that there might be some people sleeping in them :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-26.jpg

The Endy posing again :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-28.jpg

A shot of the flat top mountains of Meghalaya :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p6-29.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th February 2020 at 18:32. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 22:26   #7
BHPian

Day 4 : Part II : At the Krang Shuri Waterfalls :

A wooden board on the Highway notified us of the diversion to Krang Shuri Falls. The road just thrilled me :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-1.jpg

It was a short drive off the road and we landed up at a field which had ample parking space :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-2.jpg

We parked right in front of this monolith and me and Vinay were upto our childishness :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-3.jpg

We started our hike down to the Falls. It was an unpaved rocky road :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-4.jpg

A sight of the river from a view point, which created the falls :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-5.jpg

The path we took :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-6.jpg

Collecting some unseen flora :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-7.jpg

Quenched our thirst with the water from this stream :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-8.jpg

There came a pasture of land where they have built toilets and changing rooms for men and women who desired to take a dip in the ice cold water of the falls. Also, wearing a life jacket is mandatory here and you can collect one for each by paying up a charge of Rs.50/ head. We did the necessary, got into our swimming gear and headed to the falls. There was a life guard there who also takes care of your belongings.

Selfie time before the falls :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-9.jpg

Ekta all prepped up to go in :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-10.jpg

Us in the freezing waters :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-11.jpg

Our prophet meditating amidst the rocks across the pool :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-12.jpg

Some pictures of the mesmerizing Krang Shuri Water Falls :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-13.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-14.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-15.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-16.jpg

We spent more time than what was planned for this place. Such was the natural beauty that we kept on getting soaked in it continually. There were some clouds wandering above us and we thought it would be better if we wrapped up and moved on. We all changed and started our hike back to where the car was parked. Mid way we were out of breath and climbing up seemed to be such an undesirable task. Me and Eshita headed back to the car and parked the car beside a small eatery as we were feeling hungry. Vinay and Ekta were no where to be seen. They went exploring the river which created the waterfall and got to know that they offer tented accommodation alongside the river at a very minimal charge which seemed very interesting. I somehow have misplaced the photos they took and will scout for them as the place seemed extremely unreal and so close to nature.

Eshita ordering a portion of Maggi for us :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-17.jpg

Soon Vinay and Ekta were back and we just enjoyed some hot Tea and Maggi as the music played and the clothes dried :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-18.jpg

The Endy sunbathing :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-19.jpg

All this ate up a lot of time and we were way behind our schedule. None the less, the experience was enthralling and we assimilated all of it. The only worry we had was that in case we were late for Dawki, we will miss the afternoon sun and the shadows of the boats on the Umngot River Bed. Dawki was around 30 Kilometers from where we were and we estimated it to be an hour's drive. It was now time to enjoy the spirited drive to Dawki.

Taking the road back to the main highway :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-20.jpg

When the sun plays peekaboo with the clouds, the earth smiles :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-21.jpg

The road to Dawki Village from Krang Shuri Falls :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-22.jpg

The shadow of the Clouds on the mountain tops :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-23.jpg

This region was a rocky region and there was an abundance of Stone Crushing Units in this area. There were trucks parked all along the highway which were loaded with stones. The queue seemed to be endless and lasted for kilometers. This further slowed us down as we had to be cautious of the oncoming traffic from the other side, leaving adequate space for them and also to keep safe distance from the parked trucks. Who knows when one would decide to come out of the queue. Kept this in mind as we saw some truckers do that.

This particular truck caught my attention though, the one with chrome wheel caps :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-24.jpg

As we descended and crossed the massive line up of trucks, there came a hairpin bend from where our neighbours could be seen. Bangladesh ahead !! We understood that Dawki was not very far now as it is located on the India Bangladesh Border.

The view :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-25.jpg

A flower from a tree nearby :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p7-26.jpg

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 14:46. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 22:30   #8
BHPian

Day 4 : Part III : Boating @ Umngot River, Dawki Village :

It was around 01:00pm that we reached Dawki. To our luck, it was not overcast, it was a clear sky and the sun was shining bright. All the good ingredients for a wonderful boat ride was in place. The entry point seemed slightly crowded as we approached but to our luck we found a premium parking spot right at the entrance.

The Endy parked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-1.jpg

The system is very neat and clean at Dawki. Go to one of the counters of the Dawki Boating Association and pay Rs.700/ Boat for a hour and half boat ride. No need to go individually to boatmen and haggle or bargain with the boat ride rates. Pay get a ticket and give the ticket to any boatman for your ride. Every boat has a set of life jackets with them and you are compelled to wear them.

Dawki Boating Association Board :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-2.jpg

Once in Dawki, one does not need to pen down much. The pictures can do the talking and explain the beauty of this place :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-3.jpg

The boats parked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-4.jpg

A boatman sailing solo :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-5.jpg

We got onto our boat and headed towards the bridge :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-6.jpg

The colour of the water was different at different places. Initially dark green, then green, blue in some places, yellow in some. But the only thing that was constant all throughout was the crystal clear water through which you can see the river bed. This is what we were here for and this is exactly what we got. Good gracious that in spite of all the delay since morning, we made it to Dawki in time.

Fisherman fishing :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-7.jpg

The clear water :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-8.jpg

Shades of Green :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-9.jpg

When blue mixes with green :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-10.jpg

A selfie once we reached ashore the other side :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-11.jpg

That's how they chill beverages there in Dawki. Barricade the river water with Rocks and you are good to chill the cans :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-12.jpg

Notice the ripples on the rocks :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-13.jpg

Fishes and their shadows on the rocks :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-14.jpg

Are we in water ? Hell yes ! It cannot get more transparent than that :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-15.jpg

The rocky shore :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-16.jpg

Our boat waiting to leave :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-17.jpg

We got onto our boat and started our journey back to where we had started from. This time along the other side of the river :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-18.jpg

Droplets on the river from a small waterfall :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-19.jpg

The kids jumping in for a swim :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-20.jpg

It was not long enough that Vinay did the same :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-21.jpg

These two cute and innocent girls were from Bangladesh and were serving water to the tourists on a per glass basis :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-22.jpg

The Supari Trees towering high :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-23.jpg

We got into the Endy and went to the other side of the bridge :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-24.jpg

The view from here was way better than from the other side where we were. It was probably the angle of the sun which made the water see through and vibrant. The view seemed to be like a slice of Vietnam in India. Leave apart the tourist, the sight of fisherman fishing with their boats in the clear water, queued up one behind the other was very nice and unique.

Sharing some pictures from the other side : (Notice the shadows of the boats in most of the pictures)
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-25.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-26.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-27.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-28.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-29.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p8-30.jpg

Sharing a video of a Boat Sailing through the Umngot River from the other side :

It was around 02:30pm and now the next destination was calling us.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 14:52. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 22:36   #9
BHPian

Day 4 : Part IV : To Mawlynnong (Asia's Cleanest Village) and then to Tyrna (Cherrapunjee) :

For once we thought that we would head straight to Cherrapunjee instead of going to Mawlynnong. But then on a second thought, we thought that in 1.5 Hours we could get to Mawlynnong, stroll for a while, grab something to eat and would then start for Cherrapunjee which would be a 3-4 hours drive from there.

From Pongtong we had to divert to Mawlynnong :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-1.jpg

We took a short break here for some pineapples yet once again :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-2.jpg

Some reflections :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-3.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-4.jpg

This mere 18Km Journey took us almost 45 Minutes as the roads were in tatters. The roads had nothing to offer apart from some formations along side the road which were large holes on the surface of the land which seemed to be endlessly deep. Some had water oozing out of them whereas some remained dry inspite of the stream water flowing into them. We had never seen anything like this in our lives. Something very unique !! It seemed like underground caves which lead to some tunnel.

Here is a picture of the formation :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-5.jpg

Soon we came across some pretty houses :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-6.jpg

It was around 04:00pm that we reached Mawlynnong :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-7.jpg

Entry Ticket to Mawlynnong - the Cleanest Village of Asia :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-8.jpg

Parked our car in the parking lot and started our stroll into the cleanest village :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-9.jpg

A tree house :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-10.jpg

A Church :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-11.jpg

A cluster of houses :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-12.jpg

Another Church :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-13.jpg

A spider in the filthily cleanest village :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-14.jpg

Another beautiful house :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-15.jpg

A very unseen flower :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-16.jpg

We ordered our Lunch and waited :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-17.jpg

The Endy parked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-18.jpg

Lunch was very basic but filling :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-19.jpg

Honestly, I personally felt that Mawlynnong which is termed as the Cleanest Village of Asia is an extremely over hyped place and does not have that much to offer. It seemed as if it was a model town and not a place where people actually lived. Some houses seemed to be under construction as if they were weekend homes to the people in the main towns. Also the fact that the food here is just about extremely basic and not friendly for tourists. Although not many tourists understand the fact that the availability of food itself in such remote locations is a blessing.

At around 05:15pm we left for Cherrapunjee. At around 07:30pm we were crossing Cherrapunjee Town. Our Resort was around 45 minutes away from the town, further down from the small village at Tyrna. The road was completely uninhabited, pitch dark and lifeless. The roads seemed very eerie. G-Maps was not able to navigate due to issues with the mobile network. Called up the resort and they guided us well. At around 08:15pm we reached the Smoky Falls Mae Fi Resort located at Nongriat which was in close proximity to the beginning of the Double Decker Living Root Bridge Trek.

The eerie road:
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-20.jpg

Entered the resort and took the Endy right next to our cottage to unload the luggage with ease :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-21.jpg

Now that looks stunning !! Does it not ? :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-22.jpg

Our cottages :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-23.jpg

Accommodation was very neat and to our liking :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-24.jpg

A picture of the Duplex Cottages :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-p9-25.jpg

We freshened up, had our dinner leisurely and retired early as we all were extremely tired and wanted to call it an early night. It was such beautiful, eventful yet a hectic day and the following day was going to be even more tiresome. So we needed to build on some energy and have a good night's sleep.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 15:11. Reason: Changes
Old 18th December 2019, 22:42   #10
BHPian

Day 5 : Part I : Trek To The Double Decker Living Root Bridge :

"Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise" said Benjamin Franklin. Don't know whether we are wise or not but we woke up at around 04:45am. With accordance to this trip's standards, we woke up late !! Cannot let go the natural alarm which the beetle rang while sleeping on the tree beside our cottage. Oh ! What a lovely morning it was. The sun was just about to rise and I got to witness some majestic colours of the sky in the morning.

The Dining Room with the valley in the background :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3263.jpg

Our cottages with the sun rising :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3267.jpg

A picture of the resort :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3269.jpg

Fantastic weather, a home like that and your 4x4 parked right behind it ! What else ? :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3278.jpg

As i was sitting on the chair and admiring the beautiful valley, Vinay and Ekta came with some Tea :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3292.jpg

That was our resort's pet ! Although I am not very fond of cats, this one was very friendly. Looked gorgeous too :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3303.jpg

We spent a lot of time in the lawn of our resort that morning. The tea sessions did not seem to end. We then freshened up, had our breakfast, prepped ourselves for the Trek to the Double Decker Living Root Bridge. The trek is a almost a 7500 Steps to and fro journey to the small village of Nongriat. Yes, which means it was going to be a challenging 3710 Steps one way so carrying much baggage was really not an option.

Here is a list of things which we carried with us :
  1. Backpack
  2. Walking Sticks - A must
  3. Windcheater (just in case it rained)
  4. Camera/ DSLR
  5. A dry wipe napkin/ face towel
  6. 2 bottles of drinking water
  7. Some food - Nuts, Dry Fruits, Sandwiches etc.
  8. An extra T-Shirt

Even though that list is very small, carrying all this was a troublesome task. Thankfully we had the company of Richard as our guide for the trek. Richard was our Resort Security Guard and also a recognized guide for this trek. Having him with us was a real blessing in disguise as he briefed us about the Khasi Tribe and their culture. He himself was a Khasi. Not to forget that he took turns in carrying our backpack as well which was more than welcoming. The guide rates for the trek is standard and we paid Rs.700 for a to and fro journey. The beginning of the trek was just around 100-200 meters from our resort and we started our walk sharp at 09:00am in the morning.

At the beginning of the trek, a customary picture :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3317.jpg

The descent began immediately and the steps were very well spaced out. Soon it became steeper and the steps became smaller with limited space to rest your foot. We started feeling weak in our knees (rather calf) already. We saw some people on their way up and they were the ones who encouraged and cheered us up.

The descent :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3321.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3323.jpg

Happiness when we saw a board saying that we were only 3 minutes away from the Longest Single Decker Living Root Bridge :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3324.jpg

That's Cocky :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3331.jpg

Some "Nimbupani" in Bamboo Glasses :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3335.jpg

The sight of the Longest Single Root Bridge. This was almost half way of the full trek :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3346.jpg

As we walked on it, it swayed and Eshita exclaimed ! :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3357.jpg

I just went across and came back. Three Cheers :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3364.jpg

We met this aged couple - Uncle was 77 and Aunty was 73. Kudos to them for doing this trek at this age. A pic of theirs with their permission :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3367.jpg

Even this chick is amazed at us :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3375.jpg

Wild Mountain Coffee growing :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3379.jpg

A kid from the village seeing the walkers pass by :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3380.jpg

Vinay at one of the swinging wire rope bridges :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3388.jpg

White Pepper growing :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3390.jpg

You are prohibited to enter the sacred grove. This is where the Khasi Tribe offer prayers to their almighty. You are even restricted to do down to the river from here as the villagers get disturbed. As responsible tourists, we should not break the rules.

A picture of the sign board :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3392.jpg

A view of the river from here. The colour is unreal :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3393.jpg

Another Swinging Metal Bridge which our convoy had to cross :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3396.jpg

The rocky river bed :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3398.jpg

The lovely water body which we crossed. This is right under the bridge :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3402.jpg

The roots are alive :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3414.jpg

Yeah and we have reached the Double Decker Living Root Bridge :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3469.jpg

Ekta on Tier 1, Eshita on Tier 2 and myself on Tier 3 :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3473-2.jpg

Vinay did not wait for this snap and was off to the Rainbow Falls which is much ahead from here. Richard wanted some time to himself and excused himself and we three decided to hang around for some time before we started our return journey back.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 15:36. Reason: Changes
Old 18th December 2019, 22:47   #11
BHPian

Day 5 : Part II : Trek Back from the Double Decker Living Root Bridge :

There was a waterfall beside the root bridge which had created a beautiful lagoon. The three of us decided to sit there with our feet in the water so that the fishes could eat up the dead skin on our toes etc. But I guess the fishes were not used to that. They rather were not bothered about our presence and kept moving around us as if we were non existent. Sadly no foot spa for us.

The clear water and the fishes :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3474.jpg

Relaxing our feet which was very required and very refreshing :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3475.jpg

Enjoyed the water flowing :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3476.jpg

We were also carrying sandwiches with us and thought it would be wise to refuel or stomachs before we started our walk back. So we sat there and enjoyed the surroundings. Although we did not enjoy a group of loud, noisy and lousy group of tourists who were there and were ruining the peace and calmness of that place. Richard was also back by now and we were prepping up for our return journey while Vinay was off to the Rainbow falls which is almost an hour trek from where we were.

Sharing some pictures of the Rainbow Falls as shared by him which seemed unreal and we regretted not joining him :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3477.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3478.jpg

Sharing a video of the Rainbow Falls :

It was around 12:30pm now and we started our trek back to our resort. Richard showed us the resort which was on the mountain across us marked with those 2 trees on the cliff :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3483.jpg

The slow walk back :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3485.jpg

The sun was on top of us and the water seemed to again change it's colour to turquoise. Simply majestic :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3488.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3490.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3493.jpg

Keeping balance carrying that weight on their backs is commendable. A tough life :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3494.jpg

Do you see a butterfly in the picture ? :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3495.jpg

We stopped for a short while mid way. Had some water and fed the cats with some cake as they refused to have dry fruits :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3503.jpg

And as they fought over it, we had to be the referee :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3504.jpg

Cooling off :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3509.jpg

A spider looked on :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3525.jpg

The last leg of the trek :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3527.jpg

What as satisfying look on our faces !! Yes we did it !! I think we had already lost some inches :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3532.jpg

The three of us :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3533.jpg

A selfie with Richard, our guide :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3537.jpg

It was around 04:30pm and we sneaked into our resort :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3535.jpg

The sun was setting and I managed to capture this beautiful sunset :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3536.jpg

As Eshita and Ekta retired to their respective rooms, I rested in the garden of the resort and went off to sleep :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3549.jpg

After around a hour, Eshita woke me up. I realized that I had slept off with my phone and the DSLR on my chest. The soil seemed to drain out all the tiredness from my body and I enjoyed being close to nature. We ordered our evening tea and snacks as Vinay also joined us. We called it an early night. It was a wonderful experience to be cherished for a lifetime.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd December 2019 at 19:19. Reason: Rule #11
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 22:50   #12
BHPian

Day 6 : Sohra Sight Seeing and to Lawbah (Mawsynram) :

Another beautiful morning. Another day of rising early. Another morning of wonderful tea sessions. We planned to have an early breakfast and leave our resort for some local sight seeing in and around Cherrapunjee. So the order of the day was not to waste time anywhere as the drive from Cherrapunjee to Lawbah at Mawsynram was close to 4 hours.

Vinay reading a book as Ekta enjoying the morning sun :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3557.jpg

We had our breakfast and managed to check out our resort only by 09:45am. A picture as we approached the main road :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3559.jpg

Sometimes taking the wrong route gets you to beautiful places ! And here we were finding Mawsmai caves :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3568.jpg

It took us 45 minutes or so to reach Mawsmai Caves and finally we saw the board :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3573.jpg

Some Monoliths where romance prevailed between Vinay and Ekta :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3574.jpg

Face Off of the Legends before the monoliths :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3575.jpg

We reached the Mawsmai Caves which was pretty well lit up. Eshita at the caves :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3599.jpg

The narrow passages :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3600.jpg

Us outside the Mawsmai Caves :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3604.jpg

The larger us outside the Mawsmai Caves :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3605.jpg

Feasting on sumptuous pineapples outside the Caves :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3611.jpg

It was around 11:20am and we headed to the 7 Sister Waterfalls which was closeby, a 15 minutes drive. We were told by fellow travelers at our resort that the Falls had dried up and hardly had any water in them. But still how could we not pay a visit. How could we ?

The literally water less 7 Sisters Water Falls :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3617.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3618.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3619.jpg

A selfie at the seven sisters water fall :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3620.jpg

Disappointed, at started around 11:45am we started for Nohkalikai Falls which was a good 30 minutes drive. The drive was scenic all throughout. The Khasi countryside did not fail to impress at any point of time.

A cemetery on a mountain top. The colours stood out and attracted our attention :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3621.jpg

The Sohra Indigenous Heritage Site having the Khasi traditional huts :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3632.jpg

At around 12:20pm we reached Nohkalikai Falls. It was crowded with a lot of visitors. However, the view point was clear and all the tourist were where the shopping was happening. We managed to get some wonderful shots of the falls.

Sharing some shots :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3637.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3638.jpg

Sharing a Video of the Clouds taking over the Nohkalikai Falls :

We also did some nik nak shopping from here and I managed to grab hold of a Baton Sword. Other good things worth buying was honey, turmeric, cinnamon sticks and handicraft which we bagged at reasonable prices. One can easily spend some good time here if one is fond of shopping and exploring the local offerings.

A lady selling turmeric and handicrafts :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3645.jpg

At around 01:00pm we left Nohkalikai Falls and started towards Dympep which was a 1.5 Hours drive from there. The plan was to explore the Mawdok Dympep View Point and take a break there for lunch. However, enroute we came across this small town where we tanked up and bought some fruits, banana cake etc. for the remaining part of our journey. Honey from this town was lip smacking.

This lady was selling oranges and we four had a jovial conversation with her bargaining for the oranges :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3654.jpg

The Endy somewhere enroute :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3664.jpg

We reached the small town of Dympep at around 03:00pm. The view point had nothing to offer but the restaurant on the opposite side had lots on offer. We preferred to stick to the basics - Maggi and Momos !! It had a good outside sitting area along side the road. The best part of this stop was that we had ordered for a Cheese Maggi and they forgot to add cheese to it. When we told them, they got a slice of Britania Cheese Slice and put it on top of our Maggi and said "You mix it" !! Are they serious ? We did as they said and believe me it tasted awesome. Something one can do at home instead of putting in grated cheese.

The eatery opposite to the view point :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3668.jpg

Our food with the Cheese Mixed :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3670.jpg

No Dessert, No Problem ! Our in house Banana Cake with Fresh Bananas and Jam tasted delicious :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3674.jpg

At around 04:00pm we started from Dympep. Our destination was around 2.5 to 3 hours away. As we moved on the weather started playing foul. It became extremely cold with strong winds. All of a sudden there was a slight drizzle and dense fog started to cover our path ahead. We were in the town of Weiloi. Slowly and gradually we kept moving ahead and understood that yes, we were entering the world's wettest place so the effect has to be there. We moved on until the weather cleared and we could take a quick break to admire the beauty around us.

The Endy parked and it's Fog Light in action :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3697-2.jpg

We reached the town of Mawsynram and were lost on where to go. We connected with the Camp People who guided us fairly. We crossed the town and headed straight till we came across a Y-Junction and took the left towards the PWD Bunglow. Further on after a sharp hairpin to the left was the way to our camp site. We were asked to look out for an "Entry Restricted Board" which was no where to be seen as it was pitch dark.

The darkness prevailed :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3705.jpg

And then we saw the board. Even with 6 eyes one could not have sighted that board kept on one side of the road :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3706.jpg

Our tented accommodation for the night at WEIING LAKEFRONT CAMP :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3709.jpg

A bonfire was set up by them for us where our dinner was also served and we really enjoyed ourselves in the company of a Doctor Couple who were from Silchar and were there to celebrate their 1st Anniversary in this tranquil place.

A close up of the bonfire :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3739.jpg

Apart from we 3 couples, there was no one there. All that was there was pin drop silence, biting cold which was around 4 degrees celsius that night and a star filled night sky. The dinner was very basic yet very tasty and we loved the fact that it was served right beside the fireplace which kept the food warm. The accommodation was excellent for a comfortable night's sleep.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 15:48. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 22:55   #13
BHPian

Day 7 : Part I : Exploring Weiing Lakefront Camp :

We had woken up before the dawn had broken after a very fulfilling sleep and were fresh to explore the Lakefront area around our campsite. The morning was cold, serene and the beetle's humming sound was playing in the background. We were truly and only surrounded by nature from all sides.

The dawn was about to break :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3763.jpg

The Tent Illuminated :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3764.jpg

This is where the wood for the fireplace was stacked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3769.jpg

The place where the hosts reside, cook and operate from. What reflections :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3780.jpg

We strolled to where we had parked the car :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3782.jpg

Notice how massive and wide the Duster looks and overshadows the Endy :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3791.jpg

Vinay admiring the surroundings :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3789.jpg

And so was Eshita :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3796.jpg

We now went back to our tent and started our walk into the uninhabited village which went through unexplored paths behind our tent. We were literally making our own track. It was a good experience to jump across the streams, walk through the farms, sneak into the jungles and keep the search on for the unknown. We came across some nice flora and fauna all throughout with pristine natural beauty. Sharing the experience.

Something Unique ? :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3804.jpg

This is an inverted photograph !! It was the reflection on the water which I could capture :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3827.jpg

A candid shot by Vinay :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3828.jpg

Into the sun :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3829.jpg

Dew Drops everywhere :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3830.jpg

The picture relates to the famous Bengali poem by Rabindra Tagore - "Jodi tor daak shune keu naa aashe tobe ekla cholo re" which means that If no one responds to your call, then go your own way alone :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3831.jpg

A change of aperture and a beautiful flower captured :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3832.jpg

Why was I poker faced as the ladies smiled ? Something fishy I guess :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3833.jpg

Crossing the Wooden barricade :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3834.jpg

Vinay and Ekta :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3839.jpg

Dew Drops again :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3848.jpg

Already throughout the trip we had sighted many Spiders but none with a distinct web. While we were heading back for some tea, we came across this humongous large Spider web with a couple of spiders in it. The web was also soaked with the overnight dew drops and it was a sight to behold. It was amazing.

The colourful spider :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3854.jpg

And the massive one :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3855.jpg

A picture of the Lakefront :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3858.jpg

We headed back for some tea and Kayaking :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3867.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3868.jpg

As Vinay and Ekta were kayaking, we enjoyed the morning cup of tea and the sunshine :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3869.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3870.jpg

A selfie with our Tents as the backdrop :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3871.jpg

The Endy was also watching us from a distance, we caught it's eye :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3877.jpg

Is that a grasshopper ? Yes it surely is :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3878.jpg

We went in for a bath and called for our breakfast which was laid outside our tent where we feasted on it enjoying the morning sun. It was a lazy morning and we enjoyed it a lot as there was no agenda at all.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 15:51. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 22:59   #14
BHPian

Day 7 : Part II : Mawsynram To Nongkhnum, Nongstoin, Mairang and Guwahati :

It was around 10:00am when we checked out from the camp site and instead of heading towards Mawsynram, we took the road on the opposite direction towards Bangladesh. We drove for some 30 minutes when we doubted that it was the wrong way. However, we kept moving on do not know why and in the quest for what.

Came across this timber bridge :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3879.jpg

A place which deserves a click :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3882.jpg

Soon we came to a Y-Junction where we realized that it was the wrong direction and turned around :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3887.jpg

Another 30 minutes back to the entrance of the road which leads to the Weiing Campsite :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3889.jpg

We had lost an hour and now we speedily headed towards our destination which was Nongkhnum Island Beach which was at least a 3.5 Hour drive. In another 30 minutes we reached Weiloi where we had encountered the dense fog the previous day. From Weiloi we took a left diversion which goes towards Nongstoin.

The roads though narrow were in fair condition :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3893.jpg

Another cemetery on a hilltop :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3907.jpg

The interior village roads with no Tar on the surface. The Endy was surely having fun and so was I :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3913.jpg

Soon we noticed a stream beside us and it looked gorgeous. We stopped for a short while :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3927.jpg

The Endy, the river and the winding roads :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3936.jpg

A group selfie :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3937-swkh.jpg

As we continued our drive into the South West Khasi Hills, the terrain kept on changing at frequent intervals. From grass covered hills, to partially barren hills, to rocky hills and a lot of agriculture happening around us. This drive was very scenic and very unexplored. It was mesmerizing in the true way. Sharing some pictures.

The houses with pillars supporting them :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3943.jpg

Crossing some Rocky terrain :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3953.jpg

Some agriculture happening on the flat lands :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3954.jpg

A happy soul :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3963.jpg

We noticed a cluster of people around a water body with many cars and bikes parked along side the road. At first we thought that there might have been an accident or something. As we crossed, we realized that the locals were having a Fishing competition which had Cash Rewards. The people around the water body were all with their fishing rods and were upto catching fishes. How fishy is that ?

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3965.jpg

The roads deteriorated as we progressed. Although it was not something that a 2WD could not do, but yes, low GC vehicles will have to be careful here although it was not of any consequence to us.

The Endy enjoying the topography :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3968.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3971.jpg

The horns of this sheep caught our attention :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3979.jpg

Soon we saw a diversion which suggested to take a left turn for Nongkhnum. It was very well laid out road cutting through rounding hills which is not seen in Meghalaya. After a long time got the opportunity to fly low and I forgot to click pictures and just gunned the Endy to it's best. There was not even a single soul on this stretch and it seemed completely uninhabited rather deserted.

And then, suddenly the road came to an abrupt end. There were No Roads ! The Endy looking at the rolling hills :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3984.jpg

No roads no problem !! At a far off distance we could see the Nongkhnum Island Beach but did not know how to reach there. I was glad that I would put the 4L to use now. There was a rocky descent on one side and no car seemed to have taken that stretch since long. The rocks were loose although the incline was not a factor, but the weight of the vehicle was. Vinay walked the stretch and gave me the go ahead to come down and there we were crawling on 4L.

A picture after the descent :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3988.jpg

The road was now rigged and we had to drive through grasslands to reach the beach :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3989.jpg

Here we were at Nongkhnum Island Beach !! We had parked the Endy and had walked down to the beach which was pristine and untouched. Sharing some pictures :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3991.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3996.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3997.jpg

The Endy parked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_3999.jpg

This Scorpio was parked when we reached. They were locals and had used some other road to be there :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_4004.jpg

After spending some time there, we headed back :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_4006.jpg

Soon we were in the town of Nongstoin which seemed to be a very busy town and probably a gateway to West Meghalaya. We were amazed on the number of Taxis parked there. Taxis in Meghalaya is not only used for commuting. Instead they are used more for carrying goods from one location to the other. We had seen an Alto full of Fish at Dympep View Point as well. I guess it must be a trade hub as well.

The M800 and the Altos parked :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_4013.jpg

Our plan was to head back to Guwahati the same day and stay the night. However, Vinay got a call and decided to head back to Kolkata the same day. His office booked the tickets for a train which was at 09:00pm tonight. It was already 03:15pm as we were leaving Nongkhnum. The GPS showed the ETA at Guwahati Station was 6 hours from now. It was a very cut to cut situation considering we had to cover 200Kms on the hills. I knew my driving skills would be put to test. Real Test !!

Luckily the roads supported the spirited drive back to Mairang and then onto the G.S. Road which was butter smooth and empty. We were hungry also as we had not had lunch. So we decided to munch on the go and save up whatever time we could and ensure that Vinay and Ekta reached the station in time.

Flying low with an Endy @ 120kmph steadily :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_4023.jpg

It was around 05:00pm when Ekta found an enroute eatery and we rushed in for some soup, rice, noodles and coffee. The best part was that it was hot and they understood our situation and prepped the food in 5 minutes. It was good, filling and sorted the purpose.

A stranger looking at the Endy with amazement :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-img_4024.jpg

We managed to drop Vinay and Ekta at A.T. Road in Guwahati at around 08:00am from where the station was only 10 minutes away. They got an Uber and we bid each other goodbye. They reached the station at 08:15pm and I got a sigh of relief that they managed to make it in time to the station. We now moved to our hotel which was off A.T. Road and checked in, to end the day.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 15:55. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 23:06   #15
BHPian

Day 8 : At Guwahati

We had a good nights sleep and headed straight to Kamakhya Mandir after having our breakfast. Sharing some pictures at the Kamakhya Mandir :

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-21.11.19-pic001-1.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-21.11.19-pic001-2.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-21.11.19-pic001-3.jpg

Picture from a view point :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-21.11.19-pic001-4.jpg

The Endy parked at the view point :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-21.11.19-pic001-5.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-21.11.19-pic001-6.jpg

I had many people to meet and some errands to sort at Guwahati and the day just went flying by. The evening was extremely well spent with a friend at a fine dining restaurant at Guwahati which was the icing on the cake.

Day 9 : Guwahati to Siliguri
We departed at around 09:00am from Guwahati headed straight to Siliguri without wasting any time. I again had some people to meet and some errands to sort in Siliguri so wanted the 2nd half of the day for that.

The Endy parked at the Hotel Portico :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-22.11.19-10.jpg

We stopped at Jaldhaka Tourist lodge for lunch :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-22.11.19-11.jpg

The Best Dal Tarka I have ever had was here !! I can go back for this :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-22.11.19-12.jpg

The river bed was inviting the Endeavour but we had no time to waste :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-22.11.19-13.jpg

No time for monkey business although we were surrounded by them :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-22.11.19-14.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-22.11.19-15.jpg

Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-22.11.19-16.jpg

The Teesta was clean, green and calm :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-22.11.19-17.jpg

We reached our Hotel on Sevoke Road - Hotel Ganpati. It was a newly made property with ample parking space. That is where I had all my work and it suited my purpose.

Day 10 : Siliguri to Kolkata

The hotel did not have adequate people to manage the Check Out and do the Billing which was annoying. Then the Invoice was raised which was faulty. The final Invoice again took some time and then their Internet was not working so the Card Machine could not work. We just paid cash and settled the bill and asked them to hurry up in getting the luggage etc.

I found this Volvo parked beside the Endy and admired the Endy more than the Volvo :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-23.11.19-1.jpg

A customary snap bidding the Tea Gardens a good bye :
Teenage Endeavour to the Abode of Clouds : Exploring Meghalaya-23.11.19-2.jpg

There is nothing much about the return leg of the journey. It was just me, Eshita, our Endy and our love for the road. We were missing the kids at home and were longing to see them now. We usually travel with the kids along but this time it was not possible since they had their school, I had my work in this region, the fact that we needed some time off the kids and the fact that such itinerary and the trek would be close to impossible for the kids to take on.

We started our departure from Siliguri at around 08:00am in the morning and reached Kolkata by 09:30pm at night. The drive was pretty uneventful and I am glad about it. The trip in itself had a lot of ingredients which has made this travelogue extremely comprehensive for all fellow travelers to assimilate the data and plan their trip to Meghalaya in the future which still is very unexplored.

The last few important bits to keep a note of when travelling to this region :
  • Mobile Connectivity - Apart form Jio, no other network was successfully working all throughout. Leave apart Data Connection
  • Food - For vegetarians, food can be a bit of a concern as there is not much on offer. The place thrives a lot on pork. Do indulge in the local bakeries
  • Weather - Very unpredictable so always carry an Umbrella/ Raincoat with you
  • Travel Risk - Be aware of your surroundings as there is not much inhabitation in these areas. Make sure you are connected with your homestay/ hotel at all times. On our return journey, we were chased by a KTM Bike without a number plate in between Shillong to Guwahati after dark and very tactfully got rid of him
  • Other things to carry : It will be better if you carry an extension wire/ multi pin plug with you as most of the places where we stayed had limited plug points in every room. Also the fact that it is more towards the east, the sun rises early and sets early. So carrying a Torch with you is always better as the town sleeps early and the streets become isolated
Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in advance

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 23rd December 2019 at 16:01. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (32) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks